Coming soon to cinemas near you! - The upcoming films thread

Comments

• edited August 2014 Posts: 6,396
    Wow. Sin City: A Dame To Kill For has bombed in the US. It opened in 8th place taking just $6.5 million in it's opening weekend.

I didn't see that coming.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I'm surprised, too! I still want to see it. It looks interesting. I never would have thought it would do that poorly. :(
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I saw it coming. The movie's probably just as good as the first one, but then...

9 years pass.

Then comes a Friday and I bound from my bed, excited as a kid at Christmas, only to find myself staring at the damn floor of my damn room.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Let me tell u something funny. I just typed screw America, and suddenly my internet dropped out, and my bookmarks were in the opposite order. Well, screw you, NSA. Or PST (the Norwegian equivalent).
    Seriously that happened?
    Yep. I am a menace as you know,
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    What, exactly, does this have to do with upcoming films?
    edited August 2014 Posts: 12,459
    OK, not upcoming very soon but here is an article on Ridley Scott's next and future proejcts: http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/08/25/ridley-scott-the-martian-blade-runner-prometheus-sequels/

Well, I do want to see the Blade Runner sequel. :) And apparently that may be next up for him.

What, exactly, does this have to do with upcoming films?
    It was a response to how poorly Sin City 2 does in America. Not that I have seen it yet, but I will.

Wow. Sin City: A Dame To Kill For has bombed in the US. It opened in 8th place taking just $6.5 million in it's opening weekend.

I didn't see that coming.

Can't say that I'm all that surprised. Even though I do want to see the film, there wasn't really all that much chance of it being well received in America. A sequel coming so many years after a terrible film generally doesn't translate into much success.
    But, people liked Sin City.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 2,491
    http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/sony-moving-forward-with-23-jump-street-will-jonah-hill-channing-tatum-go-to-medical-school-20140909?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

AWWW YISS..

But if the directors don't return for 3rd one it will more than likely be the worst of the movies :(

I really really ike the directors' sense of humour. I think those guys did Lego Movie too which I really liked too

edit:

Rodney Rothman which was a writer on 22 Jump Street will be back. Yiss..
    Now You See Me 2 set for June 10th, 2016. Mark Ruffalo, Woody Harrelson, Jesse Eisenberg, Isla Fisher, Dave Franco, Morgan Freeman & Michael Caine all returning with Jon M. Chu taking over directing duties!

I really liked the first one but I felt that the movie was fine with the way it ended, I definitelly don't think this one needs a sequel.
  • http://www.cinemablend.com/m/new/Robert-Downey-Jr-May-Join-Michael-Fassbender-Assassin-Creed-67192.html

Huh. I like Robert Downey Jr so I'm happy he's in it, plus he's huge right now thanks to the Iron Man films so his involvement might help make it a hit which could mean sequels. The more I think about it, the more I think he's actually a good choice. I hope he does an accent though. In fact that goes for the whole cast; Italian accents please.

So if this is true and he is playing Da Vinci, the historical bit of the film will be based on the second game. I'm not thrilled about this idea. I loved the Renaissance set games and I think Ezio is not only the best character of the series but one of the best characters ever. But if they adapt the game directly, they're just going to risk pissing everyone off and ruining it. Plus they won't get the actor from the games and nobody is ever gonna be better in the role than that guy, Ezio isn't going to feel like Ezio without his voice. I think Fassbender is too old to play Desmond too.

Plus the game is really long with loads of characters and there's no way they're gonna be able to fit all that into a film. It'd be better suited to a TV show.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, they should introduce a whole new assassin in a whole new time period (like they do with the games), especially for the film. Have modern day stuff if you have to but don't bother with Desmond or any of that. Tell a whole new story set in the same universe as the games. That way everyone is happy.

