SPECTRE -Tributes to Bygone films

SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
in SPECTRE Posts: 2,138
As with all Dan's Bond movies so far there are always little "nods" to past Bond films. What subtle tributes would you like to see in SPECTRE?

Comments

• RC7RC7
    As with all Dan's Bond movies so far there are always little "nods" to past Bond films. What subtle tributes would you like to see in SPECTRE?

None if I'm being honest. Some are fine, short and sweet, while some are totally useless, but all are redundant and serve no purpose. I've never understood the idea of being deliberately self-referential. Get on with writing a good screenplay and if it subconsciously channels a previous film then so be it.

• SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Well best guess we will see a ski scene. Which will bring back memories. I think the subtle elements work well.
    I don't think their needs to be any winks or nods, I mean the film is called Spectre!
    edited December 2014 Posts: 2,138
    So you wouldnt like for example Dan in a submarine in Naval commander uniform? my wifes dream lol!.
    So you wouldnt like for example Dan in a submarine in Naval commander uniform? my wifes dream lol!.

My Mrs too probably? :)) But I am not sure a Naval Uniform is a nod to the Spectre organisation?
    Maybe one for Bond 25. Dan would rock the uniform Naval trench coat and flat hat.

I think Lewis Gilbert got off on the Royal Navy uniforms. We see them in his films (YOLT, TSWLM). There was no logical reason to put Bond in his RN outfit in SPY but there it was.

As for the references / homage to previous films...I say no. NO. Nyet. Nein. Non. NFW
    :(
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Yes, Please No more Homages, to past films !
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    If they do Homage past movies just keep it to the Craig Films. None of the pre reboot films.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    50th Anniversary nods were nice and subtle. No more now, keep setting the new trend. Feel free to use the Bond formula, but do not give nods to specific moments from previous films.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    I don't know if I'd call the DB5 with its Goldfinger mods "nice and subtle". But I do agree that we don't need any references to previous films. Things as generic as skiing or wearing his naval uniform (he's a naval officer after all!) don't count. I mean things like "here's your new watch, I think it's your 20th" or "let me look through all these mementos for no particular reason."
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Sark wrote: »
    I don't know if I'd call the DB5 with its Goldfinger mods "nice and subtle". But I do agree that we don't need any references to previous films. Things as generic as skiing or wearing his naval uniform (he's a naval officer after all!) don't count. I mean things like "here's your new watch, I think it's your 20th" or "let me look through all these mementos for no particular reason."

The DB5 in SF was the least 'subtle' nod in cinema history, and it got docked major points for me because of this.

Having Craig wear a uniform would simply be a nice reminder that Bond is an officer of the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve, nothing more.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    I guess in don't consider that a nod because the DB5 is a staple of the franchise. Like I don't consider him wearing a tux with a shawl lapel as a nod. I do think the ejector seat quip is a nod though.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    AceHole wrote: »
    Sark wrote: »

The DB5 in SF was the least 'subtle' nod in cinema history, and it got docked major points for me because of this.

Having Craig wear a uniform would simply be a nice reminder that Bond is an officer of the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve, nothing more.

Agree completely. Someone needs to tell Mendes & Craig: ENOUGH WITH THE BLEEPING DB5!
  • RC7RC7
    I guess in don't consider that a nod because the DB5 is a staple of the franchise. Like I don't consider him wearing a tux with a shawl lapel as a nod. I do think the ejector seat quip is a nod though.

It's in no way comparable to the tux and in no way staple.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited December 2014 Posts: 1,727
    RC7 wrote: »

Tossing in (and yes that is the correct term) the DB5 and the ejector seat 'quip' was the laziest, most dulled down & 'appeal to the lowest common denominator moviegoer' move in the history of James Bond films.

Mendes has a lot of making up to do in my eyes.
  • RC7RC7
    AceHole wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »

Tossing in (and yes that is the correct term) the DB5 and the ejector seat 'quip' was the laziest, most dulled down & 'appeal to the lowest common denominator moviegoer' move in the history of James Bond films.

Mendes has a lot of making up to do in my eyes.

Ditto. It really, really pissed me off.
  • Spectre is, in a VERY VERY loose sense, a sequel to Skyfall (at least there are certain background plot bits that are referenced: Judy Dench's M, the shake-up of MI6 etc), and bits of the other Craig films are referenced too.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited December 2014 Posts: 4,416
    It is the Anniversary of AVTAK and Goldeneye too besides TB. Thunderball there is be enough and Goldeneye already get enough reference in Skyfall.

The best tribute of AVTAK wil be is that P&W also get inspiration by that movie/Zorin for water plot. But should not be to dificult as QOS doing a litle bit. But with Jeffrey Wright and Olga not yet to return, wil possible something for Bond 25.