GOTHAM (TV Series 2014 – )

Comments

• edited October 2014 Posts: 1,107
    Episode 4 was good Arkham looks fantastic.The Bruce scenes are still the most exciting for me and I must also say that David Mazouz portrays him excellently.
    I like Gotham. I missed the last two episodes but plan to get caught up next week.
    I never even noticed this, but Gotham uses the same location for Wayne Manor as Batman Forever.

5yyus9.jpg
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Bloody hell! I knew I recognized that place!
    Even though i have no interest in watching this particular show? That is a nice touch! :-bd
    The concept reminds me of the Lois & Clark TV show-- where they tried to emphasize on the Daily Planet instead of Superman. But of course, Superman was still in that stupid show!!!
    If they don't find a way to eventually have Batman, I can't see this show lasting too long.
    There's no problem at all with bringing GCPD into more of the spotlight, but it should be to make us appreciate their relationship with Batman; it shouldn't be just about them and the villains! BATMAN

Lois & Clark I watched with my wife until they came up with the supremely lame vilain "wedding destroyer". Anyone remember that? A whole 5 seconds after the "wedding destroyer" appeared, we shut the tv off and never came back to Lois & Clark. Funny anectode about it, I have a tendency to pull the sheets of the bed on my side when I sleep, so my wife calls me "the bed destroyer", inspired evidently from Lois & Clark.

It was that bad.

Almost all villains from that show were lame.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    That show was lame. I liked the idea of focusing more on Clark and Lois than Superman and Lois, but the execution was simply poor.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Dalton12 wrote: »

I'm so happy to see how well Gotham has been doing worldwide. May its success continue.
  • the pilot seemed a bit hacked and forced to introduce a lot of characters to have 'us hooked.' 'I'm Ivy' etc. Penguin was awesome though. Maybe it's me, but it does feel like a show for simpletons.
    They were trying to walk the fine line between too many Batman references and not enough Batman references. Put in too many, people complain. Put in too few and it's another procedural drama based on cops in a city that just happens to be called Gotham.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I like how they've presented the characters so far. They've buried Nigma and Ivy in there in a very subtle way (especially for those who don't read the comics), and over time they can mold them and bring them deeper into the show.

I love the show's take on Penguin, one of my favorite aspects of it. I can't wait to see Bullock's face when he finds out Jim played him. And as everyone else has said, Arkham looks brilliant.
    I love, in particular, the show's variation on Edward Nygma. I like the idea of him as a PD forensics officer. Selina Kyle was crap in the pilot and then worked very well in her following appearances. My only problem is their take on Bruce and Gordon's relationship. I find it very difficult for this Gordon to not know that the weirdo with the yellow and black bat on his chest is Bruce Wayne.
    I'm a big fan of the actress cast as Selina, and can't wait to see the character developed more.

I see what you mean in regards to Gordon and Bruce, but we'll have to wait and see what comes of it. I think Gordon is only starting to realize just how much Bruce cares about the well being of Gotham, and their partnership will grow from there. It'll likely be Bruce who helps Gordon connect the crime families and the murder of the Waynes somehow, showing how apt a detective he is. I agree though, it shouldn't be too hard for Gordon to connect Batman to Bruce's passion for fighting corruption in Gotham, his massive inheritance that would allow him to get all the toys Batman does, and the fact that as soon as he arrives back in Gotham after years of international travel, Batman starts making a name for himself. Still, as an adult Bruce could act it up in front of him and pretend to be a slobby playboy who has lost touch with his boyhood dreams of cleaning up Gotham long ago, which might make Gordon unable to see through the disguise.

I'd love to see a Gordon who knowingly aids Bruce and helps him when he transforms into Batman years afterwards, keeping the secret of his identity safe from the rest of the force. In every continuity Gordon finds out sometime anyway, so I'd love to see an adaption where he knows Bruce's secret from the very start.
    I'm a big fan of the actress cast as Selina, and can't wait to see the character developed more.

