Last Video Game You Played?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    'The Last Of Us: Remastered' (PS4)

(MASSIVE SPOILERS FOLLOW)
    Just left the power plant and am sitting in the woods talking to Tommy about the lab. In the last two hours, this game reallllllllllly amped up the emotional toll it takes, especially with the loss of Henry/Sam and the intense conversation between Joel and Ellie before the assault on the Ranch House. This game is tugging at the heart strings.
    I've been playing Arkham Asylum, and I've also got Arkham City and Origins once I finish that one. So far it's a lot of fun on PC.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I've been in a gangster mood recently, so I just ordered The Godfather: The Game and Scarface: The World is Yours off Amazon. Can anybody who's played either of them give me your impressions?
    Well, I beat 'The Last Of Us: Remastered' a few days ago. Honestly, there's not much to say about it that hasn't been so eloquently stated on these forums, and I'm with the masses: one of the greatest games I've ever played in my life, and it managed to not end the way I thought it would, which was a big plus.

However, I decided to play through it again on Survivor mode, and am having issues with it - not just because it's hard (it's definitely kicking my ass), but because of how unrealistic it seems.

I'd say there are about 90% less supplies in the world than there are in Easy Mode. I think it's a bit extreme how little they give you, and how the game expects you to require double the supplies to make medkits and whatnot. It's also really unrealistic (in a game that IS realistic to me) that the enemies will sit and fire unlimited shots at you, yet never drop ammo when you kill them. Why can't each enemy with a firearm at least drop a bullet or two instead of magically losing their weaponry?

I was also reading up on Survivor Mode tips, and some of them say to let your ally do all the work - uhh, bad idea. The friendly AI seems so worthless and incompetent in this difficulty mode for some reason. I'll run and run and hide from Hunters, Clickers, etc., and my friendly AI will just run in circles or stare at oncoming enemies and do nothing about it, aside from occasionally getting grabbed, requiring me to help out.

Needless to say, this isn't ruining my time with the game, it's just that some of these aspects are really pissing me off because they go against the nature of the game in easier difficulty levels. It's almost as if the game changes, becoming unrealistic and kicking you in the teeth for playing a harder difficulty level. It's pretty cheap.

So if I were you, I'd stick to the easier difficulty levels if you want some fun shoot-em-ups and intense stealth sections where you CAN get out of a bind if need be. I'm at the part where:
    Joel just woke up from his pain-filled sleep, and am now going down the snowy roads to find Ellie.

Thankfully, the hardest part for me is over: defending the elevator when you play as Ellie (alongside David). I had a feeling that entire section would be a nightmare, and it most certainly was.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I'm glad you enjoyed it, @Creasy. Now, I have a question...
    Do you think what Joel did at the end was right? Not only in killing dozens of Fireflies to save Ellie from death, but also in lying to her about what exactly went on? I love the moral ambiguity of the game, especially that last section, though for me the decision was easy: I'd have done the same thing as Joel in a heartbeat. I grew to love Ellie so much that nothing was going to stop me from saving her. While the Fireflies took into account the concerns of the world's population and strove to find a cure before any others succumbed to the cordyceps virus, they did so by taking Ellie's choice out of the equation and basically used her.

I think this is what causes Joel to strike back: not only has he too gotten attached to Ellie, but he also respects human choice and the value of any truly good human life. In his mind, though Ellie is the "chosen one" who could save thousands, she shouldn't have to die if she doesn't want to, and nobody has the right to use her like the Fireflies did. While Marlene could therefore be seen as villainous for planning to have Ellie killed, I can't completely hate her either because you can hear in her voice recordings how much guilt and confusion she has over what to do. It's a rough choice, and I don't think either the Fireflies or Joel were more right than the other to do what each did. I just find more moral value in Joel's decision to save Ellie from death, regardless of how much of humanity could be saved through her post-mortem operation. She's way too amazing a girl to sacrifice, no matter the good that could come afterwards.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7,
    I most certainly see both sides of it, but I, too, would've immediately slaughtered all of the Fireflies, grabbed Ellie, escaped, and lied to her. I, too, grew incredibly attached to her, especially when Joel saves her from David. That moment was too tender not to love her.

