Rate The Last Movie You Saw In Theaters

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Massive disappointment for the trilogy, ending on a sour note.
    The Matrix effect...
    :((

AND two series where at least two of the movies in the trilogy were filmed back-to-back. Is this a sign?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited December 2014 Posts: 40,371
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Massive disappointment for the trilogy, ending on a sour note.
    The Matrix effect...
    :((

AND two series where at least two of the movies in the trilogy were filmed back-to-back. Is this a sign?

Not necessarily, because (for me, anyway) 'The Matrix: Reloaded' is slightly better than the first film, but 'Revolutions' is about 50% awful. Still, one fantastic trilogy.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 300
    Exodus: Gods and Kings - 6/10

Pros:
    Acting - Christian Bale, Joel Edgerton, Ben Mendelsohn do a great job with their roles. Ben Kingsly is solid but didn't blow me away.
    Visuals - The ten plagues and the crossing of the Red Sea are depicted very well. The CGI may be distracting during a few of the plagues but it may have just appeared that way in my screening since I accidentally purchased a 3D ticket.
    Costume Design - Janty Yates continues to amaze me. Her attention to detail never falters from one project to the next.
    Scope - I would say the best cinematography by Dariusz Wolski to date. He does a great job capturing the action and the smaller moments throughout the film.

Cons:
    Editing - A lot of the film flows okay, but there's just too many scenes assembled together that don't feel like a complete idea. In an interview I read, Ridley Scott said the film worked perfectly at 4 hours, but he obviously didn't feel comfortable showing it to the studio because he knew they would never consider releasing that as the theatrical cut.
    Script - There are moments in the film I can't really discern which is to blame: editing or script. The dialogue is okay for the most part except for a couple of moments. The issue is really the connecting of the script ideas. The last 3rd of the film is definitely the high point of the script.

In the end my pros outweigh my cons so I give a passing grade. Just barely though.
  • Ridley Scott had a 4-hour cut of Exodus he thought worked perfectly?! I wasn't planning on seeing this in theaters, but if Scott ever releases his perfect 4-hour director's cut that's something I will have to see.
  • Ridley Scott had a 4-hour cut of Exodus he thought worked perfectly?! I wasn't planning on seeing this in theaters, but if Scott ever releases his perfect 4-hour director's cut that's something I will have to see.

Well, in an interview he said some of the extra footage would be available as menu extras but for now he's publicly shot down the idea of an extended cut. He could change his mind of course. And I'm hoping he does change his mind because I know it would be a better film. No question.
    Laggies- I liked the movie. It didn't get a wide release and it seemed like a nice movie so I wanted to check it out..fun movie 7.5/10 really enjoyable movie for me
    'The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies'

Unfortunately, it's my least favorite in the 'Hobbit' trilogy, and the films seemed to get worse and worse for me. The final act of the trilogy lacks punch, the emotional scenes are more laughable, and it was chock full of bad CGI and forgettable action sequences.

And don't get me started on the disappointing ending that completely lacked the emotion and breadth of the LOTR trilogy's ending.
    @chrisisall, they started to go downhill for me as they went along, but at least I enjoyed 'Desolation of Smaug.' This one? Didn't cut it for me. Massive disappointment for the trilogy, ending on a sour note.
    While I found AUJ dragging and dramatically unsatisfying, and had problems relating emotionally to what happened in TDOS, I actually enjoyed TBOTFA the most. Again, during the first half hour or so I felt emotionally disconnected, but after that it picked up gear considerably. Some CG effects were laughable, but overall it worked ok for me.

Much like Star Wars Episode 1-3, this could have been pretty fantastic if it had been done as two films instead of three.

• Exodus.

Stay home.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited December 2014 Posts: 7,518
    ^^^ =))
    Interstellar: 9/10. Checked out all the satisfying-cinematic-experiences boxes in a meaningful way, made me feel all the feels. None of my film buff friends liked it though. :P
    Looking forward to Hoyt's work on SPECTRE!
    EDIT: Maybe 8/10; I'm not entirely too keen on watching it again in the short term, not sure if I'll pick it up on Bluray.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies, I actually enjoyed this (I see others on this thread didn't rate it much), an epic film with heart. Think I liked this better than 'Smaug', but would have to watch that again to compare properly.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 5,767
    The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies, I actually enjoyed this (I see others on this thread didn't rate it much), an epic film with heart. Think I liked this better than 'Smaug', but would have to watch that again to compare properly.
    Funny, that was my last one too. I rated it above already I think, I went again with my sister. I got so p***ed off this time because the picture was tuned to this gruesome soap opera look you have on many new LED tv sets before you tune down the motion control function. So all the characters looked as if they were standing beneath a neon light. As if that wasn´t enough, both cinema employees I complained to seriously tried to explain to me that that effect was due to HFR. I fear for my cinematic future, if teenagers with no visual knowledge or idea become responsible for screening movies in theaters.

• QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    edited February 2015 Posts: 1,812
    The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
    A few days ago I finally got around to seeing this in theaters. I was really pumped to go see this (I didn't get a chance to see the first two while they were in theaters) but I have to admit, it wasn't only the worst of the Hobbit movies, it was the worst of all six Middle Earth movies.
    This movie was proof enough for me that they were just trying to cash in on making a trilogy based off of one fairly short book. This whole movie could have been easily cut down to a much shorter film. Which brings me to my next complaint, they could of made these movies into a duology rather than a trilogy. The entire third installment didn't really have much of a story and it was basically just one big fight scene.
    I also think Jackson did to his prequels what Lucas did with the Star Wars prequels. He relied on CGI too much. While Jackson didn't do it as bad as Lucas did, he still did it enough to bother me.
    While I have complained more about this movie I still did enjoyed myself but it's just the worst of the franchise and I don't think that opinion will ever change.

The Fellowship of the Ring
    The Desolation of Smaug
    The Return of the King
    An Unexpected Journey
    The Two Towers
    The Battle of the Five Armies
    Blackhat
    The total oppsite to Battle of the five Armies, as far as CGI is concerned ;-).
    There is some, especially at the beginning, reminiscent of the camera at the beginning of The Matrix diving into the phone, and also reminiscent of Tron, but it´s not nearly half as bad as critics claimed it to be.
    At all, the whole film isn´t nearly half as bad as critics claim it to be. Michael Mann seems to be interested in more and more hiding the emotional content of his movies, but Blackhat is as visceral as a film can get. It pays to watch it several times, then the film opens up easier.
    While Public Enemies repeated certain themes already seen in Heat, Blackhat repeats some themes already seen in Manhunter, with nods on the visual front to Collateral. Which gives the idea that either Mann runs out of ideas or tries to build his own genre.
    I remember how Miami Vice and Public Enemies grew on me over time, so I find it hard to judge this film after having seen it only two times. It may not be Michael Mann´s best film (if his films are at all compareable like that), but as usual, an imperfect Michael Mann film is still far above Hollywood average.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Kingsman
    There are worse ways of spending a couple of hours. A completely daft, OTT, violent, funny, profane film done with such style and confidence it's hard not to like. Great cast and a great coda - if only that bloke three rows down had sat down when he realise there was a bit more of the film to come…
    "Jupiter Ascending".

All right, it borrows heavily from quite a few science-fiction novels and movies (I noted references to "Dune", "2001" and even "Guardians of the Galaxy" among others. But for sheer spectacle, it's hard to beat. And Eddie Redmayne gives us a wonderfully hammy performance. BTW : "Tuppence" Middleton ? Somebody must have read Agatha Christie a bit too much, methinks.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Kingsman

20/10

Yes, I loved it that much.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 2,491
    Furious 7

..eh..I liked Fast 6 better..this one was more of a mess... Enjoyable fun movie, with AMAZING tribute to Paul Walker but the action scenes were too over the top..I like over the top but the director/editor/whatever did not do a great job..

I liked how the movie went to few exotic locations..it reminded me of Bond..and well Furious franchise might be the next big franchise that people will wait in line to see much like Bond..one might argue it is already a huge francise..

But yeah.. 7/10 from me cause of the Walker tribute..the plot is too convoluted for its own good IMHO..Fast 6 was more "basic"

If you are fan of the franchise you should see the movie. It's not a bad movie, and it has a lot of enjoyable things about it but it could have been better.

edit: I forgot 2 things:

first the title of the movie is Furious 7..and yet when the movie started it was named as Fast and Furious 7...is this a thing where the movie is named differently in the countries (like Captain America: Winter Soldier and his list or ?)

And 2nd:

Vin Diesel announced there will be another one of these movies and it will be set in New York..I kinda liked them being in Rio and London..well..let's hope seeing a movie set in US again won't be boring :D
    edited May 2015 Posts: 1,812
    Furious 7

I missed out on seeing Fast & Furious 6 in theaters and I wasn’t about to miss out on this one, especially since it’s Paul Walkers last one. I’ve loved this franchise since the first one and, while the series has become something completely different since its beginning, it’s still fun to watch. I’m happy they are continuing to make more but it won’t be the same without Paul. He was probably the reason I got into the franchise in the first place. His character was the most relatable to me and, IMO, he was the only character who developed the most throughout the movies. The tribute to Paul at the end was fitting and I’ll admit I even got a little choked up watching it.
    Having said that, it wasn’t the best of the series but it wasn’t the worst. At times it was too over the top but still fun to watch. The only thing about this the franchise that makes me kind of sad is that the movies have become more about the stunts and action instead of the awesome cars and racing. I enjoy all the movies but I hope they someday go back to making them more like the first three movies.

