Last Video Game You Played?

Comments

• edited November 2014 Posts: 12,243
    I'm actually more of a 3D Sonic fan. I find the series fun from Sonic Adventure onward.

My favorite modern ones are Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations - both extremely fun games. My Top 4 right now would be (chronologically) Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic Colors, and Sonic Generations. Still have to play through more though; it's pretty much my favorite non-Nintendo series. Despite being a big Bond fan, I've never enjoyed shooter games a whole lot typically.

EDIT: Just finished 3 for the first time; had started it a while back, but never got around to completing it until now. I know it's not the popular opinion, but honestly I think I rank the original trilogy as 1 > 2 > 3. Most people I've seen prefer 2 and/or 3, but I just love the original, and I found the zones in 3 to be the weakest (particularly the last area). Still, all three very enjoyable games.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The Last Of Us: GOTY

After having heard so much about this game, and being such a big fan of Naughty Dog's Uncharted series, I I picked up a copy. I was not expecting the opening to be that emotional, I had a lump in my throat .

@FoxRox would that be Sonic on the Master System? If So, that was the first game that I ever played.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm playing FarCry 4 at the moment, and I'm loving the game having some great time in Kyrat. The engine and physics are pretty much the same as FC3, which was already great.

This will be my Christmas gift to myself. Hopefully when I pick it up before Christmas Break, it'll have dropped $10-20, and I'll most certainly be diving into it as much as I can. Looking forward to it.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited November 2014 Posts: 28,694

After having heard so much about this game, and being such a big fan of Naughty Dog's Uncharted series, I I picked up a copy. I was not expecting the opening to be that emotional, I had a lump in my throat .

@FoxRox would that be Sonic on the Master System? If So, that was the first game that I ever played.

You'll have to give us your thoughts on this one as well, @MajorDSmythe. A great game you have here, that hits all the right buttons. It's emotional, unrelenting, tense, funny, atmospheric and so much more all at once. The real success of the game in my opinion is just how much NaughtyDog makes you love Ellie, which arguably isn't really that hard as she's already quite stellar from the first moment you meet her.
    edited November 2014 Posts: 40,372
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, that's another one that has been chipping away in price on Amazon, so I'm going to wait until Black Friday to see if it gets any lower, and I may get that one, as well.

I watched more gameplay of it; the dialogue looks great, the cities and scenery look wonderful, and it looks like it has some of the most intense stealth sections/shootouts I've seen in a game. May say screw the other price drop and get it at $42.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    The game would be worth a hundred dollar price point, I assure you. ;) I know you'll love it, whenever it is that you get it. I only advise that you avoid comment sections of videos and other things like that as if they are the plague. You don't want a single bit of this wild ride spoiled for you, trust me.
    I've no clue what to expect, and honestly, I don't know anything about the game. Just seems like a city wasteland of sorts that you're making your way through, or something. Maybe I'll couple this with 'Far Cry 4' over Christmas Break, as this looks like something I'll want to play straight through with no interruptions.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    I traded in my PS3 copy of GTA V for the PS4 version last week. I've been wanting to replay the single player campaign again for a few months now but I just decided to wait until the PS4 version was released.

Also, Injustice: Gods Among Us will be free for PS4 PS+ users next week. I'm looking forward to that. The Hitman HD Trilogy will also be free for PS3 users next week too. If you haven't gotten into the Hitman franchise yet, now's your chance!
    I'm loving my PS4 version of GTA V, and was posting on random forums today the same thing about 'Hitman': if you have a PS3 and haven't dove into those games, now is a great opportunity. The three contained in the trilogy are some of my favorite games of all time.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I've no clue what to expect, and honestly, I don't know anything about the game. Just seems like a city wasteland of sorts that you're making your way through, or something. Maybe I'll couple this with 'Far Cry 4' over Christmas Break, as this looks like something I'll want to play straight through with no interruptions.

You'll be glued to it, I assure you. I can't wait to hear what you think.

