Coming soon to cinemas near you! - The upcoming films thread

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I want less Superhero movies and more this.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Yes, me. Also coming soon are new Fantastic Four films. Oh, happy day.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Yeah, but everybody knows those'll suck. I think I'm one of the nine people on Earth that liked both of the Tim Story-directed FF films.
    They've made one film in this series. It didn't do as well as expected at the box office and it got a very mixed reception (personally I was one of the people that thought it was crap). So why are they announcing all these sequels? And why so many years in advance, when none of them have begun production?

And don't we have enough superhero films already? Jesus. It's bad enough that why have multiple Marvel films a year (this year there's been a new Captain America, Spiderman and X Men film and that Guardians film) but now there's gonna be loads of DC films too? Is anyone else really sick of them at this point?
    Looks like the current fashion doesn´t it? I personally long for some action films without any superpowers. I can only imagine how hard it must be for Michael Mann to make a film like Blackhat these days, when every executive wants a 3D superpower flic. But as long as all the kids go to see funny costumes in 3D they´ll keep investing all the big bucks into those films.

• RC7RC7
    boldfinger wrote: »
    They've made one film in this series. It didn't do as well as expected at the box office and it got a very mixed reception (personally I was one of the people that thought it was crap). So why are they announcing all these sequels? And why so many years in advance, when none of them have begun production?

And don't we have enough superhero films already? Jesus. It's bad enough that why have multiple Marvel films a year (this year there's been a new Captain America, Spiderman and X Men film and that Guardians film) but now there's gonna be loads of DC films too? Is anyone else really sick of them at this point?
    Looks like the current fashion doesn´t it? I personally long for some action films without any superpowers. I can only imagine how hard it must be for Michael Mann to make a film like Blackhat these days, when every executive wants a 3D superpower flic. But as long as all the kids go to see funny costumes in 3D they´ll keep investing all the big bucks into those films.

While most are mere cash-ins, Gaurdians in IMAX 3D is the best film experience I've had in a very long time. Pure, unadulterated fun, from start to finish. That's what happens when you take a chance on your director and let him run with it. I can't praise it highly enough. Whether people like comic book characters or not, Marvel are producing some quality content, consistently.

If you see Guardians and don't come out exhilarated I worry for you.
    RC7 wrote: »

While most are mere cash-ins, Gaurdians in IMAX 3D is the best film experience I've had in a very long time. Pure, unadulterated fun, from start to finish. That's what happens when you take a chance on your director and let him run with it. I can't praise it highly enough. Whether people like comic book characters or not, Marvel are producing some quality content, consistently.

Well,the trailer does a great job in hiding anything that might be funny in that movie. In my view it doesn't get any more bland (still talking about the trailer). My feeling was:" I probably won't watch it even on TV" (which I have to admit is my general feeling these days about most of the current movies)
  • RC7RC7
    Matt_Helm wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »

Well,the trailer does a great job in hiding anything that might be funny in that movie. In my view it doesn't get any more bland (still talking about the trailer). My feeling was:" I probably won't watch it even on TV" (which I have to admit is my general feeling these days about most of the current movies)

I feel for you.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited August 2014 Posts: 40,372
    Here's the trailer for 'The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel':

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=121593

I really loved the first one and the sequel looks to be just as good.
  • RC7 wrote: »
    Whether people like comic book characters or not, Marvel are producing some quality content, consistently.

I don't mind the Marvel films but I wouldn't say they're brilliant either. I do think they're massively overpraised and it does annoy me how they keep churning so many out. I loved the first one (Iron Man) but I think the problem is that all of the sequels have followed the same formula as the first one: Kid friendly light hearted blockbuster with some funny lines and tons of CGI. I think building this whole universe of films is very ambitious, and they are enjoyable films but the same thing over and over gets dull after a while, especially when they milk it and release multiple films per year.

I still think the best superhero film is by far Kick Ass. Funny, clever, violent and refreshing. I really liked the Nolan Batman films too. And Dredd was amazing. The others I've seen, I'm pretty indifferent towards.

I've never really been into superheroes though. I grew up watching James Bond, John Mcclane, The Man With No Name, Rambo, etc. Real badasses. Batman and all the rest of them seem a bit lame in comparison (except Judge Dredd because he's awesome).
    I think the only set of Marvel films that have impressed me consistently so far are the 'Captain America' films. The only Hulk film I enjoyed was the one with Edward Norton, I only liked the first 'Iron Man,' and I only liked the first 'Thor.' 'The Avengers' was really good, looking forward to seeing how AOU turns out now that filming is done and post-production work can begin (and, sometime soon, a trailer). 'Captain America' seems to get better and better. Loved the first one, and the second one blew me away. One of the best films I've seen this year. Half superhero film, half political thriller, and it appears the third one will be the same way, which makes me happy.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Here's the trailer for 'The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel':

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=121593

I really loved the first one and the sequel looks to be just as good.

