Who Should Write the Next Bond Continuation Novel?

Comments

• edited September 2014 Posts: 2,594
    Continuation authors of course should write in their own style, that's a given, however, they must be faithful to the character with the odd little tweak here and there to harmonise with the time period and the audience at the time. Gardner did this and was successful. You certainly still feel like you are reading about Bond unlike with Deaver. For example, Deaver's Bond was a bitch. He let that Jordan character walk all over him. The real Bond would have put her in her place right from the get go.
  • Dragonpol wrote: »
    SaintMark wrote: »
    there was an interview with Sophie Hannah the writer of the new Hercule Poirot novel and she basically said that she did not write a new Agatha Christi.e. As she was not that person but that she did write a Sophie Hannah Hercule Poirot as it was impossible for any writer who took on a character that was not their own to not get their own style or way of storytelling into a book.

I've just finished Sophie Hannah's 'The Monogram Murders' and it is fabulous. She completely nails the character of Poirot and is 100% faithful to his DNA.
    What she does do, to great effect, is to introduce a new character and tell the story from his perspective. This gives the novel a freshness and makes it her own but make no mistake, Agatha would have loved Hannah's effort and frankly, if somebody could do likewise for Bond, we'd all be very happy!
    IFP, read it and weep.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Saw it in Tesco's today - good to hear that it is a well written continuation - perhaps there is hope for the literary James Bond yet?!
  • Dragonpol wrote: »
    Saw it in Tesco's today - good to hear that it is a well written continuation - perhaps there is hope for the literary James Bond yet?!

Hope - yes but the next step is critical and I hope that IFP will have the sense to work with their appointed author.
    I understand that Hannah both agreed the outline and was in constant contact with Agatha's estate throughout the process and that both sides are very happy with the product.
    As a Poirot fan I'm delighted and so is David Suchet. He's agreed to reprise his role as Hercule and the novel will become a major TV or film production.
    If IFP simply select another celeb author and roll the dice we'll have what we will have.
    Alternatively, if they partner with somebody who has either demonstrated that they completely understand the character (Higson) or alternatively somebody who has demonstrated that they can write quality, period espionage thrillers (Fulser, Lawson,Silva or Follet) and then work with them through the process we have every chance of getting something great.
    The big question is, have IFP got anybody on the board that truly understands the Bond literary phenomena?

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Has Suchet agreed? I've read that he isn't interested in reprising the role in a non-Christie story. However, if there was to be a another film adaption of a Christie story, that he would like to do.
  • Has Suchet agreed? I've read that he isn't interested in reprising the role in a non-Christie story. However, if there was to be a another film adaption of a Christie story, that he would like to do.

Yes, he's agreed and signed up. As for another Christie, wouldn't be possible for him - he's done them all!

Again, I'd wager on Anthony Horowitz being the perfect candidate for the next adult continuation James Bond novel and he's said in interviews that he really wants the job so it's a no-brainer for IFP surely?
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Again, I'd wager on Anthony Horowitz being the perfect candidate for the next adult continuation James Bond novel and he's said in interviews that he really wants the job so it's a no-brainer for IFP surely?

The man did a young James Bond pastiche as his own series and has done two Sherlock Holmes of which the first one was critically acclaimed and welcomed by the fans. So he will probably not be in the picture of IFP. ;)

Perhaps Sophie Hannah would be an option, we have yet to get a female continuation writer.

The man did a young James Bond pastiche as his own series and has done two Sherlock Holmes of which the first one was critically acclaimed and welcomed by the fans. So he will probably not be in the picture of IFP. ;)

Perhaps Sophie Hannah would be an option, we have yet to get a female continuation writer.

I would thought that would have put Horowitz in the picture with IFP rather than have counted against him.

I would thought that would have put Horowitz in the picture with IFP rather than have counted against him.

Actually it is me being a wee bit wicked as IFP is considered a bit thick by some very loud protesters of the continuation series, so from that point of view They would never consider Horrowitz.

I would not mind a decent female thriller writer as nobody could accuse her of writing like Fleming. As long as she can deliver as decently as Weinbergen did with her Moneypenny diaries. Which IMHO is the best continuation since Gardner.
    edited September 2014 Posts: 17,728

Actually it is me being a wee bit wicked as IFP is considered a bit thick by some very loud protesters of the continuation series, so from that point of view They would never consider Horrowitz.

