GOTHAM (TV Series 2014 – )

edited November 2014 in General Movies & TV Posts: 1,107
Before Batman, there was Gotham.

Fox TV show 'Gotham' explores life before Batman.
A new recruit in Captain Sarah Essen's Gotham City Police Department named Detective James Gordon is paired with Harvey Bullock to solve one of Gotham's highest-profile cases: the murder of Thomas and Martha Wayne. During his investigation, Gordon meets the Waynes' son Bruce, now in the care of his butler Alfred Pennyworth, which further compels Gordon to catch the mysterious killer. Along the way, Gordon must confront mobstress Fish Mooney, the mafia led by Carmine Falcone and the crime family led by Sal Maroni as well as many of Gotham's future villains such as Selina Kyle, Edward Nygma, and Oswald Cobblepot. Eventually, Gordon is forced to form an unlikely friendship with Wayne, one that will help shape the boy's future in his destiny of becoming a crusader.

url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=0CAUQjBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thetvaddict.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F09%2F%40Gotham_S1_FOX_Lot_BigBoard_R3.jpg&ei=m_tYVJ6OMdPH7AbejoGIDQ&psig=AFQjCNFuFsgiFGi3O_mUiN9zoFd-JCsY4g&ust=1415204123959560

Discus the new tv series GOTHAM here !

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I happened to enjoy the pilot. I'm a little worried about the progression of young Bruce Wayne, however, and that this Gordon might not be able to ignore the boy's eventual rise into the Dark Knight.
    New Trailer For GOTHAM Offers A Look At "Arkham City", 'Mr. Zsasz' And...'Scarecrow'?
    Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=108399#qG18VHQkq2H3Jodv.99
  • Watched the pilot, and here's what I think:

6xjHbqK5QSi7xpA257Lc_i-hjJh2gv-1050x10000.jpg

However, I believe they can save this. If they think they can make an entire season about Gotham and its criminals and Police Department it will FAIL. On the other hand, if they end Season 1 with a cliffhanger of Bruce running off, and Season 2 is all about him training, and Season 3 or even 4 is ALL ABOUT BATMAN, then we might have something special.

I just can't see them going the way they're going for too long
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 2,341
    Maybe its just me but I would like to see less of the Bruce Wayne storylines and concentrate more on Jim Gordon and his personal life.
    I 'd like to see more of the bad guys and their development and interactions from Cat woman to the Joker, Riddler, Penguin, Crime Lords, Madame Fish, etc
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I'm all caught up with the series, and overall, I like it. A lot of the Batman mythos is properly adapted here, and I especially enjoy the show's takes on Bruce and Gordon. I'm a huge fan of their casting, as well as the girl they have playing Selina and the guy who is the Penguin. While the acting from some of the other cast members can at times be wonky, all in all I have enjoyed what I have seen. I love the cinematography, like a lot of the casting choices and I think the show has a lot of potential in a serialized sense if Fox network is able to keep their finger off the cancellation button and allow the show to get a core audience built in.

I hope to see a subplot in the future that plays with Gordon having an affair with Essen, as well as him turning on the entire department and starting his big "clean-up" of the place, corrupt cop after corrupt cop. I also hope to see more from Pertwee's Alfred as well, because so far I haven't liked anything about him.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I'm really liking the show. I had no idea that the chick who plays Barbara was British actress Erin Richards who I suggested as a Bond girl a while back. Anyway, hood show, I'm loving this take on Alfred and his relationship dynamic with young Bruce who suspiciously looks like a kid version of Christian Bale. As a huge comic book fan, I haven't even attempted to bother watching agents of shield because it just doesn't look interesting to me but Gotham...has been a please note surprise.
  • I once started a thread about the Die Hard series but it was closed because there was already an A Good Day To Die Hard thread and apparently one Die Hard thread was enough. Fair enough but then how come there are so many Batman threads? I've had threads closed and then been linked to threads that weren't at all the same as mine but there's at least four Batman threads: The Dark Knight Rises one, the Batman vs Superman one, one just titled Batman, and now this.