It's a 'The death of one is the savior of thousands' situation, but I could see them going through with it, killing Ellie, and the cure cannot be extracted or something happens to make the cure not readily available/useful. She wasn't worth it in the end. I know that's how she would've wanted it to go - her death for the salvation of all the other lives out there - but the peace they find with Tommy and the horses at the dam at the end of the game is much, much sweeter. I'm glad it ended that way, and in just a few chapters, Joel goes from almost hating Ellie to treating her exactly like his daughter. That progression was sweet and beautiful.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited January 2015 Posts: 13,882
    I reformatted my PS3's hdd again a few days ago. And one of the games I have been playing lately is...

Splinter Cell: Blacklist

Sam_Fisher.jpg

As a fan of the series, having played the first 4 with Michael Ironside as Fisher, Blacklist took some getting used too. But now it is one of mt favouriite games, and my second favourite SC game after Pandora Tomorrow.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Really? I still think Chaos theory is the best in the series.

As for the last of us, it's such an epic game. After completing it, I got that overwhelming and satisfied feeling that I got after playing metal gear solid back in '99. The last of us truly is a remarkable game and naughty dog smacked it out the park with it and to think I was fuming at ND for making this game when it was first announced when all I wanted was for them to give me more unchartered games.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7,
    I most certainly see both sides of it, but I, too, would've immediately slaughtered all of the Fireflies, grabbed Ellie, escaped, and lied to her. I, too, grew incredibly attached to her, especially when Joel saves her from David. That moment was too tender not to love her.

It's a 'The death of one is the savior of thousands' situation, but I could see them going through with it, killing Ellie, and the cure cannot be extracted or something happens to make the cure not readily available/useful. She wasn't worth it in the end. I know that's how she would've wanted it to go - her death for the salvation of all the other lives out there - but the peace they find with Tommy and the horses at the dam at the end of the game is much, much sweeter. I'm glad it ended that way, and in just a few chapters, Joel goes from almost hating Ellie to treating her exactly like his daughter. That progression was sweet and beautiful.
    Dave absolutely threw me for a loop. The intense, edge of the seat moment I spoke about to you before was the section where he was chasing after you (Ellie) with a machete in that building. It was so intense and I could see him right behind me all the time. I don't get jumpy during games, but that section really creeped me out and made me quite nervous. And to think, Nolan North voices him.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7,
    That part is freaky, but I was totally confused by it when I went through it on Survivor difficulty today because, when I did it on Easy, I would just grab a battle, throw it at him, stun him, stab him, and repeat. On Survivor difficulty, there were no bottles/bricks, so at first I couldn't figure out what to do, until I realized that you have to sneak around those tables and benches and stab him in the back. So many times during this when I was trying to figure out what to do exactly that I would run to a corner of the restaurant and freak out as I was hiding, no clue when he would be coming or what direction he would be coming from, sometimes just to have him pop up right next to me.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Mass Effect

Snagged the whole trilogy for $10, so I just started the first one. I'll have to wait to see how crappy the end of the trilogy is when I get to the third one, but so far, I'm enjoying it.
    James Bond 007 for the Game boy on my Game boy emulator.

I am playing the james bond games I didn't play on first release personally I love thios game it's really a James Bond RPG that gives you so much freedom that inspite of it's poor graphics almost blows EA and Activision right out of the water. The only down side is I am in Marakech and have no idea what to do I prefer a general sense like a map or something. But like I said the game is very fun and I am going to try to beat it as it gives me the ability to Play a new to me James Bond Game. I also plan on playing The World is not enoughfor gameboy and eventually getting a Playstation and the 3 Bond video games for PS1 and enjoying those
    I have the actual cart. But I did play more of it on the emulator.
    Mass Effect

Snagged the whole trilogy for $10, so I just started the first one. I'll have to wait to see how crappy the end of the trilogy is when I get to the third one, but so far, I'm enjoying it.

Wow @Agent007391, definition of a freaking steal! My friend loves those games and even set up a gaming group at his campus where the members create their own characters and play out story-based scenarios on what I assume is the multiplayer portion of those games.

As for me, I recently finished the campaign of Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag before going back to school and got madly hooked. I have rarely been so absorbed in a game that I would play it all day and never feel the hours pass by. There's so much meat in the game and stuff for you to do, like upgrading your Jackdaw. The economic system of the game is great as well and you really feel empowered every time you buy a new upgrade for your ship or claim a beastly man-o-war for your fleet.

