GOTHAM (TV Series 2014 – )

Comments

• edited October 2014 Posts: 1,107
    I'm watching Rebels each week. I've not been disappointed yet.

Good to now :) Im looking forward to it.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I'm a fan of this format of TV viewing as well, though I usually end up binge watching shows instead of taking them in small doses. That's one of the best things about streaming services like Netflix: no need to wait week to week, as sometimes it can be killer. I'm going through Longmire like this at the moment, one hell of a show. I pray to the television Gods that this show finds a home on another network that deserves the show's high levels of acting, writing, cinematography and more. A&E: what a bunch of imbeciles.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 14,799
    I watched, or half watched episode two last night, out pure chance. I cannot say I am enthusiastic about a Batman series without Batman, even though I loved Gotham Central. It is like watching Hamlet without the Prince of Denmark in it. And the Penguin is more like the Joker.
    I'm a fan of this format of TV viewing as well, though I usually end up binge watching shows instead of taking them in small doses. That's one of the best things about streaming services like Netflix: no need to wait week to week, as sometimes it can be killer. I'm going through Longmire like this at the moment, one hell of a show. I pray to the television Gods that this show finds a home on another network that deserves the show's high levels of acting, writing, cinematography and more. A&E: what a bunch of imbeciles.

I recently started watching Longmire, and I have to say this is one of the best TV shows to come along in quite a while.
    Reason Why I watch it because the son of Former Dr.Who Late Jon Pertwee Sean is in it. He finally in Hollywood. Remember in him as Marcus Brutus in Cleopatra Where Timothy Dalton was Julie Caesar Who he stabbed to death well as the The Phantom Ghost who was star Billy Zane. Sean Pertwee is not bad. He could had made 9th Doctor following his father footsteps. My favourite Batman is Adam West.
    Agent7F wrote: »
    Reason Why I watch it because the son of Former Dr.Who Late Jon Pertwee Sean is in it. He finally in Hollywood. Remember in him as Marcus Brutus in Cleopatra Where Timothy Dalton was Julie Caesar Who he stabbed to death well as the The Phantom Ghost who was star Billy Zane. Sean Pertwee is not bad. He could had made 9th Doctor following his father footsteps. My favourite Batman is Adam West.

I am a big fan of Jon Pertwee and his father is my favorite Doctor. My favorite Batman is Michael Keaton he's my favorite actor and Batman 1989 was the first movie I saw.Batman changed my life forever I identify with him when I was like six year old I was walking with my parents home late at night suddenly two guys appears in front of us one of them had a gun and he grab my mother and wanted money from my father or else he will kill her ! So my father give them his wallet and they run away.
    I thought this was the best episode of the series so far. Ben Edlund has never let me down yet. Some great stuff here. And yeah, the ending rocked. I thought they were going to drag the whole Gordon-arrested thing out, but they got right down to it.

Really interesting seeing Bullock back when he still gave a damn.
    And it looks like younger Bullock was like Gordon, before becoming losing hope.
    And Jim will bring it back to him.
    -Nygma miss Cringle scene : very BTAS-y
    The most interesting thing, though, was how we got the origin of the Batman concept here. It was no accident that the Spirit of the Goat cowl resembles Batman's. As Dr. Marks said, the purpose of the Spirit was to create a mysterious and seemingly all-powerful and immortal spirit of "justice" to keep the rich and greedy in line by making them terrified of it. Batman operates the exact same way, except with criminals instead of the 1%.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    This episode succeeded for me because of one very important thing: No Fish Mooney.
    This episode succeeded for me because of one very important thing: No Fish Mooney.

Yes !! The episode was so much better without her.
    I think everything after episode 6 changes.......with Gordon refusal to kill penguin on the orders of Falcone controlling the mayor and likely the police force. He will start to become his journey to rise up the ranks and fight corruption in the city...

Perhaps producer have no plan in seeing a young batman fighting Falcone and Maloni as they likely in jail or dead.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I'm bettin' that "Penguin's really the Joker!" theory was pretty much blasted out of the water at the end of the episode.
    I'm bettin' that "Penguin's really the Joker!" theory was pretty much blasted out of the water at the end of the episode.

That was the weirdest theory I have ever heard.
    It was the stupidest theory I heard. The sad thing was, it made a little bit of sense.
    From what I saw Penguin is far too much like the Joker, hence the stupid theory.
    That's why it made sense. that, and I could easily see the actor wearing Joker make-up.
    They should have taken this approach then. I don't like the fact that too many things seem to be happening before Batman came to be. Some of his enemies will be elderly when he starts!
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 2,341
    Ludovico wrote: »
    They should have taken this approach then. I don't like the fact that too many things seem to be happening before Batman came to be. Some of his enemies will be elderly when he starts!

