Spectre Gunbarrel ***Spoilers***

Comments

While I would have preferred that the gun barrel started Skyfall, the positioning at the end made WAY more sense than it did at the end of Quantum of Solace.

In Bond 24, I'm sure it'll be back.
  • GSSGSS
    As great as Skyfall was the one aspect of the movie I was disappointed in was that they retained the gunbarrel scene at the end just like in Quantum of Solace :/

Yes I agree with that. Personally I think that they should restore the gun barrel to its traditional position (ie at the start of the film).

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    They should restore the gunbarrel at the beginning of the films.

At present they are ruining tradition and a unique trademark of the series!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    tumblr_mdi2hyAJcD1qbc06uo1_500.gif

Is it me or, are Craig's and Dalton's gb the same???
  • SJK91 wrote:
    While I would have preferred that the gun barrel started Skyfall, the positioning at the end made WAY more sense than it did at the end of Quantum of Solace.

In Bond 24, I'm sure it'll be back.

I agree. I resented it initially because I really wanted it to kick off the film. But looking at it in the context of the whole thing, the artistic decision to have it end the film is the correct one. No question.

Unfortunately, because QoS did that already it lessens the originality of the idea for me a bit, and that's a shame. It may have been more impactful had this been the first film where that happened. Nonetheless, I still support the decision.

• DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    I actually agree on the artistic decision to have it in the end, and it actually created applause from the audience, first to have Mallory giving Bond his next job, Bond saying "With pleasure... M." and than the gun barrel. Liked this tonuge-in-cheek-thing. Oh, and I hope, that in Bond 24 we will have the GB at the beginning of the film...
  • I'm 99% sure the gun barrel goes back to the start on Bond 24
  • gt007 wrote:
    bondsum wrote:
    gt007 wrote:
    I was worried for the gunbarrel being at the end of the film. But I watched it last night and it fits perfectly with the introduction of Miss Moneypenny, M and the new/old office, and the Bond theme climax. Amazing stuff, the whole cinema started applauding and cheering!
    Sadly at my viewing of SF at the Odeon Leicester Sq everyone got up noisily and headed straight for the exits as soon as the GB started, which totally ruined it for me!!
    People have said that before and I'm really surprised. I watched the film for the second time last night and again everyone started applauding and cheering when the gunbarrel appeared.

On the other hand, in 2008 they turned the lights on as soon as the screen went black before the gunbarrel so everyone was getting up and ready to go. The pause before the gunbarrel in QoS was longer though.

People applauded during both screenings of Skyfall I went to for the gun barrel. For me I was giddy the second I saw the hatrack the padded red door to M's office and the FYEO file. But of course I was the biggest fan in the audience.
  • Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    edited November 2012 Posts: 403
    It NEEDS to be at the start of the film. Who designed the one for SF by the way? The producers said it would be reminiscent of the one from the early Connery films (DN-GF) but the one we got looked like a art student's rough draft with no real detail. Why does Craig have to film a new walk for every film anyway? Can't they just do one and get Kleinman to produce a CGI GB similar to the one from the Brosnan era? Basically, if the GB doesn't fit with your first shot, you have to change your first shot, no question.
  • It NEEDS to be at the start of the film. Who designed the one for SF by the way? The producers said it would be reminiscent of the one from the early Connery films (DN-GF) but the one we got looked like a art student's rough draft with no real detail. Why does Craig have to film a new walk for every film anyway? Can't they just do one and get Kleinman to produce a CGI GB similar to the one from the Brosnan era? Basically, if the GB doesn't fit with your first shot, you have to change your first shot, no question.
    I don't think the producers said anything about the gunbarrel design being reminiscent of the Connery one, and it was designed by Daniel Kleinman who has been doing them since GE (with the exception of QOS).
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    It NEEDS to be at the start of the film. Who designed the one for SF by the way? The producers said it would be reminiscent of the one from the early Connery films (DN-GF) but the one we got looked like a art student's rough draft with no real detail. Why does Craig have to film a new walk for every film anyway? Can't they just do one and get Kleinman to produce a CGI GB similar to the one from the Brosnan era? Basically, if the GB doesn't fit with your first shot, you have to change your first shot, no question.
    I don't think the producers said anything about the gunbarrel design being reminiscent of the Connery one, and it was designed by Daniel Kleinman who has been doing them since GE (with the exception of QOS).

I agree entirely with Mr Fekkesh.

I saw the film on IMAX last night and I actually think the QOS one is a better design. Ok the walk for SF is better but the actual GB animation is so poor. If you take the QOS GB and the SF walk and put them together you just about get a (very) average GB. Taken individually they are both pretty awful.

Fekkesh is also right about the opening shot. These films are storyboarded to buggery so I don't see how it happened. You start with a blank piece of paper, draw the GB and take it from there. Seems like Mendes is saying he completed the film and then went to tag the GB on the front and found it doesnt work which sounds like a mistake on the directors part to me.

Battleshipgreygt even if the GB is designed by Kleinman I don't hold him responsible at all. He just does what he's told - someone at EON has decided they don't want a classic GB and they'd rather have this rubbish instead.

What is utterly perplexing is that the logo for the 50th IS the classic GB so I really don't understand the logic.

Wouldn't it be better to have a classic GB, then the blood come down (slowly like a real fluid not this mach 3 CGI crap) and then have it morph seamlessly into the 50th logo? Rather than a shit GB and then a cut to the logo?