Always meant to sit down and watch the first one? But sadly never got round too it!
    @RogueAgent, give it a shot sometime soon and see what you think! It's definitely a feel-good movie, but can get a bit sad/emotional here and there.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

I hope Snyder has decided to cast her once again, and she isn't just visiting him. I loved her in 'Sucker Punch.'
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    She has 6 films in the pipeline, leading into next year. But I wouldn't be surprised if Snyder has fit her into the film someplace.
    @RogueAgent, give it a shot sometime soon and see what you think! It's definitely a feel-good movie, but can get a bit sad/emotional here and there.

Yep i will do and let you know my thoughts. If the cast is anything to go by? I think i will enjoy it.
    I can not find "Rate the last movie you've seen in cinema" so I'll post here:

GOTG: Great movie. Really funny. I think that 8.7 on IMDb is too much for it but the humour in it was great.The characters were great.

But the things I didn't like were how this movie looked like every Marvel movie ever and I think we needed some better action scenes. However with that said this might be one of the most original marvel movies as far as characters and pure fun go.

8/10 altough I'll have to say it's a little bit overrated. I am definitelly looking forward to GOTG 2 and I really want to see Avengers/GOTG movies in the future
    Thanks @Creasy47

Also I think that this should be added here too:

http://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2014/08/12/u-n-c-l-e-movie-delayed-to-august-2015/

Man from UNCLE delayed till August
    Yet another one delayed. Shame, I was quite looking forward to that. It's a bit worrisome, as most of the films that do poorly or are considered 'bad' end up in the months of January or August. I thought 'Elysium' was going to be an exception to that rule last year, but I was dead wrong.
    I'm always very wary when a film has to undergo such a big re-shoot. It doesn't bode well so far.

Although I guess an August release date is still slightly more favourable than January.
    There are some rumours these days about a possible Fast and Furious/Expendables colab movie in the future.

It's nothing as of right now but imagine if that actually became real ?
    dragonsky wrote: »
    There are some rumours these days about a possible Fast and Furious/Expendables colab movie in the future.

Then it would be a damn crowded movie. They could stand all the actors in one line, pan along them all, and you´d have got your 90min.

dragonsky wrote: »

Then it would be a damn crowded movie. They could stand all the actors in one line, pan along them all, and you´d have got your 90min.

Plus considering how bad Expendables 3 was, it shouldn't happen at all. The Fast and Furious franchise works as their own separate entity. Combining that with the expendables is a recipe for disaster.
    I wanna see Johnny Depp´s new film:

And why didn´t anyone tell me about this:

Wow...that 'Drive Hard' movie looks like one of the worst piles of trash I've ever seen. Shoddy editing and camerawork, and it further saddens me that Thomas Jane and John Cusack aren't as popular as they used to be. Someone put them in more A-list films, please.
    Wow...that 'Drive Hard' movie looks like one of the worst piles of trash I've ever seen. Shoddy editing and camerawork, and it further saddens me that Thomas Jane and John Cusack aren't as popular as they used to be. Someone put them in more A-list films, please.

I concur, that looks like a bad TV movie from the 90's.
    edited August 2014 Posts: 13,882
    I watched Drive Hard back in May, I may have posted about it in the Last Movie Watched thread.

EDIT
    Yes, I did...

"Not to me confused wit Drive Angry or Die Hard. It's not one of my top 10 John Cusack films, of which I just so happen to have made a list of, which can be seen <a href="http://www.listal.com/list/my-top-10-films-john">here</a>. If you have 90 minutes to spare, and are in the mood for a goofy action comedy, I guess you could do worse."

If you're a fan of Cusack, watch it just to tick it off. For what it's worth, I have ranked Drive Hard 16th out of the 20 films I have seen of Cusack.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    The ever lovely Rosamund Pike has just been on "This Morning" talking about her upcoming film "Hector and the Search of Happiness" that will be released tomorrow.
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 2,491
    Guys sorry for hijacking this thread but I made a video (which..well I guess will be funny only for people from the Balkans but I wanted to share it anyway) from the final scene of GotG (SPOILERS !!)

youtube.com/watch?v=TlgZ8yAAJ4c