the NFL thread

HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---

not sure if there is an existing thread dedicated to the National Football League here or not (if so, please close this one down)... but with the NFL season about to begin here stateside I figured I would create a thread for those here who enjoy the sport to have a place to discuss it...

please, keep the trash talking to a minimum.. lets all be adults ;)

Comments

• AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited September 2014 Posts: 1,727
    Ni-iiice [img][/img] :D

GO PACKERS

FYI: Aaron Rodgers has a bionic arm. BOOYAH!! L-)
    Let's go Tampa !
    AceHole wrote: »

GO PACKERS

Guess this would not be the time to mention that i have been a UK based Seahawks fan over 30 years then!
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited November 2014 Posts: 4,399
    (deleted)
    RogueAgent wrote: »

GO PACKERS

Guess this would not be the time to mention that i have been a UK based Seahawks fan over 30 years then!

Well, Seattle are a real team (without an 'i', like so many of the big shot franchises) and I admire their balls.
    Plus Russel Wilson is the most underrated player in the NFL.
    And they have the best defense.
    And their loud stadium in the wet&windy NW is a very sucky place to have to go and play.

Basically Seahawks fans have it GOOOD right now :-)
    RogueAgent wrote: »

GO PACKERS

Well, Seattle are a real team (without an 'i', like so many of the big shot franchises) and I admire their balls.
    Plus Russel Wilson is the most underrated player in the NFL.
    And they have the best defense.
    And their loud stadium in the wet&windy NW is a very sucky place to have to go and play.

Basically Seahawks fans have it GOOOD right now :-)

That is really decent of you to say so. I never thought we would dominate the Bronco's like that in the Superbowl! Obviously i was ecstatic with the result though!

I always admired Brett Favre, absolutely outstanding Quaterback! If we can keep hold of Russel Wilson? I would love to see him become a legend of the game like Favre has imho.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited September 2014 Posts: 2,629
    The season has kicked off and the Oakland Raiders have just been eliminated from the playoffs.
    Kerim wrote: »
    The season has kicked off and the Oakland Raiders have just been eliminated from the playoffs.

:))

Funny but that means that the Raiders would ever reach the Playoffs...which they much like the Browns won't.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    (deleted)
    (deleted)
    Pleased to see Seattle get off to a winning start. Be a tough season ahead and really interesting to see how they perform this time around?
    @haserot
    Thanks for starting a NFL thread. See you're a Steelers fan, I'm a Forty Niner Faithful myself.
    About Thursday night's game: Green Bay has no running game and their defense is soft as pudding. What happened to them last night was no surprise.
    OHMSS69 wrote: »
    @haserot
    Thanks for starting a NFL thread. See you're a Steelers fan, I'm a Forty Niner Faithful myself.
    About Thursday night's game: Green Bay has no running game and their defense is soft as pudding. What happened to them last night was no surprise.

I didn't mind! ;) :))
    (deleted)
    HASEROT wrote: »
    i think Green Bay is one of the most over hyped teams in NFL - right up there with New England (who has benefitted from being in a weak division for the past 15 years).... I do think Green Bay is good, and still a dangerous team, but they aren't at the same level as they were when they beat my beloved Steelers in Super Bowl XLV - they were a force to be reckoned with then.. i think now they've been exposed a bit, their receiving core isn't as deep as years past... and their defense isn't getting any younger either, and they are almost in the same boat as my team is/was - but it also doesn't help when your big boulder in the middle of the line goes down with an injury, and no doubt without those running lanes being clogged up, teams will be trying to pound the ball up the middle on them..

but at the end of the day, i'll still pick them to win their divison as i can't see the Lions, Vikings or Bears knocking them off (though i think it will be close)... but i think the window may be closing for this current group of Packers players - and the time may be drawing near where they need to start retooling

I think you're right. For years I've said that Green Bay is a bad team with a great qb. You take Rodgers away, like last year, then you see how bad they really are. But, I may be slightly biased as a Vikings fan. I think that the Saints and Seahawks are the class of the NFC this year, and the road to the Super Bowl runs through those two teams. Denver, though, is by far the best team in the AFC, and I think Tom Brady is starting to regress.
    (deleted)
    Seattle scares me. I do think the Cardinals could overtake the Niners this year.
    Should have bet on Miami, Buffalo and Tennessee this week.
    HASEROT wrote: »
    i think Green Bay is one of the most over hyped teams in NFL - right up there with New England (who has benefitted from being in a weak division for the past 15 years).... I do think Green Bay is good, and still a dangerous team, but they aren't at the same level as they were when they beat my beloved Steelers in Super Bowl XLV - they were a force to be reckoned with then.. i think now they've been exposed a bit, their receiving core isn't as deep as years past... and their defense isn't getting any younger either, and they are almost in the same boat as my team is/was - but it also doesn't help when your big boulder in the middle of the line goes down with an injury, and no doubt without those running lanes being clogged up, teams will be trying to pound the ball up the middle on them..