Which one? The first one? If so, it appears yes (I had to google it); I played it on the Mega Collection compilation for the GameCube (as well as 2 and 3).
  • JuraquagmireJuraquagmire Canada
    I'm started 'Mafia II', '007 Legends' next...
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    keep a barf bag and some tylenol handy when you play 007 Legends... just saying..
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    007 Legends wasn't that bad. I played it at a friends house and it was somewhat fun. What I didn't like about it was it pretty much was a kill everyone in the room and move on sort of game.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Agreed, the gadgets weren't useful either. Especially the laser watch.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited November 2014 Posts: 15,423
    MOB ENFORCER (2004):

A cheap-looking gangster game that is developed on the infamous Lithtech Jupiter, famous for serving as the engine for No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy In HARM's Way two years prior. The gameplay is alright, well, in fact, being a complete rip off of the aforementioned title, and shares similarities to Contract JACK, as well. However, apart from the character models and some 3D rendering late 1920s-based vehicles, there hasn't been much of an effort put to the game, and it looks like a straight out mod of NOLF-2, using the very same weapons with the very same textures and all. Some of the AI are seen carrying a Beretta 82F, only for the player to pick up and it turns into a Colt M1911A1, perhaps the only original gun in the game. Dealing with the AI, at times, is also not an easy possibility as they emerge from nowhere, repeatedly spawning at various locations and surprising you at times. I dare to say, the easiest difficulty is very hard to defend, let alone picking the hardest one. The sounds, regular in-game character speeches and rants are also taken from NOLF 2, such as "Eat Lead!" or "Here I come!" etc. As for the narrative, it did have potential but it was very short, just like Contract JACK. You play as an ex-fighter called Jimmy "Machine Guns" Demora, joining forces with Al Capone as one of his operatives, destroying rival gangsters in town. Overall, you might find intriguing bits in the game, but it drops the ball and gets boring too soon, as you find yourself leaping over from one place to another that feels the same, with the layout not showing too much of a difference.

mob%2Benforcer.jpg
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

I've just exited the Library (?), where Ellie starts reading out aloud jokes from her book. I love these little moments that occur in quiet periods. I had Joel just walking, and I could hear what I initially thought was wind, I turned Joel around, and it turned out to be Ellie, trying to whistle. Another one, from a little later, was when Ellie saw the picture of a model in a shop window, commented on her (the model) being skinny, and asked Joel if people used to eat back then.
    I caved and bought 'NHL 15' and 'The Last Of Us' on the PS4, and this will be the first time I played the latter game, which I've heard only the most amazing things about. It'll probably arrive before Christmas Break so I'll dive into it when I'm home for break. I can't wait.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited December 2014 Posts: 4,399
    THE LAST OF US (the remastered PS4 edition)

one of the reasons i made the jump from Xbox to Playstation was for this game, as i heard it was phenomenal... i originally picked it up when it came out - i downloaded it off the marketplace, played it for a about an hour then switched to something else....... and there it sat, for a couple months....... it wasn't that i didn't like the game, i just got wrapped up in other stuff to really sit down and give this game the attention it deserves.... well, recently i dove back in, and all i can say is "holy s***"... i forgot how good the voice acting is.. i haven't made it that far into the game, just got to Lincoln - but i can already say i am invested in the story of these characters... i've always said that i would love to see a company like Rockstar or Ubisoft handle a future James Bond game.. well.. add Naughty Dog to that list as well...

side note..whats funny is that i keep picturing if this were a movie - who would play Joel.. and I can't stop thinking about how perfect Jeffery Dean Morgan would be in that role.. he has the look, even right down to the voice..

USAToday_jeffrey_dean_morgan_zps5f172a02.jpg
  • When my PS3 died and I bought a new one, it came with The Last of Us.
    Do you suppose it's worth upgrading to the PS4 version?
    on quick glance there doesn't seem much difference in the overall graphics of the game... so game models are close to the same - but what they've enhanced are a lot of the finer details, more individual hairs, fine lines in the face are more visible - as well as the more detail in the environment and scenery as well. There also seems to be slight enhancements made to the color and lighting as well...

at the end of the day, based off the image comparisons i've looked at it looks the same game as the PS3 version, with just a bit more finer details in the models and environments - to make big sweeping changes and adjustments would take a considerable amount of time... so, view the PS4 version essentially as a port.. i am not sure if the PS4 version comes with anything additional or not.... so upgrading it completely depends on you..

now i have a friend who owned the PS3 version, but then picked up the PS4 version on black friday (on sale).. and he was impressed by the look of it right off the bat...
    in addition to TLOU... what a soundtrack.... i had to download it right away... one of the best soundtracks i've ever heard - in both video games and films.. so simple, yet so emotionally evocative..
    in honor of tomorrow Goldeneye Reloaded for the 360
    i honestly cannot put down this game - The Last Of Us... i just made it to FALL, and oh my freaking god.... i'll put the rest in spoiler tags for those who havent played the game yet and don't want to be spoiled...
    Henry and Sam :( ... i grew really fond of those characters, what a heartbreaking way for them to go out.. i knew when something was up with Sam when he was talking to Ellie, i knew he had gotten bit but didn't want to say anything - then the reveal of his leg once Ellie leaves the room... :( ... but then for Henry to have to put down his own brother, then kill himself - holy crap... i thought Red Dead Redemption was an emotional game (still very much is) but oh my god this.. i was literally talking to my TV going "no Henry, don't do it." ........... when games can emotionally pull me in, and make me invest in these characters - i no longer call it a game, it's an experience..
    edited December 2014 Posts: 13,882
    The Last Of Us:GOTY

I'm up to the point where...
    Ellie uses the rifle to cover Joel.

and...

