Ian Fleming Introduces Jamaica

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I have it. Just read the introduction by Fleming a few nights ago. He quotes a Horizon article from 1947 at length in it. Despite the title, that is the only part contributed by Fleming as he died before the project was completed I believe. My copy is a first edition from October 1965. I got it on Amazon about two years go.
  • 007InVT007InVT Classified
    Is too long to transcribe?
    edited April 2014 Posts: 17,782
    Yes, at 11 pages it is rather. Well worth buying though. I could photocopy it for you, I suppose.
  • I've been to the Bahamas....it's naturally beautiful but the poverty there and in Jamaica can't be ignored. The education is corrupt that citizens of those island areas dream of saving up to send their kids to the Netherlands for education (such as in smaller islands like St. Maarten). The Bahamas keeps getting storms that knock down power lines. Power lines are overhead and can be seen anywhere you are travelling in the island. There aren't that many conveniences there which you'd find in England. The wealthier folks are foreigners from other countries who know how to work the system and hijack properties there.

Ian Fleming was in the Bahamas and Jamaica before they became too popular and needed this kind of environment to relax as a writer so he could think. If you move one inch in those islands, you are sure to break a sweat in the first few days of being there. There isn't much motivation to work, so the banks are open only Monday through Friday from 9-4. The opportunity for a quality education isn't available and now the consequences are multiplying. The people there are very sweet, social, and spiritual (not so materialistic). The Port Authority is more responsive than their gov.
  • Every time I see Bond dressed up in the Caribbean in a tux or nice suit, I laugh my ass off because of how such clothing would cause so much sweat. Really, only QoS shows the most poverty via Haiti and the depression going on in South America.
    I just picked this book up - well worth it in general and IF provides a great intro.
  • Every time I see Bond dressed up in the Caribbean in a tux or nice suit, I laugh my ass off because of how such clothing would cause so much sweat. Really, only QoS shows the most poverty via Haiti and the depression going on in South America.

Don't laugh your posterior off too quickly @dramaticscenesofQOS;36113.
    If you go to the fabulous 'Roundhill Country Club' in Montego Bay and treat yourself to a vodka martini in the club house bar, you will notice that the walls in this delightful hostelry are decorated with photos showing Ian Fleming and numerous other dignitaries dressed very elegantly in black tie. Furthermore, to this day, there are numerous formal events where people still dress correctly.
    The fact of the matter is that the Caribbean is composed of very different countries.
    Jamaica is a fabulous place. Ian loved it and did a great job introducing it to the world.
    Of course, you won't find the level of wealth or consumerism that exists in the US or some European countries but frankly many of us think that's a good thing.
    For Bond fans, a trip to Jamaica is an absolute must. There is much to see and do and the people are fabulous
    Hoping to go sometime this year or next. Did you know that Moxons Beach Club was started by the actor who played Strangways in Dr. No? Timothy Moxon.
  • 007InVT wrote: »
    Hoping to go sometime this year or next. Did you know that Moxons Beach Club was started by the actor who played Strangways in Dr. No? Timothy Moxon.

I had no idea but I'll certainly look it up when I go back.
    I've been several times over the years and love the place.
    My favourite place to stay is 'Round Hill' but I've also stayed at 'Jamaica Inn' at Ocho Rios which is good and much cheaper.
    'Goldeneye' is very expensive and honestly not worth the money. It's not a patch on 'Round Hill' - Chris Blackwell is just trading off the heritage. If you go for lunch, you can look around and use their facilities.
    'Firefly', Noel Coward's old house at Blue Harbour is also well worth a visit.

Thanks for the tips @Villiers53!
    It's time the films returned to Jamaica. Very long overdue. It's Bonds spiritual home in many ways. Had Fleming not discovered it I doubt we'd have Bond as we know it.
    edited November 2016 Posts: 17,782
    Getafix wrote: »
    It's time the films returned to Jamaica. Very long overdue. It's Bonds spiritual home in many ways. Had Fleming not discovered it I doubt we'd have Bond as we know it.

Very much agreed. Apart from DN being filmed there in 1962, the last time a Bond film was made partly in Jamaica was for LALD in 1972 with the alligator farm and even then it was merely doubling for the fictional San Monique. The original LALD novel was of course partly set in Jamaica though.
    There are so many amazing locations in Jamaica. They're really missing a trick by not going back there.

It would be nice to have a sequence shot at Goldeneye