ITC Entertainment Series - Appreciation Thread

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    What a stunning lady!
    968full-wanda-ventham.jpg
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Yep have to admit to fancying her when I was younger also Gaby Drake who was also in UFO.
    Bond girl material?
    She most certainly was, could have been easily Mary Goodnight, or Anya Amasova.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Was The Return of the Saint, the last ITC programme or was it by a different company.
    another series with a great theme. :)
    Return of the Saint was a British action-adventure television series that aired for one season in 1978 and 1979 in Britain on ITV, and was also broadcast on CBS in the United States. It was co-produced by ITC Entertainment and the Italian broadcaster RAI and ran for 24 episodes.

We know Partridge is a big Roger Moore fan, but also Return of the Saint
    I wondered how long it would take for Partridge to rear his head !
    sorry, could not resist
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Partridge is allowed in any thread, no matter what the subject.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Partridge is allowed in any thread, no matter what the subject.

I second that motion! Comic genius!
    patb wrote: »
    sorry, could not resist

No Appology required my friend I'm quite a fan of him myself
    :)) loved that Alan Partridge episode.
    "Return of the Saint" has the distinction of having a British theme, and an Italian one. When the series aired in France, we got the Italian theme, sung by the group Oliver Onions, best known for singing quite a few other themes from movies (the Alain Delon version of "Zorro") and series ("Sandokan"). Here it is :

Very interesting, I'd never heard that
    Before.
    edited February 2015 Posts: 15,423
    Interesting piece. However, I've always found Ian Ogilvy's Saint a little... to put it mildly... inaccurate and not entertaining enough as the ones were with Moore. I've read a couple of books, not all of them, haven't seen anything prior to Moore's series (films precisely is what I'm referring to), and never liked any kind of an adaptation after that. To me, Roger Moore is the only Simon Templar. Just a shame, however, Templar's love interest never appeared in the series. Patricia Holm that is.
    Richard Bradford of Man In A Suitcase passes away. RIP.

picture.php?albumid=113&pictureid=1705
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Oh no. Man In A Suitcase is one of my favourite tv shows, thanks in no small part to Bradford's performance.

R.I.P.

Oh no. Man In A Suitcase is one of my favourite tv shows, thanks in no small part to Bradford's performance.

R.I.P.
    My sentiments exactly, Major. He played a rather large role in lifting the show's quality single-handedly. Saddened to hear he's no longer with us.

R.I.P.
    My sentiments exactly, Major. He played a rather large role in lifting the show's quality single-handedly. Saddened to hear he's no longer with us.

Very ture. A number of the episodes aren't very good (though not all, to be fair), and according to Bradford, it was a tough production, but his tough/cool/sympathetic performance was the driving force of the show.

R.I.P.

Very ture. A number of the episodes aren't very good (though not all, to be fair), and according to Bradford, it was a tough production, but his tough/cool/sympathetic performance was the driving force of the show.
    Definitely. It replaced Danger Man when suddenly Patrick McGoohan decided to resign when only two episodes were fully ready. So, for a spy story, they had to quickly come up with a concept. Same thing happened with The Baron that transited from The Saint. And you couldn't be more about Bradford being the driving force of the series. He definitely has that charisma of owning the screen presence.
    For those interested in The Prisoner, Jack Kirby's unfinished/unpublished comic book based on the acclaimed 1968 one-season-long television series starring Patrick McGoohan as the infamous Number Six, will finally see the light of the day since its development in the early 1970s by Marvel that later found itself canned. It'll be published by Titan. Additionally, a modern take, a continuation of The Prisoner will also be published, marking it the second sequel the TV series had in comic book form, with the first being The Prisoner: Shattered Visage in 1988.

http://doubleosection.blogspot.am/2017/10/tradecraft-titan-announces-new-prisoner.html

@DarthDimi @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 @MajorDSmythe @SaintMark
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Oh, I'm glad this thread has surfaced - it gives me the chance to mention my enormous love for Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased), easily one of my top three TV shows. Great, atmospheric theme tune too.

I really have to revisit that show. Watched the remake a few years back, still hadn't had a chance to revise the original since I originally viewed it.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I didn't go a bundle on the remake, though to be fair I seldom do enjoy remakes if I loved the original. There were some clever ideas, and Tom Baker was brilliant as always, but I felt a lot of the charm and fun were missing.
    That's always the case, @Agent_99. And some of the remakes felt godawful. The less is said about AMC's remake of The Prisoner, the better, for example. Ogilvy's Saint is a hit and miss, and every subsequent adaptation of the IP was bad.
    Are any ITC Entertainment series available for digital download anywhere? Don't have much space for DVDs or Blu-rays anymore, but would love to have the chance to see a few shows.

Seen a bit of the Baron, Department S and Jason King on Youtube, but the video quality is always a bit so and so.
    None on the french iTunes. I just checked.
    @Torgeirtrap, believe me some of those shows are worth having on Blu-Ray. The Baron included.