Anthony Horowitz's James Bond novel - Trigger Mortis

Comments

I look forward to a new bond book
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    007InVT wrote: »
    September 8th!

Game on!

At least we now have a date to look forward to. :)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    September 8th!

Game on!

At least we now have a date to look forward to. :)

Have a lovely date, guys.
    September 8th!

Game on!

A brilliant brithday gift even I f I prefer to be born on the same day Star Trek first aired on televison ever.

September 8th is a disaster - I'll have to move my holiday!
  • 007InVT007InVT Classified
    I say we all plan to meet up for the launch on London!
    Good to get a date. Looking forward to it
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    I say we all plan to meet up for the launch on London!

I would be up for that !.
    I've moved my holidays and am definitely on for meeting up in London either on the 8th are before.
    Let's see what launch events are planned and liaise accordingly.
    For some reason, I have a strong feeling Horowitz is going to break the curse of the continuation author !
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Villiers53 wrote: »
    I've moved my holidays and am definitely on for meeting up in London either on the 8th are before.
    Let's see what launch events are planned and liaise accordingly.
    For some reason, I have a strong feeling Horowitz is going to break the curse of the continuation author !

Now that is commitment to the literary James Bond. I like it!
    I would definitely go to this if I was still living in London. I went to Lucy Fleming's talk at Waterstones the day 'Devil May Care' was released. It was interesting when she spoke about her memories of Mr Fleming. I went to the book launch in the morning too before work but by the time I got there it was pretty much over. I had such bad luck. I got up at 5am, got on the bus and the street was blocked because there was a fire. So, I got off the bus, walked for a while and hopped on the tube only to experince a lengthy delay. Couldn't believe my bad luck. I got up so I had plenty of time, then of all days, when so many things could go wrong, it just happened to be this day. Well, luckily the book was rubbish.:)
    Mrcoggins wrote: »

This looks interesting but I think I'll keep my powder dry for a launch event.
    Last time I went to SOLO event at the festival hall and the advantage of that is to buy the book and get it signed. Albeit what lay between the covers was somewhat of a disappointment!
    Mrcoggins, if you do go - please get some questions in!
    Also, I assume this means the title will be announced?
    I was at the Festival Hall for the Solo Event ! And was close enough to the front to get a question in so I asked about why Bond had been given an Interceptor to drive you might remember his lame answer to which my reply was You don't drive do you !.
    What did he reply?
    Mrcoggins wrote: »
    I was at the Festival Hall for the Solo Event ! And was close enough to the front to get a question in so I asked about why Bond had been given an Interceptor to drive you might remember his lame answer to which my reply was You don't drive do you !.

Yes, I remember!

Yeah, what was Boyd's answer?
    Bounine wrote: »
    Yeah, what was Boyd's answer?
    I think he said something inane like; "It was a car that always captured my imagination in the '60s. It was an iconic beautiful car."
    Then, if I remember well the man I now know to be Mrcoggins pulled him up on it and said; "You don't drive do you?".
    Which is true, he doesn't. Unfortunately we also know he can't write Bond books either!
    That is my recollection but if Mrcoggins remembers differently, I'm sure he'll set me straight.
    The good news is Horowitz can drive!

Villiers53 wrote: »
    The good news is Horowitz can drive!

Ha - nice.
    Thanks. You'd think because he doesn't even drive that he'd have just played it safe and put Bond back in a Bentley.
    Bounine wrote: »
    Thanks. You'd think because he doesn't even drive that he'd have just played it safe and put Bond back in a Bentley.

True but in the round, it was probably one of his smaller faux pas.
    His biggest was not putting Bond into a thriller.
    Still, doubtless he was handsomely paid!

Solo was just so ungodly boring that I swear it was like Boyd was trying to bore us out of the three one hit wonders Deaver was the best but even still his book was ok at best
    I enjoyed it, I read it in one sitting on a plane ride from England to Uganda.
    Went with my work, visiting charity projects that they're involved in.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    I enjoyed reading Solo, but when I finished it, it didn't leave me anything.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I'm another who found " Solo" boring, and I have read all the books several times.
    Although I have high hopes for A Horowitz's novel.
    These novels do need a bit of injection of sheer thriller writing in the main.

I hope it doesn't become a poisoned chalice.
    Writing these modern books is tough as there is the Fleming books and the movies and the publisher wants to cater to both audiences in order to obtain the maximum profit.

Fleming and the movies are worlds apart, the only successful fusion of the two are perhaps the Christopher Wood novelizations. A tough balance to find as proven by the various great authors that stumbled and never lived up to the expectations.
    These novels do need a bit of injection of sheer thriller writing in the main.

I hope it doesn't become a poisoned chalice.
    Frankly this is 100% down to IFP and as a life long Bond fan I have to say I feel very let down.
    The adult 007 literary franchise should be one of the most valuable in the world but IFP's mismanagement of affairs has doubtless collapsed the value of the asset and after the complete debacle of the celebrity trilogy I do think that they are absolutely in the last chance saloon.
    If Horowitz fails I can't see any 'A' list writer touching the franchise with a barge pole.
    That said, I have a lot of faith in Anthony and I think he'll probably turn the tide. If he does, IFP would be crazy not to try and lock him into a 3 book deal.
    If they are, for whatever reason, obliged to stick with the celebrity author strategy then they should open up a dialogue with the fans that post in this forum to get recommendations. The more sensible posters that haunt this hallowed cyber hall have a much better understanding of Bond than the IFP board.
    Well @Villiers53, they did not manage to keep hold of Higson who did a splendid job with the young Bond, much better than I ever expected. And that is not even a a-list writer.
    Still have to read the Cole novel.