Timothy Dalton's Fisticuffs

edited March 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 19,339
Which Bond film do you think Dalton stood out in the fisticuffs department ?

He never really had a big fight scene per se IIRC so i would say it's the headbutt and scrap to get out of Sanchez's laboratory after being found out by Dario.

I
What do you think overall of Timothy Dalton's punching power ?

Comments

• LudsLuds MIA
    My favourite Dalton fight sequence has to be against Necros on the plane. Dalton threw a few big bombs, Necros was definitely a worthy henchman.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited March 2011 Posts: 13,882
    I say his best punch-up was against Necros too. Though Tim's Bond did like a good headbutt now and again. Off the top of my head, I count 2. 1 being the smiert spionam assassin in the TLD PTS, and 2 being Sanchez's goon at the Olympatec Centre in LTK.

For an actor whos backround was drama, i'd say he adapted very well.
    I must admit i like the 'Pushkin' scene in TLD as well,the way he seriously bashes his gun over the head of the Russian agent - that must have hurt !!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    With so few films Dalton never got enough of a chance to show off what he could do, so yes the Necros fight is the best.
    TLD: fight with Necros on the plane
    LTK: bar fight with Dario
  • I love Dalton but I'll admit his strengths were in his acting not his physicality. His fights rank in the middle for me. He wasn't as good in a fight scene as Connery, Lazenby, or Craig but I do believe he was better than Moore and Brosnan. I'll say his best fight goes to the bar fight in LTK.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I enjoy the bar fight in LTK. It showed Bond could fight, but also get canned good himself. ;))
    I enjoy the bar fight in LTK. It showed Bond could fight, but also get canned good himself. ;))

Hahaha! Exactly!
    I love Dalton but I'll admit his strengths were in his acting not his physicality. His fights rank in the middle for me. He wasn't as good in a fight scene as Connery, Lazenby, or Craig but I do believe he was better than Moore and Brosnan. I'll say his best fight goes to the bar fight in LTK.

The bar fight in LTK was very good but I have to go with the fight on the plane with Necros. That was tops in my book.
  • OHMSS69 wrote:
    I love Dalton but I'll admit his strengths were in his acting not his physicality. His fights rank in the middle for me. He wasn't as good in a fight scene as Connery, Lazenby, or Craig but I do believe he was better than Moore and Brosnan. I'll say his best fight goes to the bar fight in LTK.

The bar fight in LTK was very good but I have to go with the fight on the plane with Necros. That was tops in my book.

I liked that one two. It had some great stunt work. But my problem with Moore, Dalton, and Brosnan's fight scenes is that they all look very staged more often than not and lacked the fast intensity of a real fight. By no chance they were also the 3 older Bonds. Connery, Lazenby, and Craig all shined in really getting into their fight scenes and giving us some more hard-hitting fisticuffs.
    I think with Dalton there was more emphasis on stunts than brawls so there wasn't a lot of it. My favorite Dalton fight is the one between Bond and the prison guards in TLD.
  • I love the music that kicks in for the prison fight. I think they should made it a better fight than that guy stupidly trying to hit him with his truncheon.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I really liked that prison fight because of the humour. "I did not tell you to get up!!"

TD didn't have enough fights for me to pass an opinion on his abilties, but that bar fight in LTK was awful imho. Even the humour was poor. It really was tv movie-like and not quite up to Bond standards.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    I really liked that prison fight because of the humour. "I did not tell you to get up!!"

TD didn't have enough fights for me to pass an opinion on his abilties, but that bar fight in LTK was awful imho. Even the humour was poor. It really was tv movie-like and not quite up to Bond standards.

People have a go at Dalton's reaction to the swordfish but do they know how sharp the fin is?

I don't like the cartoon shotgun hole however.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    edited February 2016 Posts: 1,984
    My problem is that Dalton never gets a real hand-to-hand fight on the ground/regular circumstances. He's always fighting in extreme circumstances or its a stupid fight like the bar brawl in LTK. The closest we get is the prison fight in TLD, I guess, but even then, he's handcuffed, so again, I'm still left desiring a proper Dalton fight - something like Lazenby against Che-Che in OHMSS.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 19,339
    DELETED
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    He headbutts the driver in the PTS of TLD, punches the patrolling guard in Whittakers estate, fights the jailor in Afghanistan, headbutts Dario and kicks Sanchez. There maybe other instances, but those are ones off the top of my head.
    The time he headbutted the assassin in the PTS of TLD really gave me hope with Dalton,but he needed the classic 3rd film to cement his place..a shame Major.
    I can't say that I disagree with you. I see his third film, tonally, sitting comfortably between TLD and LTK, maybe leaning a little more towards TLD.
    With Connery and GF,Moore and TSWLM,and Craig with SF ( i would mention Brosnan as i actually like TWINE but i know im in the minority) the script idea would have been quite interesting...
    The androids.... I can't see that happening. Like the early idea of Dr No being a monkey, I think that aspect would have been thrown out before filming. From what I can recall, the rest of the outline sounded like it might have been the adjustment to win more people over. They'd never be able to please everyone, but it can't be a coincidence about Goldfinger, The Spy Who Loved Me, The World Is Not Enough & Skyfall.
    Exactly,the magical 3rd film.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Much as I love Dalton's portrayal of Bond. I always felt his fighting was his
    Weak point, never thought he was really good at fisticuffs.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 11,189
    Much as I love Dalton's portrayal of Bond. I always felt his fighting was his
    Weak point, never thought he was really good at fisticuffs.

Definitely in light of the fights during the Craig era, Dalton's look quite tame. Even the opening TLD jeep fight looks fairly average next to the battle Craig has with Carlos at Miami airport.

I think the one that comes closest to that intense airport fight is the scuffle Dalts has with the pilot of the seaplane in LTK. I do like how he sneaks up behind the first pilot and releases the door he's holding on to.
    Probably his best moment ...i do love that scene...
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 489
    I like Dalton okay, but some of those fights in his Bond films are pretty darn horrible, especially that horrible head butt in TLD.
    I have to say ,after watching LTK last weekend,and thoroughly enjoying it,that I didn't think Dalton threw a decent punch,but during the bar fight he gives one local a right smack on nose that sends the guy flying over a table.

This is another regret re Dalton : if he can simulate a punch brilliantly like that,why didn't we see more of it ?

I've watched LTK so many times and never really took any notice of it until now.
    I always felt Tim's best punch was to Dario in the Barrel-head bar. I love the jailbreak fight. Similar to the previous two Glen films where past the half way mark there is an obligatory fisticuffs sequence. Of those I feel the one in Octopussy's palace was the strongest. Still would have been nice to see Dalton take on an opponent along the lines of Red Grant or Peter Franks.
    Dalton's punch to the guard at the end of TLD should have packed more of a wallop akin to Sean 's first punch in NSNA. Perhaps it was the angle used?
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I always felt Tim's best punch was to Dario in the Barrel-head bar. I love the jailbreak fight. Similar to the previous two Glen films where past the half way mark there is an obligatory fisticuffs sequence. Of those I feel the one in Octopussy's palace was the strongest. Still would have been nice to see Dalton take on an opponent along the lines of Red Grant or Peter Franks.
    Dalton's punch to the guard at the end of TLD should have packed more of a wallop akin to Sean 's first punch in NSNA. Perhaps it was the angle used?

Sean's punch that lays out the guard is awesome! It also has a nice meaty sound effect!

He gets to repeat it later on in the film on the prison guard when he escapes from Largo's cell!
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I can't see Dalton picking up a chair and throwing it at someone ala Sean to be honest.