"Dont blow it all at once ": Die Another Day Appreciation Thread

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2014 Posts: 23,883
    Good, I was worried;) I'm trying to behave, I got a lifetime ban from another site because I got too mouthy and opinionated ;)

I never understood this approach. No one should be banned for expressing their opinion, unless they are rude. It is the people who can't deal with that opinion who should be banned IMHO.
    I got an early warning here, disagreeing with a few Moore supporters, which befuddled me, since I was expressing opinion not insulting anyone, but I seem to be able to state that Moore is a soft, silly and un-tough Bond in a polite way these days and get away with it :)
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Lol, I'd better try that tact myself;)
    This story dies a quick death after the Cuba sequence. What where they thinking about that lousy backwards dive into the water? That was just HORRIBLE!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    DAD has Brosnan, just like Superman III has Reeve; that's enough for me.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 11,425
    And Jaws IV has... Jaws.
    Getafix wrote: »
    And Jaws IV has... Jaws.
    Jaws is a fictional character played by a mechanical doll. You silly.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    And Jaws IV has... Jaws.
    Jaws is a fictional character played by a mechanical doll. You silly.

So was Bond from 95-02. ;)

Well I need a good story in addition to a good Bond. For example, I don't like Moore, that seems obvious, but FYEO is a good enough of a story, and to me a good story trumps all.

Well I need a good story in addition to a good Bond. For example, I don't like Moore, that seems obvious, but FYEO is a good enough of a story, and to me a good story trumps all.

So there is a Moore Bond movie you actually like?!
    FYEO is the one I can watch, sans the silly hockey stuff. Just eliminate silly from a Bond film and I'm happy. That's why I tolerate the Broz films better than the Moore films, at least they try to take themselves slightly more seriously, if not poorly planned. IN TWINE, how does anybody think that someone can just park their boat just outside of MI6 AND FIRE RANDOMLY into the building after it's been bombed and not have a better escape plan?
    That's why I tolerate the Broz films better than the Moore films, at least they try to take themselves slightly more seriously?
    Suddenly I like you.

That's why I tolerate the Broz films better than the Moore films, at least they try to take themselves slightly more seriously?

I have an opposite reaction entirely. It would have been more appropriate not to take DAD so seriously I think, as it was completely implausible to do so.
    They are trying to make a more seriously-toned film in the bros films. The Moore films are out-and-outparodies.

Goldeneye flat-out embarrasses anything from the Moore era. Period. In my opinion.
    They are trying to make a more seriously-toned film in the bros films. The Moore films are out-and-outparodies.

Goldeneye flat-out embarrasses anything from the Moore era. Period. In my opinion.

I have to disagree wtih you on this one. I don't think DAD is serious at all. Toby Stephens all but ensured this with his laughable performance and don't let me get started on the Oscar (I'm restraining myself) winner or the plot.

GE is an excellent film no doubt, certainly in my top 10. However, IMO, TSWLM is superior.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 1,146
    lol, I honestly forgot about DAD. I still think the first…45 minutes or so put it over the top of SWLM, a movie that features some really, really silly gags. I think the last hour of DAD is just diabolical, not gonna defend it, but prefer it to TSWLM, though not exactly comparing casablanca and citizen kane here.

Jaws drops the egyptian brick on his shoe?
    Bond holds a fish out of the Lotus even though there's no way it could have gotten in?

There's cool stuff in TSWLM, but it gets undercut by clouseau-esque humor every time.

Eeesh.
    edited January 2015 Posts: 23,883
    You're right about the silly bits in TSWLM. When I watch it now some parts just shouldn't have been put it in and the movie would have been so much better for it. I didn't notice it so much when I was a kid but now the silly humour does grate. However, as a whole that film is utterly iconic even to this day. Truly a masterpiece, given when it was made, and Moore was pretty darn great in that if you ask me.

Even GE had some ridiculous bits if you think about it (tank chase, thigh crusher etc.). However, as I said, I think very highly of GE.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @doubleohdad

I certainly agree with you. With the exception of the score - Barry's scores kill Serra's - I think GE tops the Moore films and IMO even half of the Connery films. But then I really love GE.

