Rate The Last Movie You Saw In Theaters

Comments

• MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited August 2014 Posts: 2,036
    Lucy.

Basically Luc Besson got halfway through the script and thought "f*** it", in for a penny, in for a pound. And the film just goes nuts.

In a good way. I really enjoyed it. For a film about accessing 100% of the brain it's ironic that, for maximum enjoyment, leave your own at the entrance to the cinema before watching it.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I saw 'Guardians of the Galaxy' about a week ago. I loved it. One of those rare films that I thought would be great, and somehow exceeded my expectations. Wasn't as action-packed as I expected, but worked well on the comedy, sets, and acting. Great movie.

'Sin City: A Dame To Kill For'

Wonderful film, a rare sequel that I actually enjoyed, and am already looking forward to seeing it again. Some of the storylines were weak (didn't care for Joseph Gordon Levitt's storyline in the slightest), but the others made up for it. I also loved the nods to the first film. Happy that this didn't disappoint.
    Good to hear. Guardians I´m anyhow much too curious about to pass, but my cineastic instinct lately told me that Sin City 2 may actually be worth it. Glad to get corroboration on that.

The Expendables 3

6/10

Better than I thought after reading some reviews. The PG13 didn´t bother me much, but the overcrowding was a problem. The young cast was surprisingly good, Mel Gibson shone through understatement, but giving Jet Li not much more than a cameo is unforgivable.

Guardians of the Galaxy

5/10

Not half as entertaining as all the reviews say. Actually I found it quite a mess. I couldn´t really connect to any character, except maybe for Yondu, and then I constantly thought how amazing it would be had he played that character in a film without so many colours. There weren´t any iconic elements worth the hype.
    Sin City: A Dame to Kill For
    Like @Creasy47 this is a decent sequel. I daresay it is better than the original. I found the storylines kinda weak, did not care for Joseph Gordon Levitt's and I found nancy's to be predictable. Not any real ground breaking story telling here.

The meat and bones was the Eva Green/Josh Brolin storyline. It is better developed and was more fun. Most of the film is devoted to this one.

Like the original, the look of the film is most intriguing but lets face it: we've all been there and done that before.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @OHMSS69, well said, and I wholeheartedly agree: I really enjoyed the film, but I found a good portion of it to be weak, yet Brolin/Green's storyline shined and dazzled me.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Really looking forward to SC2. Premieres here in a week.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    The Expendables 3

8/10

Great new additions in Harrison Ford, Wesley Snipes and Antonio Banderas (the best of the three), the younger Expendables were good, great action, especially the ending sequence, and Mel Gibson is a great villain. Add in a cameo role by Robert Davi and all the humor, you've got yourself a great film.
    Gone Girl

Another classic entry by David Fincher that blew me away. I saw the trailers a few times and that's it. Didn't know much about the plot, knew nothing of any twists (or the ending), and I was just shocked, stunned, and overall incredibly happy with the end result. Go see this movie.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Gone Girl

Another classic entry by David Fincher that blew me away. I saw the trailers a few times and that's it. Didn't know much about the plot, knew nothing of any twists (or the ending), and I was just shocked, stunned, and overall incredibly happy with the end result. Go see this movie.
    That's good to hear, as I plan on going to see it next weekend. I love what I saw from a trailer or two, and can't wait to take in another mystery film by Fincher.
    Gone Girl for me too.

Great movie, and slow movies like this are not my type usually..well mostly because most of the slow movies are hailed as "BEST OF ALL TIME OMG MUST WATCH", so I end up thinking most movies like that to be overrated.

8/10 for Gone Girl. I am tired now but I might write few words if someone wants to know something :)

Also few days ago

The Equalizer- It was fine. 7/10, nothing more nothing less,enjoyed the second half, the first half was alright for what it's worth. Denzel is badass, the character is badass. It works.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, prepare to be as blown away as I was, then. Had no expectations of any twists or the entirety of the ending, and it made me happy. I went on the IMDB forums after and saw a lot of people talking about how they wished they hadn't read the book because they would've loved to have cluelessly seen the film play out.
    As a person who only saw only trailer of the movie, I definitelly recommend not knowing anything about the movie. I am so glad I had no idea about who the girl is, who Ben Affleck's character is or completely anything. Which is to congratulate the trailer for not revealing anything but keeping you interested in the movie.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 2,081
    Tokoloshe wrote: »

Just reading this... Thanks for the link, but for anyone interested in the movie, DO NOT READ THAT ARTICLE BEFORE YOU'VE SEEN THE MOVIE. Or any articles about it. Eek.

Gone Girl

It was pretty good, wasn't it? :)

Just saw it a few hours ago. Liked it a lot, as did the friend I went with. I hadn't read the book (I've heard recommendations) and wasn't familiar with the writer, didn't know anything about the story (thank goodness for that) except how it begins, Ben Affleck and Rosamund Pike are both merely ok - I mean I wouldn't go see a movie for either of them. (Having said that I must say they were both good in this. Actually, Rosamund was very good.)

BUT it was a David Fincher movie, so of course I had to go and see it. He's one of those movie people I have a soft spot for, one of those "he's in? ok, I want to see it, whatever it is" people. I thought it was pretty fantastic. I can easily believe the book is good, and, of course, Fincher sure can tell a story. Apart from the fascinating main story well told there was also plenty of interesting commentary on various things on the side and some good humour throughout.

I believe I had a big grin on my face when leaving the theatre.

Oh and I quite liked the music by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross. I guess Fincher quite likes them, too... (Damn, do I have to buy another Fincher movie soundtrack by those guys? I hope not, I already have 2.)
    dragonsky wrote: »
    As a person who only saw only trailer of the movie, I definitelly recommend not knowing anything about the movie. I am so glad I had no idea about who the girl is, who Ben Affleck's character is or completely anything. Which is to congratulate the trailer for not revealing anything but keeping you interested in the movie.