but at the end of the day, i'll still pick them to win their divison as i can't see the Lions, Vikings or Bears knocking them off (though i think it will be close)... but i think the window may be closing for this current group of Packers players - and the time may be drawing near where they need to start retooling

Ok, ok... no need to rub it in ;)

I always admired Brett Favre, absolutely outstanding Quaterback! If we can keep hold of Russel Wilson? I would love to see him become a legend of the game like Favre has imho.

Yeah, great Q-back and player, but as a human, utter a-whole (Favre, that is...)

Wilson will be a better leader, and even though his accuracy/vision needs work he's still one the the best QB's around.
    The big plus he brings is that he is the very best at keeping the offense going and getting yards long after the play has completely broken down (even better than Rodgers at this)
    Collapsed pocket? You need R. Wilson.
    edited September 2014 Posts: 1,727
    "haserot wrote:
    agreed about Brady..... though i am not crying any tears over that, i never liked him as a player or as a person - nor do i think he is one of the greatest QBs to ever play the game - there are easily 10 QBs i would put above him on the all time list.. but hey, thats just my opinion - stats and analysts say differently. lol

Brady is/has always been the best at running Belichick's system. That's it.
    Now, if NFL offenses were all designed and run by control-freak-Bill, then Brady would indeed be the best QB ever.

Now let's all thank our lucky stars that New England's offense is actually, shock - horror(!) - in fact not the greatest thing since sliced bread (even if the East Coast sports media still insist it is, which they have been doing for a good 10 years now)

Yeah, great Q-back and player, but as a human, utter a-whole (Favre, that is...)

Wilson will be a better leader, and even though his accuracy/vision needs work he's still one the the best QB's around.
    The big plus he brings is that he is the very best at keeping the offense going and getting yards long after the play has completely broken down (even better than Rodgers at this)
    Collapsed pocket? You need R. Wilson.

Hopefully your boys will still have a great season? Long way to go and no doubt we will have losses too!

Hopefully your boys will still have a great season? Long way to go and no doubt we will have losses too!

Nope, GB will have another mediocre season, even Aaron Rodgers in a superman costume can't get us to the NFC champ' game. Because, you see, our defense has the consistency of English Trifle.

As for Seattle losing games... euhm... I struggle to see where those Seahawks' losses are going to come from :(
    vs. Broncos at home, big maybe. In San Fransisco, perhaps yes.
    Other than that you can sleep easy :D

Nope, GB will have another mediocre season, even Aaron Rodgers in a superman costume can't get us to the NFC champ' game. Because, you see, our defense has the consistency of English Trifle.

As for Seattle losing games... euhm... I struggle to see where those Seahawks' losses are going to come from :(
    vs. Broncos at home, big maybe. In San Fransisco, perhaps yes.
    Other than that you can sleep easy :D

It is great to have such a strong set up! Just going to make the most of it while it last's! :-bd
    Kerim wrote: »
    Seattle scares me. I do think the Cardinals could overtake the Niners this year.

Watching our opener against the Cowboys led me to this conclusion: Our Defense is in bad shape. Romo and the woeful Cowboys moved the ball at will and pushed our defense up and down the field all day. Had it not been for the overhyped and overpaid Tony Romo, The Cowboys might have beaten us.

The pass rush was non existent, the secondary was just godawful. Our offense looked sharp and Kaepernick is looking like he did a couple of years ago. He seems to be going thru his progressions (not throwing to Crabtree at every opportunity) and his passes are beautiful spirals.
    Of course one game does not a season make but if we don't get our defense together then third place is not too far off the mark.

Good riddance Ray Rice.
    Now that Ray Rice won't be an NFL player anymore is Jaynae gonna leave his sorry ass?
    Should have cashed in when he was still active.
    (deleted)
    Too many blows to the head... turns 'em into delinquents.