I see what you mean in regards to Gordon and Bruce, but we'll have to wait and see what comes of it. I think Gordon is only starting to realize just how much Bruce cares about the well being of Gotham, and their partnership will grow from there. It'll likely be Bruce who helps Gordon connect the crime families and the murder of the Waynes somehow, showing how apt a detective he is. I agree though, it shouldn't be too hard for Gordon to connect Batman to Bruce's passion for fighting corruption in Gotham, his massive inheritance that would allow him to get all the toys Batman does, and the fact that as soon as he arrives back in Gotham after years of international travel, Batman starts making a name for himself. Still, as an adult Bruce could act it up in front of him and pretend to be a slobby playboy who has lost touch with his boyhood dreams of cleaning up Gotham long ago, which might make Gordon unable to see through the disguise.

I'd love to see a Gordon who knowingly aids Bruce and helps him when he transforms into Batman years afterwards, keeping the secret of his identity safe from the rest of the force. In every continuity Gordon finds out sometime anyway, so I'd love to see an adaption where he knows Bruce's secret from the very start.

I agree. We have never, ever seen Bruce Wayne's childhood and growth, training, etc depicted in a gradual or extended manner on TV or film.

Even in BATMAN BEGINS, his origin was streamlined and all but rushed through.

It's long overdue we got a decent version of that story. I have enjoyed watching the evolution of young Bruce so far .They can show the path that Bruce Wayne took towards becoming Batman while showing all the villains slowly evolving into larger than life villains, the origins of Penguin, Two face, Riddler and (maybe) Joker.Also, the story of support characters associated with Bruce, Dr. Lesilie Thomkins, Dr. Hugo Strange, Alfred and Tommy Elliott.

Then there are minor villains like Dagget and Maraonis.

I'd love to see Tommy set up in the show, I hadn't even thought of that. You could even bury the lead of who he later becomes by having the death of his parents in the car crash he orchestrated becoming one of the cases Gordon hears about around the GCPD building.

I hope they don't adapt anything Joker related, especially since you can't have the true Joker until Bruce takes on the Batman mantle. It would be cool however, to see him in his Red Hood days as a recurring villain terrorizing Gotham now and again. Now THAT I would like.
  • I watched the pilot and I didn't really like it. Felt too much like a generic, cliche cop show. Not bad, just bland.

Also all the Batman references were cringe worthy. Have the writers of the show ever heard of subtlety?

It's not enough to just have a gangster called Cobblepot, everyone has to say he looks like a Penguin (even though he doesn't). Because look guys, it's The Penguin! It's not enough to have the little girl be called Ivy, she has to be standing with a plant in every shot because look, it's Poison Ivy! It's not enough to have a weird guy who loves puzzles called Nigma working at the police station, one of the characters has to remark that he's sick of his riddles because look guys, it's The Riddler! It all felt really forced and obvious. They should have been more subtle.

Also, is it me or was there no point in Catwoman even being in it? All she did was hang around in the background. Idk, maybe her watching the murder and all that will be important in a future episode. And again, it's not enough to just have a young theif called Selina Kyle. She has to wear the Catwoman costume and feed some cats in her first scene because look guys, it's Catwoman! So she was already Catwoman when she was a f***ing kid? Really?

There was some other stuff I didn't like too (the guy playing Gordon didn't impress me and Sean Pertwee was criminally underused).

Also, with so many Batman bad guys in this one (and more to come apparently, the writers say that they're going to introduce The Joker) it just seems pointless to me. They could have made an interesting show about gangsters and corrupt cops. Instead they made a generic buddy cop show and threw in some Batman villains and a young Bruce Wayne to get people interested. If you're going to have all these Batman villains then you may as well have just made a proper Batman TV show.

I was interested in this at first because I thought it was going to be about the Gotham police and their war with the mob. Instead it's a Batman show without Batman and what's the point in that?