I love the character of Edward and the amazing development he goes through. While I enjoyed his lovable rogue persona early on, as the game went on the layers behind his character were peeled back and we got to see a man who finally realized the things that are most important in life: your comrades and the value of standing up for something you know is right. Each character in the game was amazingly well developed and I enjoyed that there wasn't just one baddie; in this game, there's far more enemies than goodies on your side.

I won't say anything about it, but the final bit of the game absolutely got me big time, and I must say I haven't been that affected by a game's conclusion since Red Dead Redemption. I now have an unhealthy obsession with the song "The Parting Glass," which I feel absolutely no guilt for, whatsoever.

My love of Black Flag made me curious about the past AC games, so when I saw Assassin's Creed II on the PSN store for just $12 last week, I decided to get it and finally see what Ezio was all about. I have only played a weekend's worth of the game so far, but I do enjoy it, and Ezio's character, who also develops wonderfully. Admittedly, it is hard to play AC II after the amazing formula Ubisoft have crafted for the series in Black Flag, which causes the combat and some of the platforming of #2 to stick out as less polished than I'd like. Still, I am enjoying myself and can't wait to get to Revelations where I'll get to play as an older Ezio kicking Templar butt all over the place. I now can't stop pronouncing everything I say in a monotone Italian accent, and I'm quite concerned.
  • @Brady Really glad you're enjoying the series :) I think Black Flag is most fun to play by far (like you said, it's hard to go back to the older games after playing that) and the story was amazing but Ezio is still my favourite protagonist and I think AC II is still my favourite of the series. Loved Edward but I feel more attatched to Ezio, probably because he had three games spanning pretty much his whole life, and there's sort of an atmosphere to AC II that I really love. The soundtrack, the Italian cities, I really enjoyed all of it, and the story was epic.

The platforming wasn't really improved until AC III (which has the same parkour/combat system you enjoyed in IV) but the combat is massively improved in Brotherhood. Revelations is very similar to Brotherhood but I found that the story more than made up for it. It was a great end to Ezio's saga.

If you do play all the Ezio games, be sure to watch the short film Embers when you're finished (it's on Youtube). Revelations is the ending to his story as an Assassin but Embers is sort of an epilogue and it's really good.

Agreed on Black Flags ending
    When Edward is about to go and see his daughter, and he looks up and sees Thatch and the others sitting there, that was really touching, and I found it tragic how his wife died, since the whole reason he went to the Carribean originally was to try and earn a better life for her and himself.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I never cared for Ezio, and was glad when the series finally moved on. Though Connor was nothing special either, talk about whiny. Black Flag is my favourite game, with Edward (it has nothing to do with him being Welsh... ok, maybe a little.... a lot) my favourite Assassin. I still like the original game, but Blag Flag, with it's epic, sprawling piratey-ness leap frogged it's way to being my favourite AC game. I feel it's about time I picked up AC: Rogue.
    Mass Effect

Wow @Agent007391, definition of a freaking steal!

I got lucky. Gamestop was having a "3 games on this shelf for $10" deal, and all three games just happened to be in the box. I was going to go with Rage, Max Payne 3 and any other game I found that even partially caught my fancy, but then I found those.
    edited January 2015 Posts: 28,694
    @Brady Really glad you're enjoying the series :) I think Black Flag is most fun to play by far (like you said, it's hard to go back to the older games after playing that) and the story was amazing but Ezio is still my favourite protagonist and I think AC II is still my favourite of the series. Loved Edward but I feel more attatched to Ezio, probably because he had three games spanning pretty much his whole life, and there's sort of an atmosphere to AC II that I really love. The soundtrack, the Italian cities, I really enjoyed all of it, and the story was epic.

The platforming wasn't really improved until AC III (which has the same parkour/combat system you enjoyed in IV) but the combat is massively improved in Brotherhood. Revelations is very similar to Brotherhood but I found that the story more than made up for it. It was a great end to Ezio's saga.

If you do play all the Ezio games, be sure to watch the short film Embers when you're finished (it's on Youtube). Revelations is the ending to his story as an Assassin but Embers is sort of an epilogue and it's really good.