Yes, the trailer was good in nor revealing anything. That's rare.

---

Saw Sin City: A Dame To Kill For about a week ago. That was... ok, but... I mean not bad, but somewhat meh. That I personally wouldn't recommend.

Gone Girl I would recommend.

In fact, it's an unusually rich story, all things considered. It's about so many things, and it's fascinating. I've been "oh wow" about 1 tv series and 2 movies this year, Gone Girl being the second of those movies. I'm still grinning.

I want to see it again. I want to read about it and talk about it. Good thing that doesn't happen all the time - the extra attention and research and analysis and discussion takes a lot of time. :P

Having started reading articles, analysis and comments I'm - as usually happens - amazed. People really do see different movies (and different tv series) even if they watch the same one. I don't mean simple like/dislike, but much more than that.
    Which is also something that fascinates me, btw...
    @tuulia, very, very well stated, and that's how I feel about Fincher: he is one of those directors that I really love. You could say he has a new film coming out next weekend, and I'd be first in line, no matter what it was about or who was starring in it. Same goes for Michael Mann (can't wait for 'Blackhat' in January) and Quentin Tarantino (looking forward to 'Hateful Eight' in the fall of 2015).

'Gone Girl' has so much beauty to it, and yes, it's very rich. Feel free to PM me anytime to speak about the film, because I saw it Friday night and ever since, I've either been talking with my girlfriend about it (or talking about going to see it again on Monday ;)) or thinking about it. I love when a film is so good that it sticks with me like this. I really want to see it once more, especially knowing what I know now.
    @Creasy47 maybe the next step for you is to get the book ? :D

Fincher is great great director, but for the movie and the minor flaws I have with the movie I mostly credit the writer of the novel.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Gone Girl

Finally got around to seeing it. I will watch any Fincher film, especially any of his projects that deal with mysteries/crimes, his work in Se7en, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Zodiac (my favorite) being the stuff of legend, so this was a must watch for me.

With this film, I am very conflicted. It's a crazy ride that takes you up down and all around with the characters, making you always question who you do or do not trust, and as a whole it's a very unconventional and unexpected thriller/mystery in that regard, which is refreshing. Unfortunately, by really going out of its way to tell a different story you don't expect, it loses itself. I was into the atmosphere and totally taken with it for almost the entire duration of the film, then
    in the last ten minutes it lost me completely. I left the theater very disappointed and thinking to myself "that's it?" The way the characters were portrayed leading up to the ending didn't make me believe that it's how the situation would end, and it just felt rushed, unresolved and rather "meh."
    All in all, if you love twisty-turny whodunits, this film is for you. I can see it being very divisive, but it does a lot of interesting and engrossing things to really set it apart from others in the genre. While it doesn't come close to the likes of Zodiac for me, Fincher and co. have still made an enthralling film that often surprises you for all the right reasons.

In addition, Rosamund absolutely blew me away, and I honestly wouldn't be the least bit surprised if she got some Oscar buzz coming off this film. It'd be a well deserved nomination, that much is certain. The Bond girl curse clearly hasn't struck her either. What a knockout...
    Hector and the Search for happiness

Not that many people know about this movie which is shame.

A good feel good movie. Simon Pegg is great as usual. Rosamund Pike is real babe. The movie is funny and interesting all around.

7/10, recommendation from me :)
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Gone Girl. 8.5/10.

I was lukewarm about it when I left the theater. But it grew on me. I couldn't get the Trent Reznor/Atticus Ross soundtrack out of my head, so I bought it, listened to it, read the interview with Reznor in Rolling Stone. Then saw the film again.

The film is a modern parable, where the subtext is the real text.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    INTERSTELLAR 7/10
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, perhaps I'll have to work on changing your mind about 'Gone Girl' once I've seen it again on blu-ray. ;)

I personally loved it, probably the best film I've seen in theaters this year. Really wowed me and the twist was phenomenal, albeit one of the ones I expected.
    TripAces wrote: »

The film is a modern parable, where the subtext is the real text.

Totally agree
    Penguins of Madagascar- 5 out of 5 stars

LOVED IT. One of the best movies of the year for me. You should check it out if you have the chance.
    Interstellar 8,5/10
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    Saw Paddington with my 4yr old son today. We both absolutely loved it. Charming, hilarious and lots of fun.

Ben Whishaw is wonderful as Paddington. Look out for the briefest of cameos by Geoffrey Palmer (TND) near the end too.
    What we do in the Shadows 4/5
    Fantastic humor, funny and likeable characters, don´t know what else to say.

Nightcrawler 4/5
    Gyllenhall was fantastic. The film drew me in constantly, even though there is not one single likeable character.
    'The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies'

Unfortunately, it's my least favorite in the 'Hobbit' trilogy, and the films seemed to get worse and worse for me. The final act of the trilogy lacks punch, the emotional scenes are more laughable, and it was chock full of bad CGI and forgettable action sequences.

And don't get me started on the disappointing ending that completely lacked the emotion and breadth of the LOTR trilogy's ending.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    'The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies'
    Unfortunately, it's my least favorite in the 'Hobbit' trilogy
    I've only watched the first one, but it seemed like Peter was just throwing an extended love letter to his fist childhood sweetheart...

@chrisisall, they started to go downhill for me as they went along, but at least I enjoyed 'Desolation of Smaug.' This one? Didn't cut it for me. Massive disappointment for the trilogy, ending on a sour note.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Massive disappointment for the trilogy, ending on a sour note.
    The Matrix effect...
    :((