Johnny English Strikes Again (2018)

Comments

• Looks like you had a great time JamesC. Miss Pike looking as lovely as ever. That Bently though, lovely.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    @JamesC great pics! Love the way Rowan Atkinson looks. He's just a genius with that. Reminded me of his appearence at Top Gear.

Anyway, very much looking foreward to this film! i loved the first (got it on DVD), and the trailers are promising. Good to see so much love for those films here, used to be different...
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Thanks for the pictures. I'm pleased to hear Atkinson is still on fine form in this second film.
    Mmmm... I wish I could get that close to Scully..... Great pics JC

• edited September 2011 Posts: 886
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2034255/Rowan-Atkinson-56-old-play-Mr-Bean-again.html

I'm too old to play Mr Bean again: Rowan Atkinson, 56, says goodbye to his bumbling character

He is Rowan Atkinson’s most commercially successful creation.

However, Mr Bean is unlikely to appear on our screens again in any new adventures.

Atkinson, 56, says he believes he is too old to play the bumbling character.

Mr Bean first blundered on to television in an ITV series which ran for five years from 1990.

Despite the derision of some critics, the programme proved a huge ratings success, with viewing figures of more than 18million.

The character proved such a draw – even in the notoriously difficult U.S. market – that two films were made of his exploits, Bean: The Ultimate Disaster Movie in 1997 and Mr Bean’s Holiday four year ago.

Between them the two films earned £305million worldwide.

However, Atkinson – who describes Mr Bean as 'a child in a grown man’s body' - says: 'I’ve got a feeling I probably won’t play the character [Mr Bean] again.

'Never say never, but I just feel I’m getting too old for it. I’ve always liked Mr Bean as a cartoon-like figure, who doesn’t really age much.

'I’ve always seen him as an ageless and timeless being and I’m clearly not ageless and timeless.

'The older I get, I feel I am less qualified to play him.'

The comedian – who starred in Not The Nine O’Clock News in the late 1970s and 1980s and in Blackadder from 1983 – was interviewed in Australia to publicise the sequel to the 2003 James Bond spoof movie Johnny English – Johnny English Reborn.

• JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    edited September 2011 Posts: 1,380
    Maybe it's a sign of getting older and tastes changing, but Gillian Anderson looks way hotter than The Pikelet in the premiere photos:
    http://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=9670&t=mi6&s=news
  • edited November 2020 Posts: 121
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I guess that's just becouse of the Pikelets hairdo and make-up. Doesn't look good on her.
    Still a month to go before the film opens here. b*gger.
    I wonder if he'll do another - final? - Johnny English?
  • Anybody else think the original Barclaycard adverts were funnier that the first film?

• that's one of them, haven't seen any of these in years, so not sure if they are actually that funny or not!
  • edited September 2011 Posts: 886
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-2037127/Mr-Bean-return-Johnny-English-Rowan-Atkinson-explains-all.html

The death of Mr Bean, surviving a supercar road crash and the return of Johnny English: Rowan Atkinson explains all.

Extract:
    "The first Johnny English film, released in 2003 on a budget of $35 million, raked in $161 million at the box office. This time the budget is much bigger – a move to keep the franchise abreast of the Bond and Bourne films.

‘I loved the Bond movies as a child, and I still do,’ confesses Atkinson.

‘They are hugely inspiring – a wonderful combination of glamour and adventure. The books were written in the Fifties and were all about Britain as a fading power but they had this brilliant secret agent who could make Britain look great again.

‘The Cold War was a very dominant feature of the books, and that doesn’t exist any more. The character doesn’t really fit the times and the idea that a member of the British intelligence would be driving a Rolls-Royce Phantom in this day and age – or even an Aston Martin – is patently ludicrous.

'We go along with the idea because that was the template that Ian Fleming set and we update it. Even though we are not a Bond or a Bourne movie, we are the comic equivalent. We rely on people’s familiarity with, and liking for, that world – the world of espionage.’

The new film opens with our hero honing his martial arts skills in a remote Tibetan retreat, having been thrown out of MI7 at the end of the first film. He is called back into the fold reluctantly by MI7’s new boss (Gillian Anderson) when she learns of a plot to assassinate the Chinese leader and is informed by a key contact that he will only deal with English.