If a badass like John Mcclane doesn't deserve multiple threads then Batman certainly doesn't :P

Anyway I might watch this when it comes on in the UK (which is some point this month). Looks quite good.
    @thelivingroyale, just watch it online. Why wait?
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 12,837
    I'm not really interested enough to seek it out and watch it online. Plus I prefer watching stuff on my TV to on the internet where I have to try loads of different links to see if they work, close loads of pop up ads, wait for it to buffer and all of this on a way smaller screen than my TV.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Batman's older and cooler than John McClane.
    Batman is a weird, miserable emo who lives in a cave and wears his pants outside his trousers. He's good at martial arts and he has some cool gadgets but John Mcclane is waaayy cooler.

And even if Batman was cooler (which he totally isn't), still doesn't mean he deserves so many threads. Especially when plenty of interesting threads before have been closed for being "duplicates" when they're not.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Batman has improved on the big screen, yes we did get that Schumacher debacle but Nolan bought the quality back, whereas John Mclane despite appearing in one of the greatest action films of all time is definitely a case of diminishing returns, he stopped being a bad ass well over a decade ago.

Willis' version of the character is a mere shadow of what he once was.
    Die Hard 5 was crap (I actually liked 4.0), doesn't mean the character isn't a badass. The early films still exist.

Anyway, you're all missing the point. My point is that no matter how cool you think Batman is, why does he get special treatment (having a load of threads) when other threads are closed instantly because one of the mods managed to find a really weak link to a thread from years ago?
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited October 2014 Posts: 12,459
    I don't know why your thread was closed as duplicate threads for certain characters obviously exist. You make a good point, thelivingroyale.

I know what you mean about the quality of viewing online on your computer vs. the tv; it is a huge difference. But for me, I have to; I would not be able to see shows without going online. I don't want to wait many months or even years and have to buy the dvds, just to see a show.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I once started a thread about the Die Hard series but it was closed because there was already an A Good Day To Die Hard thread and apparently one Die Hard thread was enough. Fair enough but then how come there are so many Batman threads? I've had threads closed and then been linked to threads that weren't at all the same as mine but there's at least four Batman threads: The Dark Knight Rises one, the Batman vs Superman one, one just titled Batman, and now this.

If a badass like John Mcclane doesn't deserve multiple threads then Batman certainly doesn't :P

Oy. Well, besides the clear point that Batman is amongst the most iconic, complex and fascinating characters ever created, and whose whopping 75 years in the public consciousness have supplied us with some of the greatest comic books, one shot graphic novels, animated programs, live action films and video games ever produced and who has influenced every generation since his debut in May of 1939, Batman simply has a lot going for him, as you can imagine.

McClane is part of just one mainstream, popular series, a bunch of films, and that's about it. Batman is part of a myriad of countless animated shows, live action shows (like Gotham), live action films, comic book one shots and those in the main continuity of the new 52, and countless other video games like the Arkham series that are all not only big hits and best sellers, but also the biggest money makers for DC. Because he is such a prolific character in every medium imaginable from in print to on our screens and in our consoles, it's obvious that he is going to have a lot of different threads dedicated to him. Gotham, Batman vs. Superman and Nolan's films, for example, are all very distinct projects with Batman part of the action, and because the hype for each of them have been special and each adaption has been unique, their own threads were created to engage that discourse amongst the fans, not bashers, of each of them.

Sure, we could shove all the discussions about Batman: The Animated Series, Young Justice, Batman The Brave and the Bold, The Batman, the Arkham games, Nolan's movies, Batman vs. Superman, Gotham, Batman comic books (pre and post new 52) and more into the main Batman thread we have here, but that'd be a tad daft, don't you think? Because Batman spans so many mediums and is apart of so many projects at this current moment and in the past, we need separate threads to stop the discussion from being a clogged, directionless messes. With threads like this one, we can now talk strictly about Gotham and just Gotham, and even have discussions involving spoilers from the show, something we wouldn't be able to do on the main Batman thread because not everyone over there would have seen it and doesn't want it ruined for them. Same with Batman vs. Superman. There's so much news always flowing in for that project, so stuffing all that content and discussion into the main Batman thread would clog it severely, and the discussions about the film would get all mixed up with the many separate discussions going on about the Arkham games, the Batman animated shows and movies, the state of the new 52 DC world and more, which would make us all go batty trying to follow it (pun intended).

