SPECTRE: What will the Villain's Scheme of this Bond film be? What's the "Terrible Truth"?

Comments

• edited January 2015 Posts: 11,119
    I am more curious what the role of the IceQ restaurant (Don't read this spoiler @Rc7 ;-)!
    the luxury clinic in the film
    ) in the film will be. And if it has any connection to the villain's scheme. Perhaps this will be the first Craig film that properly handles
    biological warfare
    ?
    Anyone???
    Well yes, I said it early in this thread, that is what I think will show up in the movie.
    Whatever the villain's plot, I hope it's a villain in the grand tradition of Dr. No, Red Grant, LeChiffre, and Goldfinger: formidable, smart, easily capable of besting Bond. I despise villains with Jaws teeth, bullets in the head that make them impervious to pain, in need of CGI to change their facial features when they remove their dentures, and "I can think a thousand moves ahead," etc.

The role Bardem played in No Country For Old Men was much scarier than Silva.
  • The terrible truth being a plan to blow something up is not a terrible truth, or a organisation within MI6 is very Hydra. So I think the terrible truth could be either of these.

1 Dench's M was not who she appeared to be and Silva although mad knew the truth and why he wanted to kill her.
    2 Link to Bonds Parents and that is why Silva laughed at the gravestone.
    3 Dench's M knew of an Illuminati of the Intelligence Community and knew of their plan and that is why she leaves the clue inside the Bulldog
  • scouse007 wrote: »
    The terrible truth being a plan to blow something up is not a terrible truth, or a organisation within MI6 is very Hydra. So I think the terrible truth could be either of these.

1 Dench's M was not who she appeared to be and Silva although mad knew the truth and why he wanted to kill her.
    3 Dench's M knew of an Illuminati of the Intelligence Community and knew of their plan and that is why she leaves the clue inside the Bulldog

I do agree that also "SPECTRE" will feature a lot of WikiLeaks-esque scandals, like perhaps SPECTRE-agents infiltrating MI-6. But let's face it....this has been done with "QOS" and "SF" now already. Making MI-6 again the main plot theme of a villainous scheme for me sounds a bit boring. Especially if Franz Oberhauser will actually be a copy of Silva, who's also out on a revenge to MI-6, because of personal and historical events (Bond's relationship with the Oberhauser family, M's last secret message).

No, there must be something bigger behind SPECTRE. I just can not believe that the newly revived SPECTRE is solely out on destroying, again, MI-6 (Like QUANTUM and Silva did). Although even QUANTUM used the intelligence community for their own Tierra-project. I think SPECTRE this time will indeed be using and abusing the intelligence community, but solely for their own villainous scheme.
    And that's where I think biological warfare could come into place
    . That's what I think will be the terrible truth.

And let's face it....after the list of actors being cast for smaller roles in SP, one could make the case that the revived SPECTRE will indeed be much more powerful and bigger than its predecessor QUANTUM.
  • Biological Warefare would be very 1980's. The Terrible Truth is SPECTRE have been running the show and Bond without knowing has been working for them and discovers this via the cryptic message left by Dench's M. Thus, she was working on a plan to destroy them and Waltz ' s character's finger print is the key to Bond finding him and destroying SPECTRE.

Or they pollute a new medicine with an addictive agent that causes instant addiction and aim to make money from the antidote.
    scouse007 wrote: »
    Biological Warefare would be very 1980's. The Terrible Truth is SPECTRE have been running the show and Bond without knowing has been working for them and discovers this via the cryptic message left by Dench's M. Thus, she was working on a plan to destroy them and Waltz ' s character's finger print is the key to Bond finding him and destroying SPECTRE.

Or they pollute a new medicine with an addictive agent that causes instant addiction and aim to make money from the antidote.

Not really, in fact with the Ebola outbreak it is very contemporary.
  • scouse007 wrote: »
    Biological Warefare would be very 1980's. The Terrible Truth is SPECTRE have been running the show and Bond without knowing has been working for them and discovers this via the cryptic message left by Dench's M. Thus, she was working on a plan to destroy them and Waltz ' s character's finger print is the key to Bond finding him and destroying SPECTRE.

We are assuming things in here....I guess?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

We are assuming things in here....I guess?

Yes.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    The terrible truth being a plan to blow something up is not a terrible truth, or a organisation within MI6 is very Hydra. So I think the terrible truth could be either of these.