Sleeping Dogs

The last mission I completed was where Wei breaks into the vans at the docks, to steal the diamonds. I have also reached Cop level 10, so I can open the boot of any police car, and take out a shotgun.

Both superb games, highly recommended.
    edited December 2014 Posts: 40,372
    'The Last Of Us: Remastered' (2014)

I was intrigued, excited, scared, and (I'll admit it) nearly cried in the first 10-15 minutes.

Yeah, this is going to be a great game.

EDIT: Not sure how far into the game I am, but I just reached:
    The wharf, and got my first glimpse at Jerome Bronn from GoT Robert. The area right before this, there are two enemies to tackle before you move into the final warehouse, where there are three more enemies. I grabbed the first enemy in that initial building and strangled him to death. I lost sight of the second one, and threw a bottle, noticing that he was coming from that warehouse (cutting down the enemies I would have to fight from four to three.) He came down the stairs and I strangled him, too.

I went to move through the first floor of the big warehouse because I saw an enemy with his back to me, but before I grabbed him, I saw two guys upstairs, so I took the outside stairwell and went up that way instead. When I got up there, I whipped a bottle over the railing to the first floor, and one of the men on the second floor went down to investigate. I cut right and flanked around to the top of the stairs to grab that guy, when out of nowhere, I notice the investigative bad guy was already almost back, and a bullet whizzes past my shoulder (suppose it was Tess shooting at him).

I lay the first guy out with a punch, and start fighting the second one. The first one comes back up the stairs, so Tess and I are now back and forth with these guys, exchanging blows and bullets. I pop them both, one flies into the wall and sprays blood everywhere and the other one is at the foot of an office door. I'm done, reload, and realize the third guy quietly made his way up the stairs. He hits me with a shot, so - with a fresh magazine - I pop him a few more times and send him rolling down the stairs.

I can't recall the last time a tiny gunfight like that had me so pumped and nervous. THAT was a wild ride, and that was only my first big, non-scripted gunfight encounter. I look forward to many more moments. In an estimation of an hour of playing (I'd say), this game is taking me for a wild ride, and I'm loving every minute of it with no clear idea on what to expect yet. The graphics are beautiful (and those cutscenes? Wow.), the gameplay is addictive and fun, the attention to detail and collectibles are great, and the game actually makes you want to explore for bottles, medkits, ammo, etc., because it's really going to come in handy down the road. I found about eight or nine pistol rounds before that aforementioned fight, so who knows where I would've been had I not picked them up.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Felt nostalgic: Everything or Nothing. Damn, I forgot how fun this game is.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    'The Last Of Us: Remastered' (2014)

I was intrigued, excited, scared, and (I'll admit it) nearly cried in the first 10-15 minutes.

Yeah, this is going to be a great game.

EDIT: Not sure how far into the game I am, but I just reached:
    The wharf, and got my first glimpse at Jerome Bronn from GoT Robert. The area right before this, there are two enemies to tackle before you move into the final warehouse, where there are three more enemies. I grabbed the first enemy in that initial building and strangled him to death. I lost sight of the second one, and threw a bottle, noticing that he was coming from that warehouse (cutting down the enemies I would have to fight from four to three.) He came down the stairs and I strangled him, too.

I went to move through the first floor of the big warehouse because I saw an enemy with his back to me, but before I grabbed him, I saw two guys upstairs, so I took the outside stairwell and went up that way instead. When I got up there, I whipped a bottle over the railing to the first floor, and one of the men on the second floor went down to investigate. I cut right and flanked around to the top of the stairs to grab that guy, when out of nowhere, I notice the investigative bad guy was already almost back, and a bullet whizzes past my shoulder (suppose it was Tess shooting at him).

I lay the first guy out with a punch, and start fighting the second one. The first one comes back up the stairs, so Tess and I are now back and forth with these guys, exchanging blows and bullets. I pop them both, one flies into the wall and sprays blood everywhere and the other one is at the foot of an office door. I'm done, reload, and realize the third guy quietly made his way up the stairs. He hits me with a shot, so - with a fresh magazine - I pop him a few more times and send him rolling down the stairs.

