Anyone familiar with Deaver?

edited March 2011 in Literary 007 Posts: 33
I just picked up Garden of Beasts and I'm seeing if I like his style. So far, I do. Thoughts?

Comments

He is one of those writers of whom I pick up his new novels or old ones, that I haven't read yet, blindly. I love his Lincoln Rhymes series.
    I picked up a collection of his short stories a couple years back and enjoyed them—"The Weekender" in particular—a great deal.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Who's excited for Carte Blanche?
  • After reading through Garden of Beasts, I definitely am.
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 107
    Quoting Samuel001: Who's excited for Carte Blanche?
    Count me in. I'm thrilled we got an actual thriller writer this time out.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited March 2011 Posts: 13,350
    @JobwGDG Not only that but new Bond material in some form at last. It's just been too long of a wait this time around between films - damn MGM.
    I haven't read any of Deaver's books. Garden of Beasts is on the top of my list of books to read now though! From what I have heard about Deaver's writing though he sounds like a very good thriller/suspense writer. I just hope Carte Blanche isn't too fast paced.

Austin Madding, what would you rate Garden of Beasts out of 10? 10 being the highest.

How does one quote other people's posts?
  • Definately up there around 8 or 9...he reminds me of Ludlum, but he lets the characters influence the tone of the narrator so much that it evolves, which is a great concept. I love the progression and the depth!
    I've read The Sleeping Doll, Roadside Crosses, The Bodies Left Behind and Garden of Beasts. I very much enjoyed them all so I'm optimistic about Carte Blanche.
  • I read Garden of Beasts last year on holiday. It was good but i still need convincing that this guy can do 007 well.

His prose was all too american at times and even resorted to sloppy americanisms which wound me up no end.
  • edited April 2011 Posts: 2,594
    "...he lets the characters influence the tone of the narrator so much that it evolves, which is a great concept."

Sounds good.

Will visit the library in the near future and get a hold of Garden of Beasts.

"His prose was all too american at times and even resorted to sloppy americanisms which wound me up no end."

This is a concern. Hopefully he has adopted more of a British style for Bond.
  • I hope I'm wrong, but my recent read of Garden Of Beasts has left me with concerns about Mr Deaver's suitability.... With the power of hindsight I now wish I had of just gone in blind and not tried any out.

As Mr Sterling rightly says, his style is very American and in places gave me flashbacks to the dreaded Benson style....

My fingers are very tightly crossed that everything will be fine....
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    I was very worried about another American writing the next Bond novel, I hadn't read any of his work, but then not being one to let a lack of solid facts interfere with my sound judgements I had predicted that 'Carte Blanche' would be awful. But having recentley read the free WHSmiths pamphlet on Bond written by Deaver himself, I am now only semi pessimistic about the book, he certainly knows his subject and seems to have approached the task in a respectful way and is hopefully treating the subject matter with the sensitivity it deserves.
    Either way I'm looking forward to finding out on the 26th.