Anthony Horowitz's James Bond novel - Trigger Mortis

Comments

A good novel like a good song is one you recall later. Unfortunately there is hardly a thing about the efforts of Deaver, Faulks, or Boyd I recall. Those novels have not stayed with me the way Fleming's did. Hopefully the fourth time will charm. I enjoyed House of Silk, but then Sherlock Holmes is not difficult to pull off. Regardless, I greet this news more favorably than the past announcements. That it will include story elements that Fleming himself actually concocted is certainly a step in the right direction.

What hasn't gotten much play is the decision by the Fleming estate to keep passing Bond around. Anyone have any insight on this? Is it novelty, a way to generate periodic interest? It stands to reason a continuation author will eventually settle in.

Here's hoping the next novel succeeds and also bears a title that sounds as if it could be a Bond novel.

• edited October 2014 Posts: 4,622
    CrabKey wrote: »
    What hasn't gotten much play is the decision by the Fleming estate to keep passing Bond around. Anyone have any insight on this? Is it novelty, a way to generate periodic interest? It stands to reason a continuation author will eventually settle in.
    My guess is that they are only too aware of the less than enthusiastic response from readers that the last 3 authors have received.
    And they can read too. Surely they picked up themselves, on what was lacking with these later books.
    I think its just the Wint and Kidd approach...if at first you don't succeed, try try again.

==Bond in the world of Formula One Racing circa the 1950s; being a race-car driver in that era was as dangerous as Bond's profession.
    And yes, that would be a great touch to pen a villain in the Bernie Ecclestone image.
    That would be a howl. :))

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited October 2014 Posts: 17,727
    As I was at work today I sadly missed out on a chance for an interview with Channel 5 News on this breaking Bond story. I figure that the lady journalist must have got my email address and Google+ account through The Bondologist Blog. :)
    More from the BBC on Fleming's story idea.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-29442143

"Set at the Nurburgring in Germany, Murder on Wheels would have seen 007 thwart a Russian plot to cause racing legend Stirling Moss to crash.
    The treatment saw Moss appear as a character, with Bond's superior M and M's secretary Miss Moneypenny also featuring.

Horowitz, who resurrected Sherlock Holmes in his 2011 novel The House of Silk, is the latest in a series of high-profile authors to have penned new Bond novels.

Sebastian Faulks, Jeffery Deaver and William Boyd have also written "official" Bond novels, while Charlie Higson has penned a series of 'Young Bond' books about the character's teenage exploits.

While promoting his Sherlock Holmes novel The House of Silk in 2011, Horowitz suggested to the BBC News website he would be prepared to take on the task.

"I can't think of any other character in literature - except maybe James Bond - who would have tempted me," he said of Holmes, who will return later this year in his second Holmes novel, Moriarty."

_77941186_moss1_624getty.jpg
    Stirling Moss competing at the Nurburgring in 1958.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 2,594
    timmer wrote: »
    Villiers53 wrote: »
    In my opinion literary Bond would lack any relevance in a modern setting. The spy world has moved on and I don't think that Fleming's core attributes carry credence in modern times.
    I like the period piece, only because we are working with an actual Fleming story, or story outline, conceived back in the day at the height of Fleming Bond.
    But I do think Bond is a timeless character. A man of his integrity, talents, courage, loyalty and style, personal quirks and indulgences - those attributes can be adopted to any period.
    He may not smoke as much or even at all. He could certainly booze like a champ though. Hard drinking men have always existed.
    Womanizing is a timless pursuit. And if Fleming were writing today, there are no shortage of contemporary attitudes, that Fleming might relate to, that he could infuse his Bond with.
    One trick to writing the modern Bond I think, would be to put a man of Fleming's tendencies in the current context, and go from there.
    Bond could be just as ruthless, just as efficient, just as glib, and with knowledge of weaponry and tradecraft, as would befit a "now" 00 agent.
    The world is always a violent place. There is always need for blunt instrument of Bond's skills.

I agree. I like period pieces too though and reading a Bond period piece, providing it is well written, feels more atmospheric to me.

I'm glad it won't be called "Murder on Wheels". That title is a little too simple and cheesy for my taste.

