Do You Know How Christmas Trees are Grown?

PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
in Music Posts: 3,675
With Christmas just around the corner, does anyone have any info as to the recording of this Christmas classic? (Well, for me at least :) )

Comments

• With a seed, water, and nitrogen rich soil...
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    =)) =)) =))
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    You have great taste. I also have come to like that title a lot.
    It was composed by John Barry (music) with Hal David (lyrics) and sung by Danish actress Nina van Pallandt. Here she is performing at the BBC Morecambe and Wise Christmas Show 1969. She could have mixed in with the girls at Piz Gloria without problems.

John Barry wrote another song for her that did not make it into OHMSS:

In France, it was sung by Isabelle Aubret :

And in Germany by Katja Ebstein :

Both had taken part in the Eurovision Song Contest (Isabelle even won it in 1962).
    Funny, I wanted to start a thread about it. One of my favourite Christmas songs.
    @zebrafish You are quite right about how Nina could've been a Piz Gloria girl.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Love this song! Probably the most "festive" song out there!
    There's some more information on the song at Bond-O-Rama.
    I just listened to this today. Still my favourite.
    The Jackie DeShannon version is also pretty good:
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    gay-christmas-tree.jpg
    That might be offensive to a few, but I laughed. We're talking about Christmas trees, not actual people; it's fine.
    Ninas autograph is certainly difficult to find :P
    Have you tried?
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I'm afraid I can't help out on the original question of the thread, but I do remember Nina & Frederik (her Dutch husband, whose father was ambassador to Denmark) from my relatively early childhood days - that is, after late 1965 when my family got their first TV set. Nina & Frederik appeared regularly (or at least I remember several occasions) on the show Musik aus Studio B hosted by Chris Howland on German TV in the Sixties. Since I was too young to watch James Bond movies then (yes, they do observe minimum-age requirements for films in Germany), I was surprised to notice it was Nina who sung Christmas Trees in OHMSS when I first watched it 20-some years later.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Danish beauty Nina van Pallandt formed a duet with her then husband Baron Frederick, that had a great success and even a TV program.

After three children together they separated and he went to Phillippines, where he would die with his new wife in the 90's for drug dealing bussiness!

Nina worked in the cinema in the 70's, for example with Robert Altman in The Long Goodbye:

She was on the spotlight again when she married Clifford Irving, that became famous for his fake interview with Howard Hughes that lead him to jail. Orson Welles talked about it in the great F for Fake:

And, in 2006, Irving's story reached the big screen in The Hoax with Julie Delpy as Nina:

Ninas autograph is certainly difficult to find :P
    Have you tried?

If you cant find her address its pretty much impossible to get it
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Bumping for Christmas.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    One might say, this keeps reappearing with the tedious inevitability of an unloved season. Although that's from the wrong movie.
  • And watching OHMSS this evening as part of my own personal Christmas. Truly love this film. You’ll all understand, so, wishing you all a peaceful holiday and prosperous new year.
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    One might say, this keeps reappearing with the tedious inevitability of an unloved season. Although that's from the wrong movie.

It has a nasty habit of surviving.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited December 2021 Posts: 12,914
    marc wrote: »
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

It has a nasty habit of surviving.
    The inevitability of a best-loved season hopefully.

How would have Oscar Wilde have put it? To use one film quote could be an accident. To use two, would seem... festive.
    025d96a10660ea386bc2947bad6333a3e2387d4d.gif

• marcmarc Universal Exports
    edited December 2021 Posts: 2,608
    Haha, good one.

Well, it defies all our attempts...

But I'm sorry, just kidding. Don't mean to offend.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I do know how they are grown but this is a family forum so I'll stop there.
    It is unironically one of my favourite Christmas songs.