"Did i overcomplicate the plot ?" - Skyfall Appreciation & Discussion

Comments

• bondjames wrote: »
    I still think separate threads won't solve the problem though, as they will inevitably be infested by folks with different viewpoints and the same problem will persist.

I agree there is no need for vitriol, and maybe there has been some unecessary excess emotion creeping in on this thread which could be dialed back......on an appreciation thread in particular perhaps one should at least attempt to explain any counter views clearly, or else run the risk of offending...

Easier said than done of course.......Bond elicits such passions after 50 glorious years!

For me every kind of content, citing arguments of fans who are against SF and who are supportive of SF, are OK. If it's really about the content that is. Then I'm not easily offended. Eventually I would then say "let's agree to disagree". And I think this line should be uttered much more.

Alas, some people are focussing on more superficial things. And try, sometimes unconsciously, to derail that on-topic content with comments that have nothing to do with that content. Comments that are focused on each other's behaviour, irritations and that are highlighting character traits. I think that should stop.

Either discuss fiercely and with passion
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 11,119
    bondjames wrote: »
    I still think separate threads won't solve the problem though, as they will inevitably be infested by folks with different viewpoints and the same problem will persist.

I agree there is no need for vitriol, and maybe there has been some unecessary excess emotion creeping in on this thread which could be dialed back......on an appreciation thread in particular perhaps one should at least attempt to explain any counter views clearly, or else run the risk of offending...

Easier said than done of course.......Bond elicits such passions after 50 glorious years!

For me every kind of content, citing arguments of fans who are against SF and who are supportive of SF, are OK. If it's really about the content that is. Then I'm not easily offended. Eventually I would then say "let's agree to disagree". And I think this line should be uttered much more.

Alas, some people are focussing on more superficial things. And try, sometimes unconsciously, to derail that on-topic content with comments that have nothing to do with that content. Comments that are focused on each other's behaviour, irritations and that are highlighting character traits. I think that should stop.

Either discuss fiercely and with passion about the subject, then in the end always focus on the line "let's agree to disagree". Or don't post at all or create some enlightened topics yourself that are of your own interest.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    There are threads to have open discussions where you can either massacre a film with hate or glorify the film with praise but I don't get why an APPRECIATION thread has been diluted by those who have nothing particularly nice to say. Yesterday, I came into this thread to observe what favourable comments people had to say and I was confused because I wasn't sure if I was in the right thread, hence why I posted, 'I thought this was an appreciation thread'. I'm not SF's biggest fan, hence why I don't post here but it's the principle of respecting the thread which gets annoying. We're all old and smart enough to follow basic rules. This isn't a generic thread, it's specific as indicated by the fact it's an appreciation thread. When common courtesy of following and adhering to basic rules are abandoned things become chaotic, needlessly annoying and not fun at all.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    There is an expression about opinions being like "bottoms", evetyobody has one.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 7,500
    DrGorner wrote: »
    There is an expression about opinions being like "bottoms", evetyobody has one.

But one shouldn't always repeatedly splash ones bottom straight in people's faces when the situation doesn't call for it, or in this case, specifically asks for something else. ;)
    True. :)
    I find it a bit difficult to understand all the abuse some Bond films get, sure some are weaker than others but I find there's usually enough good stuff in there to make it worth while.
    I've watched the you tube videos " Everything wrong with ..... " and found them funny but it hasn't stopped me loving any film. ;) .
    Maybe, I'm just lucky. :))
    Seems to me that you are a blessed with a bottom of two equally big parts! :)) An ability to see two sides of a situation and reflect. ;)
    Are you saying my Bum, looks big in this ! :))
    Haha, no, I'm just saying its split in the middle like most bums. ;))

But seriously, enough of this... or I might have to start a 'bum analogy thread' :))

Im sorry for derailing this thread even more :\"> O:-)
    Easily done, for my part with the Craig films I'd rank them as.
    CR, SF & QOS. I think some are better than others but I do like
    How they introduced a little more humour into SF, Even Daniel
    Walked with a swagger and a little smirk now and then. I think
    He's got over the pressure and has started to enjoy himself. Bring
    On Bond 24. B-)
    I think this thread was dead in the water before someone bumped it. At least a little bit of reheated SF debate has helped fill the void of silence around B24.

I agree with @Gustav_graves. Discuss fulsomely and passionately, agree to disagree if necessary, and don't take things too personally.

Most of all, we shouldn't segregate people. Someone noted recently that even as the United States has become more and more tolerant of different races and lifestyles, people there have become less and less inclined to share space and time with those they disagree with.

Disagreeing, discussing and arguing and recognising that not agreeing is not the end of the world, is the bedrock of a healthy society, as much here in the web as 'out there' in the real world. One of the great things about these threads is the mix of people, often disagreeing, and often very different, happily sharing time and space.
    I must confess I have a strange feeling Getafix would have been more forgiving of SF's flaws if Dalton had been the star.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    I must confess I have a strange feeling Getafix would have been more forgiving of SF's flaws if Dalton had been the star.