But instead they're just going to have Ezio and it might be a good film in it's own right but it won't live up to the games.
  • They're making another Jump Street film? Cool, I loved the first two. It's surprising because I thought the end of the second ruled out any more sequels. I think maybe ditch the whole school setting now , just to spice things up a bit. Keep Ice Cube and everything but think of a new story, don't just send them to school to stop a drug dealer again. They got away with it in 22 because it was self aware, they took the piss out of it being similar to the first, but doing that again would be a step too far I reckon.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    If they're starting with AC2, I might give this one a miss. Ezio is popular, but I wasn't engaged by him as other gamers were. But I am sure I read that Fassbender said that the film won't be a full-on adaption of the game(s), but rather inspiried by it/them.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    They're making another Jump Street film? Cool, I loved the first two. It's surprising because I thought the end of the second ruled out any more sequels. I think maybe ditch the whole school setting now , just to spice things up a bit. Keep Ice Cube and everything but think of a new story, don't just send them to school to stop a drug dealer again. They got away with it in 22 because it was self aware, they took the piss out of it being similar to the first, but doing that again would be a step too far I reckon.

I remember when it was first announced that they would be going to medical school next IIRC.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 12,837
    That was a gag at the end of the second one. Once the film ended there were loads of short clips teasing loads of (fake) sequels, starting with them going to medical school and then getting more and more mental (there was a ballet school one, a flight school one, and at one point Seth Rogen replaced Jonah Hill because of a contract dispute).

So I don't think they're actually going to do one in medical school.
    How about action / adventure? The Equalizer looks good as does "Walk among Tombstones". I was not that impressed with Liam Neeson's "Non Stop". I hope "Tombstones" will be much better.
    As for Horror, "Honeymoon" has a limited release and is difficult to find. May have to just wait for the DVD... ":Annabelle" looks like it is full of frights. Can't wait to see that next month.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited September 2014 Posts: 1,257
    Looks like the heavily anticipated Deadpool movie got the greenlight
    deadpool-official-103859.jpg

http://comicbook.com/2014/09/18/deadpool-movie-officially-announced-for-2016-fantastic-four-resc/

Also for you guys discussing the Assassin's Creed film:
    Meanwhile, Assassin's Creed has been bumped off its date and left blowing in the breeze. Things don't seem to be going too well for that film, despite Michael Fassbender's passion for it, and I wonder if Ubisoft's newness in Hollywood might not have something to do with this. That now empty slot, on August 7th 2015, will now go to Fantastic Four, moving back from June 19th.
  • Not that fussed as I still have the games (two new ones this year :D ) but I am a bit annoyed that such a potentially brilliant film has been pushed back and yet another superhero movie will take it's place. I'm so sick of those films now.
  • Huh. So not long after I was talking about how they should go with an original story and not adapt the games, I found this

http://screenrant.com/assassins-creed-movie-setting-characters/

Fantastic news. I like the Spanish Inquisition setting, the premise sounds great (already this new modern day hero seems a million times more interesting than Desmond) and it's a new story set in the same universe just like I wanted :D Can't wait.

Also, since this will be set around the same time as AC II, I expect an Ezio reference. I don't want him to feature but something subtle like a mention of an assassin in Italy making a name for himself would be cool.
    Trailer for Michael Mann´s Blackhat

Sh**, does this look good, like Mann in top form!

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The trailer for 'Blackhat' is absolutely stunning and beautiful. Mann is back and I am looking forward to January.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 5,767
    dragonsky wrote: »
    As for the bladder, I had no problem sitting through each TLOTR film and wouldn´t have minded watching two in row (ok that would have given me the chance to hop to the loo in between).
    As for the eye-popping, I´d rather put my money on the Mann film, or wait a little longer for Mad Max Fury Road. From what I know about Mann´s films, they are aesthetic from start to finish. From what I know about Nolan´s films, I think they are not as good as the media hype suggests.

• edited October 2014 Posts: 5,767
    Mamoru Ohii, director of Ghost in the Shell, seems to be doing what he does best. Stylish frames, probably a story noone really understands, and a chick with guns. And the best: Lance Henriksen is in it:

Clint Eastwood´s American Sniper.
    Does this trailer look good or what?

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    American Sniper does look compelling, though the story is made all the more tragic with the knowledge of what became of the late Chris Kyle.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 316
    I for one am most excited to see Unbroken. The book was breathtaking.youtube.com/watch?v=kk1M_HwmFMM