Celebrities you like that nobody else seems to

edited August 2014 in General Movies & TV Posts: 12,837
I remember someone (I think @OHMSS69 or @Creasy47) suggesting this a while back and all the talk about The Rock (who I really like) on the Bond 24 production thread reminded me of it so I thought I'd start it. This can be anyone. Actors, singers, footballers, comedians, whatever. Any famous person who you're a fan of that others seem to dislike.

Main one for me is Mark Wahlberg. I think he's great. He's a good actor who can do loads of different genres (action, drama and he's great at comedy), he's very likeable and he seems like a good bloke who's regretful of mistakes he made in the past. And yet I've read a lot of comments bashing him.

He was meant to be playing the main character in the Uncharted movie and everyone was complaining, saying he's a crappy choice. Why? I actually think he's perfect. Like I said, he does comedy well, he does action well, and he's got that sort of likeable everyman vibe that you need to play Nathan Drake.

And while his acting career didn't get off to a brilliant start he's made some great films over the years. Shooter, Ted, The Other Guys, etc.

Is it because of his Marky Mark days? Come on guys. Yeah he was crap but that was a long time ago. Is it because of Max Payne? Sure he was wrong for the part but the whole film was pretty bad and he did his best with a weak script.

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Interesting thread, @thelivingroyale :-).

Okay, here goes:
    - Steven Seagal: what can I say; boy's got moves.
    - Ryan Reynolds: I saw Blade Trinity and I was sold! "You horse ******* *****!"
    - Tanya Roberts: she's hot and she's aged VERY well.
    - Topher Grace: this guy delivers my kind of humour; I like him very much!
    - Jon Lajoie: you love him or you hate him; I love this Canadian comedian! :D
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2014 Posts: 15,686
    Nicolas Cage :) Sure he makes pretty bad movies, but I find him to be very likeable and pretty cool, so I enjoy watching him in his flicks.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited August 2014 Posts: 5,080
    Terri Hatcher! I thought she was great in Tomorrow Never Dies! Such a tragic character...

And agreed with @Dimi about Tanya. I thought she was a very likeable character in AVTAK, and she was very natural during the scenes in her home.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Steven Seagal is definitely one for me. Under Siege 2 is one of the best action movies out there.
    edited August 2014 Posts: 23,447
    @Agent007391, excellent choice, sir! Don't you just love that score by the way? :-) Poledouris at his best.

@MayDayDiVicenzo, I bet she was very natural in that shower scene. ;-)
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 1,181
    @DaltonCraig007 I agree, Nicholas Cage is one of my favorites.

I also like Kelsey Grammer and Sylvester Stallone. Sure, you can find some real stinkers in there catalog of movies, but there's also some gems too. I haven't seen Expendables 3, but I need to because I think Kelsey is in that one too!
  • Never been a huge Segal fan (although I liked the Under Seige films) Always thought Van Damme was much cooler.

Actually going off topic for a minute: 80s/90s action movie face off: Two on two, Sly and Arnold vs Van Damme and Segal. A listers vs B listers, guns vs martial arts. Who do you reckon would win (movie fight as Segal and Van Damme would probably definetely win a real fight since they're trained martial artists)?

@Ed83 Sylvester Stallone is actually my favourite actor. He's my childhood hero. Yeah he's given some crap performances and he's been in some crap films but he's a great actor (watch First Blood if you think he can't act), amazing in the Rocky films and the definition of badass in the Rambo films.

Anyway, here's another for me: Frankie Boyle (Scottish comedian). Maybe he does go a bit too far at times but I think he's really funny.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @Agent007391, excellent choice, sir! Don't you just love that score by the way? :-) Poledouris at his best.

The score, the cast, the majority of the acting (the niece comes off a little badly)... There's very little I don't like about Under Siege 2. Unlike the first, it didn't need Tommy Lee Jones or Gary Busey to be good.
    @thelivingroyale Stallone is also the idol of one of my best friends from school. He recently fulfilled a childhood dream of meeting him in London.

10606180_10204253919049251_6462542651776372976_n.jpg?oh=e099329c5568eab56a53155cdbd1fc5c&oe=547F1050
    Though I don't know your friend, @WillyGalore, that is a great picture. I can imagine your friend being extremely proud of that picture.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Oh, lucky him! That's a great photo, Willy. :)

Who would I say I like a whole lot and maybe many others don't?
    Well, here are the first two I can think of:

Val Kilmer - forever, yeah! The guy can act and I love watching him. Past 15 years have not been in his favor for work, and yes he is a bit eccentric, but he is still a favorite actor of mine.

Anne Hathaway - has the wave of hate (which I feel was totally undeserved) for this talented and lovely actress faded yet? I sure hope so. She is definitely one of my favorites.

