Steve Cole's New Young Bond Novels Series - Reviews and Discussion

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    As much as I think that would be great (it would fun and interesting for sure), I don't think it will happen in reality. I just cannot see established authors auditioning for the gig.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 2,594
    So, "Shoot To Kill" comes out on the 6th of next month. I wonder if I should pre-order it from Amazon UK. Would I perhaps get it for cheaper if I pre ordered it? I wonder if I should read some reviews before I purchase it. I don't want spoilers though. I wonder if a non spoiler review thread could be set up. The same goes for the new adult Bond book.

It's always interesting to read the reviews regarding a new Bond author's work. Will it be overwhelmingly positive, mediocre, or a complete s**t storm? Let's hope for the former. I wonder if Cole is nervous. I would be. I'm certainly not suggesting that Cole's book will be poor, it may be wonderful but it would still be a nerve wracking time.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Higson's YB books were fantastic and he demonstrated a true understanding of the character and the period of that time while showing enormous respect and upholding the legacy of what Fleming created. That said, Cole is a fantastic writer in his own right and I wish him all the best with this new novel because I want to enjoy it but for any contributor continuing the work of someone who is beloved it can be a scary time so here's hoping we're all happy.
    Bounine-Unless you're in the U.S. and prepared to wait up to one year, I'd order the U.K. version. I enjoy reading the book the way the author intended and in proper English spelling and word usage. I just checked on Amazon U.K. and it looks like they're only doing audio book per-ordering at this point. But I will check in another few days and see if the print version is ready for sale. Not that familiar with Steve Cole's style, but looking forward to getting it.
    Hasn't there usually been more promotion for the Young Bond books around this time?

@FLeiter I would never order the US version if the US publishers have the spelling changed around and other things for their US readers. I didn't know they did this.

I'm wondering if I should read some reviews first, before I buy this book.
    I met Charlie Higson once and he told me it takes about a year for editors to go thru the original and 'Americanize' it. Colour=color, boot=trunk, etc... and the loo, lorry, water closet which Americans stumble over. I ordered the last 4 YB novels from the U.K. and they are great. I'll be ordering the new one asap.
    Higly amused by the Americanization process, it sounds like they cannot read English.
    Reading is something many Americans consider a burden. And speaking English can be tough also.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    So that's where the hatred of subtitled movies stems from.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited October 2014 Posts: 28,694
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Higly amused by the Americanization process, it sounds like they cannot read English.
    FLeiter wrote: »
    Reading is something many Americans consider a burden. And speaking English can be tough also.

Wow, thank you gents for meeting today's quota of generalized nonsense. I had no idea for all my 21 years on this earth that I was such an illiterate dunce. Thanks for enlightening my fellow countrymen and I on this matter. 8-|

Wow, thank you gents for meeting today's quota of generalized nonsense. I had no idea for all my 21 years on this earth that I was such an illiterate dunce. Thanks for enlightening my fellow countrymen and I on this matter. 8-|

I'll second that with you. Either way quite proud being an American.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I met Charlie Higson once and he told me it takes about a year for editors to go thru the original and 'Americanize' it. Colour=color, boot=trunk, etc... and the loo, lorry, water closet which Americans stumble over. I ordered the last 4 YB novels from the U.K. and they are great. I'll be ordering the new one asap.

They also Americanized Ian Fleming's James Bond novels before publication in the US so I fail to see any big issue here. Move along folks...
    Dragonpol wrote: »

They also Americanized Ian Fleming's James Bond novels before publication in the US so I fail to see any big issue here. Move along folks...

You have got to admit that the process sounds odd, it is not as if Americans do not understand English and as 007 is English they should enjoy the Britishness.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

You have got to admit that the process sounds odd, it is not as if Americans do not understand English and as 007 is English they should enjoy the Britishness.

Well, Americans have their own words for various things - wash room for toilet for example. It's like how Austrian and German have minute differences too. I see no big problem with this although I agree that the quaintness of the English language is preferable.
    It certainly wouldn't be the end of the world reading a British written novel where the words and spelling have been changed for the American market as I still know what they all mean but I'll always prefer the British version. The same goes for any language. If I wanted to read an American written novel, then I'd want to read the American version and not a British version although I'm not actually sure if the British change American words into British ones for the purpose of the UK market.