I wonder how many unpublished works Fleming has or at least plot outlines. I don't want to know though. I loved how IFP kept this a secret and sprung it upon us. A nice surprise. Or maybe it is just me who hadn't heard of 'Murder on Wheels'. Either way, I hope for future Bond novels, that there will be extensions on Fleming's writing too. I hope his words are kept for this novel and weaved into the book nicely.

I too like the period they will put 007 back in and that on the back of an original Ian Fleming outline. It should be fun.
    Anthony Horowitz has confirmed on Twitter that the novel will not be called 'Murder on Wheels' but that a chapter in the novel will be called this (most likely the chapter containing the Fleming material). Horowitz also said that he only got four words of the new Bond novel written with all of the fuss of yesterday's announcement hitting the media, meaning that he is actually still writing the novel. I'd certainly advise interested members to follow Mr Horowitz on Twitter if they have not already done so in order that they may hear all the latest news on Project One.

I also read in The Times last night that Fleming's grand niece said that Fleming's original TV script treatment entitled 'Murder on Wheels' would be included as an appendix to the novel if fans so desired so let me add my voice to the campaign to make this so as this would be a Bond fan's dream come true - to read a new Fleming Bond piece - for the first time since November 1999 when forgotten Fleming short story '007 in New York' came in The Sunday Times Magazine.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I wonder how many TV scripts are out there. We should start a campaign to get all of them published.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited October 2014 Posts: 3,157
    I wonder how many TV scripts are out there. We should start a campaign to get all of them published.

I second this. Also, EON should get the rights to those scripts.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Anthony Horowitz has confirmed on Twitter that the novel will not be called 'Murder on Wheels' but that a chapter in the novel will be called this (most likely the chapter containing the Fleming material). Horowitz also said that he only got four words of the new Bond novel written with all of the fuss of yesterday's announcement hitting the media, meaning that he is actually still writing the novel. I'd certainly advise interested members to follow Mr Horowitz on Twitter if they have not already done so in order that they may hear all the latest news on Project One.

I also read in The Times last night that Fleming's grand niece said that Fleming's original TV script treatment entitled 'Murder on Wheels' would be included as an appendix to the novel if fans so desired so let me add my voice to the campaign to make this so as this would be a Bond fan's dream come true - to read a new Fleming Bond piece - for the first time since November 1999 when forgotten Fleming short story '007 in New York' came in The Sunday Times Magazine.
    "007 in New York" was published in Fleming's Thrilling Cities wasn't it?
    It was first published in the New York Herald Tribune in October 1963, according to wikiBond, although I never got around to reading it until it turned up in the expanded Bond short-story collections circa 2008.

"007 in New York" was published in Fleming's Thrilling Cities wasn't it?
    It was first published in the New York Herald Tribune in October 1963, according to wikiBond, although I never got around to reading it until it turned up in the expanded Bond short-story collections circa 2008.

Oh, yes that was what I meant by "forgotten" - that was the first time I had heard of it anyhow. But yes, it was originally published in the American edition of Fleming's Thrilling Cities as an apologia for Fleming's harsh comments on New York in the travel book (and nothing more really) as Bond obviously enjoyed the city more than his creator did! In effect it was a sop to the American public.
    Birdleson wrote: »

Yes, and here is my The Bondologist Blog also on the topic of unpublished Bond short stories by Fleming - this was originally written for CBn in 2007:

http://www.thebondologistblog.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/ian-flemings-second-uncompleted-short.html

Incidentally, this is my 5000th post on MI6 Community - more than on any other site on which I am or was a member. That says something about the quality of this community and its members.
    Oh, yes that was what I meant by "forgotten" - that was the first time I had heard of it anyhow. But yes, it was originally published in the American edition of Fleming's Thrilling Cities as an apologia for Fleming's harsh comments on New York in the travel book (and nothing more really) as Bond obviously enjoyed the city more than his creator did! In effect it was a sop to the American public.
    Thanks for fleshing that out. Indeed, a sop to the American public.
    Further trivia note; We got the name Solange, which turned up in CR 2006, from the "007 in New York" story.

