The James Bond Wardrobe/Style Thread

jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
edited December 2016 in Bond Movies Posts: 10,586
I've created a thread to talk about Bond's wardrobe and style for the upcoming 24th 007 adventure, SPECTRE. You can discuss Tom Ford's suits and tailoring and discuss other aspects of Bond's attire. Also welcome are ideas of what type of suits, (design, cuts, fittings, etc.), accessories (watches, cufflinks, ties, glasses, etc.) Bond could be sporting, and his overall style throughout the film in it's entirety. Debates are always welcome.

maxresdefault2.jpg?be5b59

Skyfall_Shanghai_Bar-710x473.jpg

FIRST-LOOK_post.jpg

Comments

Controversial opinion: the fewer suits Bond is wearing, the better. This is 2015, it's possible to be stylish and elegant without resorting to suits.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 260
    Excellent. My favorite part of the movies.

Hopefully the negative reaction from the menswear community last time will result in suits that fit this time.

I'm sure that the accessories will be typical, Omega watches, Church's shoes (though C&J were worn in the presser, so maybe that's the call), TF sunglasses, etc..

I really hope that Everest reprises his role as Fiennes tailor, had some beautiful pieces in Skyfall.

Id like to see Craig wear a little more combat attire. The closest is his CR outfit during the parkour sequence.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 4,619
    doghouse wrote: »
    Hopefully the negative reaction from the menswear community last time will result in suits that fit this time.

Maybe the reaction was negative in one or two menswear related forums, but the statement that the reaction from the "menswear community" was negative is simply not true.
  • Tuck91 wrote: »
    Id like to see Craig wear a little more combat attire. The closest is his CR outfit during the parkour sequence.
    I'd love that too- if I'm not mistaken, the last time we saw strictly 'combat gear' was the PTS in GoldenEye

Maybe the reaction was negative in one or two menswear related forums, but the statement that the reaction from the "menswear community" was negative is simply not true.

It was negative throughout the industry.

Prove it. I will start proving that you are wrong with the fact that Skyfall won a Costume Designers Guild Award in the Contemporary Film category back in 2013. The voters of that guild know far more about clothes than you or I ever will. Sure, Bond's suits were only a small portion of the clothes made for the film, but I don't think Skyfall would have won that award, had the main character's suits been ill-fitting.

Prove it. I will start proving that you are wrong with the fact that Skyfall won a Costume Designers Guild Award in the Contemporary Film category back in 2013. The voters of that guild know far more about clothes than you or I ever will. Sure, Bond's suits were only a small portion of the clothes made for the film, but I don't think Skyfall would have won that award, had the main character's suits been ill-fitting.

You haven't "proved" anything other than you aren't using logical operators correctly. The last sentence isn't a correct logical construct.

There is no "proving" anything (other than the suits didn't fit, just look at the pictures of him standing around). I know who I have talked to in the tailoring industry and I know their opinion.

You've made many declarative statements about what I know without any knowledge of my background, so I would say you should probably re-evaluate your assumptions. And probably not continue to say things that make you look like a jerk (or maybe not, I dunno).

One of my ex's works in costuming and went to design school; I can count on one hand the amount she knows about men's tailoring, so that would be a starting point for you to think about your assumptions and declarations.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Controversial opinion: the fewer suits Bond is wearing, the better. This is 2015, it's possible to be stylish and elegant without resorting to suits.

You and your blasphemous mouth can sod off. Batman has his cowl, superman has his cape and Bond has his sharp suits.
    :D
    doubleoego wrote: »

You and your blasphemous mouth can sod off. Batman has his cowl, superman has his cape and Bond has his sharp suits.
    :D

Truth.
    @doghouse At least you should admit that your statement that the reaction to Bond's suits in Skyfall "was negative throughout the industry" is completely ridiculous, considering that the members of the American Costume Designers Guild thought that Skyfall had the best contemporary costume design in 2012.

Your ex is one person, the Costume Designers Guild has more than 700 members.
  • I personally would.like to.see bond dressed in North face gear.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    I didn't hear any negative reaction, but then again I wasn't looking for it. Perhaps @doghouse could share some links to this negative reaction?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Personally I did find his suits ill-fitting in SF. That must have been the look they were going for (I can't imagine on this expensive a production they would not have realized how their main star came across). I'm not sure why and what constituency, if any, they were appealing to with that tight look. I just happen not to like it.

I think he looked absolutely fantastic at the end of CR, in the 3-piece suit when confronting White. Now that was JAMES BOND, blaring Norman theme and all.... I also liked the way the tux that Vesper got him in CR fit as well. His QoS suits fit reasonably well too, if a little loose IMO. I still think CR's finale suit was the best.