Agreed on Black Flags ending
    When Edward is about to go and see his daughter, and he looks up and sees Thatch and the others sitting there, that was really touching, and I found it tragic how his wife died, since the whole reason he went to the Carribean originally was to try and earn a better life for her and himself.

@thelivingroyale, what ways does the combat change in Brotherhood and Revelations? If it's anything close to Black Flag's system, I'll be happy. I may even play AC III just for that combat system, and the story has also compelled me, though I know how most of it plays out.

By the way, I see why you've often called Ezio the Bond of the Renaissance. Very much a suave charmer, but I also see a bit of Batman in him. Though maybe that's just because of his cool shoulder capes. ;) At any rate, I can't wait to scour all the Assassin Tomb's to get Altair's armor, which is nearly all black and looks downright badass. I thank you very much for cluing me into these games, sir.
    I see more Batman in Ezio than Bond, and Revelations is his Dark Knight Returns. Still, we didn't need three games with him, that was just ridiculous. Even more so that we haven't spent that much time with any other Assassin.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 12,243
    Is anyone else getting the New 3DS XL and/or Majora's Mask 3D?
    I see more Batman in Ezio than Bond, and Revelations is his Dark Knight Returns. Still, we didn't need three games with him, that was just ridiculous. Even more so that we haven't spent that much time with any other Assassin.

I think Ezio and the extensive history of the Renaissance period warranted three games, but I see your point. I wish we got more Edward than we did.

Regardless, I can't wait for Assassin's Creed Victory set in Victorian London. One of my favorite historical periods, by far. How much you wanna bet Queen Victoria is a Templar? Prince Albert's death could actually turn out to be an assassination mission for the lead protagonist, too.
  • The Ezio trilogy happened sort of by accident. They originally planned to make three Assassin's Creed games, finishing with an entirely modern day AC III starring Desmond to finish the trilogy but AC II was hugely successful (critically and financially) so plans changed and AC became a franchise. A new version of AC III was drafted up (the one we have now although I'm not sure why they ditched the entirely modern day idea, maybe because of the negative reaction to the modern day plot) and they made Brotherhood to bridge the gap. But AC III took longer than expected so they made a third Ezio game.

Now they do things differently and they have multiple teams working on different games (which is why AC IV was very different to AC III, despite only coming out a year later, they began developing it after Revelations; Unity also entered development around this time), the games get more development time and they don't seem to be doing sequels any more, which I'm in too minds about. On the one hand it's cool having a new Assassin every year but on the other hand one of the reasons Ezio was so great was because we had three games to see him develop and grow attatched to him. We haven't had that with any of the others. I think with Edward I understand (his story was done, and they'd already showed what happened after Black Flag in the Haytham novel) but there's lots of potential for a sequel with Connor (who I've really come to like, I think he is a very underrated character). The events of AC III would leave anyone really damaged. A sequel with a bitter, jaded Connor struggling to find a new purpose to fight would have been great. Why not give his story a conclusion? They could have had him be the protagonist in Unity rather than Arno. Would have made for a better game imo.

@Brady The combat in Brotherhood does get a lot closer to the III/IV system. It still uses the basic controls of AC 2 but there are loads of improvements to make it faster and more fluid. You can now break enemies defense (like in Black Flag) by kicking them so it means a fight won't be broken up by a guard blocking. You can also instantly counter kill any enemy starting in Brotherhood (not like AC II where it'd take multiple counters to kill a guard), attacks do a lot more damage (making combat faster, and Ezio seems to hit quicker too) and chain killing was introduced. It's much faster and more fluid than AC II. I wasn't the biggest fan of Brotherhood but the combat was amazing.

I think AC III is worth playing but it's not on the same level as some of the others, the side content was pretty dull (apart from hunting, forts and the naval missions) and the story missions are often annoying and too restrictive.

I've been playing AC Rogue lately, it's brilliant and it might end up overtaking AC II as my favourite of the series, it's really great. I'm near the end so far and the story and the new enviroments are brilliant. Rogue is in a lot of ways what AC III should have been. The enviroments are more colourful and fun to explore (New York for example, which was also in AC III, is much bigger, vibrant, more colourful and better for parkour than the version in AC III). The world is huge (I think even bigger than Black Flags) and packed full of fun stuff. The gameplay is very similar to Black Flag but the new enviroments and side activities give it a very different feel. The story is amazing and the whole game is so much fun.

