Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

@DarthDimi

"So that's where I've been going wrong all these years." ;-)
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I forgot about that one, @Dimi!

Arnold: "Thanks for the tip."
    @DarthDimi

:))

I think Kindergarten Cop is quite sweet. Not one of Arnie's best but entertaining and charming. Penelope Anne Miller is lovely and I really like Danny Elfman's score.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @MajorDSmythe, I read an article about the best car chases in films, isn't the one in 'The French Connection' the chase that involved a lot of unscripted property damage, and the stuntman was just kind of told to drive and deal with the damage and notoriety later? Perhaps I'm thinking of something else.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @DarthDimi

@WillyGalore
    You make me laugh every time, sir. ;-)

QBranch wrote: »
    I forgot about that one, @Dimi!

Arnold: "Thanks for the tip."

"I have been known to keep my tip up"
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited July 2014 Posts: 13,882
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @MajorDSmythe, I read an article about the best car chases in films, isn't the one in 'The French Connection' the chase that involved a lot of unscripted property damage, and the stuntman was just kind of told to drive and deal with the damage and notoriety later? Perhaps I'm thinking of something else.

According to trivia, the crew didn't seek permission to film the chase and some of the other motorists and pedestrians, weren't part of the crew.

Here's Freidkin himself talking about the chase:

And just for clarity, here is the chase itself:

I'm inclined to belief that it was indeed largly unscripted.
    Wow, that chase sequence was intense. I love those chases in films where the protagonist cannot let the bad guy get away, and one tiny slip-up can let that happen. That's how that chase felt to me, though I'm not sure how it fits into the rest of the film or anything.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    We'll i'm a big Gene Hackman fan, so i'll watch the film for start to finish for his superb performance (i'm also a fan of Roy Scheider, but The French Connection is all Hackman's film). I don't know how i'd feel if I were not a fan of Hackman's. The chase does has a real sense of danger, Doyle knows how to drive, but he's no a race driver, he nearly totals the car a number of times.
    That's what I loved about the chase: the lack of flawlessness to it. He smashes into numerous cars and items so many times. It's flawed and it makes it that much more exciting. Ashamed to say this is another classic of sorts that I've never watched, so onto the 'To Watch' list it goes. This thing is building and building. For every film I remove from it, another three or four takes its place.
    edited July 2014 Posts: 13,882
    That's what I loved about the chase: the lack of flawlessness to it. He smashes into numerous cars and items so many times. It's flawed and it makes it that much more exciting. Ashamed to say this is another classic of sorts that I've never watched, so onto the 'To Watch' list it goes. This thing is building and building. For every film I remove from it, another three or four takes its place.

Tell me about it. I use Listal, and looking at my 'wanted' list, the are currently 76 films I want to see.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    BAIN123 wrote: »

Yes, indeed I have. :( The doctors can't seem to help me either...
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited July 2014 Posts: 13,879
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Yes, indeed I have. :( The doctors can't seem to help me either...
    Guys, just remember not to walk sideways through airport terminals.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 2,107
    The Wolf of Wall Street
    Body of Lies
    The Big Lebowski
    The Man in the Iron Mask (1998)
    The Three Musketeers (1993)
    'Traffic'

First time watching this, and it was stellar. Three stories interweave (without being too cheesy or blunt like 'Crash' did it) involving the drug trade throughout the United States and Mexico. Yet another Soderbergh film that blew me away, and I also love the color palette they used for each story, really lends a different look at each story. Great finales for all of them, too. Highly recommended.
    'Traffic'

First time watching this, and it was stellar. Three stories interweave (without being too cheesy or blunt like 'Crash' did it) involving the drug trade throughout the United States and Mexico. Yet another Soderbergh film that blew me away, and I also love the color palette they used for each story, really lends a different look at each story. Great finales for all of them, too. Highly recommended.

