Return of SPECTRE - One time only, extended saga, or recurring?

2»

Comments

• There's just no way the return of Spectre will be a one-off. They'll, at the very least, be included in Bond 25. Especially with the rumors of SP and Bond 25 being an interconnected story. They could possibly introduce Blofeld in SP and than have him be the main villain of Bond 25.

However this leads to a more interesting question. What happens after Bond 25 (presumably Craig's last film)? Will they go the traditional route and cast a new actor and pretend nothing ever happened? Or will they reboot again? It'll be difficult to go the traditional route with Craig seeing as how no other Bond actor had covered the same ground Craig has. We've seen him as both an inexperienced 007 and as a seasoned vet. Even though I'm sure this wasn't the producer's original intention, we could very well,for the first time, see an actor play out the entirety of Bond's career. Going from a fresh faced rookie in CR to burnt-out aging 007 in Bond 25. Just food for thought.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2014 Posts: 23,883
    HASEROT wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    Please cast the same actor and keep him the same man. I'm sure that's what's planned and I think Blofeld was not on stage today. It is not Waltz folks. Either someone new for B25, or it's an un-named cast member a'la MD in Interstellar.

@bondjames

Mark Strong?

images_zps5af56615.jpeg

Possible @haserot, and I for one, would be all for it.

The more I think about it, I'm convinced it's not Waltz. I'm not sure how EON will play this, but I agree with what @Gustav_Graves has been saying, in the sense that this will be a slow reveal.... I think we may get a snippet of him at the end of SPECTRE, but the true reveal will be in B25. I think SPECTRE is going to be more about understanding the power and reach of this organization and the true scale of its ambitions. B25 will finalize and wrap this story up (so yes, I think we do in fact have a 2 story arc,....they're just being coy about it because they want to give Mendes the option to leave if he chooses, but if SPECTRE is a critical and commercial success, I guarantee you he will be back).

They've gone out of their way to name the movie SPECTRE, so they have big plans for the organization and its leader in future movies. It makes sense when you think about it. Western governments have been battling Al Qaeda for years, and now ISIL (to some extent, an offshoot of Al Qaeda) so I think this is perfect fodder for a British secret agent.

Mark Strong would be fine with me. He has the necessary gravitas and can be suitably menacing. I have one requirement: that he's played by a British or European actor. As I've said before, give me any one of the guys in the Jaguar commercial, typecast cliche or not....
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited December 2014 Posts: 1,257
    I was thinking that if it turns out that Waltz doesn't actually play Blofeld, then they may need an actor with even more clout than him to actually take on the role. Nothing against Mark Strong, I love him as an actor, but it would almost be underwhelming to see him revealed as Blofeld after we were suspecting Waltz all along.

But if we got a reveal of Blofeld spinning around in his chair and it turns out to be Anthony Hopkins (just an example from the top of my head), that certainly would not be underwhelming!
  • Murdock wrote: »
    Glenn wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    Glenn wrote: »
    It opens the door for a re-introduction of some familiar foes from the past including Blofeld. We all have to forget the old movies, this Bond hasn't met Dr.No, Goldfinger, Largo or Blofeld.....yet!
    Please no...I don't want to see anymore Bond villains reintroduced. They were great in their time, why risk soiling their good names?

I think with the return of SPECTRE this is exactly what we will see, casting is the key with Blofeld, they must get that right and they need to sign the actor who plays him to a multi film deal. He needs to be re-invented and producers will be careful not to make him bald, with a scar and i doubt we will see the cat apart from a humorous nod to the past. The new Blofeld needs to be almost Putin like IMO. Waltz is a very talented actor, who knows if he is even playing Blofeld? He might be like the Emilio Largo character? Whatever their plans for the role and they must have them, Blofeld must be every inch the super villain, not some parody. The Connery era definitely suffered because of Blofeld casting inconsistencies. As for other villains, will we ever see Dr No or Goldfinger again in the future? Producers are not going to miss that opportunity.

Why would they go back and fix what wasn't broken? Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger and Thunderball were classics. Great films that had little to no flaws. Why remake something that was already good?