I don't care who makes them, just go for a more traditional cut.

I did not like his hair either. Too short. I prefer his CR look, and I think they've got it right for SP, from the early photos I've seen.

RE: The watch: I would prefer if he wore a Rolex Submariner, but it's unlikely since Omega seems to have a lock on it. I hope it's a new watch (probably the new Master Co-Axial 300 or it's going to be something brand new announced at the upcoming Basel 2015 watch fair). I personally have a Planet Ocean (which he's worn in CR, QoS & SF) but despite this, I'd prefer if it was something new

I also like Bond in a bit of casual gear from time to time, but I prefer more the casual Connery TB look (dark polo shirts and slacks). That's why I really liked Craig's return to that look in CR in Jamaica, and in QoS in the early Haiti sequence. He looked good but casual in those outfits, while still remaining suitably conservative. I did not mind the preppie sweater look in China in SF (photo above) either.
    Sark wrote: »
    I didn't hear any negative reaction, but then again I wasn't looking for it. Perhaps @doghouse could share some links to this negative reaction?

It's generally all over the internet, if you Google "Skyfall suits too small", Google will autofill it when you get to "Skyfall suits". There's tons there.

But I am not referencing that, I am talking about people in tailoring I talk to.

Only about 10% of what shows up on the internet is remotely valid, so I don't really put much weight in it.

If you want the one guy on the internet I do put a lot of weight on for Bond critique, it's Matt Spaiser.

thesuitsofjamesbond.com/category/the-films/skyfall/
    The suit still doesn’t fit as well as the suits in Quantum of Solace fit, but it shows how a fashionable “slim-fit” suit doesn’t necessarily have to fit so poorly like the suits Skyfall do.
    bondjames wrote: »

RE: The watch: I would prefer if he wore a Rolex Submariner, but it's unlikely since Omega seems to have a lock on it. I hope it's a new watch (probably the new Master Co-Axial 300 or it's going to be something brand new announced at the upcoming Basel 2015 watch fair). I personally have a Planet Ocean (which he's worn in CR, QoS & SF) but despite this, I'd prefer if it was something new

I quite agree re:the Rolex. I'm probably more of a Omega fan. Well, definitely more of a Omega fans as I'm not into Rolex at all, but Rolex should be Bonds watch.

Supposedly it will be a new Seamaster model in SPECTRE, though it could be an Aqua Terra. People have been sifting through photos trying to pin it down.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 4,619
    Sark wrote: »

Me too, although even if @doghouse provided a dozen of links with individual negative reactions, that still wouldn't prove that the reaction "was negative throughout the industry". I can only LOL at him writing "I know who I have talked to in the tailoring industry and I know their opinion". Yeah, maybe you did talk to a dozen people in the tailoring industry, and maybe all of them had negative reactions to the suits of Skyfall. How does that prove that the reaction "was negative throughout the industry"?

Even if @doghouse is a professional tailor with dozens of years of experience, that still doesn't change the fact that his statement about the industry's reaction to the suits of Skyfall is simply false. Again, it's a fact that the Costume Designers Guild thought that Skyfall had the best contemporary costume design in 2012. Does this prove that the suits of Skyfall are great and fit Daniel perfectly? Not necessarily. Does this prove that the reaction to the suits was NOT negative throughout the industry? Of course it does!

Look, I don't even care that much about Bond's clothes. The only reason I have written these posts is that I hate BS.
    The only reason I have written these posts is that I hate BS.

Says the person that definitely states he thinks Sam Mendes regrets doing SPECTRE.
    I'm pretty sure Sam Mendes regrets signing up for a second Bond film

The only reason I have written these posts is that I hate BS.

Says the person that definitely states he thinks Sam Mendes regrets doing SPECTRE.
    I'm pretty sure Sam Mendes regrets signing up for a second Bond film

I wrote that because I have read the e-mails Sam Mendes sent to Amy Pascal back in June, July and August 2014. Also, it's pretty funny that you had to bring that up. And a bit desperate. Why not just admit that you were wrong about the "industry's reaction" to the suits of Skyfall?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I heard that Sony wants to feature the next Sony Xperia phone in the film.
    Again, just stop. You are making wildly hyperbolic and declarative statements. You don't seem to be able to participate in normal discourse, so why are you even in this thread if you don't really care about clothes?

Some of us do, and yes, know what we are talking about, and would like to have a conversation about it.

• doghouse wrote: »
    I really hope that Everest reprises his role as Fiennes tailor, had some beautiful pieces in Skyfall.