I agree. They should concentrate on the Falcon/Moroni/Fish storylines and not so much on characters we all know and love. I would assume that Catwoman, Joker are closer in age to Bruce/Batman while Penguin and Riddler are older?
    I recall that Penguin was played by a sixty-something Burgess Meredith in the old TV series thus he would be older than Bruce....I dunno.
    Considering Young Bruce's already fantastic detective skills, it wouldn't surprise me if we have a teenage Batman if the show gets past one season.
    OHMSS69 wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »

I agree. They should concentrate on the Falcon/Moroni/Fish storylines and not so much on characters we all know and love. I would assume that Catwoman, Joker are closer in age to Bruce/Batman while Penguin and Riddler are older?
    I recall that Penguin was played by a sixty-something Burgess Meredith in the old TV series thus he would be older than Bruce....I dunno.

Some of his enemies are older, but not all. And to a degree. I think the Penguin is in the right age rage, but he's written like the Joker. And too many characters are too old compared to Bruce Wayne.
    Cool. Scarecrow is very underutilized outside of the comics.
    Cool. Scarecrow is very underutilized outside of the comics.

Agreed.
    I wish they'd introduce Batman soon.
    This show should definitely end with Bruce putting on the cowl. Yes, the show is not about Batman's origins, but it's about Gotham's origins, and the introduction of Batman is when Gotham becomes the city we all know. It's the line at which you can have a story that's about Gotham and not specifically about Batman, because once Batman's there, that's all you want to focus on.

The only factor that will decide if it happens is if the show runs long enough. If Bruce is 12 now, we're gonna need at least 10 seasons. Perhaps they could do less if they use a time gap here and there, but I'd really want them to keep the same actors.

Gotham in my opinion is told through the eye's of Jim Gordon. It's not about Bruce Wayne or any one character. The show is about Gordon and his rise from detective to Police Commissioner. Through his eyes we got to see where all the characters go and what leads them to being where they are when Batman first makes an appearance.

We will see a Bruce grow up through the eyes of Gordon. While we as fans will see hints of what he is becoming we won't get any more then that. We will hear about a masked vigilant taking down criminals but never see Batman. I think the last season will have Gordon trying to find out who is the vigilant is. By the end of it we will see Batman and Gordon form an alliance. However we will never truly see Bruce Wayne become Batman. The story is about Jim Gordon not Batman. The only reason we will see Batman in final episode is because they will established the reason why he choose to form an alliance with Batman.

Beyond that where going to get very little in the way of Batman. I think what they are doing is bloody brilliant.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 1,107
    This episode was tremendous. This is what Ive wanted the show to be since day one. I mean i get it that they have to build things up but I think an increased focus on the mob and gang war is good for the show. Keep it more serialized than episodic so that your hooked from week to week.

Also, Zaasz was by FAR the best villain in this sho. He was pure SCARY.

Penguin is sooooooo awesome. As a long time Penguin fan since childhood it's great to see his potential be lived up to as a bad ass villain in this show. In that opening scene where you see him waddling along with his umbrella, two henchmen at his side, and that kind of comical music theme that the villains of the 60's TV show had, I smiled big time. I hope 'ol waddle foot gets a new level of respect from some Batman fans who unfairly dismiss him as a lesser villain.
    Oh and Alfred really should hire more security guards (maybe he has) but it's pretty badass (and a shock) to see him throw Crispus up against the car window.Military Alfred! Heck yeah!

Highlight of the episode:

Zaasz: Everyone out.

**Everyone just stares at each other**

Zsaaz: PLEASE?

**Everyone flees the station**

Damn, why would anyone wanna be a cop in Gotham?

And next week's preview ...

Bruce: "Alfred, can you teach me to fight?"

Alfred: "Yes, I can."
    Even Fish wasn't irritating, I was very impressed.
    Even Fish wasn't irritating, I was very impressed.

Penguin will kill Fish, I predict now.
    I would rejoice, if that happens. It would be so very fitting, and I'd love it.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Urgh! Barbara was so friggin' annoying. After everything the selfish moose decides to come back and mesmerise things up for Jim. Honestly, if it was a child I'd be more understanding but damn, I would have been like, "you know what we discussed this at length. I put you on the bus myself and now you're in this situation? Deal with it!"

Some hostages who put themselves in danger knowingly deserve what ever happens when they've compromised everything from going to a favourable plan.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Urgh! Barbara was so friggin' annoying. After everything the selfish moose decides to come back and mesmerise things up for Jim. Honestly, if it was a child I'd be more understanding but damn, I would have been like, "you know what we discussed this at length. I put you on the bus myself and now you're in this situation? Deal with it!"

Some hostages who put themselves in danger knowingly deserve what ever happens when they've compromised everything from going to a favourable plan.

I agree there are only two characters I find annoying Fish and Barbara.