The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I don't see what Baron Samedi had to gain from forewarning Bond about Rosie's betrayal.
    No,imo it was Solitaire,i have never thought it would be anyone else.
    In DAF if the diamonds hidden in Frank's body were fake, then why weren't they cremated with his body?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    OHMSS69 wrote: »
    In DAF if the diamonds hidden in Frank's body were fake, then why weren't they cremated with his body?

MOVIE MAGIC!

53b285b680f60.gif
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    OHMSS69 wrote: »

Bush%20confused.jpg
    It's a Guy Hamilton, Tom Mankiewicz Bond film.....what was the question again.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited July 2014 Posts: 45,489
    At atmospheric pressure, the melting point of diamonds is 4330 degrees C, while a cremation oven only holds a temperature of 870-980 degrees. The plan was flawless. If the fake diamonds were made of a carbon composite.

Edit: I have checked further, and if they were made of quartz glass, the melting point for that is about 1600 degrees.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    On the other hand, Bond does notice the pack of cards in the store, which I suppose alludes to someone else who could've purchased them, found out what they meant, and sent it to him. Seems to be a bit of a stretch, though, so I still say that it's Solitaire.

It is never resolved. "Who the hell sent him that card?"
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    So, the data streaming on both my special edition and ultimate edition of DAD, wont shut off. Even if I go into the menu, and select it as off. So, at some random point during the movie, it starts showing the data stream. (The data stream is a behind the scenes perspective of a particular scene, whilst the movie is still playing.)

So far, its happened on the fencing scene, Aston vs Jag scene and the Jinx/Frost cat fight.

Any suggestions?
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 6,396
    royale65 wrote: »
    So, the data streaming on both my special edition and ultimate edition of DAD, wont shut off. Even if I go into the menu, and select it as off. So, at some random point during the movie, it starts showing the data stream. (The data stream is a behind the scenes perspective of a particular scene, whilst the movie is still playing.)

So far, its happened on the fencing scene, Aston vs Jag scene and the Jinx/Frost cat fight.

Any suggestions?

As it's DAD, I suggest you just bin the DVD. ;-)

Seriously though, I've not heard of that happening before so I guess the disc has developed a fault.
    That's what I thought. So I upgraded to the Ultimate, and it's still happening. As if watching DAD isn't bad enough....
    royale65 wrote: »
    That's what I thought. So I upgraded to the Ultimate, and it's still happening. As if watching DAD isn't bad enough....

Perhaps there's an issue with your DVD player then. Do you have another?
    I've watched DAD on three DVD players, and it's still happening!

Perhaps its a sign........ ;-)
    Something that has ALWAYS bothered me about Licence to Kill despite how minor it is:

Nighttime, Isthmus City, Day 1:

Sanchez to Oriental narcotics kingpins: "Tomorrow I will take you all to the manufacturing facility."
    Bond attempts to kill Sanchez
    Bond abducted, rescued by Sanchez

Morning, Isthmus City, Day 2:

Bond wakes up, talks with Sanchez, plants doubts in Sanchez's mind about his operation
    Bond interrogates Pam and learns about the stingers

Nighttime, Isthmus City, Day 2:

Bond frames Krest and returns to the villa before Sanchez
    Sanchez congratulates and thanks Bond for his assistance, tells Bond he will be taking him somewhere the next day

Morning, Isthmus City, Day 3:

Bond and the drug kingpins are both taken to the drug facility

So... is this a script mistake? Is the facility tour postponed to the next day because of the assassination attempt on Sanchez?

Also, during the Wavekrest/seaplane sequence, why the hell do they still go ahead with the drug deal after Bond has been discovered and is still at large?
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 6,396
    I think you've answered your own question there SNS.

Because of the failed hit on Sanchez, the tour of the facility was postponed whilst Sanchez found out who was responsible for it.
    Maybe I missed something, but is it ever explained when 006 went rogue? Was he bent during the Arkhangelysk mission in the beginning of the film, and just faking his capture/death at the hands of Ourumov? Or did he survive the shooting (maybe Ourumov shot to maim or deafen) and explosion, and then make a deal with Ourumov for his freedom, and then become Janus? The latter seems unlikely, but if not, was he ever a loyal servant of the Empire? When exactly did he go bad?