I can buy this.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Rosebud
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Bond must recover the Rabbit's Foot? No?
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Rosebud

Or "roast beef" (a Saturday Night Live reference)
  • talos7 wrote: »

It's interesting you mention that. It's a very Hitchcock-ian thing, that was also introduced in FRWL. The actual "object" that gets the story going, that is the reason for the good guys and bad guys to go after. A short overview:

--> FRWL: The Lektor Decoding Machine (actually, it is based on the WWII Enigma Machine)
    --> GF: Off course.....gold
    --> TB: Two MO-S Type Nuclear Bombs
    --> OHMSS: The Omega Virus
    --> DAF: Off course.....diamonds
    --> LALD: Poppy seeds
    --> TMWTGG: The Colibri Golden Gun
    --> FYEO: The A.T.A.C. System
    --> OP: One atomic bomb, but also juwelry
    --> AVTAK: A Silicon Integrated Circuit - A Computer Chip
    --> TLD: The "SMERSH" warnings / "Smiert Spionnam"
    --> GE: The GoldenEye
    --> TND: The GPS System, as well as nuclear missiles
    --> TWINE: Oil
    --> DAD: A lot of stuff :-P
    --> CR: Money...because of the stakes at the Poker Table. It's really the one and only Bond film that's truly about....money
    --> QOS: Water
    --> SF: The stolen Harddrive with lists of secret agents
    --> SP: ??
  • RC7RC7
    talos7 wrote: »

It's interesting you mention that. It's a very Hitchcock-ian thing, that was also introduced in FRWL. The actual "object" that gets the story going, that is the reason for the good guys and bad guys to go after. A short overview:

--> FRWL: The Lektor Decoding Machine (actually, it is based on the WWII Enigma Machine)
    --> CR: Money...because of the stakes at the Poker Table. It's really the one and only Bond film that's truly about....money

A MacGuffin.
  • RC7 wrote: »

A MacGuffin.

Exactly @RC7 ;-). Thanks m8
    My money is still on the biological warfare, as it is larger scale than the previous three movies and reminiscent of OHMSS. It has been done very rarely in the franchise, it is also topical: the Ebola virus, foot and mouth disease, etc.

Oh and on a side note, I have been right before: the return of S.P.E.C.T.R.E., Madeleine Swann being a nod to Marcel Proust, etc.
  • Ludovico wrote: »
    My money is still on the biological warfare, as it is larger scale than the previous three movies and reminiscent of OHMSS. It has been done very rarely in the franchise, it is also topical: the Ebola virus, foot and mouth disease, etc.

Oh and on a side note, I have been right before: the return of S.P.E.C.T.R.E., Madeleine Swann being a nod to Marcel Proust, etc.

You're saying something there: Ebola. Very topical indeed. Like Cyberleaks around 2012 (Julian Assange).
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Long before SPECTRE was announced, I once said that Quantum should use it's government influence (Then Guy Haines and the PM) to go after Bond. Use his reckless behavior as evidence to go after him. It will be very interesting to see what the "Terrible Truth" is. But that's my guess. :)
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    A scorching case of herpes? Who gave it to bond? Does he really have it? Why does it burn when he pees;)?
    Yes, MacGuffin. At one of the local theaters there is a bar called MacGuffin's
    One of the altime great ones is the briefcase in Pulp Fiction. In the end we never know what it contains.
    Its too hot a topic but the threat of Spectre to gift Islamic state (or the fictional version) the gift of a dirty bomb would be interesting. For the story to really work at gut level for the audience, IMHO, it has to be something that they can relate to their own lives. We all fear getting sick (or for our loved ones) so the virus story will always work. And we all fear terrorism. For Spectre to hand over a nuclear device would be like a grown up giving fireworks to a 4 year old and saying "go off and enjoy yourself". Spectre are cold, rational and calculating and that contrasts with the emotions of a suicide bomber. Its too close to home to be a Bond theme but an interesting premise?
    patb wrote: »
    Its too hot a topic but the threat of Spectre to gift Islamic state (or the fictional version) the gift of a dirty bomb would be interesting. For the story to really work at gut level for the audience, IMHO, it has to be something that they can relate to their own lives. We all fear getting sick (or for our loved ones) so the virus story will always work. And we all fear terrorism. For Spectre to hand over a nuclear device would be like a grown up giving fireworks to a 4 year old and saying "go off and enjoy yourself". Spectre are cold, rational and calculating and that contrasts with the emotions of a suicide bomber. Its too close to home to be a Bond theme but an interesting premise?

