Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (30th June 2023)

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited March 2014 Posts: 17,687
    Murdock wrote:
    As do I, but if I had to pick my favorite, It would be Temple of Doom.

We just finished a marathon, and TOD definitely had the best photography, the most in-shape Ford, & possibly the most amazing score.
    Always hated ToD. Raiders and Crusade rock though.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    How can you cast another actor if the character was 65 in the last film? Also what time period would you set the film in?

Difficult and unneeded to say the least.
    I like Bradley Cooper. Good actor, charismatic and likeable. Of course we'd all prefer it if they left it alone but that's not happening is it, and I think Cooper is a decent choice.

I don't think there is a bad Indy film. Temple Of Doom started off poorly but redeemed itself towards the end and it had by far the best villain of the series imo

I thought Crystal Skull was alright, it wasn't needed but it was enjoyable enough and it was a well made film (although John Hurt was completely wasted). I liked Ray Winstone and I liked how they bought back the girl from Raiders.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    How can you cast another actor if the character was 65 in the last film?

Simple: set it before the last one.
    Maybe Cooper could be Indy anyway? It is no different to someone taking over the role of Bond, Batman, and so on and so on.
    Cooper could work- he has the action/adventure and comedic qualities that made Ford fun in the role. I only hope they have the story take place in the 30's AND 60's, so we could still have Ford participate, like that idea of mine from before:
    People keep talking as if Harrison Ford can't STILL kick all of our asses...... :P

But to be fair I agree it's too late for an Indy movie with just Harrison. I had a great idea a few years ago (around when Crystal Skull came out) that involved a new actor as Indy in the 1930's and a 'unresolved adventure' that haunted him for years to come- it would later be solved by Harrison as Indy in the 1960's. Perhaps it could start in the 60's and cut back and forth as the plot developed (sort of like they do on 'Arrow').
    I figure if audiences liked the younger actor he could carry on the series, and if he wasn't very well received then that should be the final film, period.
    I tossed this idea around before- it may have even been on this forum- and people seemed to like it
    Samuel001 wrote:
    How can you cast another actor if the character was 65 in the last film? Also what time period would you set the film in?
    Technically Ford was playing a younger character in Crystal Skull. He was 65 then and the movie was set in 1957 (making Indy 57 or 58 years old- born 1899)

• edited March 2014 Posts: 9,730
    I feel like this you start the film off in the late 50's it's pouring rain and Dark out you see the camera goes through what looks like a prison we see a hooded man and two Neo Nazi people a third one steps out of the shadows in his 60's and pulls off the hood to reveal Ford as Dr Jones

"Do you realize how long I have had to stay in this retched dump Dr Jones"
    "Do you realize how little I care"
    "Always with the Jokes Dr. Jones glad to see age hasn't made you lose your sense of humor.. as I was saying I know you know what I am looking for so where is it?
    "I found lots of things in my life your going to have to be a little more specific"
    "The Garden of Eden Dr Jones The Garden of Eden"
    "A Fairy Tale"
    "Oh you and I both know that is not true... why don't we start from the beginning"

the scene then switches to Cooper as a young Dr. Jones on his quest.

I think it could work.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It's been confirmed now that them rebooting 'Indy Jones' with a younger actor was just a rumor. It won't be happening.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 1,778
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Maybe Cooper could be Indy anyway? It is no different to someone taking over the role of Bond, Batman, and so on and so on.

The difference is Harrison Ford has been Indiana Jones for 33 years. It's a matter of the actor being the character. If Ford isn't coming back to do Indy 5 than they should just leave it alone. The role of Indiana Jones belongs to Ford.

(Yes I know other actors have played young Indy but I'm talking about the character as an adult as we all know and love him best)
    Creasy47 wrote:
    It's been confirmed now that them rebooting 'Indy Jones' with a younger actor was just a rumor. It won't be happening.