The whole thing just seems tacked on, rushed and badly thought out by everyone involved which is a great shame for all the care lavished on the film in every other area.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 1,215
    I agreed with Mendes on the placement of the gunbarrel, but I didn't care for the design or the pose, but at the end of the day I didn't really care because the gunbarrel isn't all that important to me.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I liked the entire Gunbarrel better. the design was better than QoS and the pose was similar to Daltons on the LTK poster. I approve! :)
  • Totally agree with some posters that the gun barrel is not great, having watched it a few times now looks cheap compared to recent gun barrels. Its not the be all and end all of a bond movie. Though for me the gun barrel is a instant impact moment that says right you are in a bond film, when the gun barrel looks good the impact is better.
    Totally agree with some posters that the gun barrel is not great, having watched it a few times now looks cheap compared to recent gun barrels. Its not the be all and end all of a bond movie. Though for me the gun barrel is a instant impact moment that says right you are in a bond film, when the gun barrel looks good the impact is better.

Exactly. It's not the be all and end all and for all those saying it doesn't matter you of course have a point as SF is a very good film and the GB is cosmetic and largely an irrelevance. However the cherry on the cake would have been a well executed GB up front. Don't think Delia or Gordon Ramsay would bake a sumptuous cake and then hide the cherry somewhere in the middle where no one will see it.

Mind you when the GB is done as poorly as they have been recently I can understand why they tuck it away at the back and hope half the audience are out the door before it comes on.
  • I think the gun barrel is a pivotal part of any Bond movie. After all from 1962-2002 it was ever present at the very start, and lo and behold they mess around with it and with a new Bond in 2006, they put the damn thing immediately before the credits intro and then Solace saw it again at the very end of all things, which was sadly used again this year. It really is frustrating to see

The last proper gun barrel was 1999, we entered a new century, had a stupid CGI bullet, (at least it was at the start) but still questionable, and then as before, they put it in different places to some great irritation amongst others

I don't think they will go back to the very beginning again as we saw up to 2002. I feel now, they will continue to show it at the very end, which is a genuine pity

You can understand some will argue vehemently over this, but what can you do

Goodnight :-<
    I think another reason they put it at the end is because immediatly after it they showed the 50 years logo which is in the gun barrell. I know they could've shown that anyway after Bond said his line but it all sort of fit with the introduction of Monepenny, the new M and the office then the Gun Barrell and the 50 years logo.
    Sharky wrote:
    I think another reason they put it at the end is because immediatly after it they showed the 50 years logo which is in the gun barrell. I know they could've shown that anyway after Bond said his line but it all sort of fit with the introduction of Monepenny, the new M and the office then the Gun Barrell and the 50 years logo.

Well no because the 50 years logo is the classic GB not the piece of crap design they went with so they still had to cut to it rather than Bond disappear and be replaced with '50 years' within the same GB which would have been a lot smoother.

Or how about this for an idea as the GB at the end worked so well in the context of the film - 2 GBs! One at the beginning and one at the end. Is that a good idea or worse than putting it at the end? The first is the GB for the film and the second is just part of the nod to the 50th.

• I know a lot of discussion has centred on the GB's placement in the film.

But what do people think of the design? Personally I didn't care much for it. I was kinda surprised they went for an updated GB since the publicity for the film really leaned heavily on Binder's design. I'd rather they kept the design from QOS.
  • I didn't like the design. I hope for the next film they either use the Brosnan one (perfect update of the original), or even bring the original back. Just please ditch the weird leathery design.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    I think it would be terrific if they just lifted the gun barrel from one of the early Connery's, and inserted Craig. And use the original version of the theme. The same one.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 11,119
    =bg= wrote: »
    I think it would be terrific if they just lifted the gun barrel from one of the early Connery's, and inserted Craig. And use the original version of the theme. The same one.

I think that could be very likely. Just making the actual dots and the gunbarrel-circle smaller, like with the first three gunbarrel sequences (DN, FRWL, GF), would create even slightly more mystery to the character.

It's also the biggest wish of most Bond fans in here that the original Maurice Binder-barrel returns.....perhaps with a very good rendition of Monty Norman's Bond theme, reworked by Thomas Newman.

What about a combination of this gunbarrel (lovely music, great gunbarrel pose by Daniel):

But combined with the original gunbarrel template from Maurice Binder:
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited January 2015 Posts: 10,586
    Should I bother creating a new thread for the SPECTRE gunbarrel?
    jake24 wrote: »
    Should I bother creating a new thread for the SPECTRE gunbarrel?

Just change the title to SPECTRE Gunbarrel ***Spoilers*** instead and keep this thread going.
    I would like to see a classic Maurice Binder gunbarrell with that red shroud coming down instead of the computer generated crap we have been treated to in recent outtings. Just my opinion
  • nick_007nick_007 Ville Marie
    I dislike over the top CGI as much as the next fellow but I think the one place in the film where I welcome it would be the gunbarrel. No sense in going back to the Binder gunbarrel picture when we can generate a perfectly good looking gunbarrel with computers.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    IMO the GE gunbarrel was the absolute best; same as the Maurice but the first with animated metal effect.
    I have a very strong attachment with the CR gunbarrel as well, given the lead up and context; that and I almost had heart failure with excitement when it happened :D
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    We should resurrect this thread and change it to the SPECTRE gunbarrel.
    If we're changing this to the SPECTRE gunbarrel thread, then I'd like to be the first to say...

Gunbarrel to open the film, before the PTS! Who's with me? :D
    edited February 2015 Posts: 10,586
    JCRendle wrote: »
    If we're changing this to the SPECTRE gunbarrel thread, then I'd like to be the first to say...

Gunbarrel to open the film, before the PTS! Who's with me? :D
    Would it be classified as a spoiler if I knew something about the SPECTRE gunbarrel itself?