Last album you listened to?

edited March 2011 in General Discussion Posts: 50
REM - Collapse Into Now

Not greatly impressed on first listen, TBH; The odd moment aside, it just sounds like yet another established act playing it safe with far too much of the over-familiar. Still, at least the stock of Monster seems to have risen, given that the "best since" hype line on REM now seems to be "their best since Bill Berry left", as much as that still irks me for anyone to suggest this album is better than Up.

And, as a side question, has straightforward MOR rock ever been as unfashionable and uninspired as it seems to be right now? It seems practically dead at the moment IMO, with very few avenues left to explore. I really wish there was more experimentation on this REM album, something to justify it's existence among their canon, something to win over some new fans and something to provide me with a good answer which doesn't merely harken back to years gone by when people ask me why I still like REM.

Comments

Blind Pilot - 3 Rounds and a Sound

It's a really soft and sweet album. It doesn't have a lot of range, but each song has its own twists and turns that give it its own charm. It's the kind of album that I enjoy listening to on the bus in the morning.

• I'm currently listening to The Social Network soundtrack and Alexis Jordan. One is good. The other is meh.
  • CISCIS Suspended
    edited March 2011 Posts: 52
    Currently listening to:

Happiness... Is Not a Fish That You Can Catch by Our Lady Peace

Very interesting and unique Canadian music from the '90s grunge era.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    edited March 2011 Posts: 1,986
    Iron Maiden: Powerslave \m/ \m/ \m/

Many consider it their best, to me it's their second best, close behind Somewhere In Time. A true classic!
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Painkiller!!!!!!

Photobucket

\m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ ... and an extra \m/ for my 100th post........ realistically though, it's post #160-something... but who cares.. lol
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Seems we have similar tastes in music! @haserot :-bd

Love my old school metal!
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited March 2011 Posts: 4,399
    hellz yeah.... honestly, i like a little bit everything.. i can listen to Judas Priest, Nirvana, Metallica, Eminem, Megadeth, Notorious BIG, Johnny Cash... really anything - except Country - Johnny Cash is about as country as I go.. but com'on, it's the man in black :).... i listen to my classical music before i even think of listening to country music... lol

but i usually stick to my metal/rock music...

Drowning Pool
    Metallica
    Iron Maiden
    Judas Preist
    Megadeth
    Disturbed
    Rammstein

\m/ FTW! \m/
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Same here, my main love is Metal of all kinds. NWOBHM, Melodic Death, and Symphonic mainly. After that, well many different genres. Classic Rock, Progressive Rock and/or Metal, Techno Industrial, Classical, etc.

No room for any Country, but much worse in my book, Dance, Dance Pop (Britney style), and what I call garbage Pop Rock or Alternative (that would include the likes of Creed, Nickelback, Linkin Park, The Killers, etc). Anything made to sound like whatever's popular at the moment is all bad in my book. ;)
    Great taste in music guys, anything except modern country and manufactured pop/rock sounds good to me.;-) So pretty much anything that is currently mainstream is out the window.

Don't forget that we can embed YouTube clips on here now, so if there are any particular songs you like feel free to post them for us all to listen to.
    @ Luds...

yes yes, can't stand pop either.... Linkin Park were good during their Hybrid Theory/Meteora days... but since - they've blown goats hard... that last album i'm surprised even passed for music.. half it was just voice over clips... thank god i didn't bother wasting my money buying it...

currently, my 2 favorite songs/videos are...

not much a video story wise... but those boobies sure don't look like they hurt ;-)

not sure what is up the funky ass quality in the sound... either way, this video is ice cold..
  • LudsLuds MIA
    I like Rammstein as well. Solid band. I'm glad I bought the Lost Highway soundtrack back in the days (Thanks David Lynch!) and discovered them.

My all time favourite bands:

Classic Rock: Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Jethro Tull, Roger Hodgson (Supertramp)
    NWOBHM: Iron Maiden
    Symphonic Metal: Nightwish (with Tarja), Epica
    Death/Melodic Death: Children Of Bodom, Amon Amareth, Arch Enemy, Cannibal Corpse, Mayhem

Check this out!
    @Luds... i feel like raping and pillaging now...
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Who never wished they were a viking, seriously!
    Same for being a pirate! :ar!

OK on to...

