Anthony Horowitz's James Bond novel - Trigger Mortis

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    "Gentlemen, Start Your Coffins." Actually, that's a line the late sports columnist Jim Murray used when describing the Indianapolis 500 in its heyday.

I like it - thanks for sharing!
    I'm not sure I like any of these:

The Spy's Overtaker
    Overtaking The Undertaker
    Payment By Pavement
    The Russian, The Spy, and The Racer
    Out Of The Running
    Flaps And Seals, Guns And Wheels
    Slow And Steady Wins The War
    Death Race or Death Race 1950 ;)
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Blood flows red on the highway
  • It will be interesting when and how Horowitz includes the Fleming short in his novel.
    If I understand correctly, his commitment is to include the unpublished work in its entirety.
    Quite a challenge when you think about it. Apart from synchronising his plot it will require him to match completely the style of the master.
    Maybe he will use the short as a curtain raiser much in the same way as you have the pre-title sequence in the movies?
    That would give him more freedom with his own story - of course, it depends on the nature of the short.
    When I think of 'From A View To A Kill' from FYEO, it would have made a perfect curtain raiser for a bigger novel.
    We shall see - exciting stuff!
  • Just a thought - I wonder if the book will enjoy dual cover credits: by Ian Fleming & Anthony Horowitz?
    That would be a great marketing coup — the first time that the great man's name has appeared on a new book since 1966!
    This might be difficult for Anthony to swallow but the wonga from the extra sales would go a long way to smoothing all egos.
  • DrShatterhandDrShatterhand Garden of Death, near Belfast
    Villiers53 wrote: »
    It will be interesting when and how Horowitz includes the Fleming short in his novel.
    If I understand correctly, his commitment is to include the unpublished work in its entirety.
    Quite a challenge when you think about it. Apart from synchronising his plot it will require him to match completely the style of the master.
    Maybe he will use the short as a curtain raiser much in the same way as you have the pre-title sequence in the movies?
    That would give him more freedom with his own story - of course, it depends on the nature of the short.
    When I think of 'From A View To a Kill' from FYEO, it would have made a perfect curtain raiser for a bigger novel.

Wow, I knew the new book would be based on the Fleming material but had no idea it was going to actually include it. As you say, could be tricky for Horowitz to match it up with his stuff. Not impossible though.

Agree with your comment on the FAVTAK short story. I only recently read the FYEO collection for the first time and was amazed to find this story had no connection to any scene in the film. Surprised it hasn't been adapted in any way for the screen, must be one of the few unfilmed bits of Fleming.
  • 007InVT007InVT Classified
    It will be interesting when and how Horowitz includes the Fleming short in his novel.
    When I think of 'From A View To A Kill' from FYEO, it would have made a perfect curtain raiser for a bigger novel.

Excellent ideas @Villiers53

I think a curtain raiser would work very well, but the pressure would be on henceforth to match it. Perhaps it will be a key set piece embedded in the novel?

FAVTAK is a masterpiece of a short story. I think that could be utilized in a Bond film (in the right hands of course)

Dual credits would also be fun and I think appropriate - credit where credit is due.
  • 007InVT wrote: »

Excellent ideas @Villiers53

I think a curtain raiser would work very well, but the pressure would be on henceforth to match it. Perhaps it will be a key set piece embedded in the novel?

FAVTAK is a masterpiece of a short story. I think that could be utilized in a Bond film (in the right hands of course)

Dual credits would also be fun and I think appropriate - credit where credit is due.

Thanks @007InVT.
    Given lead times, doubtless the deal will already have been done but I hope IFP insisted - even if IF is given second billing to Anthony.
    If nothing else, it would be excellent for the franchise and would give literary continuation Bond a much needed shot in the arm.

Right - whatever the final outcome, it's all positive strides forward to preserve the Fleming legacy. Everything's a risk in the arts.
  • Actually, when I look back at @Risico007's starting post, he refers to "Murder On Wheels" being the start so I guess it is the curtain raiser?
    That said, when I attended the 'Moriarty' launch, Anthony just referred to including it.
    We will see - the suspense is killing me.
    edited January 2015 Posts: 805
    Also looking at the original post, it makes it clear the original Fleming piece was just an outline for a TV episode. So contary what was mentioned in an earlier post , I can't see that it will included in its entirety in the new book or Horowitz will have to worry about matching his style to Fleming. Looking forward to it nonetheless...gentleman start your coffins indeed :)
    Did you know that one of Fleming's original titles for OHMSS was "The Belles of Hell"? I think that's a good one!
  • Also looking at the original post, it makes it clear the original Fleming piece was just an outline for a TV episode. So contary what was mentioned in an earlier post , I can't see that it will included in its entirety in the new book or Horowitz will have to worry about matching his style to Fleming. Looking forward to it nonetheless...gentleman start your coffins indeed :)

We will see. I'm not too sure what an 'outline' is when it comes to Fleming.
    Remember, he didn't write screenplays. That wasn't his métier. Legend has it that the shorts that comprise FYEO and O&TLDL are mostly from the same TV idea.

He did write with film in mind though - whether that felt like a screenplay in Fleming's mind we don't know, but Moonraker was written with film in mind.
    edited January 2015 Posts: 17,727
    007InVT wrote: »
    He did write with film in mind though - whether that felt like a screenplay in Fleming's mind we don't know, but Moonraker was written with film in mind.

Indeed he did and the script for Fleming's Moonraker is surely the literary Bond's holy grail. All the more so for me as Moonraker is my favourite Bond novel and it was the first one I read at the age of twelve.
    and yet the actual film version of Moonraker was, well, unMoonraker...
    Yes it is the holy grail of literary Fleming and it deserves to be done properly one day, whether by a different name or not.
    JCRendle wrote: »
    and yet the actual film version of Moonraker was, well, unMoonraker...