I'm curious to hear your views on the subject.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    I think that question and the issue of how/whether he faked his death in the PTS has already been debated at some length. I don't believe there is a definitive right or wrong answer.
    Agreed on the lack of a truly definitive answer, but I boiled it down to this: he was rogue during the Arkhangelsk mission, Ourumov "killed him" with a blank round in the gun, and Trevelyan went off the radar for nine years to help build his organization and await the theft of the Tiger helicopter. The only hiccup in the plan was the altering of the detonation time of the bombs, resulting in his facial scars. Plus, nine years later, he may be just a fond memory, and nobody would expect him to rise and be Janus. I see it as a "revenge is a dish best served cold" sort of thing.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    The problem with Ourumov's "blank" is that in the exact same scene, without changing magazines, he kills one of his own. Is every other round a blank, or was that soldier faking both the freak out and the death?
    @Agent007391, I was going to comment on that, figured I'd wait until someone asked. I've no clue how blanks/live rounds work in a magazine, or if they're interchangeable. Ourumov had all of those men with him, so he could've had a magazine full of live rounds and a blank in the chamber, knowing that he wouldn't fire the weapon at all until he "shot" Trevelyan. Then, Trevelyan would be "dead" and he was free to use the live rounds on Bond as he attempted to escape.
    @Agent007391, I was going to comment on that, figured I'd wait until someone asked. I've no clue how blanks/live rounds work in a magazine, or if they're interchangeable. Ourumov had all of those men with him, so he could've had a magazine full of live rounds and a blank in the chamber, knowing that he wouldn't fire the weapon at all until he "shot" Trevelyan. Then, Trevelyan would be "dead" and he was free to use the live rounds on Bond as he attempted to escape.

That sounds like an overly complicated explanation for what was almost certainly just an oversight by the film-makers.

edited July 2014 Posts: 40,368
    Well it's my favorite Bond film so I try to look into and explain anything about it. No need to trash it. It's just my take on it.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    It is what it is, let your imagination figure it out. Not everything needs to be explained.
    Murdock wrote: »
    It is what it is, let your imagination figure it out. Not everything needs to be explained.

Perhaps my wording is off, then. I'm not "explaining" it, merely showing my take on it. There's no concrete right or wrong answer to it, but since it got brought up, that's how I see it going down.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Ourumov could have just shot past him with a live round. If he shot him, then we'd have no movie. :))
    Ourumov could have just shot past him with a live round. If he shot him, then we'd have no movie. :))

That's possible. We see the gun pointed at his head, but when the trigger is pulled, it's a close-up of Ourumov's face, so who knows. Could be that he just fires next to him, or he does use a blank and moves it away from him at the last second to not do damage and also not risk killing him.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Ourumov could have just shot past him with a live round.
    The most likely answer, I think.
    Part of our training on the gun range was to fill the magazine with a mix or real and 'dummy' rounds and try to accurately shoot/eject bad rounds as fast as possible. So theoretically you could mix real and fake rounds, but it sounds dangerous as hell. Ourumov better keep track if that's what he did.

Best bet, like you said, is one blank for OO6, and the rest were real.

I think the bigger head scratcher is why on earth Gen. Ourumov and his men were able to chase Bond outside, yet '3 minutes instead of 6' suddenly wasn't enough for OO6 to escape without getting burned.
    My guess is that only Ourumov was in on it and OO6 kept playing dead until everyone left
    @Master_Dahark, I think you just accept that they all 'escaped,' and I'm not sure how Trevelyan traveled just far enough to only got burned a little bit by the explosion. You can also notice (though this is more of a goof) that the runway and surrounding area is completely void of Ourumov and his men when the plane flies away and the facility explodes.
  • Did any of you think Tanner was going to be the new M in SF?
    Did any of you think Tanner was going to be the new M in SF?

Rory Kinnear is 10 years younger than Daniel Craig so that would never have been very plausible. The possibility never entered my head.