You might think it's stupid that Batman has so many threads, but he's just that iconic, unstoppable and downright popular. I'm sorry that you felt wronged when your McClane thread got eighty-sixed, but Johnny boy just doesn't have that much going on besides the main film series, whose popularity has waned greatly, so it's not a big surprise it got shut down. I think things would work better if we had just one Die Hard thread here that all the five films fell under, for those who wish to compare/discuss each of them, and it wouldn't be as clogged as discourse around the prolific Batman would be.

Anyway, can we please get back to talking about Gotham, the purpose of this thread?
    Not to mention many shows don't get aired here in the UK but it's fine, I use 2 sites that are perfect and stream instantly no buffering fowl ups and have my laptop hooked up to my 60" TV.
    I once started a thread about the Die Hard series but it was closed because there was already an A Good Day To Die Hard thread and apparently one Die Hard thread was enough. Fair enough but then how come there are so many Batman threads? I've had threads closed and then been linked to threads that weren't at all the same as mine but there's at least four Batman threads: The Dark Knight Rises one, the Batman vs Superman one, one just titled Batman, and now this.

Oy. Well, besides the clear point that Batman is amongst the most iconic, complex and fascinating characters ever created, and whose whopping 75 years in the public consciousness have supplied us with some of the greatest comic books, one shot graphic novels, animated programs, live action films and video games ever produced and who has influenced every generation since his debut in May of 1939, Batman simply has a lot going for him, as you can imagine.

McClane is part of just one mainstream, popular series, a bunch of films, and that's about it. Batman is part of a myriad of countless animated shows, live action shows (like Gotham), live action films, comic book one shots and those in the main continuity of the new 52, and countless other video games like the Arkham series that are all not only big hits and best sellers, but also the biggest money makers for DC. Because he is such a prolific character in every medium imaginable from in print to on our screens and in our consoles, it's obvious that he is going to have a lot of different threads dedicated to him. Gotham, Batman vs. Superman and Nolan's films, for example, are all very distinct projects with Batman part of the action, and because the hype for each of them have been special and each adaption has been unique, their own threads were created to engage that discourse amongst the fans, not bashers, of each of them.

Sure, we could shove all the discussions about Batman: The Animated Series, Young Justice, Batman The Brave and the Bold, The Batman, the Arkham games, Nolan's movies, Batman vs. Superman, Gotham, Batman comic books (pre and post new 52) and more into the main Batman thread we have here, but that'd be a tad daft, don't you think? Because Batman spans so many mediums and is apart of so many projects at this current moment and in the past, we need separate threads to stop the discussion from being a clogged, directionless messes. With threads like this one, we can now talk strictly about Gotham and just Gotham, and even have discussions involving spoilers from the show, something we wouldn't be able to do on the main Batman thread because not everyone over there would have seen it and doesn't want it ruined for them. Same with Batman vs. Superman. There's so much news always flowing in for that project, so stuffing all that content and discussion into the main Batman thread would clog it severely, and the discussions about the film would get all mixed up with the many separate discussions going on about the Arkham games, the Batman animated shows and movies, the state of the new 52 DC world and more, which would make us all go batty trying to follow it (pun intended).

You might think it's stupid that Batman has so many threads, but he's just that iconic, unstoppable and downright popular. I'm sorry that you felt wronged when your McClane thread got eighty-sixed, but Johnny boy just doesn't have that much going on besides the main film series, whose popularity has waned greatly, so it's not a big surprise it got shut down. I think things would work better if we had just one Die Hard thread here that all the five films fell under, for those who wish to compare/discuss each of them, and it wouldn't be as clogged as discourse around the prolific Batman would be.