Good to hear. Not everything has to be rebooted.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It is going to happen sooner or later. I want more, loved all four. Who wants to see a WW2 movie with Indiana Jones?
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 1,052
    Hmmm, if they have to make another Indy film, I would rather see one last adventure with an ageing Harry which could finish of the series nicely. No young sidekick, no old love interest, minimal CGI, no aliens just a good old fashioned adventure.

If they need to reboot they can do it in about 50 years time when I won't care!
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 11,425
    It is going to happen sooner or later. I want more, loved all four. Who wants to see a WW2 movie with Indiana Jones?

I would have loved a WW2 movie. Something set in north Africa perhaps? That was the film they should have made soon after Crusade. Instead Lucas went mad and started making really bad Star Wars movies.
    RogueAgent wrote:

The difference is Harrison Ford has been Indiana Jones for 33 years. It's a matter of the actor being the character. If Ford isn't coming back to do Indy 5 than they should just leave it alone. The role of Indiana Jones belongs to Ford.

(Yes I know other actors have played young Indy but I'm talking about the character as an adult as we all know and love him best)
    Creasy47 wrote:

Good to hear. Not everything has to be rebooted.

I am sure that their were Bond fans back in the day that said they should not do Bond 6 after Connery walked away first time round? I love Ford as Indy but I think if he is not to return? Have a new Indy and take him on some more adventures? Disney will do something that's for sure, Star Wars 7 is testament to that.
    no aliens

I don't understand why everybody complains about that. Why is an ark melting somebody's face off, a knight living thousands of years or a voodoo king pulling somebody's heart out ok, but aliens are just stupid?
    no aliens

I don't understand why everybody complains about that. Why is an ark melting somebody's face off, a knight living thousands of years or a voodoo king pulling somebody's heart out ok, but aliens are just stupid?

Theology in Indy is more interesting then ancient astronaut theories
    Risico007 wrote:
    no aliens

Theology in Indy is more interesting then ancient astronaut theories

Totally agree. He's an archeologist, not a astro-physicist. The films need to focus on the old testament and mumbo jumbo like that.
    no aliens

The Aliens, sorry I mean "inter dimensional beings" just seem out of place, and the fact that they looked like typical cliche green men didn't help.

Religious "mumbo jumbo" is probably just as far fetched, it just seems more grounded in reality somehow!?
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 7,653
    oops

SaintMark wrote:
    no aliens

The Aliens, sorry I mean "inter dimensional beings" just seem out of place, and the fact that they looked like typical cliche green men didn't help.

Religious "mumbo jumbo" is probably just as far fetched, it just seems more grounded in reality somehow!?

Then again the fifties was the birthplace of a lot o weird scifi movies and books, so in that sense the aliens fitted well enough in that era as a tribute to that era of cinema.

To be honest, I always welcome sequels. I'm not like some of the Grumpy Old Men on this thread who are moaning about the sequels. I don't know why Indiana Jones shouldn't get sequels, I mean Dr No has had 22 sequels, no one's moaned about them. Indiana Jones does not follow a linear and continuous storyline throughout it's films, just like James Bond, and therefore it is not irrational to make many sequels.
    Oh, they'll make another, don't you worry.

I am seriously starting to wonder if Disney is planning some sort of world takeover. Marvel, Start Wars, Indy. What's next? When will their cinematic onslaught cease?!

James Bond??? :O
    It's hard to see any one pulling it off other than Ford, and frankly he's pretty much past it now any way.

But I guess if they can keep on re-casting Bond there is no reason theoretically why they couldn't try the same with Indiana Jones. I strongly feel that if they do make another it needs to be set in the 1930s of the original trilogy.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    The only way I'd accept anyone else to play the character, it'd be an adaptation to the Bantam novels, that is a prequel series set during the '20s
    Disney will do whatever it likes regardless of what the fans think?
    Wish full thinking, they really should not make any more Indy films. Alas too much of a cash cow.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Please, Disney. Disregard. I want more Indy.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2015 Posts: 15,686
    again I don't mind thatn I would just hope its a good story