@birdleson Thanks for that link. The famous Fleming Scrapbook. Good read.
    Fodder for maybe more Horowitz efforts?

• ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España

Yes, and here is my The Bondologist Blog also on the topic of unpublished Bond short stories by Fleming - this was originally written for CBn in 2007:

http://www.thebondologistblog.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/ian-flemings-second-uncompleted-short.html

Incidentally, this is my 5000th post on MI6 Community - more than on any other site on which I am or was a member. That says something about the quality of this community and its members.
    Happy impressive 5000! Go on with your work!
  • 007InVT007InVT Classified

There is also the fabled Moonraker script/treatment Fleming wrote...

• 007InVT007InVT Classified
    Thanks for fleshing that out. Indeed, a sop to the American public.
    Further trivia note; We got the name Solange, which turned up in CR 2006, from the "007 in New York" story.

@birdleson Thanks for that link. The famous Fleming Scrapbook. Good read.
    Fodder for maybe more Horowitz efforts?

Confidence is high for Horowitz, so if he knocks it out of the park I could see him writing more.

007InVT wrote: »

Confidence is high for Horowitz, so if he knocks it out of the park I could see him writing more.

Pardon me, I will first read the book before complimenting the writer.
    That is interesting to learn that their is alot more unknown and unused Fleming material!
  • I am looking forward to this new novel even more now that Fleming's actual screenplay treatment will likely be published as an appendix. Wouldn't that be just wonderful: having a "new" James Bond story from Fleming to read the month leading up to Bond 24?
    Yes with this news we are back up to 5 Fleming short story titles
    I just don't see EON going with MURDER ON WHEELS. Much as I would love to see it.

Horowitz has already tweeted that he will not be using this title anyhow so I doubt if it ever came to be filmed Eon would either; it's not particularly inspired perhaps but bear in mind it was merely a TV episode title from the 1950s so the target audience may have been different...

I think we have to measure our enthusiasm regarding unused Fleming material.
    The scrapbook is just a collection of notes and ideas, musings etc which only really plant the germ of an idea.
    The stories themselves still have to be written by others, but that said, growing fresh stories from Fleming seeds could be a wonderful thing.

@dragonpol, love the new avatar - charles gray blofeld affecting a Fleming pose.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    I just don't see EON going with MURDER ON WHEELS. Much as I would love to see it.

Horowitz has already tweeted that he will not be using this title anyhow so I doubt if it ever came to be filmed Eon would either; it's not particularly inspired perhaps but bear in mind it was merely a TV episode title from the 1950s so the target audience may have been different...

Sounds a lot more like an Agatha Christie novel rather than a James Bond story.
    Walecs wrote: »

Sounds a lot more like an Agatha Christie novel rather than a James Bond story.

Indeed it does - a bit too obvious sounding. Fleming actually mentions Agatha Christie in his OHMSS novel. It could be a Columbo episode title too! I'm a big fan of the Man in the Mac.
  • Funnily enough I've been reading the Alex Rider books over the past year after I saw the Stormbreaker film and then a member here recommended them.

They're really good, very Bond inspired (although it's more film Bond than book Bond). The best thing about them is the action (there are loads of tense, violent action scenes) and the villains. Anthony Horowitz seems to be really good at creating great Fleming esque villains: well fleshed out psychos, really bizarre, nasty evil psychos with physical deformities and interesting backstories.

EG- The last one I read was Crocodile Tears (the second to last book), and the villain in that is a former boxer who's lived a difficult life and has had loads of botched plastic surgery (trying to fix damage from fights), who went to prison for fraud, pretended to become born again Christian (even becoming a reverend) and then set up a charity called First Aid which is always the first on the seen to disasters: because they create them. The reverend bloke, the villain, wears crucifix earings, has a messed up face as a result of the surgery and spouts bible quotes and is obsessed with becoming rich because he knows that money gets you respect (something he had little of throughout his life) and that nobody cares who you are or where you come from if you have money.

There are loads of great villains like this throughout the books so I'm excited to see what he comes up with for Bond.
    Funnily enough I've been reading the Alex Rider books over the past year after I saw the Stormbreaker film and then a member here recommended them.

