'Skyfall' re-ignited me as a fan. What about you?

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    When I went away on a long hiatus from the Bond franchise starting from summer 2012, I was not a big fan of the Craig movies (CR and QOS) and I wasn't very excited for the new installement (SF). I hadn't read any bit of Bond news from august 2012 until SF arrived in theaters, so I kind of went to see it with a fresh mind. What I wasn't prepared to witness was 2.5 hours of pure epic fun. Was it a traditional Bond film? No, it was not, but damn it felt 100% Bond and British to me. I was so mindblowned by SF that when I arrived back home I put CR and QOS right away on the blu ray player, and they went from the bottom of my rankings to into the top 10, both of them, and SF went in my top 3. Bond 24 is now the Bond movie I've been the most excited for since I became a Bond fan as a kid.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2014 Posts: 23,883
    I'm glad to hear that @DaltonCraig007. It's refreshing to see that SF brought you in to the Craig fold so to speak.

For me, CR did that, but from your comments I can now see how SF, with some of its humour & characterisations, may have brought back some fans who were a little alienated by Craig's two earlier entries, with their hard hitting violence & different take on the character.

That's the power of characterisation (something Mendes gets) and the power of getting the humour/action/violence balance right for broad reach.

They've got a lot of pressure on them to make B24 the absolute best they've done, and I for one can't wait to see what they come up with.
  • AstonLotus wrote: »
    Well i think Skyfall is by far the worst Bond film ever made so did it '' reignite my interest '' ? .......Ummm...NO.

If anything it proved how much a Bond fan i was before this utterly depressing Craig era began in 2006.

Can I ask...how old you are?

He is obviously old enough to apply (and appreciate ) logic. Something that (just as obviously ) can't be said about Skyfalls fans.
    Matt_Helm wrote: »
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    Well i think Skyfall is by far the worst Bond film ever made so did it '' reignite my interest '' ? .......Ummm...NO.

If anything it proved how much a Bond fan i was before this utterly depressing Craig era began in 2006.

He is obviously old enough to apply (and appreciate ) logic. Something that (just as obviously ) can't be said about Skyfalls fans.

I never knew the British Academy of Film and Television Arts was made up of kids and teenagers...
  • Matt_Helm wrote: »

I never knew the British Academy of Film and Television Arts was made up of kids and teenagers...

Who ever appreciates Skyfalls story development has no business watching (let alone reading) tales about espionage (or any tale at all that is not a Donald Duck cartoon ),academy or not. Who are these people anyway? Critics, former producers? One critic even wrote "Mendes puts the I as in intelligence back in MI6"!!
    I won't put too much trust in any profession that someone so devoid of rationale can exercise.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Who ever appreciates Skyfalls story development has no business watching (let alone reading) tales about espionage (or any tale at all that is not a Donald Duck cartoon ),academy or not. Who are these people anyway? Critics, former producers? One critic even wrote "Mendes puts the I as in intelligence back in MI6"!!
    I won't put too much trust in any profession that someone so devoid of rationale can exercise.

It's certainly difficult to argue given you wrote the book on this.
    My Bond pilot light has never gone out! :D
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    My Bond pilot light has never gone out! :D

Same here. But Skyfall did make it burn hotter.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    My burner took a big hit with QOS :)) but luckily
    I grew to like it.
  • Skyfall was actually a big let-down for me. CR is the film where my Bond-fandom got me the most excited!
    I felt ten feet tall leaving the cinema after CR. Bond was back and
    Dangerous again. ;)
  • DrGorner wrote: »
    I felt ten feet tall leaving the cinema after CR. Bond was back and
    Dangerous again. ;)

Same here! I was so excited, after the movieI ran through the parking-lot of the theater with my friends and I vaulted over the hood of a parked car, fell, and should have been hurt but I was on such an adrenaline high from watching CR, I rolled through the fall like a ninja, got right up, and was totally fine. Never have I felt so good leaving a movie theater as I did after watching CR!
    after CR, we ALL tried a bit of "Free Running", :))

It's certainly difficult to argue given you wrote the book on this.

I see you still feel hurt.
    Good!
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 6,432
    Skyfall is only one film thankfully, or maybe not :( joking aside I think Mendes, or rather hope he and the team will do better second time round. [-O< I loved Skyfall :^o
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Skyfall is only one film thankfully, or maybe not :( joking aside I think Mendes, or rather hope he and the team will do better second time round. $-) I loved Skyfall :^o
    SF was a shakedown. Confidence is high that the next will be Craig's TB.
  • Without the shackles of the last film I hope he will deliver, one positive I will give SF its a incredibly well shot film. Though please no more DB5 #-o
    one positive I will give SF its a incredibly well shot film. Though please no more DB5 #-o
    It looked nice but CGI post was everywhere...
    and you can never have too much DB5 IMO.
    :))
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    one positive I will give SF its a incredibly well shot film. Though please no more DB5 #-o
    It looked nice but CGI post was everywhere...
    and you can never have too much DB5 IMO.

It was probably in the context in which it was used ;)) I just have so many issues with Skyfall grr :-q the film infuriates me :))
    edited November 2014 Posts: 17,687
    I just have so many issues with Skyfall grr :-q the film infuriates me :))
    I've watched it in its entirety twice, and attempted more... QOS & CR are just SO much more my cup of tea.
    [It's certainly difficult to argue given you wrote the book on this.

Good!