‘In terms of budget, set design and casting we were keen to make it as much like a Bond film as we could,’ explains Atkinson.

'Even though we are not a Bond or a Bourne movie, we are the comic equivalent,' said Rowan

‘We haven’t cast any comedians. Everybody in it (Anderson is joined by Rosamund Pike and Dominic West) either has been in or could be found in a James Bond movie.’

It might be an acutely observed comic homage to 007 but the new film features action sequences that wouldn’t look out of place with Daniel Craig in the frame – a speedboat chase in Hong Kong; a fight across the rooftops in Macau; helicopters and gadgets galore, including Atkinson’s favourite, a customised Rolls-Royce Phantom with a unique nine-litre V16 engine.

‘That was deliberate,’ says Atkinson. ‘We wanted to give the story a little more credibility and a little more believability in the hope that any silliness that we indulged in on top would shine out in sharp relief against this very serious background. "

• edited September 2011 Posts: 1
    No Ben Miller. . . I almost cried :'(

Apart from that it was a good film.
    By the way does anyone know why Miller wasn't in it?
    edited October 2011 Posts: 13,350
    SPOILERS:

Was Brosnan's character meant to be the main villain? They both shared the same name Ambrose.
    I did. Thought it was great fun and very funny in places.
  • I love these shots thank you very much and that huge engine looks awesome. Top work.
  • edited October 2011 Posts: 4,622
    Love the photos James C. Up close with Gilly and the Pikelet. Nice job. Hang on to those shots. Saw the movie today. It's a hoot. It's really a must-watch for Bondaholics. There's lots of Bond homages. The funniest was the extended send-up of the CR parkour chase. English finds ways to hardly break a sweat, while his target carries on like Mollaka in CR. Tres funny. Genius casting, including both Pike and Anderson. Double the babe quotient and a legit, authentic, fan favourite Bond-girl like Pike, still very much in her prime. The nod to the GF golf match was well done. Also counted nods to Piz Gloria and its cable car, TSWLM parachute jump, Q Branch, Bond's tricked out cars, crabby female M who doesn't appreciate Bond's ways.
    English's training with the monks at the beginning of the film is real funny. English leaves well equipped to take a direct hit to the sensitives, which can come in handy in the agent business. Just ask Craig in CR. He could have used some of English's training.
    This movie is a great little dash of Bond parody until the real thing finally comes around again.
    The music is very Bondian in scope. The end-title female vocal by Rumer- I Believe In You, is Bond worthy. I like to consider Johnny English, along with CR67 and the Austin Powers movies as Bond companion films.
    Love the photos James C. Up close with Gilly and the Pikelet. Nice job. Hang on to those shots. Saw the movie today. It's a hoot. It's really a must-watch for Bondaholics. There's lots of Bond homages. The funniest was the extended send-up of the CR parkour chase. English finds ways to hardly break a sweat, while his target carries on like Mollaka in CR. Tres funny. Genius casting, including both Pike and Anderson. Double the babe quotient and a legit, authentic, fan favourite Bond-girl like Pike, still very much in her prime. The nod to the GF golf match was well done. Also counted nods to Piz Gloria and its cable car, TSWLM parachute jump, Q Branch, Bond's tricked out cars, crabby female M who doesn't appreciate Bond's ways.
    English's training with the monks at the beginning of the film is real funny. English leaves well equipped to take a direct hit to the sensitives, which can come in handy in the agent business. Just ask Craig in CR. He could have used some of English's training.
    This movie is a great little dash of Bond parody until the real thing finally comes around again.
    Couldn't have put it better myself (a very non-English thing to say, I know). An increadably enjoyable film I'm most certainly going to buy on dvd. His memories of his survailence and protecting job all gone wrong...just very, very funny!
    Yep, I will be buying this film as well. Pike's presence cinches things, if one is having any doubts. But the Bond homages should be enough.
    Johnny English is must viewing for all Bond fans (*)
    Is there no Johnny English sequel to finish off the trilogy anywhere in the pipeline ?
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    A comedy film....that isn't funny.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Apparently, Olga Kurylenko is in Johnny English 3 according to IMDB.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Rosamund Pike, and now Olga Kurylenko? My trend senses are tingling.