They're really good, very Bond inspired (although it's more film Bond than book Bond). The best thing about them is the action (there are loads of tense, violent action scenes) and the villains. Anthony Horowitz seems to be really good at creating great Fleming esque villains: well fleshed out psychos, really bizarre, nasty evil psychos with physical deformities and interesting backstories.

EG- The last one I read was Crocodile Tears (the second to last book), and the villain in that is a former boxer who's lived a difficult life and has had loads of botched plastic surgery (trying to fix damage from fights), who went to prison for fraud, pretended to become born again Christian (even becoming a reverend) and then set up a charity called First Aid which is always the first on the seen to disasters: because they create them. The reverend bloke, the villain, wears crucifix earings, has a messed up face as a result of the surgery and spouts bible quotes and is obsessed with becoming rich because he knows that money gets you respect (something he had little of throughout his life) and that nobody cares who you are or where you come from if you have money.

There are loads of great villains like this throughout the books so I'm excited to see what he comes up with for Bond.

Great review of the books and Crocodile Tears sounds a tad like John Gardner's Scorpius (1988) with Father Valentine (tka Vladimir Scorpius) of the Society of the Meek Ones. I have a few of these but I really need to dig them out and get the rest and read them. Is the film Stormbreaker any good?
    I also read in The Times last night that Fleming's grand niece said that Fleming's original TV script treatment entitled 'Murder on Wheels' would be included as an appendix to the novel if fans so desired.

Yes, dammit, yes, yes, yes! Unread Fleming is more exciting than any continuation novel.
    The Fleming website states that TLD was also based on a TV treatment. Since TLD postdates FYEO, which contained at two other stories based on treatments, I wonder if Fleming would have turned the remaining treatments into short stories if he'd lived longer.
    There is also the fabled Moonraker script/treatment Fleming wrote...

Or as I like to call it, the Holy Grail! Imagine if that was found and published in a collection containing the TV treatments, Fleming's notebook, and his initial Thunderball script. Call it Bond on Film: The Lost Adventures. That would be the publication of a Fleming fan's lifetime.
    SaintMark wrote: »

Actually, considering all the hope and promise and interesting background, that has been revealed in this thread and elsewhere, I have already elevated the book to 2nd on my Bond continuation novel rankings, behind only Pearson. :P

1. Pearson, James Bond Authorized Biography
    2. Horowitz, untitled
    3. Gardner, License Renewed.

SaintMark wrote: »

Actually, considering all the hope and promise and interesting background, that has been revealed in this thread and elsewhere, I have already elevated the book to 2nd on my Bond continuation novel rankings, behind only Pearson. :P

1. Pearson, James Bond Authorized Biography
    2. Horowitz, untitled
    3. Gardner, License Renewed.

For you and everybody else I do hope the book lives up to your expectations. I will only admit like the previous three I will pre-order the book, as it is a 007 novel.

• edited October 2014 Posts: 2,594
    "Yes, dammit, yes, yes, yes! Unread Fleming is more exciting than any continuation novel.
    The Fleming website states that TLD was also based on a TV treatment. Since TLD postdates FYEO, which contained at two other stories based on treatments, I wonder if Fleming would have turned the remaining treatments into short stories if he'd lived longer."

Revelator wrote: »

"Yes, dammit, yes, yes, yes! Unread Fleming is more exciting than any continuation novel.
    The Fleming website states that TLD was also based on a TV treatment. Since TLD postdates FYEO, which contained at two other stories based on treatments, I wonder if Fleming would have turned the remaining treatments into short stories if he'd lived longer."

Yes, dammit, yes, yes, yes! Unread Fleming is more exciting than any continuation novel.

Yes.

I don't agree if it's just a TV script.

The fact that so many fans always wanted Horowitz for the job makes me feel a little more positive than what I otherwise would have been if another celebrity author not mnetioned by the fans had have been chosen, but I still won't be getting my hopes up. For the past three books we've heard the same positive comments and look at how the books have turned out. One can only hope the positive vibe will generate a well written book this time around.