Worst TV Finale

edited October 2011 in General Movies & TV Posts: 2,341
Lets think this one thru...I have to say the finale of 'LOST' that really sucked anally as did the final two seasons. Shame how a great show ended in the toilet.
It was just awful they "jumped the shark" in Season 5 following a great (and brief) season 4 then by the time the two and a half hour series finale came on I was so sick and it was painful to watch. I still don't get what all the **** was about.
They never answered some burning questions: Who and where did the Others come from? Were they always there? and finally What and How was the Island. I never got it.

Comments

• KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Seinfeld's final episode was a real letdown.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited October 2011 Posts: 28,694
    Well, the cut to black ending of The Sopranos really angered fans. As for me I'll try to think but I've more often liked more finales than disliked.
    The M*A*S*H finale was the most watched ever (before the explosion of cable TV). it was depressing and unfunny. Too preachy. It destroyed Hawkeye Pierce as a hero. P.S. I still can't forgive Tom Cruize for destroying the Jim Phelps character in the first Mission Impossible movie. What's wrong with that shrimp?
    Don't blame Cruise - he didn't write the film. David Koepp did. Although I think a better ending would have involved the real mole dying in the opening mission, and Jim Phelps being forced to take up the mantle of a traitor (knowing Ethan Hunt will come after him) to flush Max out and protect the NOC list.

Anyway, I'd nominate "The Renovators" as having the worst ending ... but it was a bad show to begin with (not even the constentants understood the rules at times), so the ending was pretty consistent. Also, it was a reality TV show, so it doesn't really count.
    i would have to say not for the episode but how it was the end:

Farscape they were commissioned to do 5 seasons but just cut it off...
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Seinfeld's final episode was a real letdown.
    I felt this way after the show, but thinking about it now, I really don't feel this way anymore. Seinfeld and David really thought about this and presented a show which was full of cameos from the most popular characters, with a small story. I think that people's expectations were to see an unbelievably funny "typical" Seinfeld episode instead, but this wouldn't have felt like a finale imo.
    Lets think this one thru...I have to say the finale of 'LOST' that really sucked anally as did the final two seasons. Shame how a great show ended in the toilet.
    LOST sucked because about halfway through the first season, it became fairly obvious that they were just making things up as they went along. And by the end of the first season, they had taken to piquing viewer interest by piling unanswred question on top of them. Rather than actually answering questions, they left them unresolved and asked new ones instead, and by the time they got to the series finale, they had dozens of unresolved plot threads hanging about.
  • edited October 2011 Posts: 4,622
    I would rate the Lost Series Finale as excellent and very satisfying. Now mind I idid have the advangtage of burning through the entire series, seasons 1-6, back to back, roughly 3 episodes a day, until completion, so staying on top of things wasn't that hard. Plus I watched all the extras and commentaries as I burned through the seasons as well. All was well answered. I don't have any pressing questions. And no they weren't making it up as they went along. The network had even commited to two seasons in advance. Lindeloff and Cuse make it clear they were allowed to plan well in advance. In fact in one of the extras discussions, they actually prove that they had to have been planning well in advance. If you pay close attention, all the questions that mattered were tied up with a neat little bow, although I can see how it's easy to get lost with a show like this, if your watching is spaced out and and you're not taking notes. I couldn't follow it first time around either, but do an intense Lost full series marathon and it all dovetails together very nicely.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I felt a little letdown by 24's finale, though not to the point where I'd say it bugged me like hell. It's just that being the 24 fan that I am, I expected an entire episode of closure on all those wonderful years of 24. My go-to reference is Battlestar Galactica, where by the end of season 4 I'm blown away by the final episode.
    The conclusion to BSG was indeed epic. Very well done. I'd rank it with Lost as two of the great series of the last decade.
  • These Are The Voyages.. Star Trek Enterprise. It wasn't even an Enterprise episode, it was a Next Generation episode with Enterprise characters in it.
    I fear that I'll return to this thread on Sunday to complain about the last episode of Spooks. I'm hoping they'll pull off a good closing ep but I just don't think it'll happen. The worst ending I can think of is the Sopranos. That cut to black was just terrible. For me, the best finale was for the Shield. It wrapped up plot threads from throughout its run, answered a lot of questions and actually had a sense of finality to it rather than just playing out like any other episode. I consider it to be the bench mark for series finales.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited October 2011 Posts: 13,350
    I felt a little letdown by 24's finale, though not to the point where I'd say it bugged me like hell. It's just that being the 24 fan that I am, I expected an entire episode of closure on all those wonderful years of 24.
    That's no doubt because of the planned film, which may never happen. I don't think it was ever meant as the end.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I felt a little letdown by 24's finale, though not to the point where I'd say it bugged me like hell. It's just that being the 24 fan that I am, I expected an entire episode of closure on all those wonderful years of 24.
    That's no doubt because of the planned film, which may never happen. I don't think it was ever meant as the end.
    Interesting. Wasn't Redemption planned as "the" 24 film? I could be mistaken.
  • I felt a little letdown by 24's finale, though not to the point where I'd say it bugged me like hell. It's just that being the 24 fan that I am, I expected an entire episode of closure on all those wonderful years of 24.
    i thought the planned 24 film was a die hard/24 crossover
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited October 2011 Posts: 13,350
    No. A full length feature film was planned and given as one of the reasons for 24 ending. It's been talked about for a good few years whilst it was on TV and was set to go ahead when 24 ended. It was originally planned for Summer 2011 but keeps being pushed back. We may see it some day though.

