Any Lara Croft fans hereabouts?

chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
My Son's been playing the video games, so I thought I'd show him Angelina's movies.
The first was interesting, but maybe a little too ambitious for its own good. I loved seeing Dan in it though, and his American accent was truly hilarious.
The second was a straight up adventure & Gerard Butler was a great foil for Ms. Jolie IMO.
Too bad the series ended there, one or two more would have been appreciated.

Thoughts or reviews on the movies & games?

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I'm a fan of the games, not so much of the films, i've also got some of the comics. Favourite game? Legend, followed by Tomb Raider (2013).
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I never played the games but *sigh* I gotta make a confession... I like the second movie?

hqdefault.jpg

WOOOW! Back off!
    Let me explain.

Firstly, Angie's pretty hot and badass in the film. Also, Gerard Butler does his part of the job rather well. Ciaran Hinds is a great villain and I'm a huge fan of Silvestri's scores so naturally I gravitate towards this film even more because of his tunes. The action is decent enough and I thought it was an overall improvement over the first film.

People who expected a Citizen Kane should have understood what this was: a video game adaptation. Uwe Boll tried and he never got it right. Other attempts have been made, but few are as enjoyable, IMO, as TR2. Yeah, here's the food analogy again: TR2 is like peperoni pizza: the more cheese and spicy meat you put on it, the better it tastes. TR2 brings the meat and it sure packs a lot of spice so I'm happy. And when I'm at the pizza stand, I don't expect an expensive steak anyway so I'm rolling with this.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I agree with everything you said, DD. And Hinds was a particularly despicable toad.
    Not sure how much Box office each film did? But i am surprised they did not make more with her? On a seperate note i don't mind at all seeing Angelina in that costume!!!! :-bd
    I like how Lara was working in conjunction with MI6 in the second one. Bond must have been on extended holiday with Jinx.... :))
    like the ps1 games even tho there hard to control and the 1st movie is cool saw it in theatres when I was a kid.
    like the ps1 games even tho there hard to control and the 1st movie is cool saw it in theatres when I was a kid.
    Never saw the second?
    only once on tv and I didn't see the whole thing
    @Problem_Eliminator you *need* to see the second, it's way cool.
    will do
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    I heard there are plans for a third movie.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    They're rebooting it.

Played and loved the original games and bought the latest one but haven't gotten around to playing it properly.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I enjoyed both films, they had some great action/stunt sequences.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Massive fan off the games, but I was useless at them.
    The games really are classics! Love them!
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    The games really are classics! Love them!

Me too. The only Tomb Raider games I haven't played are the first one (but I completed Anniversary), Angel of Darkness and the new one, but I loved TR 2-5, Legend and Underworld.
    I've played games 1 through 5, and the 2013 reboot. I started to play Rise of the Tomb Raider but stopped early on, in Siberia. I wasn't having much fun, but worst of all, this Lara feels so different from the old one. No sense of fun, confidence and cockiness to her. It was the same in the 2013 game but I was more engaged by the story, I suppose. I'm fascinated by the fact I find this so crucial.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Big fan I have played every single Tomb Raider game, the films are not great though the first film is much better than the second.

@mattjoes I am still playing Rise of the Tomb Raider, I completed the full game and bought the DLC all of them they were on offer on Xbox Live
    The next game is coming out this year, I think.

Anybody played the TR2 remake demo? Pretty great. There's also a TR3 remake in the works. Fan-made, both of them.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    ...Rises. gets better when you get past the military installation there are some pretty stunning graphics once in the valley.

I have a few of the older games on PC, I bought Anniversary though did not realise there was a remake of TR2 that was quite a difficult game quite challenging, TR3 was my favourite from the early games recently played some of it again on PC.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Big fan here. I love the games and the first film, and after all these years I'm still pleased about that bold decision to make an action game with a female protagonist. (I fancy myself as a bit of a Lara Croft. I have a degree in dead languages, after all.)

I have very happy memories of playing the original over one summer, hanging out with my friend and his PlayStation, and I'm excited that the new game is getting a Mac OS version - haven't played a Tomb Raider game on my Mac since the early noughties!

BTW, Lara Croft Go is a nice little game for those of us who enjoy puzzles but get fed up of being violently killed because we're not so quick with the Magnums...
    ...Rises. gets better when you get past the military installation there are some pretty stunning graphics once in the valley.
    I think I stopped before getting past it. Maybe I'll give it another try one of these days.

I have a few of the older games on PC, I bought Anniversary though did not realise there was a remake of TR2 that was quite a difficult game quite challenging, TR3 was my favourite from the early games recently played some of it again on PC.
    This is the TR2 remake:

TR3 may be my favorite as well. The India levels are just great.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I think I stopped before getting past it. Maybe I'll give it another try one of these days.

This is the TR2 remake:

TR3 may be my favorite as well. The India levels are just great.

Wow I need to get this will check what platforms it is available on.
  • I love what I've played of the games but I don't like the bland looking version of the character they're going with. Tomb Raider should be compared to Bond and MI
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    There hasn't been a MI game in forever and the last few Bond games have been trash and there's nothing on the front for a Bond game coming out within the next few years.

Huge Tomb Raider fan. Love the games and I like Camilla Luddington as the character. Haven't completed RoTtR yet and I'm curious about the new film but think it was a missed opportunity to not cast Gamma Arteton or Laura Haddock. Not really a fan of Vikander.
    The new orchestral recording of the Tomb Raider theme, part of the upcoming Tomb Raider Suite album, premiered on Classic FM a few hours ago:

Performed by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra and Metro Voices, and recorded at Abbey Road.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I've just bought two bottles of limited edition 'Larazade'. I don't even like Lucozade.