The James Bond Wardrobe/Style Thread

Comments

NicNac wrote: »
    Anything can look good on a well toned person. A polo shirt (as above)looks good on Connery and Craig, but put the same item on a man with moobs or beer belly and you get a completely different look altogether. ;)

That's pretty much the fundamental rule of aesthetics that somehow hardly anyone seems to grasp.
    I disagree. During this whole unfortunate discussion, I haven't had the impression, people were suggesting, everything would look equally good on anybody.
    Sandy wrote: »
    I'm proud (and thankful) that most of my life my father not only made me clothes (when I was a child, mostly, women clothes were never his forte) or modified and fitted the clothes I bought. The suits I own were all refitted by him :) Even today whenever I go home I still always take clothes for him to adjust even though I can do the basics myself. I have learned more from him than anyone here can imagine. A client can think he knows a lot about tailoring, but the tailor is the one who knows all the secrets ;)

Absolutely - one of the best points in the thread.
    The tailor is the magician in all of this.
    As soon as I could afford it, I went to Anderson & Sheppard where the great
    John Hitchcock cut my suits for more than thirty years. I would simply tell him what I wanted and then ask him what he thought of the idea. If he liked it — which was mostly the case — we'd do it. If not, we wouldn't. He knew best and that is why a man should find a tailor that suits him and stick with him.
    That is why 007 should go bespoke. TF, Brioni (although they did a pretty good job in CR) will always be a compromise. They are adapting their existing models and as my son eventually found out, it's just not the same.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Germanlady wrote: »
    I disagree. During this whole unfortunate discussion, I haven't had the impression, people were suggesting, everything would look equally good on anybody.

Well I'm saying the opposite to 'everything would look equally good on anybody'.
    Yeah, I know. I was answering to doghouse, who felt, we didn't get THAT exact point.
    What was done, was comparing DC's build to others and whether or not the designer of his clothes took into account , that he is not, at least not as Bond, slender and shorter then the other Bonds. Some felt, they did fine, some disagreed.
    Yeah, I know. I was answering to doghouse, who felt, we didn't get THAT exact point.
    What was done, was comparing DC's build to others and whether or not the designer of his clothes took into account , that he is not, at least not as Bond, slender and shorter then the other Bonds. Some felt, they did fine, some disagreed.

I'm not talking about you, I'm talking about all of civilization.
    Yup, makes sense, because what you see on the streets certainly is a confirmation of that point.
    Yup, makes sense, because what you see on the streets certainly is a confirmation of that point.

:D
    doghouse wrote: »
    Part of the communication breakdown seems to be the argument that non fitting is fashion, which isn't correct. Note these examples are for current leading fashion, not that Bond should be in any of this stuff (I can see those responses already).

@doghouse, if they plan a reboot of 'The Avengers' - this could be a look!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I learned this the hard way when younger. I used to buy clothes to look like my heroes, and realized not all of them worked on me. The store mirrors can be deceptive. Normally, photographs are more revealing. Over time, I learnt what worked for me. It even applies to colours (some colours work on some people, and not others).

I was in an Omega store recently, and a very attractive and well dressed lady behind the counter mentioned that I pulled off the Planet Ocean 42 I was wearing very well. I asked her what she meant, and she said some people come in to the store wearing it and it looks ridiculous on their wrist (it is a hefty watch) - like they're trying too hard. I know what she means.

Fine tailoring and the cut of suit can certainly accentuate the positives and downplay the negatives which we all have.

@Villiers53 & @Germanlady, it's good to see both of you back on this thread. I look forward to your comments on SP's wardrobe when we get more photos.
    bondjames wrote: »

cr8-cl-shrt2.jpg

TB%2BShrublands%2BPolo.png

crgray-shirt1.jpg

tbstripe-main1.jpg

Interestingly, Lindy Hemming also did the clothing for Nolan's Batman films, where I thought Christian Bale looked absolutely fabulous in his suits.

I found this quote from her in the article quite telling:
    "apart from the width of lapels, I don't know that Bond needs to have changed much from Sean Connery to now."

Sunspel do the absolute best Polo shirts bar none!
    Their fit is amazing, their cloth is an incredible mesh cotton and most important of all, they keep their shape and have collars that stand up.
    Furthermore, they've now introduced a long sleeve version - black and navy blue are the only two colours you need!
    Agents - shop now.

The looser fits in CR are symptom of the era, as the tightness of the SF ones. It just reinforces that to remain timeless, balance is needed. You could walk down the street with the suits from Dr No today and no one would blink an eye. The CR suits did fit at least, whereas SF did not.

I agree the casual wardrobe in CR was great. Also would love to see a return of the white dinner jacket, especially with a shawl collar.

Under no circumstances should this be attempted.
    Few men have ever pulled this off.
    Humphrey Bogart, Bryan Ferry and a certain young Connery - yes and oh, I almost forgot, a great villain - Adolfo Celi (aka Emilio Largo that high ranking member of SPECTRE) all managed it with élan, but hair colour and skin tone are absolutely key and height helps.
    For Craig, and all other mortals, the risks are just not worth taking.
    The chances of another guest at the soiree passing a glass and asking for a refill are high and heavens forbid that somebody shouts ice cream please!
    DC's best outing in evening wear was CR and he should stick with that and as for a white DJ with a black shawl collar — sorry but this is Bond, not Ant & Dec.
    Black tie means black or maybe midnight blue (see M's suit at the BAFTAS).
    All IVNSHO, of course.

• MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    There was at least one other Blue DJ at the Skyfall Premier I was wearing Mine
    It's on my profile picture.
    The white DJ is just as classic as the Black if worn in the warmer climes. Quite refined too. Any glance at classic Apparel Arts or Esquire illustrations will show this.

1935_AA_v5_n4_detail_sweetened.jpg
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

Ah, understood.
    The white DJ is just as classic as the Black if worn in the warmer climes. Quite refined too. Any glance at classic Apparel Arts or Esquire illustrations will show this.

1935_AA_v5_n4_detail_sweetened.jpg
    Good defence @doghouse and I like the visual but I maintain my position.
    It's too dandified for Bond and this is definitely of an era. If wide trousers ever came back (heavens forbid), I may change my mind but in the interim, I'll stay as I am.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    9026f2370fb1e084fd7589d9761784ea.jpg
    fa_317_sinatrabowl6_970.jpg
    article-2475000-18F5F1B700000578-592_634x844.jpg
    indy1.jpg

I don't know a thing about fashion or style, but I know I like these... ;)
    ggl007 wrote: »
    9026f2370fb1e084fd7589d9761784ea.jpg
    fa_317_sinatrabowl6_970.jpg
    article-2475000-18F5F1B700000578-592_634x844.jpg
    indy1.jpg

I don't know a thing about fashion or style, but I know I like these... ;)

Bogey does fine but as for the rest @gg1007, they are fine examples of why this sartorial
    challenge should not be attempted!
    Frank looks pretty good to me.
    edited March 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Frank, icon though he may be, has a very ill fitting suit to me in that photo.

Harrison looks pretty spiffy though, no matter what one may think of the combination.

As I said earlier, a white dinner jacket is difficult to pull off. It's not for everybody. I'm sure they'll make it work in SP, but boy are they being ambitious.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Really, Bogey pulls it off best in my opinion. :)
    Frank looks pretty good to me.

I'm a huge Frank fan but he was small and slightly built.
    The shawl collar was a completely wrong choice but to be fair, it probably wasn't his choice.
    Back in the '40s & '50s, the white DJ was practically a uniform demanded by the big band leaders.
    Left to his own devices, Frank was a pretty cool dresser and few have ever worn a hat with his panache.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Perhaps it is a risk but this...

bond2.jpg

Is really worth it IMO.

What do you think of this one?:

draper-wdj.jpg
    Jon Hamm can make anything look good imho.

There is nothing left to say about Connery. The gold standard.

Harrison looks pretty spiffy though, no matter what one may think of the combination.

As I said earlier, a white dinner jacket is difficult to pull off. It's not for everybody. I'm sure they'll make it work in SP, but boy are they being ambitious.

I think it's just the way he is throwing his shoulder back in the photo. I agree on Dr Jones though.

I'm frankly puzzled as to the angst over the white DJ. It's a very conservative choice in a warm climate.

I think it's just the way he is throwing his shoulder back in the photo. I agree on Dr Jones though.

I'm frankly puzzled as to the angst over the white DJ. It's a very conservative choice in a warm climate.

I'm only worried because any reservations we may have about this team's ability to get the cut right will only be more obvious on a white jacket. It's more apparent, due to the white mass that also reflects light. Particularly with Craig's build/height, they have to get it just right. It could look fabulous, or be a mess. I'm hopeful, but let's see.
    I can imagine Craig looking good in white. Is it not acceptable nay encouraged in tropical climes? Plus it's another icon. Does Rog not wear one in AVTAK - my memory escapes me. And Octopussy. Though not Egypt in TSWLM

Is the white DJ confirmed from the script? Hope so just for the sake of something different.

Ford looked great in that at the start of temple of Doom. Though it was set in the thirties. My main concern would be that in a contemporary Bond it would look old fashioned. More so than a black DJ.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 1,314
    To be honest if my understanding is correct
    A restaurant car scene on a train in a white DJ.

This sounds the most Bondian thing ever.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 260

I'm only worried because any reservations we may have about this team's ability to get the cut right will only be more obvious on a white jacket. It's more apparent, due to the white mass that also reflects light. Particularly with Craig's build/height, they have to get it just right. It could look fabulous, or be a mess. I'm hopeful, but let's see.

Valid concern, but I do think one thing they have done well is the dinner jacket. So I am optimistic.
    Matt007 wrote: »
    I can imagine Craig looking good in white. Is it not acceptable nay encouraged in tropical climes?

Is the white DJ confirmed from the script? Hope so just for the sake of something different.

More than acceptable, it's generally preferred in warm places. It's really a matter of appropriateness. It would be really out of place in cold season of Europe, and the most common in a black tie event in Nassau. All depends on circumstance.

I have no idea if it's confirmed or people are just speculating. I'd like to see it again.
    Really, Bogey pulls it off best in my opinion. :)

And yet, he was really short and always had that unhealthy look to him. Most likely a pale teint, too. Plus he was slim close to boney, no muscle. If you feel, he pulls it off, we should be fine, no doubt. I dont like the examples thought, where they seem to just hang down with no tailoring. Even Connery, I am afraid to say. I hope for some more finesse.
    Like some said, we did good in the tux department so far and with the same designer, it should be good. What he needs, is a teint to go with it, so hopefully he has time for that in Morocco, before the scenes are shot.