FANTASTILICIOUS FUN FOR FILM FANS 089: your top 10's of 2020 and most anticipated films of 2021?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @haserot, Leo is a great choice. I too at one point thought he was just another pretty boy, hired to amuse teen girls. But he has become one of the great actors of today.
    McConnaughey.

I used to despise his performances. All of them. I felt he made a huuuuuuge string of terrible movies, and even the great ones (DAC, ATTK) featured performances from him that I disliked.

Then the past year happened. Dallas Buyers Club. I passed it off as a fluke, his amazing performance chalked down to an excellent director, phenomenal supporting cast and most of all, a brilliant script. He was fucking wonderful in this movie.

But, I considered it a one-off...

..until True Detective happened and he managed to upstage Woody goddamn Harrelson.
    <center><font color=#E9AB17 size=6><b>011</b>
    Star Wars or Star Trek. Which series entertains you best?</font></center>

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Were I 17 again I would answer Star Wars, but I grew up on Trek. Trek could be real science fiction; Star Wars was epic space adventure. While Wars is fun, Trek is thought provoking. So, no contest for me, really.
    I grok Spock. :)>-
    Star Wars
    Star Wars
    Star Wars

Never have been a Trekkie.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Star Wars.
    Timeless.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited September 2014 Posts: 16,328
    Delete.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I guess I'd have to say Star Wars because almost nothing can top the Original Trilogy for me. However, Trek has put out way more of their product on the market throughout the years. If I think of all the episodes of the television shows that I enjoyed and all of the good films that they have made then it seriously outnumbers anything "Wars" related. This also means that they have produced more duds as well though. By far. Then again, did Trek ever produce anything more massively disappointing than the Prequels? I'd have to say no from my personal point of view because I never had my expectations so enormously high for a Trek film even if it did disappoint me. So, yeah, still going with Star Wars just because it was my first love of the two.
    To be fair I've never been the hugest of Star Wars fans either.
    Star Trek. ;)
    10636200_534148836716042_4034525122298204487_n.jpg?oh=8b11bf98664c32cd7ddfc3a15f20cf10&oe=5493AA9F&__gda__=1418629927_0301962a73f8da697a73e05513d721ea
    Star Trek was my first scifi show and I was born on the day that ST was first aired on TV so that is a much a sign you'll ever get. ;)
    @Murdock, I don't recall Duke Nukem ever making it to Star Wars. :D
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Well he is wearing a Red shirt and just loves to photobomb. :))
    Murdock wrote: »
    Well he is wearing a Red shirt and just loves to photobomb. :))

Indeed, sir. :) I'd love to see Duke fight it out with Klingons.

Indeed, sir. :) I'd love to see Duke fight it out with Klingons.

Would you settle for a Gorn or Genetically engineered Khan? I don't have any Klingon figures yet. :p
    I get the overall appeal of Star Wars but for me I will say I find Star Trek and its universe more entertaining. Star Wars deep down has always been aimed at children for the most part while Star Trek always felt like it was geared for an older audience.
    Maybe its just me....
    Star Trek was good as TOS. The rest is so so.

I have to give Star Wars that it created such a massive impact in my childhood that I probably will see it again some time. Even the second three episodes.

Generally, I´m more the real life action type, who currently can´t stop putting in the The Raid disc ;-).
    i love to watch and enjoy both! But if i was forced to decide it would be Star Wars!
  • Love both, Khan and Empire two of my favourite movies and the respective peaks of each. Star Trek has City on the Edge of tomorrow also so wins for me. ;)
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Star Wars by a long stretch.
    Not only was it a massive part of my childhood. But (I'm treading on thin ice here) Star Trek has had so many spin-offs and different shows. It's like flogging a dead horse a bit.
    The same too of course can be said of Star Wars these days. But Trek has rarely interested me.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Star Wars. Han Solo is a much better ladies man than Kirk.
    edited September 2014 Posts: 17,687
    Benny wrote: »
    Not only was it a massive part of my childhood. But (I'm treading on thin ice here) Star Trek has had so many spin-offs and different shows. It's like flogging a dead horse a bit.
    The Original series alone was more important to Humanity than any other sci-fi show or movie series ever made. I'll tread on thick ice here.
    ;)
    Murdock, back up?
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    That's why Doctor Who has so many damn fans, right?
    That's why Doctor Who has so many damn fans, right?
    Do not damn the Doctor Who fans; Doctor Who is brilliant as well! =D>
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Benny wrote: »
    The Original series alone was more important to Humanity than any other sci-fi show or movie series ever made. I'll tread on thick ice here.
    ;)
    Murdock, back up?

The Original Series is the Best series of the franchise ten fold. In my honest opinion. the only series to come close to being as good as TOS was Deep Space Nine. Next Gen was good but it had it's share of faulty concepts. (Prime Directive.) Voyager...Eh... Enterprise...Ehhhhh. As for the movies. Most of them are good. Including the Reboots. While flawed, carry the "FUN" essence of TOS. Avoid Generations and Nemesis. Insurrection is okay. Final Frontier. Ehhhh. TMP: Too much style over substance. The rest are good.
    edited September 2014 Posts: 17,687
    The Original Series is the Best series of the franchise
    Thanks bro! We reach!
    Star Wars is great no doubt (I own a lightsaber & a stormtrooper blaster I made myself), but Trek was true science fiction/adventure at its best.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    The Original Series is the Best series of the franchise
    Thanks bro! We reach!
    Star Wars is great no doubt (I own a lightsaber & a stormtrooper blaster I made myself), but Trek was true science fiction/adventure at its best.

Indeed. I love Star Wars too. Though in my mind, the Prequels don't exist.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Star Wars is better.
    Doctor Who beat Star Trek by three years.
    Never been a Trekkie. :-@
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited November 2014 Posts: 4,399
    (deleted)
    Star Wars is even better than Doctor Who.