I thought Unity was going to be great and I wasn't expecting much of Rogue but really it's the other way around imo. Unity was disappointing while Rogue is up there with the best of the series.
    Wow, thanks for the info, mate. I'm definitely looking forward to continuing Ezio's story, especially with all the improvements to come.

I agree with you about Connor. He seems to always get the short end of the stick, but even with my casual knowledge of AC III, he doesn't seem as bad as some make him out to be. Haytham is also a very interesting character.

I've seen some of Unity just to find out what a next-gen AC game feels like, and I think it is incredibly immersive. The environments and the atmosphere of Paris itself feel brilliant, but the most important part of these games, the protagonist assassin, is a major letdown. Arno is so uninteresting, so dimensional and just...bland from all I've seen of him. I think that is also the running consensus from veteran AC players. What are your overall feelings on Unity, @thelivingroyale?

Are you excited for AC Victory?
    edited February 2015 Posts: 13,882
    So I have finally pick up AC: Rogue. I've put in 2, maybe 3 hours of gameplay, and I can definitely see the underpinnings of Black Flag, in Rogue. As a long time follower of this series, dating back to the original game, I wasn't sure how I felt about how Rogue was going to depict the Assassin Creed. Honestly, it hasn't bothered me as much as I thought. And it's not the first time that the Creed had become rotten to the core.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Just in case any of the retro gamers are interested... Due to the greed of big companies and their careless view upon the fanatics, the chance of reviving No One Lives Forever has finally met its demise.
    http://kotaku.com/the-sad-story-behind-a-dead-pc-game-that-cant-come-back-1688358811
    Hyrule Warriors

Surprisingly fun, and this is from someone who's not a big fan of Dynasty Warriors.
    edited March 2015 Posts: 13,882
    Just in case any of the retro gamers are interested... Due to the greed of big companies and their careless view upon the fanatics, the chance of reviving No One Lives Forever has finally met its demise.
    http://kotaku.com/the-sad-story-behind-a-dead-pc-game-that-cant-come-back-1688358811

That is a shame, but what is stopping gamers from buying physical copies? The article claims the games are scarce, in my experience, they're not. I have just been on ebay, and there are currently 50 listings for 'No One Lives Forever', both games, as well as the PS2 port of the original game.

I've been jumping back and forth between a number of games lately...

Hitman: Blood Money (XBX)
    After seeing the trailer for Hitman: Agent 47 (it looks like an enjoyable action film, but it isn't Hitman), I wanted to see all over again, what Mr 47 should be like. So many games claim to have multiple paths to complete missions, Hitman: Blood Money actually delivers. Best Hitman game, 'Absolution' looked great, but the gameplay was geard toward the COD crowd. 'Blood Money', however, allowed the run and gun approach, but the bigger rewards come with the stealthy play style.

Colin McRrae Rally 2005 (PS2)
    I played the UK stages. It's wet, muddy, and i'm going sideways in a Mk 1Ford Escort. :D

Alpha Protocol (PS3)
    I remember enjoying this game on release. After putting it back on my PS3's HD, I finished my 'negative' playthrough (rejecting Mina, SIE, Scarlett & Madison, and generally acting like a complete arse to everyone else).
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 12,837
    @Brady My overall feelings on Unity were disappointment. The graphics and everything were amazing, it was a breathtaking game from a technical standpoint, and I liked some of the new additions (customisation, co op, the Dishonoured/Hitman esque Assassination missions) but I was very disappointed in the story and characters (which were very underdeveloped), and the side missions. It was also frustrating how Ubisoft hid unlockable items (such as past Assassin outfits) behind the app. I think it's probably the worst in the series. I did a more detailed review of it a few pages back.

I'm not sure about Victory yet. It does sound cool, I like the Victorian setting, but they need to learn from their mistakes with Unity for it to be good (in the same way that AC IV improved and refined on what AC III introduced, although I quite liked AC III).

Sorry for the late reply, only just seen your comment :)
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 12,837
    Double post
    Murdered Soul Suspect

I am thinking to pick up either Assassins Creed 3 or Black flag

Also been looking at Thief as a possible pick up...

But I will say with what I have been playing so far of Soul Suspect Square Enix now has my vote for the Bond licence