Feedback and Suggestions V2

JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
As we have relaunched under new updated software, I thought it was a good time to reboot from the old thread.

Please post your ideas from Community improvements here!

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited July 2014 Posts: 28,694
    Not a suggestion, just a curiosity. My profile page and space on the left of the main forum says I have 489 notifications, but how do I find where those notifications are and view them all?

EDIT: After some poking around I got it all sorted.

I also see that banned members now have a profile image that reads USER BANNED PLEASE CARRY ON. Nice touch, that. ;)
    Somehow the whole thing is kinda white and still overflowing in eachother, so far not too impressed.
    I don't really like how it's sorted by categories now but figured out that clicking recent discussions gets it back to the normal layout (so it just shows all the most recent threads, regardless of the category) but still every time I log in it comes up with the confusing categories layout. Is there a way for me to make recent discussions the automatic setting, to save me clicking it every time?
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    It will take some getting used to.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited July 2014 Posts: 13,877
    I also see that banned members now have a profile image that reads USER BANNED PLEASE CARRY ON. Nice touch, that. ;)
    I noticed that too, well done. And the members without avatars get some random cartoon face design as theirs.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Somehow the whole thing is kinda white and still overflowing in eachother, so far not too impressed.
    Yes, I do like the old layout better. Some distinct borders entirely around the comments to more clearly separate them from each other and the rest of the page wouldn't go astray.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Where the hell was I when this happened?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

In bed, I presume?
    Personal messages are showing up in my email again, so there's another thing fixed. :)>-
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    edited July 2014 Posts: 7,854

In bed, I presume?

I must have been.
    One thing that needs work is the search function. If I want to find, for example, the 'Bond 24 Car' thread, and I type 'car' into the search bar, every word containing 'car' will show up, for example 'carry', 'oscar', 'Scaramanga' etc. This means you're going to go through pages upon pages to find it, to the point where you may as well not use the search function at all, and just look for it manually like we used to do years back or simply go out of the forum and use google to find it. Also, I just typed in 'Bond 24 car' into the forum search bar, and it didn't bring up all threads containing the three words- but every thread containing 'Bond', every thread containing '24', and every thread containing 'car'.
    QBranch wrote: »
    One thing that needs work is the search function. If I want to find, for example, the 'Bond 24 Car' thread, and I type 'car' into the search bar, every word containing 'car' will show up, for example 'carry', 'oscar', 'Scaramanga' etc. This means you're going to go through pages upon pages to find it, to the point where you may as well not use the search function at all, and just look for it manually like we used to do years back or simply go out of the forum and use google to find it. Also, I just typed in 'Bond 24 car' into the forum search bar, and it didn't bring up all threads containing the three words- but every thread containing 'Bond', every thread containing '24', and every thread containing 'car'.

Yes, I do see what you mean.
    I am not allowed to change my picture, why not??
    @SaintMark Because the forum software says there is no greater image than William Hartnell as Bond.
    One thing I do genuinely miss are the personal profile page sections where we could all list our location, favorite Bond actor, Fleming novel and film. It gave you an idea of where all our many members were in the world and what their Bond preferences were so that you could get to know them better and engage in discussions if you shared a similar interest.
    On the other thread, @MI6 suggests some of the features we enjoyed will be put on ice for now until kinks in the software are sorted. I have a feeling these features to come are the personal info, avatar etc.
    On the other thread, @MI6 suggests some of the features we enjoyed will be put on ice for now until kinks in the software are sorted. I have a feeling these features to come are the personal info, avatar etc.

Yes, I was hoping that's what they meant by that. We shall have to see.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited July 2014 Posts: 40,285
    Everything is somewhat cluttered for me right now, but I can only assume that'll be worked out, such as all the text for the Discussion categories and whatnot. I also can't seem to get it back to showing me all the recent category discussions without giving me separate categories, but I'll keep playing with it to see if I can fix it up.

EDIT: I'm using Chrome on MacBook Pro, and I read the MI6 tip for making this place less cluttered in format: clear your cache. Cleared it from the past four weeks, and this place looks completely different. I'm loving it now.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 1,817
    I'm just getting used to the "new digs". Interesting, I don't know if it's just me but it feels more like a facebook format.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Everything is somewhat cluttered for me right now, but I can only assume that'll be worked out, such as all the text for the Discussion categories and whatnot. I also can't seem to get it back to showing me all the recent category discussions without giving me separate categories, but I'll keep playing with it to see if I can fix it up.

EDIT: I'm using Chrome on MacBook Pro, and I read the MI6 tip for making this place less cluttered in format: clear your cache. Cleared it from the past four weeks, and this place looks completely different. I'm loving it now.

To view discussions as on the old format and without categories, select "Recent Discussions" from amongst the options on the top left of the page.
    Thanks for integrating a 'collapse quote' feature. I was so tired of seeing members quote 50 paragraphs just to respond with one sentence...

Also, I'm glad the 'new discussion' button is smaller this time, as newbies tend to be drawn to it like a moth to the flame. :))
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    I think what we need is the return of the back to discussions option Please.
    I'm a little confused about why I keep getting logged out when I have "keep me signed in" checked.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @QBranch, same! There was nothing more annoying than having ten pictures quoted or stacks upon stacks of conversation quotes, just for a short reply. I'm glad that has been implemented.

@Mrcoggins, what do you mean? You can always click 'Discussions' in the top left or 'Recent Discussions.'
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Well yes I could do that but it was so much better as it used to go straight back to the main list whereas now it goes to the home page and not all discussions that's all.
    @SaintMark Because the forum software says there is no greater image than William Hartnell as Bond.

True, but why?
    @SaintMark It's wibbly wobbly, timey wimey stuff. You wouldn't understand ;)

Always nice being told that I am stupid. You are doing a stand up job.

My question being, is this a hick up or some new rule?
    Always nice being told that I am stupid.
    I'm sure you understand it's a line from Doctor Who.

Not being able to change your avatar could indeed be a hiccup, but more than likely the team just hasn't sorted it out yet.

Always nice being told that I am stupid. You are doing a stand up job.

My question being, is this a hick up or some new rule?

Wow.

Dramallama01.jpg

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited July 2014 Posts: 17,696
    @SaintMark - I think it's just that some features that we knew and loved from the last upgrade have been put on ice currently in order for the site to get running. These are the finer points of the forums that I'm sure the team will get fixed ASAP. No need for alarm. I have faith in our team to get the job done and I think that you should too. :)

UPDATE: It's just been fixed - you can change your profile picture now if you wish.