GOTHAM (TV Series 2014 – )

Comments

Really enjoyed last nights episode. Probably the best of the bunch so far. This Wayne Enterprises subplot can get very interesting if done right.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    That would be... Stupid. I think the the guy who plays him makes a crappy Penguin, he'd be worse as the Joker.
    Morena Baccarin, Emmy nominated for her work on “Homeland”, has joined the cast of FOX’s DC Comics inspired series, “Gotham”! Deadline has the news, reporting that the “Firefly” star will make her debut during season one with plans for her character to act as a series regular starting in season two.

Baccarin will play Dr. Leslie Thompkins, a medical colleague of Bruce Wayne’s father. The character made her debut in the comics in 1976 in the pages of “Detective Comics” #457. Created by Dennis O’Neil and artist Dick Giordano, Thompkins has, in the “New 52″ continuity, been recently appearing in flashback sequences in “Red Hood and the Outlaws”.

In “Gotham,” Baccarin’s Thompkins will be seen working at Arkham Asylum with plans for the character to become an ally of Detective James Gordon.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Why Gotham deserves to be given a chance:

Good acting, Fish Mooney aside.
    Why Gotham deserves to be given a chance:

Good acting, Fish Mooney aside.

Yeah I hate Fish Money !
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 12,837
    I read that article and I see where they're coming from. It's a new show and it's probably still finding it's feet. But I actually found myself agreeing more with the comments

"I always try to give new shows 2-4 episodes before I know if I want to carry on watching them or now. Sadly, for me Gotham barely lasted the two. The pilot obviously had its problems with trying to introduce so many characters - though I prefer the idea that the supervillains only start showing up because Batman appeared in the first place - but the overload of characters was just the tip of the iceberg of issues I had with it all. The majority of the acting was bad (I usually like Sean Pertwee but he's terrible in this), the cast in general don't seem to gel and the set design is well below my expectations given that it was being compared to Burton's films. I mean, it's Gotham for God's sake! It's like they didn't even try to make it look different to New York. The writing and dialogue in particular were awful - every line seemed full of exposition to the point where it seemed every person was introduced with a "Is that you Detective Harvey Bullock? You still a tough-talking maverick who doesn't play by the rules?" This is all just from the pilot as well."

" And for f$%ks sake why does Salina Kyle do the slinky sexy catwoman moves every time she enters a scene? She's a flippin child and not catwoman yet. Show her as a normal, but clever and capable kid and let her develop. That would be interesting. The show has not concept of subtly or depth. It's bad. However, it has a great cast so the bad is really tolerable. I will say that it has the best Riddler and Penguin that we've seen in live-action to date, they are perfect."

"I actually can't remember the last time a show turned me off quite so quickly. After episode 1, I just felt I couldn't be bothered. I couldn't be bothered with any more blunt allusions to future villainy, or any more cliched police procedural. Or any more of child Bruce Wayne. I could just see the sheer inevitability of the show stretching ahead: hinting at fun stuff but never being able to show it, so instead going down an increasingly complex and dull Wayne Murder storyline that could never be truly solved until the show came to a planned end.

Classic rule in storytelling: is this the most interesting point in a persons life? If no, then don't tell the story. And Gotham does not show the most interesting point for the city,or any of the characters. I already know how it will end. And I can't be bothered with an incredibly prolonged prologue. So I'm out."

Pretty much sums up my thoughts sadly. Some good performances (think the guy playing Penguin is great and I really like Bullock), but overall it's pretty crap. Cliched, badly written and full of references that make the ones in Die Another Day look subtle. Shame because I was looking forward to it.

I don't see the point in watching all 20 odd episodes of it (that'

EDIT: Oh ffs really? This has happened a few times now. I try to write long detailed post then the site fucks up and misses a lot of it out. I never had this problem with the old layout, why does this keep happening? I'm on my phone, which has ios 8, but I'm using the "full site" option (it doesn't let me post when I use the mobile site). Does that have anything to do with it?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I thought the new episode was okay. I knew from the start the venom serum would be introduced, but I didn't like how over-the-top the effects of viper were. This is the most comic-booky episode yet, but it does succeed in capturing the bizarre world of Gotham where anything can happen.

While I wasn't too keen on the whole viper plot and its side effects, this episode did so much other stuff well.

I loved seeing Alfred and Bruce finally getting on the same page and working together now to untwine the corruption surrounding Wayne Enterprises. Seeing Bruce glued to the files in the study reminds me of the man he grows into becoming, staring for hours on end at the batcomputer to uncover leads in cases. The writes are doing a great job of setting him up as the world's greatest detective.

I also love Maroni in this show, and the great conflict he and Falcone have. He's a great character and well casted, so I can't wait to see more of him down the line.

The ending with Falcone being baited by Mooney's "protege" was also extremely well done, and made me grin ear to ear. The scene gave some heart and humanity to a rather intimidating Godfather-like figure, and really helped to characterize him even more.

However, as many have said, Fish Mooney is just plain infuriating. JPS is just so annoying in her line deliveries that you get the feeling she loves to hear herself talk, and we have to suffer through it. I look forward to her character getting killed off, whenever that may be (probably not for a while, unfortunately).

I hope next week we get a follow-up with Selena, as she seemed to have stolen a very important item from that man's suit pocket early in the episode.