@doghouse is correct. Those awful Tom Ford suits should be abandoned and 007 sent to 'The Row' for a fitting.
    IVNSHO (in Villieurs53's not so humble opinion) Craig, when suited, succeeded in looking like Pee-Wee Herman in SF. His pants look fit to split at any moment and those ill cut jackets would have been more appropriate adorning an estate agent.
    Fiennes on the other hand looked splendid and going forward I'm quite sure that the new 'M' will want 007 to be correctly dressed and will dispatch him to Saville Row without further ado.
    The question is to which tailor? They all have quite different house styles but considering Craig's stocky, muscular physique, Villieurs53 wouldn't hesitate to recommend the fabulous Anderson & Sheppard.
    Over the years, A&S have catered to the rich and famous but more importantly to gentleman of great distinction and style. Fred Astaire was a stalwart and Bryan Ferry is a regular.
    Their single breasted would be perfect for Craig, the way the jacket drapes gives a good height impression, is slimming whilst giving him great freedom of movement. In terms of detail they should be classic, two button, twin vented with two exterior straight flapped pockets.
    His trousers should be either flat fronted or single pleated, have 15" bottoms, no cuffs and side fasteners (no belt loops) and his suit cloths should be 15mil or lighter.
    Shirts could be from either Turnbull & Asser or Emma Willis and should feature a medium spread collar and single cuffs (double cuffs and links get in the way during fights) his shoes should be bespoke by John Lobb with re-enforced steel toe caps.
    His ties should only be knitted silk from Charvet.
    With regard to his overcoat, Villieurs53 thinks Bond should favour a dark pea coat in cashmere for versatility and as a nod to 007's naval background.
    In terms of his casual wardrobe, Belstaff and Barbour should continue to be a good source of field jackets with Sunspel providing the best polo shirts. Trousers should be either chinos from Dunhill or cords from A&S depending on the climate. Jeans should be kept to a minimum but were appropriate Duhill will suffice.
    Sweaters should come uniquely from A&S haberdashery. They have a great choice and Audie Charles will see him right.
    Accessories should be kept to an absolute minimum. Bond is a spy not a dandy and he should ditch that crass, ostentatious Omega watch in favour of a plain stainless steel Rolex Oyster Perpetual. Sunglasses are only acceptable when driving, skiing or in hot climates and should be from Persol.
    Villieurs53 thinks this covers everything — any questions?
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited January 2015 Posts: 12,459
    So good to see this thread. Because we will incessantly discuss Bond's hair and clothes. As we should. :)

If you do not care to have fun discussing wardrobe and hair, then please refrain from coming here and just trying to have those of us who want to discuss it "prove" our thoughts or opinions or interpretations, etc. This should be a fun thread if not damped down/squelched by others. You can debate without being too heavyhanded about this sort of thing.

Suits - yes, the general consensus that I have found (internet and among friends, colleagues) is that the suits in Skyfall were just too tight. Perhaps the costume designer (whose name I cannot spell easily) was doing that to fit the angst/restraint/metamorphosis that Bond was going to go through in that particular film. Like not fitting into his job anymore, etc. But it did not look good, in my opinion, several times. The suits seemed too tight, with creasing, etc. Again, perhaps that was done with a purpose.

I believe Tom Ford worked closely with the costume designer; I do not blame him 100% for the tightness of Bond's suits in Skyfall.

I expect Bond's suits to be more elegantly fitting, not too tight, for SPECTRE.

His hair was near military cut in Skyfall, which probably was suitable for that story. But I definitely want somewhat longer hair for SPECTRE, and I do think we will see that. :)

I like Omega watches, so I am fine with them being on board.

And yes, @doghouse, I really enjoy this website: http://thesuitsofjamesbond.com/category/the-films/skyfall/
    It is full of detailed info and great photos. :)
    You are making wildly hyperbolic and declarative statements.

Says the guy who wrote that the reaction to Bond's suits was "negative throughout the industry"... LOL. Anyway, I have proven you wrong and since you are incapable of admitting that you were wrong, further discussion of this matter with you seems like a waste of time.

