There's something about that The Man with the Golden Gun (1974)!

Comments

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited November 2014 Posts: 4,399
    (deleted)
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 11,425
    She is the same as the MP character in SF basically.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited November 2014 Posts: 17,687
    Getafix wrote: »
    She is the same as the MP character in SF basically.
    Basically. But not as funny. And no bikini.

:P
    SF is basically a remake of TMWTGG? At least the first half of the film anyway. With bits of TWINE and GE.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    (deleted)
    Goodnight Goodnight, sleep well my dear.
    No need to fear,
    James Bond is here...
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    jobo wrote: »
    Another thread turned into a Mary Goodnight bashing! You just can't help yourself, can you! And its not like we haven't heard it before!

No I suppose I can't help myself.

Please continue! Its perfectly okay as long as you don't like the film. ;)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Another thread turned into a Mary Goodnight bashing! You just can't help yourself, can you! And its not like we haven't heard it before!

No I suppose I can't help myself.

Please continue! Its perfectly okay as long as you don't like the film. ;)

Unless it is one of the poor victimized Brosnan films. Then it becomes tedious, insulting and repetitive. :-j

Anyway, You gotta love Chrisisall Lee as Scaramanga. But I still really would have loved Jack Palance in the part instead. He was more reminiscent of a bully type, like in the book.
    I'll cut back on the Goodnight bashing.

Sir Christopher is of course excellent. Never had any problems with him.
  • Lee's Scaramanga is one of the series' best villains. It's just a shame they didn't make the most of that. Moore's Bond really matched him in that film and I would have loved to see the film tightened up to allow for more of the "match up" between the two.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 7,500
    Lee's Scaramanga is one of the series' best villains. It's just a shame they didn't make the most of that. Moore's Bond really matched him in that film and I would have loved to see the film tightened up to allow for more of the "match up" between the two.

You can blame Tom Mankiewicz for that. (Am I allowed to criticise him? Don't want to step on anyone's toes here... :-S [-O< ;))).

Moore vs Lee in a more Fleming faithful version had so much potential! They basically messed it up as badly as they could...
    Many of the ingredients are there, just not quite perfectly blended.

Can't you make the same criticism of SF except even more so. In that they set it up for a great confrontation between Bond and Silva but it ends up being about Silva and M.

I think the Bond Scraramanga face off in TMWTGG is more satisfying.
    LOL!
    The thing with GG is that a lot of the good/promising stuff is overshadowed by the rather sluggish feeling of the film. What could have been promising feels very routine.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 7,500
    Getafix wrote: »
    Many of the ingredients are there, just not quite perfectly blended.

Can't you make the same criticism of SF except even more so. In that they set it up for a great confrontation between Bond and Silva but it ends up being about Silva and M.

I think the Bond Scraramanga face off in TMWTGG is more satisfying.

I quess that's a fair assesment.

But its all about what works for each film... which again comes down to what works for each viewer individually of course...

Personally I think Skyfall's set up with a feud between Silva and M works. But I see your point... The film makes a point that Silva is not a man for head to head combat though; "All this running around, its exhausting"! He was a 'planner' while Bond was the man 'in the field'. An intense gun duel or fight between the two would probably have been out of character with the line they chose...
    The thing with GG is that a lot of the good/promising stuff is overshadowed by the rather sluggish feeling of the film. What could have been promising feels very routine.

I know what you mean. Hamilton was not on top form. It needs tightening up. Ironic, given that he directed arguably one of the slickest Bonds in GF. And also ironic that Lewis Gilbert sort of restored the series to firing on all cylinders with Spy.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I may be the only one on this planet, but TMWTGG is my favorite Bond film! Sir Rog's performance, the score, the locations, the humour, Christopher Lee... even JW Pepper, I appreciate everything about it! There's just something about it that makes me all excited when I watch this film.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 11,425
    I may be the only one on this planet, but TMWTGG is my favorite Bond film! Sir Rog's performance, the score, the locations, the humour, Christopher Lee... even JW Pepper, I appreciate everything about it! There's just something about it that makes me all excited when I watch this film.

Can't get quite as enthusiastic but I did quite enjoy it when I watched it the other day.
  • I may be the only one on this planet, but TMWTGG is my favorite Bond film! Sir Rog's performance, the score, the locations, the humour, Christopher Lee... even JW Pepper, I appreciate everything about it! There's just something about it that makes me all excited when I watch this film.

Not my favourite Bond film but I certainly agree with most of your commments. Watched it the other night on blu and i really enjoyed it. I like the score even though I read that John Barry said it was his least favourite and he only had 3 weeks to score it! I love the Asian locations and the film has a great villain and sidekick. Two beautiful Bond girls. Its a shame that the film wasn't shot in the "scope" format as I think it would have added to the already great location photography.

edited November 2014 Posts: 17,687
    Not my favourite Bond film but I certainly agree with most of your commments. Watched it the other night on blu and i really enjoyed it. I like the score even though I read that John Barry said it was his least favourite and he only had 3 weeks to score it! I love the Asian locations and the film has a great villain and sidekick. Two beautiful Bond girls. Its a shame that the film wasn't shot in the "scope" format as I think it would have added to the already great location photography.
    Whenever I watch it, I am NEVER bored. That's a great thing to say about any movie.
    This is the film were the wax Bond figure has to coincidentally wear the exact same clothes that bond wears to fool Scaramanga, right?

Phhhf.
    C'mon.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    This is the film were the wax Bond figure has to coincidentally wear the exact same clothes that bond wears to fool Scaramanga, right?

Phhhf.
    C'mon.

As coincidental as, say, Thunderball, which is just one big coincidence, wouldn't you say?! :))
    (deleted)
    The idea that MWTGG is any way shape or form in the same league with SF is laughable. One of the best against one of the absolute worst.
    Even the assassin in SF is more physical and more believable than Scaramanga.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    It's all a matter of taste, isn't it?
    IMHO, IMO, IMO...
    Scaramanga is a better villain, or I dare say, character, than anyone from Skyfall.

He's truly iconic.
    How great of a villain can he be if a really bad wax dummy could fool him?
    Seriously? Scaramanga over Silva or any of the complex, interesting characters in SF? Even Tanner is more interesting.
    It's all a matter of taste, isn't it?
    IMHO, IMO, IMO...
    Scaramanga is a better villain, or I dare say, character, than anyone from Skyfall.

He's truly iconic.

Christopher Lee certainly helps give him gravitas.
    I agree with that, but as a character, the man with the golden gun is nowhere near the menace that REd Grant is.

Not even close.