And I liked the idea that Batman sort of created these villains, that they exist because he does (like The Joker in The Dark Knight or Arkham Origins). But instead they were all there being thwarted by Jim Gordon when Batman was still a kid?

And I liked the idea that Batman's parents being killed was just some random mugger and it could have happened to anyone because Gotham was a crime ridden shit hole, and that's why Bruce decided to become Batman, to clean it up. That made sense to me. Instead it seems like the whole thing is going to be some big story arc and that they were assassinated for a reason.

I might watch the next one but I'm not impressed so far and since there are plenty of better things to watch (The Walking Dead for one, which airs on the same day in the same timeslot as Gotham), I'm struggling to stay interested in it.
    Over here in the States, TWD and Gotham are one day apart.

You're on the pilot, and while the pilot is supposed to draw interest, it is by far not supposed to be the best episode of the series. And I mentioned above the fine line for the references that this show needs to walk. With Ivy, though, that was a case of poor naming. She should have been named Pamela, and been next to a plant.
    Reason For Recent "Queen Consolidated" Logo In GOTHAM Revealed; Will They Share Villains?
    Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=109461#fWlivj1K75dkTAh5.99
    There was a Queen Consolidated logo somewhere in Gotham? Missed it entirely. Probably just an Easter egg.
    PaleyFest NY 2014: Ben McKenzie, Donal Logue, Jada Pinkett Smith, Sean Pertwee, Robin Lord Taylor and Executive Producer Danny Cannon Talk GOTHAM
    Read more at http://collider.com/gotham-paleyfest-ny-recap/#EIquqyyTjlYgxksk.99
    I don't think the show is THAT obvious about all the characters, they just portrayed them as who they are.

Nigma loves proving how superior he is with puzzles, so what does he do for a living? He solves crimes at the GCPD.

Ivy is a lover of Mother Nature's green earth, a radical eco-maniac in the making, so what does she love being around? Plants; a perfect fit.

Selina's love of cats is well known in the comics, and she is a thief here because she is on the streets and needs to survive by whatever means, which is a staple of her character; again, that makes sense for her situation. And she doesn't have a Catwoman costume on at all here, just a leather jacket with a hood and pants, so I don't see how that statement could be made.

Cobblepot has a pointed nose and a waddle to his gait, so what is he often called (to his chagrin)? That's right, Penguin, which again, is perfect. This Cobblepot is completely true to the character, because in the comics Oswald was bullied relentlessly for his penguin like appearance early on in his childhood, and he grew to embrace the name as something for his bullies to fear when he finally took control in a stake of Gotham. Again, perfect.

My point with all this? Gotham isn't being "obvious" as much as they are simply being true to the characters they are including into the show. What else would Nigma do besides solve riddles? What else would Ivy love other than plants? And so on, and so on.
    I don't think the show is THAT obvious about all the characters, they just portrayed them as who they are.

Nigma loves proving how superior he is with puzzles, so what does he do for a living? He solves crimes at the GCPD.

Ivy is a lover of Mother Nature's green earth, a radical eco-maniac in the making, so what does she love being around? Plants; a perfect fit.

Selina's love of cats is well known in the comics, and she is a thief here because she is on the streets and needs to survive by whatever means, which is a staple of her character; again, that makes sense for her situation. And she doesn't have a Catwoman costume on at all here, just a leather jacket with a hood and pants, so I don't see how that statement could be made.

Cobblepot has a pointed nose and a waddle to his gait, so what is he often called (to his chagrin)? That's right, Penguin, which again, is perfect. This Cobblepot is completely true to the character, because in the comics Oswald was bullied relentlessly for his penguin like appearance early on in his childhood, and he grew to embrace the name as something for his bullies to fear when he finally took control in a stake of Gotham. Again, perfect.

My point with all this? Gotham isn't being "obvious" as much as they are simply being true to the characters they are including into the show. What else would Nigma do besides solve riddles? What else would Ivy love other than plants? And so on, and so on.