Epica: The Divine Conspiracy

:* :"> :X
    =P~ damn... makes that chick from Paramore look like a little girl..
    The art of the 12", A celebration of the extended remix.

by

Zang Tuum Tumb label as released by Salvo records

A flashback to my youth and some of the most brilliant music ever as released by Propaganda & Frankie goes to Hollywood.
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 50
    Quoting SaintMark: The art of the 12", A celebration of the extended remix.

by

Zang
    Tuum Tumb label as released by Salvo records

A flashback to my youth and
    some of the most brilliant music ever as released by Propaganda & Frankie
    goes to Hollywood.
    Superb choice mate, I own that one myself. B-)
  • SeveSeve The island of Lemoy
    edited March 2011 Posts: 357
    a Steely Dan compilation
    IMO if Skunk Baxter isn't on guitar then it's not really Steely Dan

"I have never met Napoleon, but I plan to find the time
    I have never met Napoleon, but I plan to find the time (yes I do)
    well he looks so fine, up on that hill
    they tell me he was lonely, he's lonley still
    those days are gone forever, over a long time ago... (oh yeah)"
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Nightwish: End of an Era

The final album before the grotesque departure of the great Tarja Turunen, a sad sad day in Nightwish's history, and for many, then end of the band.

• St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited March 2011 Posts: 1,699

Gave Fleetwood Mac's Rumours, one of my all-time favorite albums, a listen the other day for the first time in a while.
    Quoting Luds: Powerslave \m/ \m/ \m/

I feel compelled to join in the reverence. When their last album came out I noticed how much I miss that kind of electricity they had in their sound back then. They should never have sacked Martin Birch.

The album I most recently listened to was the LTK soundtrack, and I had a strange moment of enlightenment, noticing a certain, artfully trashy concept underlying all of the music, in which a cheap INXS rip-off and an even cheaper Dr. No Jump Up rip-off make perfect sense. It was a moment of bliss :) .
    The Elitists (2011)

Great record. I love the mix of jazz and synth elements. Quite the twist. Works fantastic.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Quoting boldfinger: I feel compelled to join in the reverence. When their last album came out I noticed how much I miss that kind of electricity they had in their sound back then. They should never have sacked Martin Birch.
    I wholeheartedly agree. Maiden's sound changed dramatically after 7th son, with the departure of Adrien Smith and the forgettable No Prayer for the Dying (although Holly Smoke is a great tune) and then Fear of the Dark which was Birch's last with Maiden if I remember correctly. The band went on a long downfall and came back with Brave New World, a superb effort. However, most of the later albums have been "off" somehow. I do like many of their new songs from Dance of Death, Matter of Live and Death, and now Final Frontier. But since Brave New World, their sound is just off. I'm not sure how to explain, maybe they're trying to create epics rather than just let it happen.
    I've mellowed since first posting on the old forums - when I think I might have listened to a little teeny metal bopy stuff (though probably nothing as hardcore as you, @Luds)

My current musical obsession for about the last 2 years has been Adele - the best thing to come out of Tottenham... well, ever I think. I think there are a lot of critics of her out there, but at 21 years old to have two pretty damn successful albums with songs that she's mostly penned herself is impressive in this X-Factor driven music industry. Anyhow, one of her current singles:

And a song she wrote at 16 years of age:

Also been revisiting Craig Armstrong's Piano Works:

And lastly, this is a gem - it's Stjepan Hauser and Luka Sulic playing Smooth Criminal by Michael Jackson on cellos:

Frikkin awesome.
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 5,767
    Quoting Luds: However, most of the later albums have been "off" somehow. I do like many of their new songs from Dance of Death, Matter of Live and Death, and now Final Frontier. But since Brave New World, their sound is just off. I'm not sure how to explain, maybe they're trying to create epics rather than just let it happen.

It´s funny in a way. Maiden got a lot of flak in the 80s for not changing their style, and then, when they changed their style, they went in a direction that is, well, off.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Quoting boldfinger: It´s funny in a way. Maiden got a lot of flak in the 80s for not changing their style, and then, when they changed their style, they went in a direction that is, well, off.
    That's because old school metal is back big times in the 2000s. That's what people want. Mind you, nothing wrong with their new stuff, it's just not as good, or classic.
    edited March 2011 Posts: 4,399
    Photobucket

was just playing the latest MLB 2K game, and thought I would throw on some Beatles for some nice background music..... as the music in the game traditionally lives up to it's usual suckage..
  • The Bourne Identity soundtrack.
    Drove up Pacific Coast Highway over the weekend listening to this...the perfect soundtrack:

Just bought two albums I have been listening to quite a lot on my Ipod. Hans Zimmers' The Da Vinci Code soundtrack, which I think is one of his very best. And Jimmy Page & Robert Plant with No Quarter which is a bloody brilliant cd.

This is the advantage of downloading namely listening to new music and if you don't like it delete it or otherwise just buy it. I bought no more turkeys in the recent years, meaning albums that sound interesting but fail to be and then take up space in your cupboard along with the albums bought during my diverse relationships that were better liked by my other halves and once gone never get any playtime because they are just not my taste. :-D