There was a rumoured - and wrong - "news" of a Die Hard and 24 crossover at one point LOL!
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 12,837
    gavin and stacey finale could've been alot better, the inbetweeners had a great finale but the movie counts as the real finale and that was no where near as good as the TV series. lost had a sh*t finale, ashes to ashes had a stupid finale that kind of ruined every episode of life on mars and all the other ashes to ashes episodes for me (wait, so they're all dead. thats it, they're all f*ckin dead. so how did sam get back, was he only half there. because alex got back and she was dead all that time apparently, so was sam never really back when he killed himself to go back to the 70s. oh, and dont forget gene hunt is god and the new bad guy was the devil, and his police department was hell. it made no sense to me)
  • LudsLuds MIA
    edited October 2011 Posts: 1,986
    LOST sucked because about halfway through the first season, it became fairly obvious that they were just making things up as they went along. And by the end of the first season, they had taken to piquing viewer interest by piling unanswred question on top of them. Rather than actually answering questions, they left them unresolved and asked new ones instead, and by the time they got to the series finale, they had dozens of unresolved plot threads hanging about.
    I had to quit early in season 3 when i became blatantly obvious that the writers not only were making things up, but were also not concerned about their fans and resolving plot holes and stories.
    I felt a little letdown by 24's finale, though not to the point where I'd say it bugged me like hell. It's just that being the 24 fan that I am, I expected an entire episode of closure on all those wonderful years of 24. My go-to reference is Battlestar Galactica, where by the end of season 4 I'm blown away by the final episode.
    Not sure what you intended here Dimi, but 24 was always about Jack and how he was being screwed by the system even though he saved the world 73 and a half time from annihilation. I found the second half of season 8 very satisfying including the finale as he takes off again.
  • The X Files - loved the series, then after season 5 it just got mssed up and the finale (if you can call it that), well, it pretty much sucked.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Same idea as Seinfeld, the X-Files finale was a basic story with cameos from all the key figures in the franchise. I really don't see what people expected from them. I wasn't crazy about either finales initially, but in retrospect, am very happy with both of them now.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Lost's finale was horrible. Season 4-onwards was just rubbish episodes after rubbish episodes.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Heroes was a really great swinger for NBC but I quit it in Season 3 where everything writing and creativity wise went out the window. I have no idea how it ended, and don't care.