I agree you've got a point there.
    Ben McKenzie says 'Gotham' is the opposite of the original Batman
    I love the new episode ! This show's at its best when it's an odd blend of the Arkham games and the early BTAS episodes. So much dark humor and noirish sequences does this show good. And this episode moved a lot of plots forward: Cobblepott joining Maroni on a semi-sincere basis was good, and I loved the Godfather interrogation sequence, Bruce now has a mission to define his subplot for this part of the show, and Mooney's plans were more clearly laid out and moved forward, and I'd argue that having JPS display her more subtle acting skills expanded her character quite a bit. This show is pretty much a live action BTAS, and I'm totally okay with that (serious in its consequences, but aware of its absurd world). A good amount of camp in this show, but I'm loving it as they seem really aware of it. Bullock continues to be hilarious. I know it's not what a lot of people (including myself) expected, and the show certainly has issues but personally, I'm still loving it and its characterization of Gotham and its characters.

good episode all things considering... I like how they introduced venom. Totally did not expect that at all.I loved David Masouz's role in this episode. He really is a phenomenal actor, and his obsession with linking the corruption and criminal decadence of the city to his parents' murder and their role as philanthropists was really well-done and tied very nicely into the 'B' plot involving the drug Viper/Venom. Indirectly tying the drug to Wayne Enterprises was a brilliant creative move that gives Bruce a truly personal stake in things.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 2,341
    Maybe its just me but I would like to see less of Bruce Wayne and Alfred and concentrate on the other characters. We all know the Bruce Wayne/Batman story too well. I want to see more with the gang rivalry between the two crime families, I want to see Ivy developed, and give me the Riddler!
    OHMSS69 wrote: »
    Maybe its just me but I would like to see less of Bruce Wayne and Alfred and concentrate on the other characters. We all know the Bruce Wayne/Batman story too well. I want to see more with the gang rivalry between the two crime families, I want to see Ivy developed, and give me the Riddler!

I think people are being hyperbolic about just how much screentime Bruce has in this series.

So far, per episode, hes been in a scene or two, tops, and they're usually pretty brief, connective tissue stuff, not major plot-connected sequences.

We've seen Bruce as a child in other movies, sure.

Usually during or right before or after his parents' murder, but not much beyond that.

We've been informed for a long time that Bruce's childhood ended when his parents were killed.

We have not really ever seen this altered childhood and his ongoing learning process and acquisition of knowledge explored in an ongoing manner. Potentially even in the comics, though there have, in recent years, been more flashbacks to that time with the HUSH storyline, etc.

I would think it would be a pretty rich period in his life that could be mined for great story and character elements.

I don't remember Bruce training in BATMAN BEGINS. I remember him being told what ninjas do, how to use explosive powders and then he was hit with sticks in a flashback sequence, which I guess could be considered training. Oh, and then he could swordfight pretty well. I suppose that might be training. Or at least an implication that he had some.

But that is not, in any way shape or form, a complete portrayal of the character's "training" for his mission. It is a cliff-notes version of it. And it worked in BEGINS, but let's not pretend it cant be expanded on.
    Am I the only one not particularly caring about the Fish Mooney stuff? I'd rather see an all out mob war between Falcone and Maroni, because they've actually been interesting, well-acted characters. Fish Mooney, on the other hand, hasn't been either interesting or well-acted.
    Am I the only one not particularly caring about the Fish Mooney stuff? I'd rather see an all out mob war between Falcone and Maroni, because they've actually been interesting, well-acted characters. Fish Mooney, on the other hand, hasn't been either interesting or well-acted.

I hate Fish Mooney ! When people bring up Burton and Nolan for Gotham's inspiration, I also think the character for Fish Mooney came from Adam West's Batman. It's over the top/theatrical . I don't like the characer of Fish Mooney one bit. What annoys me is that the whole show seems to focus around her even more then around Gordon sometimes and all the while we have these great characters like Falcone and Moroni taking a backseat. This show should focus around established existing characters that already have a huge weight behind them.