@thelivingroyale Stallone is also the idol of one of my best friends from school. He recently fulfilled a childhood dream of meeting him in London.

10606180_10204253919049251_6462542651776372976_n.jpg?oh=e099329c5568eab56a53155cdbd1fc5c&oe=547F1050

That is awesome! I would have been buzzing to have met someone as famous as that!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2014 Posts: 15,686
    I don't know how old Stallone is exactly, 67? 68? But he is more bad-ass and in-shape than 90% of people half his age and even 1/3rd of his age.
  • @thelivingroyale Stallone is also the idol of one of my best friends from school. He recently fulfilled a childhood dream of meeting him in London.

Thanks for sharing that @WillyGalore. God I'm jealous of him :P
    Nicolas Cage :) Sure he makes pretty bad movies, but I find him to be very likeable and pretty cool, so I enjoy watching him in his flicks.

I second that love Nic Cage and find even his worst movies often hilarious.

@4EverBonded, yeah, Val Kilmer! I like the guy. Even though he appears to be totally unpleasant on set and he single handedly destroyed a rare species of bugs during the making of The Island Of Dr. Moreau, I am almost always a fan of his performances, be it in HEAT, The Saint, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and - shock to some - Batman Forever. :-)

@DaltonCraig007 and @fire_and_ice, Nic Cage is a difficult one for me. Half his performances I tend to enjoy, the other half I downright hate. I HATED Cage in Ghost Rider and LOVED him in Ghost Rider 2. Go figure. I hated him in The Wicker Man and loved him in Drive Angry. His performance in Next was IMO just caustic but I found him to be phenomenal in Lord Of War, Bad Lieutenant, Kick-Ass, Snake Eyes, ... I'm torn on Nic Cage. ;-)
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Hmmm, people I like that nobody else seems to? Maybe Ted Danson.

Celebrity-wise, I have no idea.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I wouldn't say he's disliked but when Action hero's are mentioned, He's rarely brought up That man? Charles Bronson!
    death-wish-3-original.jpg
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Murdock wrote: »
    when Action hero's are mentioned, He's rarely brought up
    No one dares mention his name, because, you know.

file_199438_0_Death_Wish_Charles_Bronson-320x180.jpg
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I have been meaning to go to Missouri.
    Murdock wrote: »
    I have been meaning to go to Missouri.

:)) Yeah I remember that clip. That's just silly ;)

3 names immediately pop up in my mind:

- Halle Berry
    - Jean-Claude Van Damme
    - Misca Barton

If DAD didn't put you off her then I'm certain Movie 43 will :p
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    3 names immediately pop up in my mind:

- Halle Berry
    - Jean-Claude Van Damme
    - Misca Barton

If DAD didn't put you off her then I'm certain Movie 43 will :p

I have seen Movie 43, and though it is quite possibly the worst film I have ever seen, it didn't put me off Berry. And Catwoman did her no favours, either. But that's 2 films I didn't like. On the other hand, there is: Things We Lost In The Fire, Monster's Ball, The Rich Man's Wife, Face Of An Angel, The Call, Race The Sun, Perfect Stranger, and Losing Isaiah, there's at least 8 film that I did like.
    What about The Flintstones? That was always a favourite as a child for me:

God its like a prototype for Jinx :\">
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited August 2014 Posts: 13,882
    The Flintstones sits down in my bottom 5 Halle Berry films, from my ranking:

14. Die Another Day (2002)
    15. The Filntstones (1994)
    16. Dark Tide (2012)
    17. Catwoman (2004)
    18. Movie 43 (2013)

Tamahori must have been a Flintsones fan. I'm surprised he didn't call Jinx, Sharon Stone. ;)
    I completely forgot she was in The Flintstones. Shows you how long it's been since I saw that.
    One actor I really like that should be talked about a lot more is Jeremy Piven. He was by far my favorite guy on Entourage. He is is absolutly phenomenal in everything he apears in. Even if he's in a movie for 5 minutes, like 'The Kingdom', he stands out.
    One actor I really like that should be talked about a lot more is Jeremy Piven. He was by far my favorite guy on Entourage. He is is absolutly phenomenal in everything he apears in. Even if he's in a movie for 5 minutes, like 'The Kingdom', he stands out.

Did Piven not appear in quite a few similar projects as John Cussack.

I am a great fan of John Cussack and find him an enjoyable and versatile actor.

one of my all time favorite movies Grosse Point Blanc which also made me fall in love with Minnie Driver. Her performance in GE was great, and she is actually a great singer and a fairly enjoyable actress to watch.
    I agree with @SaintMark, Cussack is awesome! I always watch the stuff he's in. I recently saw 'The Numbers Station', fun little flick, and Cussack was enjoyable in that one.
    Piven and Cusack are best friends, which is why they appear in so many films together. And I agree about Gross Pointe Blank. It's one of my fav films.