Where are you from just out of interest? :)

USA...where any food with gravy is considered French.
    You must be the first American I've come across, even if it is only via the web, who doesn't seem to be too keen on his home country. That's certainly not a criticism. Just saying. :)
    Love the country, but it's not without its flaws. Traveled enough around the world to know the beauty of other countries and the positives things each provide. The average US citizen is quite provincial and thinks the world revolves around them. Thankfully, it doesn't.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    That's quite interesting to hear, @FLeiter, and I share some of your contempt there. One thing I have never been called is "patriotic."
    The poster for Steve Cole's Shoot to Kill has been released:

http://www.tjbd.co.uk/news/poster-for-shoot-to-kill-released.htm
    That's quite interesting to hear, @FLeiter, and I share some of your contempt there. One thing I have never been called is "patriotic."

Taking it back to the Young Bond series, I wonder if Steve Cole will delve into Bond's development of 'patriotism' thru his teen years. Because he is an orphan and probably doesn't get much from his aunt in the brief times they are together. Is he exposed much to it at school with his friends? However his friends are not all English. He is very aware of his surroundings and what other people are doing/saying. Will his search for stability(family) only be fulfilled by government service?

I have a Swiss friend who is a security team leader for the Italian automaker chairman, he tells me 'patriotism' is different than doing 'your job'. Will Bond take out a bad guy simply because he is a bad guy or must he be a threat to the country? Remains to be seen.

I would say Bond is much more a man of the world. Obviously, as he is employed by Britain and has a duty as a 00 to protect their interests and safety whenever trouble crops up, he also sticks his neck out for other nations, especially the US. Often he simply saves the entire world from destruction, and not just one country, so I'd say he is both patriotic and dutiful to the realm he serves and also protective of the entire world when a baddie rears their head.
    I would say Bond is much more a man of the world. Obviously, as he is employed by Britain and has a duty as a 00 to protect their interests and safety whenever trouble crops up, he also sticks his neck out for other nations, especially the US. Often he simply saves the entire world from destruction, and not just one country, so I'd say he is both patriotic and dutiful to the realm he serves and also protective of the entire world when a baddie rears their head.

But Cole is writing about a teen finding his way in the world, he is nowhere near the Ian Fleming James Bond.

So I am kind of curious if we get to see Bond run into moral choices he makes and if they work for him.

These books are about James growing up and if he is already like his grown up version I take pass on the work.

I'm not going to order this book until I've read reviews, hopefully spoiler free. I just hope that the book price doesn't increase too much, presuming it will at all, upon it's transition from "pre order" to "order". Even if it gets bad reviews, I'll still eventually read it as it's Bond, but I'll wait until it comes out in paperback.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Thanks for all the childish American hate. Haven't heard one American yet making any derogatory remarks against our cousins. I have family in the UK and Texas love both countries ...but that's a huge sore spot with me.

Case in point the bias against ever having an American director for Bond. Don't recall one American griping about a Brit directing Batman. Stop the hate.
    mcdonbb wrote: »

Case in point the bias against ever having an American director for Bond. Don't recall one American griping about a Brit directing Batman. Stop the hate.

Well the Britt did deliver so that says something I guess.

I was just surprised that British books get altered for a US release, I do as a reader do not see any benefit from such an action.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    He did deliver. And idk ...seems unnecessary. I'd rather it not be edited into American English...
  • Campbell2Campbell2 Epsilon Rho Rho house, Bending State University
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    He did deliver. And idk ...seems unnecessary. I'd rather it not be edited into American English...

Agree there. Aren't we supposed to speak the same language? My oh my, why is that necessary? Do they do it with American writers published in the UK too???

• edited November 2014 Posts: 2,594
    Not sure if they do this with American writers in The UK. I'd be a bit surprised if they do.

The British founded America. At what point did "organised" change to "organized", "colour" to "color" and "boot" to "trunk"? :)