Interesting premise but there is no way that EON would go in this direction; It's to hot of a potato.

Yes, its an interesting point that no matter how much Bond is fantasy based, the real dangers that we face every day are too scary for Bond to deal with. During the Cold War , it seemed to be OK for the Soviets to be the bad guys and the Nazis were portrayed as the bad guys often enough in countless movies but now we are facing the "war on terror", it seems to be that its a taboo as far as film making is concerned. Although in TLD and Rambo etc, the Afghan rebels were our best mates. I digress
    Yes, MacGuffin. At one of the local theaters there is a bar called MacGuffin's
    One of the altime great ones is the briefcase in Pulp Fiction. In the end we never know what it contains.

Great name for a bar. The MacGuffin of The Maltese Falcon is maybe the greatest. In FRWL they had a great one too.
  • RC7RC7
    Yes, its an interesting point that no matter how much Bond is fantasy based, the real dangers that we face every day are too scary for Bond to deal with. During the Cold War , it seemed to be OK for the Soviets to be the bad guys and the Nazis were portrayed as the bad guys often enough in countless movies but now we are facing the "war on terror", it seems to be that its a taboo as far as film making is concerned. Although in TLD and Rambo etc, the Afghan rebels were our best mates. I digress

In the good old days of espionage you could sit on the opposite side of a Beirut bar and send your 'enemy' a drink. Try sitting in the same room as a Jihadi.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 188

Ok, a lot of what you guys said has made a lot of sense, and I think much of it can be true at the same time.
    1. It's going to be personal because it's Mendes - Yes. I think Bond's personal feelings are involved - either because the old M had a secret or because his parents died as part of this decade-long story or both.
    2. The scheme has to be global and grand. - I'm not sure about biological warfare. The clinic is not a hint to that, but I think a mental hospital where someone locked up a girl who knew too much and tried to warn the world of its impending doom.
    3. The terrible truth - I don't think it's just terrible per se, but also terrible from Bond's personal perspective, hence back to 1.

Which brings me to the following scenario:
    "A cryptic message from Bond's past" - his "friend" Oberhauser (M is not past enough, and it sounds too vague to be from his parents)
    "sends him on a trail" - Oberhauser is playing a game with him; he is the head of SPECTRE or an important member (the head then is someone Bond knows and trusts) and he either simply uses their friendship or he blames James for the death of his father ... (or something equally personal, but this is not necessary)
    "to uncover a sinister organisation" - SPECTRE, of which Quantum is the economic arm, hence the name Quantum (lat: how much), and which has people literally everywhere. Maybe even Bond's parents were SPECTRE agents. Imagine the irony - M has them killed and then raises their son as her own instrument. A bit like Alec/006 in Goldeneye.
    "While M battles political forces to keep the Secret Service alive" - As I said, they have people literally everywhere, up to the higher echelons of politics.
    "Bond peels back the layers of deceit" - sounds like he is going at it alone again, and maybe against the wishes of M, who doesn't want to have to explain a rogue agent investigating politicians (remember the guy in QoS, who was an important politician)
    "to reveal the terrible truth behind SPECTRE" - that it is, indeed, everywhere, and that to extinguish it, you'd have to bring down the political systems of the entire world. Even the UK is so strongly in its grip that you'd have to eliminate half the people in power, thus causing chaos. That't the most terrible thing, imo, an enemy that you can't eliminate for fear of eliminating what you love most, and causing millions of deaths. So you let it be and grow, because you would kill the patient trying to cut out the cancer.

Both CR/QoS and SF are tied together by this: Quantum is an under-organisation of SPECTRE. Silva got help from them so he could bring down M, who was becoming a threat - either because she was too close to find the truth or because she was a member of SPECTRE turning against them. The Bonds and Bond's childhood have been set up in SF and can now be explored in more (terrible) detail, peeling back layers of deceit to get at the heart of the matter: the people who Bond works for are responsible for killing his parents, who were friends with the people he is trying to kill.

My only concern is: is this too much GE?
    It would be interesting if the Prime Minister turned out to be a SPECTRE agent...
    RC7 wrote: »

In the good old days of espionage you could sit on the opposite side of a Beirut bar and send your 'enemy' a drink. Try sitting in the same room as a Jihadi.

In a bar, that would be challenging indeed. If he is one, he is here to kill you.