All in all, I love the show and am happy to see it doing so well in viewing numbers.
    Fish seems out of place, so far. All the other characters, even the ones that are ridiculous, still don't come across as cheesy in their performance quite like she does. I mean, I guess Cobblepot does...but he's a sociopath and his random killing balances it out for me.

Like, for example, look at how Carmine Falcone came across compared to how she does. Even Maroni, while probably being a little stereotypical, seemed like the type of person that could run an organization.
    Yeah I hope somebody kills her at the end of the season.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Dalton12 wrote: »
    Fish seems out of place, so far. All the other characters, even the ones that are ridiculous, still don't come across as cheesy in their performance quite like she does. I mean, I guess Cobblepot does...but he's a sociopath and his random killing balances it out for me.

Like, for example, look at how Carmine Falcone came across compared to how she does. Even Maroni, while probably being a little stereotypical, seemed like the type of person that could run an organization.

I get the feeling the whole reason Mooney is training this protege of hers in the "tools of the trade" so to speak is because she suspects she might die soon and wants someone to take over when she's gone. Does anybody else think this?

I get the feeling the whole reason Mooney is training this protege of hers in the "tools of the trade" so to speak is because she suspects she might die soon and wants someone to take over when she's gone. Does anybody else think this?

Fish Mooney Turned Liza Into Falcone's Mother, But Why? 'Gotham' Put a Strange Twist on a Simple Plan
    http://www.bustle.com/articles/45144-fish-mooney-turned-liza-into-falcones-mother-but-why-gotham-put-a-strange-twist-on-a
    I literally don't know what to say about that. It makes no sense.

What doesn't? The article's argument or what Mooney's actual plan is?

The way I figure it, Mooney's trying to use Liza as a fly on the wall. She made her look and feel appealing to someone like Falcone who would be attracted to her simply because she reminds him of his mother. Because of this, he will take interest in her and the pair will grow closer. So maybe Fish wants Liza to get close to Falcone, and as Liza does Mooney will have her sharing information about the crime family's operations in order to make sure they fail, gaining her more control. I could even see Mooney trying to make Falcone feel protective of Liza, and when their relationship has become like a father-daughter one she'll kill Liza to make Falcone feel discombobulated and broken. I don't think that's likely, but I've thought about this a lot and haven't come up with much else.
    I didn't read the article. Connection problems. I was just going by the title.

What doesn't? The article's argument or what Mooney's actual plan is?

The way I figure it, Mooney's trying to use Liza as a fly on the wall. She made her look and feel appealing to someone like Falcone who would be attracted to her simply because she reminds him of his mother. Because of this, he will take interest in her and the pair will grow closer. So maybe Fish wants Liza to get close to Falcone, and as Liza does Mooney will have her sharing information about the crime family's operations in order to make sure they fail, gaining her more control. I could even see Mooney trying to make Falcone feel protective of Liza, and when their relationship has become like a father-daughter one she'll kill Liza to make Falcone feel discombobulated and broken. I don't think that's likely, but I've thought about this a lot and haven't come up with much else.

I thought the same thing.
    BATMAN & ROBIN Director Joel Schumacher Returning To Gotham?!

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=109898

Good lord, that almost gave me a heart attack. For a second there I thought Bruno Heller was bringing him on to direct a Gotham episode... #:-S
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 1,107

Good lord, that almost gave me a heart attack. For a second there I thought Bruno Heller was bringing him on to direct a Gotham episode... #:-S

That was my intention :D I thought too they got him to direct an episode of Gotham .

That was my intention :D I thought too they got him to direct an episode of Gotham .

This only proves that you're more evil than Fish Mooney, Falcone, Maroni and Penguin combined. ;)

This only proves that you're more evil than Fish Mooney, Falcone, Maroni and Penguin combined. ;)

Yop I am an evil mastermind :)
    Pretty much given up on Gotham, rather rewatch the animated series with Batman in it.
    Pretty much given up on Gotham, rather rewatch the animated series with Batman in it.

The Animated Series is one of the best adaptation of Batman .
    It really was. Gotham's not bad, though, it's just going through season one pains.
    Still recording the episodes, often with a series ill record then wait till later to watch it in blocks. ill try to watch it at some point probably.
    Watching some shows in blocks really helps. I recently got into the show "Heroes", and I heard so many bad things about seasons 2-4, but I didn't mind them. Now, that may just be matter of opinion, or it may be because I watched them on DVD where I didn't have to wait a week to watch the next episode.
    Agree it was 24 that got me watching several episodes in a block, done it ever since. Find i get into the story more not having to wait. Heroes season 1 was so good it was always going to be difficult to maintain that level. Season 2 got split in half (due to writers strike) so technically half of Season 2 is ten episodes or so of season 3. Season 4 suffered because of budget cuts. Be interesting to see what the new Heroes tv show will be like.
    Agree it was 24 that got me watching several episodes in a block, done it ever since. Find i get into the story more not having to wait. Heroes season 1 was so good it was always going to be difficult to maintain that level. Season 2 got split in half (due to writers strike) so technically half of Season 2 is ten episodes or so of season 3. Season 4 suffered because of budget cuts. Be interesting to see what the new Heroes tv show will be like.

Yeah I agree sometimes the waiting is killing me . I'm doing it with Star Wars Rebels I wait till the first season ends then I watch it.
    I'm watching Rebels each week. I've not been disappointed yet.
    I work shifts so i often don't even check what i am recording, then ill occasionally check and be pleasantly surprised that i have several episodes from my favourite shows to watch, when i have a lazy day. lol