Anyway, can we please get back to talking about Gotham, the purpose of this thread?

nicely said =D>
    Major Crimes Unit | GOTHAM

Live in England so won't see the show till next week, though the trailers on YouTube for this show look great. 8 days then airing here.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 4,813
    The concept reminds me of the Lois & Clark TV show-- where they tried to emphasize on the Daily Planet instead of Superman. But of course, Superman was still in that stupid show!!!
    If they don't find a way to eventually have Batman, I can't see this show lasting too long.
    There's no problem at all with bringing GCPD into more of the spotlight, but it should be to make us appreciate their relationship with Batman; it shouldn't be just about them and the villains! BATMAN

• edited October 2014 Posts: 6,432
    The concept reminds me of the Lois & Clark TV show-- where they tried to emphasize on the Daily Planet instead of Superman. But of course, Superman was still in that stupid show!!!
    If they don't find a way to eventually have Batman, I can't see this show lasting too long.
    There's no problem at all with bringing GCPD into more of the spotlight, but it should be to make us appreciate their relationship with Batman; it shouldn't be just about them and the villains! BATMAN

Recently bought a couple of seasons of Lois and Clark, time has not been kind this show is painfully stupid and basic.

Perhaps with GOTHAM they may leap years from one season to another. Though knowing how DC protect there characters would not be surprised if Batman never appears in the show. Unless they do a Smallville and we see Batman for a few minutes in the last episode of season ten.
    ;))
    This show will never make ten seasons. Arrow is better, and that will never make ten seasons.
    This show will never make ten seasons. Arrow is better, and that will never make ten seasons.

Tongue in cheek lol Yeah have season one of Arrow really enjoyed it, season two just been released here need to order it.

• I wish I'd never mentioned f***ing Die Hard now. That was just an example, I don't really care about that and it's not the point I was making.

Ok so Batman has films, comics, games, etc. But we have two general video game threads, two upcoming film threads and I'm pretty sure there's a comic thread too.

And even so, do we need a new thread for everything Batman related on a James Bond forum? Especially one that is normally so harsh about duplicate threads?

A better example than the Die Hard one: I started a thread about underrated and overrated actors. It was closed and I was directed to an actor/actress discussion thread (which was an okd thread where people used to discuss a new actor every few weeks but it hadn't been posted in for years) and then to an "overrated stars" thread. I bumped that second thread and people started talking about Victoria Beckham. That wasn't what I had in mind at all but my thread was apparently a duplicate of that one. But there are like five Batman threads. Doesn't seem fair to me.

Even if you do need multiple threads could you not have one Batman film series thread, one thread for the games and then the stuff that gets less discussion like the comics and this TV show, could go into the last TV show you watched thread/the last comic you read thread or the main Batman thread? Plus there are other franchises discussed on here that span films, games and comics but they're relegated to one thread.

I wouldn't care about this at all but I think this forum is normally too strict about duplicate threads so it seems unfair to me that Batman is an exception. Just googled it and I found: a thread about the Justice League film, a thread about The Dark Knight Rises, a thread about Batman in general, a thread about Batman vs Superman, a thread about Dalton maybe playing Alfred in Batman vs Superman (and ir's now been confirmed that he isn't) and this thread.

But then other threads are closed because of some obscure link to another thread from years ago. If this was any other franchise than Batman then the second post in the thread would have been a link to some other thread, and the third post would be a mod closing it.

I'll bow out now, I'm just saying that we already have plenty of Batman threads and since the site is normally ridiculously strict about duplicates, do we need another one?

I stated my reasons for why I understand why duplicates are allowed for Batman, just as duplicates would no doubt be allowed for things like Star Wars if there was enough interest to discuss the films, comics, games and more that make up that universe, but it doesn't seem to be as big a desire to do that. I can't speak for the mods that closed your threads, and I think your spat is with a power higher up that us other members, but again, I can't help that Batman is so incredibly popular. I'm quite proud of it, actually.
    Awesome !!

Fox Gives GOTHAM Full 22-Episode Season Order
    Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=109187#cyY27PFKVysg8gKe.99
    Big surprise, I say with sarcasm. DC shows have been doing great ratings-wise for years, now.
    Recording this for my brother tonight. For some reason though i am not that bothered about? It was the same feeling i had about Smallville!
    Bat-tastic news. Nice to see Fox is learning their lesson bit by bit.