It's not often one sees such blatant boorishness paraded about in public so proudly. I'd urge @Matt to "stay classy" ...but I'm afraid the subtlety might be lost on Herr Helm. Let's just remember that reasonable people can always disagree reasonably...and for unreasonable people, there's always the option of taking on the persona of a 3rd rate pretender when posting on a forum devoted to James Bond!
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    I just have so many issues with Skyfall grr :-q the film infuriates me :))
    I've watched it in its entirety twice, and attempted more... QOS & CR are SO much better IMO.
    Totally agree! Skyfall lacks the conviction and focus off Craig's first two films.
    SF was a major disappointment to me. I felt the Craig era was building quite nicely up to that point and then it all seemed to come crashing down to earth. To be totally honest, I am not a die hard Craig fan. I think he's a good Bond, but I find it hard to get particularly passionate about his films. Parts of CR I really enjoyed, particularly the relationship with Vesper. Other bits, like the Miami Airport chase, I found yawn-inducingly generic. But I enjoyed Craig's performance.

And as someone who had been in a state of shocked disbelieve since Brosnan first appeared in what was nominally called a Bond movie back in 1995, hanging upside down in a toilet cubicle (appropriately classy first appearance to rank alongside the greats), just having a decent actor in the lead role again brought an unimagined sense of relief. I no longer needed to hang my head in shame as a Bond fan.

Then came QoS, which for all it's faults I enjoyed, not least for its pace. I appreciated the stripped back simple story and thought the film has some really genuinely Bondian moments, not least the Opera. I even liked Dominic Greene.

However, with its lazy, frankly patronising plotting and fanboy elements like the tired DB5 appearance, SF reminded me of nothing more than the Brosnan era. Sure it looked nice, but for me a Bond movie has to have an old fashioned coherent narrative at its core and SF just doesn't. And as I was never a huge fan of Dench's, and actually found her more annoying in the Craig era, you can imagine my joy in discovering she was the 'Bond girl'.

On balance I probably don't rate SF as low as the 95-02 era, but it really has little to commend it to me. Craig is still decent, but I just wish he'd be given one straight down the line Bond mission to complete. Here's hoping!
    Getafix wrote: »
    Then came QoS, which for all it's faults I enjoyed, not least for its pace. I appreciated the stripped back simple story and thought the film has some really genuinely Bondian moments, not least the Opera. I even liked Dominic Greene.
    More agreement!! Best Bond of this Century so far IMO.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 11,425
    chrisisall wrote: »
    More agreement!! Best Bond of this Century so far IMO.

Yes, I lamely put CR as first choice in the GE to SF rankings, but really I actually enjoyed QoS a lot more. I really did feel with QoS that a new, fresh template was being carved out. It's not perfect - far from it - but it just feels unencumbered by cliches, while at the same time capturing more of the essence of Bond than we'd seen for a long time.

I think part of it was the globe trotting as well. The effortless flitting from Italy, to Austria and Latin America. Glam Eurotrash opulence to elegant slumming in the barrios. There was just a vibe that I liked. I dislike the Fields character but it was nice to see Bond just bedding a hot girl and there not being some subtext. And then she dies and Forster does a stupid GF tribute. Anyway, moving swiftly on....
    edited November 2014 Posts: 17,687
    Glam Eurotrash opulence to elegant slumming in the barrios. There was just a vibe that I liked.
    Hahahaha, not sure that I'd put it that way myself, but I totally get what you're saying. Arnold's score was great too.
    Yes totally agree. Arnold really hit his stride with CR and QoS. Very good Bond scores. His contribution really lifts both films.
  • Getafix wrote: »
    SF was a major disappointment to me. I felt the Craig era was building quite nicely up to that point and then it all seemed to come crashing down to earth. To be totally honest, I am not a die hard Craig fan. I think he's a good Bond, but I find it hard to get particularly passionate about his films. Parts of CR I really enjoyed, particularly the relationship with Vesper. Other bits, like the Miami Airport chase, I found yawn-inducingly generic. But I enjoyed Craig's performance.

And as someone who had been in a state of shocked disbelieve since Brosnan first appeared in what was nominally called a Bond movie back in 1995, hanging upside down in a toilet cubicle (appropriately classy first appearance to rank alongside the greats), just having a decent actor in the lead role again brought an unimagined sense of relief. I no longer needed to hang my head in shame as a Bond fan.

However, with its lazy, frankly patronising plotting and fanboy elements like the tired DB5 appearance, SF reminded me of nothing more than the Brosnan era. Sure it looked nice, but for me a Bond movie has to have an old fashioned coherent narrative at its core and SF just doesn't. And as I was never a huge fan of Dench's, and actually found her more annoying in the Craig era, you can imagine my joy in discovering she was the 'Bond girl'.

On balance I probably don't rate SF as low as the 95-02 era, but it really has little to commend it to me. Craig is still decent, but I just wish he'd be given one straight down the line Bond mission to complete. Here's hoping!

You're sadly one of the exceptions on this forum who thinks that way :-P.
    I keep re-discovering my love of Bond movies.
    A couple of years ago I gave Dalton's movies another shot, and they became my favourites. Then Dr. No fascinated me, later I found that FYEO & OP were entirely too much fun, later I found QOS to be memorizing in its simple narrative brilliance, most recently I purchased FRWL on Blu Ray & delighted at its economical & purely Fleminesque excellence.
    Ignition all around!
    [It's certainly difficult to argue given you wrote the book on this.

Good!

It's not often one sees such blatant boorishness paraded about in public so proudly. I'd urge @Matt to "stay classy" ...but I'm afraid the subtlety might be lost on Herr Helm. Let's just remember that reasonable people can always disagree reasonably...and for unreasonable people, there's always the option of taking on the persona of a 3rd rate pretender when posting on a forum devoted to James Bond!

May I recommend to you to get acquainted with The Wizzards and mine posting exchange in this thread "http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/10170/bond-polls-2014-let-s-rate-the-bond-films-from-goldeneye-until-skyfall#latest"; before you start to judge my manners and behaviour. If this proves too much of a burden for you I would ask you just to stay on the sideline and keep quiet. Thank you.