I am absolutely with you on that one, but judging from the lack of creativity B&W have shown so far I certainly wouldn't put it past them.
  • I think in the future, given his known use of plastic surgery to alter his appearance, as well as the series' habit and history of putting a different actor in the role every time anyway, Blofeld should return in the next sequel...

...as a woman. That's right, Ernst Stavro Blofeld has sex reassignment surgery. A sex change operation. Becomes Eva Stavira Blofeld. Won't look as foolish stroking a cat. She can still be bald.

This is a great idea! What do you think?

Either you are too drunk or you haven't drunk enough!
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I think in the future, given his known use of plastic surgery to alter his appearance, as well as the series' habit and history of putting a different actor in the role every time anyway, Blofeld should return in the next sequel...

...as a woman. That's right, Ernst Stavro Blofeld has sex reassignment surgery. A sex change operation. Becomes Eva Stavira Blofeld. Won't look as foolish stroking a cat. She can still be bald.

This is a great idea! What do you think?

Blofeld has never appeared in this Bond timeline. He/she can be whatever the writers want him/her to be.
  • Campbell2Campbell2 Epsilon Rho Rho house, Bending State University
    I think we'll see more of Spectre, wouldn't make much sense to bring them back with a bang and then end them right in the same flick that's even got its title from them. I could see them as Bond's enemy for any number of films, even after Craig is through.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2014 Posts: 15,686
    I was thinking that if it turns out that Waltz doesn't actually play Blofeld, then they may need an actor with even more clout than him to actually take on the role. Nothing against Mark Strong, I love him as an actor, but it would almost be underwhelming to see him revealed as Blofeld after we were suspecting Waltz all along.

But if we got a reveal of Blofeld spinning around in his chair and it turns out to be Anthony Hopkins (just an example from the top of my head), that certainly would not be underwhelming!

I can see Daniel Day Lewis too! He would be one heck of an addition to the Bond franchise! But yeah, Hopkins would be a dream come true. :)

As for Spectre, yeah I think they'll be recurring. And I am pretty sure Spectre will continue for the next Bond's tenure. I mean, I don't know how many outings Craig has left in him, but I don't want EON to rush the conclusion of this organization. There's a goldmine of stuff they can do, so I can see Spectre in the next several movies. And they can always do one-off movies with a new villain (I totally disagree on rebooting Dr No or Goldfinger characters), and find need ways to tie them up to Spectre as well.

We have the Marvel universe, the DC universe is shaping up.. will this SPECTRE come back mean we'll have the 'Bond universe'? I would be so pumped up by that!
    HASEROT wrote: »
    @Murdock

i am not sorry for my opinion - i am sorry about the ridiculous notion of bringing back one off villains like Largo, Dr. No, Goldfinger and etc... the only one that ever made sense of rebooting was Blofeld - because he isn't tied to any one film or story.. but those other guys only appear once and are out, no need to recycle the name and character just for the sake of doing so.

I actually agree. The only one I could picture coming back is... Gallia. Because he was never named Gallia in the movie and was very different in the novel. They could adapt the character in a different setting, ditch the Mr Big nickname, etc.

Then there's the Spangs, general G, etc.
  • CJB007FRCJB007FR Paris, France
    This occured my mind... It seems too obvious to everyone that Walzt could be Blofeld that I expect Mendes, the producer and the writers to be smartet than that.... What a good twist if Bellucci was Blofled... After all, Blofeld's daughter was the head of Spectre in Gardner's book For special services.... Anyone is buying my idea ?
    I agree it's not Waltz. I don't think it's anyone who was on that stage yesterday. I believe they've already locked down their Blofeld, who will either be a surprise reveal at the end of SPECTRE or will be a reveal in B25. It would be interesting to see candidate's schedules leading out to 2017.
    They dont even need to have their man yet. They could give said sign at the end without showing a face.
    edited December 2014 Posts: 23,883
    True. It's likely he won't be revealed this time.

Waltz is going to have an epic acting role (he wouldn't have taken this role if that were not the case) but I think a lot of folks are going the wrong way thinking he's Blofeld. Bellucci's character probably works for Blofeld who will be revealed in B25..

This movie is all about SPECTRE. Blofeld comes later IMO.
    Germanlady wrote: »
    They dont even need to have their man yet. They could give said sign at the end without showing a face.