Yes, there is a great irony in that. :)
  • PFOPFO
    edited January 2015 Posts: 18
    Just a thought - I wonder if the book will enjoy dual cover credits: by Ian Fleming & Anthony Horowitz?
    That would be a great marketing coup — the first time that the great man's name has appeared on a new book since 1966!

Not exactly. Talk of the Devil in 2008. And let's not forget Devil May Care, also 2008.

Also looking at the original post, it makes it clear the original Fleming piece was just an outline for a TV episode. So contary what was mentioned in an earlier post , I can't see that it will included in its entirety in the new book or Horowitz will have to worry about matching his style to Fleming. Looking forward to it nonetheless...gentleman start your coffins indeed :)

We will see. I'm not too sure what an 'outline' is when it comes to Fleming.
    Remember, he didn't write screenplays. That wasn't his métier. Legend has it that the shorts that comprise FYEO and O&TLDL are mostly from the same TV idea.

FYEO, mostly yes. But not O&TLD.
    Actually, when I look back at @Risico007's starting post, he refers to "Murder On Wheels" being the start so I guess it is the curtain raiser?
    That said, when I attended the 'Moriarty' launch, Anthony just referred to including it.
    We will see - the suspense is killing me.

I kind of hope that it isn't just at the beginning and that it will be interwoven somewhere half way to three quarters along in the story. I wonder if AH will use some of Fleming's original words. Sorry, did F just write an outline merely with ideas or an actual narrative?

Not a fan of that title. I hope not, personally.
  • Bounine wrote: »
    Actually, when I look back at @Risico007's starting post, he refers to "Murder On Wheels" being the start so I guess it is the curtain raiser?
    We will see — the suspense is killing me.

I kind of hope that it isn't just at the beginning and that it will be interwoven somewhere half way to three quarters along in the story. I wonder if AH will use some of Fleming's original words. Sorry, did F just write an outline merely with ideas or an actual narrative?

This is the six million dollar question?
    Given his style of writing directly through his type writer, I hope it's narrative but I don't think it has been publicly stated?
    Yes it is the holy grail of literary Fleming and it deserves to be done properly one day, whether by a different name or not.

Definitely. For all its invisible car, tsunami surfing, gene replacement therapy twaddle, the worse crime DAD committed in my book was the appalling misappropriation of the MR plot

• 007InVT wrote: »
    I am not a massive fan of the movies (DN,FRWL,TB,GF,OHMSS,CR&SF excepted) and have been so disappointed over the years that I have low expectations.
    That said, my one remaining dream is that MR should be produced as a period piece and remain completely faithful to the novel.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I hope that it is MURDER ON WHEELS.

It won't be - Anthony Horowitz has already confirmed that.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    I am not a massive fan of the movies (DN,FRWL,TB,GF,OHMSS,CR&SF excepted) and have been so disappointed over the years that I have low expectations.
    That said, my one remaining dream is that MR should be produced as a period piece and remain completely faithful to the novel.

Your seven exceptions are all on my Top Ten, so we're pretty in sync. But, yes, that is something I think about, as well. A definitive adaptation of the best Bond novel.
    Birdleson wrote: »

Your seven exceptions are all on my Top Ten, so we're pretty in sync. But, yes, that is something I think about, as well. A definitive adaptation of the best Bond novel.

"Best Bond novel", not to split hairs but I agonise over this (FRWL v OHMSS v MR).
    Love San Jose though @ Birdelson. I used to visit it frequently when I lived in the US.

• Birdleson wrote: »
    @Villiers53 , the other two novel you mentioned would be my other possible contenders for favorite (along with YOLT). So, we are of similar tastes.

I've lived in San Jose for about 13 years now, and I'm pretty well stuck here until retirement (mortgage, pension, etc), but I actually preferred living on the East Coast (grew up there, then sporadically as an adult) and living in LA (about 12 years). If I could afford to move 50 miles North and buy a place in San Francisco (average home price is over a million dollars there, as opposed to here where it's a mere 600 grand), I would.

Where are you located now?

When I lived in the US we lived in Old Greenwich CT and I worked in NYC (love SF).
    Today we are in the UK and live in Surrey (SW of London). Love it here too but it was a tough choice coming back after 20 years abroad (2 in Paris, 8 in Copenhagen and 10 in the US).
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 4,622
    I do think Eon should license the entire Fleming story collection to HBO and do a series on the Fleming books- all the stories- and in chronological order.
    I would do them in the present day, but be perfectly faithful to the original stories.
    Just tweek as necessary to account for passage of time, changed espionage landscape and modern tech etc, but do keep the stories, characters intact. Easily done I think.
    I don't want periods pieces as DN OMHMSS GF FRWL TB were all done already, very close to the period. Maybe some selected period pieces down the road.
    I think Eon needs to expand screen Bond into more formats.
    This way we could get a proper telling of Moonraker, even in a 2015 context, it could be done, as well as FAVTAK, which would be awesome.
    Bring Viv Michel to life, the real Sol Horror and Sluggsy. Good times!
    Bond in the Seychelles with Krest and the very exotic Liz. Filmmakers could indugle some really engaging underwater shooting.
    Bring the actual Quantum of Solace story to life. That drama would play out real nice on screen. Include Bond's little sabatoge mission as well, before he settles in for the story telling.
    The HBO format would be perfect. We could dispense with the big action scenes that the feature films demand and take a Game of Thrones approach to set design and action pieces.

Anyway, upcoming book, does look very promising.