I’m planning on having a marathon of all these movies within the next couple of weeks, I may even go see Furious 7 again, and I’ll give them all a proper ranking but for now my F&F list goes like this…

1) The Fast and the Furious
    2) Fast Five
    3) 2 Fast 2 Furious
    4) The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift
    5) Furious 7
    6) Fast & Furious 6
    7) Fast & Furious
    The Avengers: Age of Ultron - pretty impressive on the big screen.
    Avengers: Age Of Ultron. I give it a 6.5 , it's filled with mindless action and lots of explosions not a whole lot more to be honest.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Avengers Age of Ultron. I also would rate it a 6.5 or so.

Phenomenal special effects and action, but somewhat lacking compared to its predecessor and I can't quite put my finger on it. There was an element of 'been there done that' to it. I wonder if I'm beginning to have Marvel Ensemble overload? It was a case of 'more is less' to me.

Anyway it was entertaining but I have no desire to really watch it again any time soon. I'd put in a blu-ray of the original Iron Man, Iron Man 3 or Winter Soldier over it any day.
    It's been awhile since I've posted anything but I've seen quite a bit of films in theaters over the past couple of months. Of the ones I can recall...

Jurassic World
    Great movie that deserves the attention it's been getting. I was afraid it was going to be another rehash of the past movies but it felt fresh and new.

Jurassic Park
    Jurassic World
    The Lost World: Jurassic Park
    Jurassic Park 3

Mad Max: Fury Road
    A good entry in the Mad Max franchise, unfortunately it's only one of two good entries in this franchise. I've only been a fan of The Road Warrior until Fury Road was made.

Mad Max: Fury Road
    Mad Max: The Road Warrior
    Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome
    Mad Max

Terminator: Genisys
    I've been a big fan of the Terminator series since I was a kid. So when I found out they were canceling out Salvation (I still don't see a reason why that had to be done) and altering the timeline of the original three I was pissed... Arnold coming back made it better though. After finally seeing Genisys I have to say that I'm impressed. It's actually pretty good, too bad it's gotten poor reviews. Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 26%, which is absolute BS! It was another way to do something that's already been done before but make it fresh again. They did a good job and I hope a sequel gets made.

Terminator 2: Judgment Day
    Terminator
    Terminator: Genisys
    Terminator: Salvation
    Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines

The Avengers: Age of Ultron
    I will say that this movie was good but it felt like a let down. It was fun but it felt like what someone above said, been there done that. I also didn't like the direction they took Black Widow, Bruce Banner, and Hawkeye. The action was great, the story decent, and the acting was great, that's about it.

Ant-Man
    I'll admit that I've never liked the character of Ant-Man and thought that this movie would be one big joke. After watching it today I have to say that it was really good and is in my top five favorite MARVEL movies. It was something that could make fun of itself while being serious about itself. I probably won't ever be a fan of the comics but I am a fan of the movie. Ant-Man will be a great addition to the MARVEL movieverse.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    The Avengers
    IronMan
    Ant-Man
    IronMan 2
    Thor
    Thor: The Dark World
    The Avengers: Age of Ultron
    The Incredible Hulk
    Captain America: The First Avenger
    IronMan 3

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited July 2015 Posts: 17,687
    Today saw The Avengers: Age of Ultron.
    Lot of GREAT moments and GREAT dialogue, and I had a FUN time watching it, and I will buy it in a heartbeat.
    That said, some battle footage seemed redundant, and the first Avengers was definitely better.

So far, My top 3 are:
    Iron Man
    Captain America: Winter Soldier
    Avengers
    Saw Ant Man marvel movie. Thought it had a few funny moments, some good action, but over all I'm getting tired of The Marvel Universe. I want to feel something deeper than what they have to offer.
  • justicefilmsjusticefilms San Monique
    Antman
    7.5/10

Thoroughly entertaining, a great original idea. A much needed breath of fresh air for the MCU. I felt the films were just becoming carbon copies of the other films, with the exception of Guardians Of The Galaxy. A great step in a new direction.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Minions ..I have kids I was forced. 8/10 for them; 6/10 for me. it was almost funny but way over hyped.. minions everywhere selling that movie. Annoying ..needed to call an exterminator.

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Minions ..I have kids I was forced. 8/10 for them; 6/10 for me. it was almost funny but way over hyped.. minions everywhere selling that movie. Annoying ..needed to call an exterminator.

Some of your own evil minions perhaps? If not, I'd recommend Messrs Horror and Sluggsy.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The only bad thing about the Despicable Me films were those annoying minions.
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Kids... they can be so cruel...

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Furious 7
    Really enjoyable and quite a rush in parts. Had a bit of dramatic heft to it that cancelled out any of the cheesier bits. Great soundtrack too. Laughable climax though - truly ridiculous.

Mad Max Fury Road
    The cake to which Spectre shall be the icing (hopefully).

Jurassic World
    Good, if a bit over the top in parts. Way too heavy on the CGI action - would have loved a bit more practical stuff. But, a pretty entertaining romp that packed a chomp, too.

Terminator Genisys
    WHY?! I just don't get it.