That could be the case too.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Kerim wrote: »
    Definitely going somewhere with this. Will be fascinating to see where this ride takes us. Although I do have the feeling they're going the Star Wars route with this.

If you think about it, Connery and Craig have paralleled each other so far.

DN - CR : Introduction of Bond
    FRWL - QOS: Introduction to a criminal organization
    GF - SF: Took a break from that criminal organization
    TB - SPEC: We'll see

B25-Blofeld shows his face (Hugo Weaving), and Bond diguises his ethnicity. Perhaps he tries to be black.
    B26-Michael Fassbender is Bond and offered a 16 films deal, but thinks Bond is a thing on the decline after 55 years and goes on to Bollywood.
    B27-Fat Craig with sideburns returns as Bond one last time and donates his fee of a billion dollars to Liverpool FC.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 7,500
    Blofeld could be a reccuring charac
    I agree it's not Waltz. I don't think it's anyone who was on that stage yesterday. I believe they've already locked down their Blofeld, who will either be a surprise reveal at the end of SPECTRE.

I had the same idea, but som thought made it seem unrealistic. How will they make that work? When they cast Blofeld, they will want a big name for sure. And in these days there's no way they willl be able to bring a big star on the set unseen to shoot one or a few scenes no matter how short. Media will be all over it, and the surprise factor will be so completely ruined that I doubt they'd see any point in even trying...

I think a big Blofeld reveal in B25 is more likely. If its not indeed one of the actors already announced. As some have pointed out, Waltz seems to obvious to be likely, but who knows...
    Michael G Wilson is Blofeld.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 7,500

Now that is a good idea! :D :))

Im sure there will be a fair deal of crazy rumours like that before release...
    jobo wrote: »
    I agree it's not Waltz. I don't think it's anyone who was on that stage yesterday. I believe they've already locked down their Blofeld, who will either be a surprise reveal at the end of SPECTRE.

I had the same idea, but som thought made it seem unrealistic. How will they make that work? When they cast Blofeld, they will want a big name for sure. And in these days there's no way they willl be able to bring a big star on the set unseen to shoot one or a few scenes no matter how short. Media will be all over it, and the surprise factor will be so completely ruined that I doubt they'd see any point in even trying...

I think a big Blofeld reveal in B25 is more likely. If its not indeed one of the actors already announced. As some have pointed out, Waltz seems to obvious to be likely, but who knows...

It's still possible to hide a big name. If you watch Interstellar you'll see what I mean. Given Mendes' appreciation of Nolan's work, I thought he might choose to do the same. However Bond 25 is more likely. I think SPECTRE and B25 will be connected, despite what they are saying now, and I think Mendes is back for B25. Craig, who has a lot of creative control, will insist on it. Babs standing next to him yesterday was telling. Newman's return is also telling. Mendes has a big say with EON now.

It's still possible to hide a big name. If you watch Interstellar you'll see what I mean. Given Mendes' appreciation of Nolan's work, I thought he might choose to do the same. However Bond 25 is more likely. I think SPECTRE and B25 will be connected, despite what they are saying now, and I think Mendes is back for B25. Craig, who has a lot of creative control, will insist on it. Babs standing next to him yesterday was telling. Newman's return is also telling. Mendes has a big say with EON now.

I hope you're right (about Mendes).

I miss the days when one skilled and famliar director was attached to the franchise for more than one film. (I wasn't alive 'back then' but you know what I mean... ;) )
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

I think it's too early to know for sure if Mendes will agree to return for Bond 25 but you're definitely right that he has a big say with EoN now. He made them over a billion dollars, made SF the highest grossing British film of ALL time and then there's the ever impressive growing talent of actors and crew joining. Bond has ALWAYS been big but Mendes by way of Martin Campbell (who the series does owe a lot to) has taken Bond to new heights.

• TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed

Actually it's the Russian in the toilet. You thought he was just there for a number two, but he is in fact Number One!

Surprised you hadn't figured that out, dear boy, given your fondness for that character.

Tokoloshe wrote: »

Actually it's the Russian in the toilet. You thought he was just there for a number two, but he is in fact Number One!

Surprised you hadn't figured that out, dear boy, given your fondness for that character.

Hmmm, so that is where his gripe with Bond stems from. Who would feel otherwise?