Now this I disagree with. Hamilton wanted to have some fun. I may not be laughing all the time but he meant well. Gilbert was some kind of a 70s Michael Bay for the Bonds: loud and spectacular films, focusing more on the execution than on the concept itself. But at least his films had heart. Glenn is were Bond fans usually go separate ways. I'm a fan myself - I shall always speak highly of FYEO and OP. AVTAK, however, is in my bottom three. But Roger is hardly the big problem for me. In fact, I think Moore makes some magic happen on screen whereas the script certainly seems to quit trying after the first second. ;-)

I already mentioned how fond I am of GE. But that's where it ends. I think TND is a better film than 5 of the Moore films but it doesn't top FYEO or OP IMO. And in a guilty pleasure kind of way, I even prefer MR to TND. Then there's TWINE. Very well, I might as well admit that only TMWTGG and AVTAK rank lower for me. As for DAD... I can say this, it's not worse than TWINE IMO but that's the most praise I can honestly give it.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 1,146
    Guy Hamilton wanted to have fun alright, and his films show that, and even though I respect and appreciate his contributions to GF, his tone-setting simply ruined the 70's films, in my opinion. He made four Bond films, and GF was any good.

The BRoz films attempted a more serious tone, slightly, and while it turned out that only one of them would be considered a success in GE, the Moore films were simply and absolutely cartoons. Anything cool in the Moore films was usually undercut with humor, and that sense of 'fun' that Hamilton tried to weave into the Bond films of the 70's quickly dissolved into camp, parody, and self-awared comedy.
    In my opinion.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I fail to see how FYEO is camp, parody, comedy apart from the PTS of course. :-)
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I fail to see how FYEO is camp, parody, comedy apart from the PTS of course. :-)

FYEO is the best of the Moore bunch, but that hockey sequence does no one any favors. The sad thing is that they followed that up with OP and AVTAK. I'd have rebooted after FYEO.
    edited January 2015 Posts: 23,883
    DarthDimi wrote: »

FYEO is the best of the Moore bunch, but that hockey sequence does no one any favors. The sad thing is that they followed that up with OP and AVTAK. I'd have rebooted after FYEO.

FYEO was not meant for Moore if I'm not mistaken. It was meant as a soft reboot with another actor as initially Moore was supposed to leave after MR. He stayed, and then they decided to go back to what worked best for him when they did OP, as it was going up against NSNA that likely was going to be more serious with the return of the great Connery.
    I always thought NSNA though far from perfect, embarrassed OP.
    I always thought NSNA though far from perfect, embarrassed OP.
    OP was the better overall film, however, Connery was the better Bond.
    Yeah...I completely don't agree with that.
  • OP is a far better film and I think Moore is better in OP than Connery is in NSNA (as I've mentioned several times I think OP is perhaps his best performance, although he never delivered a poor one in my book).
    Any picture that depicts Bond as both a clown and a gorilla, as well as having him yell 'sit!" at a wild tiger is in no way shape or form better than the solid if unspectacular NSNA. Watch Connery fight the big thug at Shrublands, then watch Moore flop about on the roof on the train set again, and then come back and state that somehow a Bond film like OP, which is rated in the 40 percentile on Rotten Tomatoes even belongs in the company of NSNA.

• edited January 2015 Posts: 1,778
    Any picture that depicts Bond as both a clown and a gorilla, as well as having him yell 'sit!" at a wild tiger is in no way shape or form better than the solid if unspectacular NSNA. Watch Connery fight the big thug at Shrublands, then watch Moore flop about on the roof on the train set again, and then come back and state that somehow a Bond film like OP, which is rated in the 40 percentile on Rotten Tomatoes even belongs in the company of NSNA.

That same intense fight that ends with Bond vanquishing his foe with bottle of his own urine (I really wish I just made that up)? Atleast Moore dressing up as a clown and gorilla made sense within the context of the story as they acted as suitable disguises.

If you use Rotten Tomatoes as a bible for judging movies you'll be missing out on alot of great stuff. Alot of those reviews came from 1983 from love-sick critics like Gene Siskel who couldn't get Connery out of their minds. Like a scorned girl who can't stop thinking about her ex-boyfriend and move on with her life. There are plenty of old-timers who consider Connery and only Connery to be Bond. I pity them.
    I'm an old timer, and Daniel Craig further embarrasses Moore, Broz and to an extent Dalton as the Soft Bonds.

Again, not stating that NSNA is perfect, but comparatively they toppled OP easily in terms of trying to make an adventure/spy film, whereas the Moore OP was an example of self parody. No clown suits, no gorilla suits, no giant spinning yo-yos (!) and no sitting of wild tigers. Good grief that was god-awful.

Rotten tomatoes simply compiles critics ratings, and the only Moore film that even gets a passing grade is FYEO, which barely makes it at 73%.

There's cooler fights and a better story in NSNA, with no self-parody. They wanted to make an old-school Bond film with dignity, not continue to embarrass the franchise.

Giant. Yo. Yo.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 11,189
    OP trumps NSNA hands down IMO.

You may not like the goofy elements of OP (a lot of people don't) BUT Lois Jourdan as Kamahl Kahn is surely one of the films highlights.

I remember I flat out hated NSNA when I first saw it. Poorly produced and slow.