Windows 8

DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
Dear members,
I have been asked by my employer to evaluate Windows 8 but I myself have limited experience with it. Personally I use Windows 7. The main question is: what are the advantages and disadvantages of switching from Windows 7 to Windows 8 on ordinary desktop computers, neither with touchscreens nor on tablets?.

Since many of you are vastly more skilled and educated in these matters, I decided to fuel my "research" with opinions and thoughts from the great members of this community. :-) All information is welcome. (For comparisons with Linux and such, please post here).

Thanks in advance! :-)

Comments

recently changed from Vista to 8, and am currently still finding out how 8 works after all these years of comfort that Vista provided.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 5,745
    I currently use Windows 8.1, but on a Surface Pro Tablet and not on a desktop. I haven't had any experience with it on the desktop, so I'm not sure what features stay and what features are different.

I believe they are mostly the same, save the touchscreen interface.

If that is the case, then I can honestly tell you, if it's not for a tablet/phone device, it is an essentially slicker, possibly faster Windows 7 with an extra 'app' interface that you can choose to ignore.

The 'desktop' screen is nearly identical to Windows 7, and I believe there is now a setting to make the the 'main' interface screen the desktop option. Your other option, the one I believe that is shipped as default, is a tiled app interface that lets you change the size and layout of your 'apps' (which still include things like Pictures, Microsoft Word, etc.). There is also a screen that you can navigate to from the app tiles that lets you see all of your computer applications and function, such as Downloads, Control Panel, etc. in a alphabetized list. If your navigating through the desktop mode, you still have the 'My Computer' way of finding files, etc. just as in Windows 7.

If your company is bringing on or currently have some more 'youthful' employees, perhaps inquiring among them about the possibility of a new operating system that they may be more comfortable or used to would be a great idea.

If you use a lot of Microsoft Word, Excel, etc., the most up to date versions are still compatible with Windows 7. In fact, most recent or new applications, systems, and programs are still compatible with Windows 7.

To sum it up, for a desktop, if you want to 'get ahead' and plan for the future and get an update out of the way, but want to stay with Windows, go with 8. It will be familiar enough, but you'll be ready for the possibility of the tech world dropping 7 (which it doesn't seem like it's planning to do too soon). But I wouldn't necessarily advise it. From a business point of view, its currently not worth the money to update. There isn't a need. It's great for a tablet or phone because of the touch screen, size, and mobility of those devices. Perhaps it's not quite necessary for the desktop yet. 7 is still just fine.

I've not worked with Linux, or any other OS besides Windows 7, 8, and 8.1.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Thanks guys, this has been useful so far.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    edited September 2014 Posts: 4,012
    I used to have only linux in my peronal pc but had to install Windows because if I wanted to open anything from work at home or while traveling it was a mess of monumental consequences (i.e. no compatibility). I love linux but I can tell my experience with the newer Windows OS.

Currently I have Windows 7 at work and 8.1 in my pe

EDIT: something happened and half my post disappeared! I'll come back later to fix it (damn windows 7, just kidding!).

EDIT II: ...continuing

Currently I have Windows 7 at work and 8.1 on my personal laptop. Here is my experience with the latest OS from Microsoft:

- Windows 7 - a bit slow, freezes a lot. We changed to 7 from Xp at work, Xp was great and I never had the problems I have with the new OS, using the same machine and the same programs. I think it's adequate for PC but not for tablet or anything with a touch screen.

- Windows 8 - in a word: rubbish! This is definitely not good for anything without a touch screen. It was slow, it had hardware compatibility problems, etc. The way windows are closed, by dragging the window, makes it very user-unfriendly. The multiple problems led many (including my parents) to dispair and go for an earlier OS version.

- Windows 8.1 - how is it possible that an upgrade changed so much for the better? I don't know, but it did. When I changed from Linux to W8.1 I was afraid, because Mint was very user-friendly and super fast but I was happily surprised by W8.1, which doesn't feel slugglish at all (most of all compared with W7 and W8). Even the Metro interface (I think that's the name) is not that bad once one gets used to it, and that is actually quite fast. Good for both PC and touch screen devices.

I hope this helps!

Disclaimer: I'm not an IT professional but I have used every single OS that Microsoft ever released (courtesy of my IT mom), UNIX and Linux systems.
    I have to say I'm surprised by the calm responses. The Internet is loaded with "windows 8 sucks" campaigns. Now I'm confused. ;-)
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I have to say I'm surprised by the calm responses. The Internet is loaded with "windows 8 sucks" campaigns. Now I'm confused. ;-)

which usually shouted by opponents of microsoft, but at the end they often are not that familiar with the software just with their own petpeeves.

For me Windows 8 is growing on me.

I use Windows 7 as well and have been very happy with it. I have tried Windows 8 on my parents laptops and didn't like it as well.

One thing you might keep in mind is that Microsoft has already announced the next version (Windows 9) or Threshold. I'd hate for your company to spend all that money to upgrade to 8 and then have to do it all over again. I believe the target release date is 2015 and this article even says it could be as early as April.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/new-product/windows/3496959/windows-9-release-date-price-features-threshold-uk-30-september-named/
    Upgrade 8 to 8.1 @Ed83, that's the only advice I can give. W8 was the biggest flop MS has ever released, it obviously wasn't even ready, I've worked with beta versions better than that. 8.1 however solved most of its problems, they are very different.
    Started using 8.1 can anyone recommend good apps to install?

Depends on what you need?! Apps is just another name for program.
    Sandy wrote: »

Depends on what you need?! Apps is just another name for program.

I know lol though thanks. Microsoft store appears limited.

If I have xp, am I still of this century :(|) ?
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 6,432
    boldfinger wrote: »
    If I have xp, am I still of this century :(|) ?

Xp completely vanished from my other laptop and then the laptop stopped working all together. Maybe it was coincidental? I was very happy with xp, windows 8.1 is running rings round me :-S
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I still have an XP. Works like a dream when the laptop decides to act like it's plugged in.
    I've been running Windows 8 for about a year now on a laptop. I don't mind it, but it's not perfect, as everyone knows.

For instance, the Start menu is downright atrocious, in my opinion. It's like opening up a collection of Tetris blocks that represent your applications. The annoying sidebar (featuring search, share, etc. features) gets in my way often, too.

It runs my applications smoothly, on the other hand. I've not had any major hiccup with it yet and it seems to update itself fine.
    Half of the start menu Tetris blocks just vanished :-S slowly getting used to windows 8.1
    I must admit I don't like it. Not for my kind of PC. I don't have a touch-screen and neither do I own let alone want to own a tablet, iPhone, iPad, whatever. So for now I'll just stick to my windows 7 and endure 8.1 at work.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I've got Windows 8.1 on my new laptop. Got too say I was not impressed. As mentioned the Start menu is simply awful. It's like a damned tablet. I don't like it. Still, there's been no problems, yet ;-)
    You don't need to use the Metro interface (Start menu tetris style) if you don't want to. There is some option to not use it, which I haven't activated, and still I hardly have to see it (only when I open and close).
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Really? I have to find it!