"Dont blow it all at once ": Die Another Day Appreciation Thread

Comments

• AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    "DAD is actually pretty good!"

Yes, and I'm actually pretty darn handsome.
    Used to think DAD was the worst but have revised my opinion and now think it's actually better than TWINE.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    It's actually pretty good for a drinking game!
    How does it work? One shot for a double entendre and two for a pain face?
    DAD is at the very least a fun movie to watch which is more than can be said for any of the Craig Bonds.
    The Craig films didnt have a villain called Mr Bloomin' Kill.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    BAIN123 wrote: »

Mr. Kil sounds better than Hinx though. :))

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Murdock wrote: »

Mr. Hinx. Now there's a name to cry for.
    chrisisall wrote: »

Mr. Hinx. Now there's a name to cry for.

I actually don't mind either name
  • Die Another Day has plenty of awesome things to like about it, unfortunately for every thing to like there are 10 things to dislike.

DAD may have a ridiculous fake ice surfing scene but QOS has a ridiculous fake parachuting scene.

edited January 2015 Posts: 17,687
    After many seconds of careful consideration I will now state for the record that with the exception of the Moneypenny VR scene, DAD is a pretty decent OTT Bond movie. We (I include myself here) have all taken turns beating this one up, largely because it's so damned easy, but on my most recent viewing I found it to be quite a bit of fun. When you go into it expecting a MR mentality with DAF effects, there is enjoyment to be had. ** 1/2 *
    DAD is clearly awful, but it does manage to summon up more energy than TWINE, which is deathly dull. Tamahori may have made an almighty mess but at least the film doesn't send you to sleep.
    Yeah, say what you want about Tamahori, but he did keep things moving, didn't he? Apted directed like he was doing Coal Miner's Daughter. :))
  • Getafix wrote: »
    DAD is clearly awful, but it does manage to summon up more energy than TWINE, which is deathly dull. Tamahori may have made an almighty mess but at least the film doesn't send you to sleep.

We don't always agree but this is spot on (minus the first statement, which I would revise into "DAD clearly has many awful moments"). Well said.
    After many seconds of careful consideration I will now state for the record that with the exception of the Moneypenny VR scene, DAD is a pretty decent OTT Bond movie. We (I include myself here) have all taken turns beating this one up, largely because it's so damned easy, but on my most recent viewing I found it to be quite a bit of fun. When you go into it expecting a MR mentality with DAF effects, there is enjoyment to be had. ** 1/2 *

Brosnan is superb in it as well, taking the absurdity in stride and giving several really good moments. Too bad what was perhaps his best performance was matched with Jinx *shudder*

Too bad what was perhaps his best performance was matched with Jinx *shudder*
    I just take her to be an annoying character. She was clearly meant to grate, and as such, she was a success.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    In fact, am I the only one that would like to see a few Bond films without any explosions for a change?
    Yes.

:)) No, seriously, I'd welcome it in the right movie. But to many if not all of the general movie going public, it's all about the explosions.
    Which is silly, because it's actually all about the lasers. ;)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2015 Posts: 15,686
    Now that brings an interesting question - how many action movies made in the last 10 years or so don't feature a single explosion?
    Now that brings an interesting question - how many action movies made in the last 10 years or so don't feature a single explosion?
    Okay, now that's a really really tough one. We're so used to seeing explosions that even if there ARE some we probably don't remember not seeing any explosions on them.
    I seem to recall that Haywire had no explosions. But then, it probably did and it's just that they were small or something... :))
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    DAD unquestionably had the Broz's best performance in my mind. Many cite GE or TND (which were obviously better films), but I think he was best in DAD.

I don't mind explosions, but they've got to make it less predictable. The hotel blowing up in QoS was quite trite (I was waiting for it to inevitably happen). Same with the house in SF (although the actual explosion was amazingly done).

In particular, I'd prefer no explosion in the finale. If they want to put one in during the middle (e.g. Mi6 blowing up in SF) I'm ok - just not at the end thank you very much.
    I've said this before but I think I prefer Broz in GE. True he has some good moments in DAD and is certainly confident, but I think he's too daddy-o in the film. Plus he does look like he's gained a little bit of weight.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I think Broz looked best in GE by far, and the movie was a work of art, but I thought he was unsure in that film. Like he was playing a strawman Bond. It worked for the movie, but I think it could have worked for another actor too because the entire supporting cast was so charismatic in that film. Bond just had to show up and not screw up.

In DAD I found he brought himself (i.e. Pierce Brosnan as Ian Fleming's James Bond) to the party in full force, and I actually liked it. Certainly much better than the version he brought to TWINE.
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    I just take her to be an annoying character. She was clearly meant to grate, and as such, she was a success.

See, I think that's just how bad her character was written. I disagree completely that she was "meant to grate" because the producers were very seriously considering a Jinx spin-off. And since I don't think they were planning a comedy I don't think any filmmaker wants their spy protagonist to be grating.

Horrible development, horrible dialogue, and a horrible performance from Berry.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I think Broz looked best in GE by far

I disagree. Although GOLDENEYE is one of my favorite Bond films I think Brosnan often looks like a frat boy in it and he seems too thin. He really fills out (gains confidence and puts on weight) in TOMORROW NEVER DIES.

His performance in GOLDENEYE works though. I liked the pulled back and restrained demeanor.

I disagree completely that she was "meant to grate" because the producers were very seriously considering a Jinx spin-off.
    You fell for that too? It was intended to lure Halle (an Oscar winner) into Bond.
    :))
    I enjoy Die Another Day for the most part. If Pierce can surf a glacier, I can run from a giant can. =))
    DBh93pF.gif

Oh Murdock you have me rolling! That is hilarious!!!! =))
    Okay, now that's a really really tough one. We're so used to seeing explosions that even if there ARE some we probably don't remember not seeing any explosions on them.
    I seem to recall that Haywire had no explosions. But then, it probably did and it's just that they were small or something... :))

I think Bourne Supremacy has no explosions.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I seem to recall Bourne making a whole house explode in Supremacy using a newspaper and a toaster. :D
    Movies made from LeCarre novels don't generally have explosions...
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    He was good in dances with wolves
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 12,242
    He was good in dances with wolves

I just saw that film for the first time a few months ago; very sad, but pretty well-done.