Traffic is a terrific film, one of my all-time favorites.
    @dalton, I'm typically not a big fan of films that have interweaving stories, and even though I somewhat badmouthed 'Crash,' I also love that, but 'Terrific' has reignited an interest in films like it. It really surprised me. I remember watching it once and getting about ten minutes in. I just stopped for some reason, I can't seem to remember why, but I'm glad I finally returned to it and finished it, as it really is something special. I'll be picking this up on Criterion next week, so watching it in glorious blu-ray will surely make it (surprisingly) better.
    Heck, I should re-watch Traffic... too many movies, too many books and too much music, darn... ;)

Most recently watched:

The Fountain (2006) - I wanted to see it because it's directed by Darren Aronofsky and it didn't hurt that I like the leads (Hugh Jackman and Rachel Weisz). Visually beautiful, and I loved the music again (as usual with Aronofsky). Fascinating, but requires good concentration. I think it could have been made a bit easier to follow, but I didn't mind getting a couple of things only after watching the extras. :P

Lincoln Lawyer (2011) - I watched this mainly for the lead: Matthew McConaughey. I had heard positive things about it as well, and I liked it. The author Michael Connelly was very happy with this adaptation of his work, so that's nice, too. I've never read his books, but this movie made me consider doing that.

Body Of Lies (2008) - directed by Ridley Scott, starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Russell Crowe and Mark Strong (he looked fabulous and was excellent in his role) - didn't sound bad, and it wasn't. Not great, but nevertheless a good and interesting film.

Cat Ballou (1965) - a childhood favourite I hadn't seen in a long time. Still hugely enjoyable. Jane Fonda as beautiful as ever and Lee Marvin fantastic in his Academy Award winning role (well, two roles, actually, but for sure he won for Kid Shelleen). Loved him in it. Such a versatile actor, equally brilliant in a comedy role like here and in serious dramas.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Stone Cold (2005)
    Stone+Cold+2005.jpg
    I've not read any of the Jessie Stone novels, but I've seen all the movies, all over my local Krogers so I figured I'd put my curiosity to the test. I wasn't disappointed. I can't wait to check out the sequels.
    Watching The Running Man on Channel 4. God its bad yet hilarious :))
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    FLeiter wrote: »
    Gentlemen--Hitch's film is 'Saboteur' not 'Sabotage'. It is quite good. I also enjoy '39 Steps' as Robert Donat is a great actor. I wonder what Hitch's obsession was with blondes?
    Well, he made films with both those titles. He directed "Sabotage" in '36 and "Saboteur" in '42.
    The Jesse Stone books go into a different direction as the movies do, but Tom Selleck is Jesse Stone and the writer before he died did like him as his character.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    SaintMark wrote: »
    The Jesse Stone books go into a different direction as the movies do, but Tom Selleck is Jesse Stone and the writer before he died did like him as his character.

I just finished the second film in the series. (Which is a prequel.) it was just as good as the first, though the ending felt a tad rushed. I'll be watching the third film shortly. And I agree with you. Selleck does a fantastic job playing this character. Total opposite from Thomas Magnum, but good all the same. :)
  • Airplane!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Prepare for the remake.

Prepare for the remake.

The puns in that film make those in DAD look good.
    The way through the Woods
    The daughters of Cain
    Death is now my neighbour
    The Wench is dead.

The last four Inspector Morse TV-movies before the one he dies in. They are so brilliantly made that you are bound to return. The Morse series is made on level not seen very often.
    And they are nothing for people that prefer the US style detective with guns blazing and car chases.
    In the very first Morse TV-movie there is this grabbing on the roof of a church and Morse not being a physical man and suffering from vertigo makes it an awefull exciting ending as you can at that moment feel the fear of Morse as he is totally not build for that physical stuff. As he said in the show, Lewis you are the policeman and I am the brains.

One of the best series ever.

And to my great excitement there are new episodes with Lewis currently being filmed.
    Elizabeth, with Cate Blanchett. She really got robbed of an Oscar.
    'Yojimbo'

Fantastic film. Not even going to watch 'Sanjuro,' just going to buy the two pack so half of it is a surprise. Here we meet a ronin with nothing to lose, someone who walks into a town where two gangs are constantly at war, and he sets out to frame both, pit them against one another, and restore peace to the once-quiet town. Lives are lost, buildings are burned, arms are cut off, money is flashed, and much more. This is one incredible samurai film by Akiro Kurosawa.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    'Yojimbo'

Fantastic film. Not even going to watch 'Sanjuro,' just going to buy the two pack so half of it is a surprise.
    Yojimbo is generally considered the superior film of the two by a bit (and objectively I guess I have to agree), but Sanjuro is just so cool...

@Creasy47, can you see the heavy influence Yojimbo had on LTK?
    Also, will you ever hear Wade say 'Yo Jimbo' the same way again? :))