Villiers53 wrote: »

@doghouse is correct. Those awful Tom Ford suits should be abandoned and 007 sent to 'The Row' for a fitting.
    IVNSHO (in Villieurs53's not so humble opinion) Craig, when suited, succeeded in looking like Pee-Wee Herman in SF. His pants look fit to split at any moment and those ill cut jackets would have been more appropriate adorning an estate agent.
    Fiennes on the other hand looked splendid and going forward I'm quite sure that the new 'M' will want 007 to be correctly dressed and will dispatch him to Saville Row without further ado.
    The question is to which tailor? They all have quite different house styles but considering Craig's stocky, muscular physique, Villieurs53 wouldn't hesitate to recommend the fabulous Anderson & Sheppard.
    Over the years, A&S have catered to the rich and famous but more importantly to gentleman of great distinction and style. Fred Astaire was a stalwart and Bryan Ferry is a regular.
    Their single breasted would be perfect for Craig, the way the jacket drapes gives a good height impression, is slimming whilst giving him great freedom of movement. In terms of detail they should be classic, two button, twin vented with two exterior straight flapped pockets.
    His trousers should be either flat fronted or single pleated, have 15" bottoms, no cuffs and side fasteners (no belt loops) and his suit cloths should be 15mil or lighter.
    Shirts could be from either Turnbull & Asser or Emma Willis and should feature a medium spread collar and single cuffs (double cuffs and links get in the way during fights) his shoes should be bespoke by John Lobb with re-enforced steel toe caps.
    His ties should only be knitted silk from Charvet.
    With regard to his overcoat, Villieurs53 thinks Bond should favour a dark pea coat in cashmere for versatility and as a nod to 007's naval background.
    In terms of his casual wardrobe, Belstaff and Barbour should continue to be a good source of field jackets with Sunspel providing the best polo shirts. Trousers should be either chinos from Dunhill or cords from A&S depending on the climate. Jeans should be kept to a minimum but were appropriate Duhill will suffice.
    Sweaters should come uniquely from A&S haberdashery. They have a great choice and Audie Charles will see him right.
    Accessories should be kept to an absolute minimum. Bond is a spy not a dandy and he should ditch that crass, ostentatious Omega watch in favour of a plain stainless steel Rolex Oyster Perpetual. Sunglasses are only acceptable when driving, skiing or in hot climates and should be from Persol.
    Villieurs53 thinks this covers everything — any questions?

Quite specific vision I dare say.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    You are making wildly hyperbolic and declarative statements.

Says the guy who wrote that the reaction to Bond's suits was "negative throughout the industry"... LOL. Anyway, I have proven you wrong and since you are incapable of admitting that you were wrong, further discussion of this matter with you seems like a waste of time.
    If you guys keep arguing you won't be welcome on my thread.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 4,813
    bondjames wrote: »
    Personally I did find his suits ill-fitting in SF. That must have been the look they were going for (I can't imagine on this expensive a production they would not have realized how their main star came across). I'm not sure why and what constituency, if any, they were appealing to with that tight look. I just happen not to like it.

I think he looked absolutely fantastic at the end of CR, in the 3-piece suit when confronting White. Now that was JAMES BOND, blaring Norman theme and all.... I also liked the way the tux that Vesper got him in CR fit as well. His QoS suits fit reasonably well too, if a little loose IMO. I still think CR's finale suit was the best.

You know, now that you mention it I agree his suits were a little too snuggly in Skyfall. I don't need to know Bond's religion by looking at his pants, lol.
    Plus a good suit ought to still fit if you gain a single pound!

I actually bought a 'QOS' suit from magnoliclothiers.com back in 2008 and selected the option to have it 'fitted' since that seemed to be the style. I haven't even gotten fat or anything, but since my waist is a single freaking inch bigger 7 years later the suit doesn't fit me very well now and it's collecting dust in the back of my closet.
    lol To be fair though, even back in 2008 my dad took one look at me in the suit and joked 'Those pants look like a cheap hotel.... no ballroom!' :D

Casino Royale had the best look indeed!
    I'm fairly curious as to if they will work fragrance back in. It seems an ample marketing opportunity, and a chance to connect with Fleming if they go with Floris instead of just 007 branded TF scents.

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    You can probably have it altered (by a good tailor) to fit you better now, @Master_Dahark. And one inch in 7 years is not bad at all. :)
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    RE: the omega watch. Bond on film will never where a Rolex again at least for the foreseeable future. Omega has that gig locked down and their partnership with EON is growing from strength to strength. I myself have the SF AT8500; it's such a beautiful watch and it's a shame it didn't get the aggressive marketing push as THE Bond watch during SF's promotional campaign. Craig looks excellent with the AT and as an added benefit it shuts up all those wine bag snobs who keep moaning about how uncouth it is to wear a divers watch with any formal suit; especially a dinner suit! I mean really? Wow. That being said, I hope Bond sticks to wearing just one watch, although the 2 watches in SF can be explained as Bond selling his PO and using the cash from that to live off in Turkey and get a flight back to London BUT I'd like for Bond to stick with either the AT line or the new master coaxial 300. Both models are great pieces and very Bond.