I can't recall the last time a tiny gunfight like that had me so pumped and nervous. THAT was a wild ride, and that was only my first big, non-scripted gunfight encounter. I look forward to many more moments. In an estimation of an hour of playing (I'd say), this game is taking me for a wild ride, and I'm loving every minute of it with no clear idea on what to expect yet. The graphics are beautiful (and those cutscenes? Wow.), the gameplay is addictive and fun, the attention to detail and collectibles are great, and the game actually makes you want to explore for bottles, medkits, ammo, etc., because it's really going to come in handy down the road. I found about eight or nine pistol rounds before that aforementioned fight, so who knows where I would've been had I not picked them up.

I'm glad you're liking it, @Creasy! The survivalist in me kicks in any time I play that game, because I scour the entire game world to get any and all supplies I can find; bullets, weapons, pills, gears, anything. Everything is so beautifully scarce in the game world so you really have to plan ahead and conserve your supplies if you want to make it.

Be sure to keep me updated on your progress. This is one game where I love reading other peoples' reactions to what is going on in the game.
  • I finished Assassin's Creed Unity yesterday. Disappointing rushed ending to a disappointing game.

It's a shame because it had so much potential. The new assassination missions are brilliant and easily on par with Hitman, Dishonoured, etc. The new customisation is cool and all the new animations are great, the new combat system and parkour system are amazing and the game is gorgeous.

The main problem with Unity is that it panders to the masses.

I'm convinced that the (terrible) story of this game is a direct response to people who complained about AC III. People said that Connor was a bad character and that the game was too slow.

So in Unity we get Arno. He's a crappy bland Ezio rip off. It feels like since people complained about Connor and (to a lesser extent) Edward, they just thought "fuck it" and did a pale imitation of Ezio instead.

Connor and Edward were real feeling, fleshed out, original characters. With flaws and distinct personalities. I really liked them. But people complained and now we have Arno. Yes Ezio is still the best character but if they want to move out of the shadow of his trilogy, retreading his story is not the way to go about it.

AC III took it's time to develop it's characters and set up it's story. But people whined about the Haytham section being too slow.

So we have the piss poor excuse for a story that Unity has. Where the bad guys are one dimensional and hardly even get any dialogue and you don't give a shit about any of the characters because there are hardly any cut scenes. It sacrifices what was great about the other stories for a faster pace.

Even the historical side of the game is a disappointment. Napoleon is in two fucking missions, gets about 5 minutes screentime overall and then disappears for the rest of the game.

The villain is crap. He's a sage, like Black Bart in AC IV, but he's nowhere near as fleshed out or interesting. He's a caricature, a pantomine villain. He's nowhere near as interesting, threatening or memorable as the Borgia (who again, they've ripped off, he wears a similar outfit and manipulates things from behind the scenes like Rodrigo), Black Bart or Haytham Kenway.

I'm sure for some people all this is great. A faster paced game that doesn't really bother with all the character development, conversations between the protagonist and the Templars that made you think and the political scheming.

But for fans of the series like myself, who played the series for the story, it's a massive disappointment. The whole thing just feels so dumbed down compared to previous Assassin's Creed games.

It also lacks the spectacle and drama of previous AC games. There are no cool action set pieces or really cool dramatic scenes (there's one scene that tries to be dramatic but it fails because you hardly know the characters that are involved). The mission design is really bland. You either sneak or fight your way through a location, that's pretty much the entire game. There is one level, where you run across the rooftops and chase a hot air baloon, that gave me hope. It was a good bit of level design. But nothing else in the game lives up to that. Yes missions are more open but the cool inventive missions previous games put you in are more or less gone.

I still remember soaring across Venice in Leonardos flying machine. I still remember battling my way into the Vatican and fighting the pope. I still remember fighting Ceasare on top of the castle wall after charging through an apocalyptic battlefield and I still remember escaping the burning shipyard in Istanbul and parasailing from the back of a speeding carriage then having a fist fight with the Templar prince in mid air after going flying off a mountain. I still remember the battle of bunker hill in AC III and I remember the mission where Blackbeard died in AC IV.

I only just finished Unity but I've already forgotten most of the missions.

Honestly, I think I'm done. If this is what Assassin's Creed is going to be from now on then I don't care anymore.

1) AC 2
    2) AC IV
    3) AC Revelations
    4) AC III
    5) AC Brotherhood

6) AC 1

7) AC Unity
  • Forgot to add: co op is fun but after the novelty of playing with friends wears off it just becomes as boring as the rest of the game.

There are much more fun co op games out there. Like Left 4 Dead 2 for example. Oh, and that game has split screen too, so you can actually sit and play with your friends in the same room, unlike in AC U, which forces you to play online if you want to play with your friends.