Had Dalts been in it, it would have been a classic. Actually, as it's not the central performance I have a problem with, I don't think that would have made all that much difference to my view.
    Getafix wrote: »
    BAIN123 wrote: »

Had Dalts been in it, it would have been a classic. Actually, as it's not the central performance I have a problem with, I don't think that would have made all that much difference to my view.

But you would have embraced the positive aspects of the film far more ;)

• Getafix wrote: »
    I think this thread was dead in the water before someone bumped it. At least a little bit of reheated SF debate has helped fill the void of silence around B24.

I agree with @Gustav_graves. Discuss fulsomely and passionately, agree to disagree if necessary, and don't take things too personally.

Most of all, we shouldn't segregate people. Someone noted recently that even as the United States has become more and more tolerant of different races and lifestyles, people there have become less and less inclined to share space and time with those they disagree with.

Disagreeing, discussing and arguing and recognising that not agreeing is not the end of the world, is the bedrock of a healthy society, as much here in the web as 'out there' in the real world. One of the great things about these threads is the mix of people, often disagreeing, and often very different, happily sharing time and space.

You deserve this:
    hug1003a1.jpg
    ;-).
    Here are some great behind-the-scenes movies. I think they weren't included in the BluRay of "Skyfall". Suddenly, one understands how realistic the action in SF actually was ;-). It's like you're actually witnessing terrorist attacks. It's scaringly real at times:

Pay attention to the 3rd movie, and scroll to 3min26sec. You can hear Bond talking in a faster, more Connery-esque fashion. Which for me actually works slightly better ;-). I hope....Bond will talk a bit faster in "SPECTRE". It seems that some of these takes weren't used.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Seriously, we *NEED* separate threads to let haters hate (yet express some acceptance) & lovers love (yet express some reservations) IMO.

But shouldn't lovers be able to properly defend their point of view, and haters likewise? Wouldn't we otherwise all naturally gravite to like minded forums or threads only with people who share our viewpoint, and consequently become more close minded? That would be boring, no.....Just saying....

I agree that debate should be allowed. I don't think these should be cheerleading threads. I like SF a whole lot, but it's not perfect.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited January 2015 Posts: 12,459
    I have not been on here in a while.
    This is an appreciation thread. And it needs to stay that way. It is not a debate theread. There are other threads to debate Skyfall and also now a "things I can't stand" thread where you can rip it apart there. But debate does not belong here. NOT strong debate, no. Some discussion, but not heated debates, no. Same for any appreciation thread.

You can call it a "cheerleading" thread because it is about appreciation. Nothing wrong with it staying on topic like that.

So, yes, you are correct @doubleoego.
    Uhm? Guys? I posted five wunderful videos L-)
    I know and thank you!!!! I have not watched them yet, in a rush right this second - but I will. :) :-bd I do love Skyfall; it is still one of my favorite Bond films.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 1,146
    I have not been on here in a while.
    This is an appreciation thread. And it needs to stay that way. It is not a debate theread. There are other threads to debate Skyfall and also now a "things I can't stand" thread where you can rip it apart there. But debate does not belong here. NOT strong debate, no. Some discussion, but not heated debates, no. Same for any appreciation thread.

You can call it a "cheerleading" thread because it is about appreciation. Nothing wrong with it staying on topic like that.

So, yes, you are correct @doubleoego.

That's your opinion, sir. I think that while very one remains polite, respectful debate is a healthy thing. I think you're trying to re-interpret the term appreciation, but only with regard to those opinions you concur with. Stifling other opinions (if they are presented respectfully) is in my opinion censorship.
    That is more than my opinion, that is the objective of an appreciation thread. Some discussion is fine. A strong debate is not appropriate.
    Appreciation is a matter of interpretation. Analysis begets appreciation.
    Appreciation is a matter of interpretation. Analysis begets appreciation.

I tend to agree with you but you have to be aware that not everyone sees it that way.
    edited January 2015 Posts: 12,459
    At least you are consistently predictable. Even when wrong.

An appreciation thread is specifically for appreciation. It is not a generic thread for big debates or counterpoints. Read @doubleoego's post above again. In part he said, This isn't a generic thread, it's specific as indicated by the fact it's an appreciation thread. When common courtesy of following and adhering to basic rules are abandoned things become chaotic, needlessly annoying and not fun at all.
    True words. Strong negative debate is not appropriate. End of. Simply do your debating or reasoning of negatives on other threads. They are available.
    I understand but if someone does not want to debate, they simply don't have to. There are posters that simply post what they think after and during a debate, no one is hurt and the productive debate can continue.
    Not on an appreciation thread. No.
    Again, your opinion. You can just ignore any posts you agree with, sir, just like I don't post on threads that do not interest me. There's no rudeness or disrespect here, simply people posting differing opinions. Nothing wrong with that as long as courtesy is observed.
    *sigh* :-S
    appreciation
    əpriːʃɪˈeɪʃ(ə)n,-sɪ-/
    noun
    noun: appreciation; plural noun: appreciations

recognition and enjoyment of the good qualities of someone or something.