I would not mind a decent female thriller writer as nobody could accuse her of writing like Fleming. As long as she can deliver as decently as Weinbergen did with her Moneypenny diaries. Which IMHO is the best continuation since Gardner.

Ah, I see! I think that you may have a point there, sadly.
    Actually I would object to Horrowitz as there must be other talented writers out there ready to write a good Bond tale, AH is already very much committed to the SH books and as such I would rather see him write a few more of them than the 007 series.
    Actually I would object to Horrowitz as there must be other talented writers out there ready to write a good Bond tale, AH is already very much committed to the SH books and as such I would rather see him write a few more of them than the 007 series.

Well fair enough. I can't think currently of anyone who would be suitable except Frederick Forsyth or Ken Follett both of which wouldn't do it.
  • Poirot, Holmes and Bond couldn't be more different but as a fan of all three, it is more the methodology and the relative artistic success of the associated continuation novels that intrigues me.
    In a certain way, Bond is a fairly straight forward case and should have been a no brainer whilst Holmes and Poirot are, in my opinion, more complex to continue as both are very character driven.
    Ironically, from many fans perspective, it is the latter that have succeeded whilst Bond has stumbled and I do think that the rigour and relationship with the respective estates has a lot to do with it.
    Hanna is an extremely accomplished author who went to Mathew Prichard, Agatha's grandson and chairman of her estate, with a plot outline and a bucket full of enthusiasm for Poirot. Having persuaded him, they stayed close throughout the project and the result is pure gold.
    Surely this is something that IFP could learn from?
  • Whoever it is should set it in present day. Deaver's book did so and in timeline followed Benson's books. Faulks was very good for what it was, but would have been better as a post-Benson effort. As for Boyd's, nothing would have helped that disjointed work that seemed to be two false starts pasted together with a weak segue.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Deaver's book didn't follow anything, it was a reboot.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I much enjoyed Faulks' novel and would readily read another, but one question: What is Christopher Wood doing these days? His novelizations were extraordinary IMHO.
    Deaver's book didn't follow anything, it was a reboot.
    You are right of course, but I think he meant that the timeline moved forward from where Benson left off in 2002. At least that's what I think he meant- that Deaver like Benson, wrote Bond in the now as did Gardner of course.

I would be happy to see someone else pick up Deaver's continuity, just not Deaver himself. He blew it.
    Actually a new writer could just ignore Deaver's work and pick-up Bond in the present. We don't need a back story. We know what he's about.

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    That makes sense.

Y'know what, the hell with it, I'll take over as the next continuation author! I can write pretty well.
    That makes sense.

Y'know what, the hell with it, I'll take over as the next continuation author! I can write pretty well.

Just be forewarned that it's a poisoned chalice.
    I've had novelization success over on Fanfiction.net.
    I've had novelization success over on Fanfiction.net.

Care to provide a link? :)
    https://www.fanfiction.net/u/2327838/

That's a direct link to my profile. Shouldn't be hard to find my Bond works.
    https://www.fanfiction.net/u/2327838/

That's a direct link to my profile. Shouldn't be hard to find my Bond works.

Thank you for that, @Agent007391!
    Leave reviews.
  • 007InVT007InVT Classified

As a fan of Foyle's War I wouldn't be unhappy with Horowitz next, although still rooting for Charles Cumming.

• As a fan of Foyle's War I wouldn't be unhappy with Horowitz next, although still rooting for Charles Cumming.
    [/quote]

I vacillate between Higson, Horowitz and Cumming.
    I think Cumming is a fabulous writer of Spy thrillers (exception Milner series) but he hasn't proved his period chops and frankly I'm dead against a modern day reboot.
    Higson on the other hand knows the character and has demonstrated his Bond credentials but can he make the transition to adult 007?
    Horowitz has covered the spectrum but without Bond involvement.
    Decisions ....decisions ......
    We shouldn't worry too much. Doubtless IFP will get James Patterson to do a Jimmy Bond,CIA reboot!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!
  • Congratulations to all that rooted for Anthony Horowitz !
    A splendid result that will doubtless see 007 regain his literary momentum.
  • Campbell2Campbell2 Epsilon Rho Rho house, Bending State University
    edited October 2014 Posts: 299
    Picked up Stormbreaker yesterday, halfway through already. It's fun so far, a slick read, I'm pleasantly surprised. Gives me hope for Horowitz trying his hand on Bond.