Last Video Game You Played?

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited July 2014 Posts: 13,882
    It is fun, there's plenty of action. And you can practically smell the Brylcreem that Carter, the protagonist, has caked onto his hair.

It's cheap enough now to allow a blind purchase. I bought my copy, new, in GAME for £7.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Does it still have some RTS elements? I thought it looked more like a third-person shooter with some of those elements than the other X-COM games.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    It's the first and only XCOM game I have played, but yes, there are RTS elements in the game. As you level up, so do the two npc characters in the squad, unlocking new abilities. You can have only two other members in your squad, but you can recruit other members from the available roster to send out on missions, or change those npc's in your squad.
    edited July 2014 Posts: 40,372
    I think the first current-gen XCOM game (I didn't play that one, either) was full RTS, so it looked to me that the one you're playing now shook it up by making it a third-person shooter with RTS elements, which is cool in that it gives a playstyle that almost anyone could like.

I'm guessing your squad NPC's all have different abilities, stats, and weapons? Or do you just rank them up and pick up weapons as you go along?

(It's moments like these where I wish I still had my 360 so I could play stuff like this.)
    The npc's come in different classes such as Engineer and Commando, and start with specific weapons to that class. As you level up, you can unlock abilities unique to each class, such as the Commando can withstand more damage, and the Sniper can cause more damage from a further distance.

You don't have to use all the RTS commands (you could make it though the game without the 'flank/move' option, but it will prove advantageous to use all of them.
    It's cool that they give you that option, as well, so you don't have to use any of the RTS elements at all. I don't think I've ever truly played an RTS before, not sure if it was ever my thing, but I've seen certain RTS PC games that look entertaining as hell, but none of them are for Mac.
    GTA IV + Episodes from Liberty City. Only got to play the game(s) for an hour or so. After having not played the game after GTA V was released, the fourth one felt kind of slow, uninteresting...and...well, BORING. The Lost and Damned had a good start.
    @SharkBait, my opinions completely differ from yours, but I'm so jealous that you played 'GTA IV.' One of my favorite games of all time.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited July 2014 Posts: 13,879
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I'm sure the PC is a lot better in every aspect, @WillardWhyte, but I don't have a proper gaming PC. I don't care for them, either, I like the feel of a controller better without having to sit in front of a computer.
    I agree about the controller. I've always preferred one over the keyboard/mouse, and if that's the only issue, you can always use a USB controller on the PC. Playing games like Far Cry 3 and Dishonoured has really helped me get used to using the keyboard and mouse. The last console I bought was the Wii, and personally, I'll be avoiding buying any consoles in the immediate future and focusing on getting a powerful PC for gaming and game art.
    I have not played Fallout 3 for about 2 - 3 weeks, so I picked up where I left off. Seeing as how Point Lookout is the last of the 5 on disc DLC's for me to complete, I headed there. I have already completed the quest with the Mansion under seige, and now I am working on the soil sample quest. I have 2 of the 3 samples. My game play time is now just over 33 hours.
    @MajorDSmythe, what do you think of Point Lookout so far? I figured with you also being a horror aficionado that you might enjoy the mutants and the creepy atmosphere.
    edited July 2014 Posts: 13,882
    It has a eerie feel, with the dense fog, the mutants, the swamps and that Trapper's Cabin.
    It has a eerie feel, with the dense fog, the mutants, the swamps and that Trapper's Cabin.

Also, you should check out the merchant who resides in the little eatery area by the boardwalk as soon as you arrive. She has a bunch of new weapons, including some lever-action rifles, and a ton of older weapons that do a lot more damage. I think I spent countless hours there after I completed all the quests just killing mutants, selling their weapons, and buying her upgraded variants. Some of those rifles were excellent for one-hit headshot kills, I loved them.
    I have stopped by Madam Panada's House Of Wares, but only to offload loot for Bottlecaps. I will need to have another look at what weapons she has for sale.
    I have stopped by Madam Panada's House Of Wares, but only to offload loot for Bottlecaps. I will need to have another look at what weapons she has for sale.

That's what it's called. Yeah, she has one fantastic selection of weapons, I couldn't believe it. Worth every penny.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    This summer has largely been about revisiting my favorite games and replaying their campaigns. So far I've replayed GTA V and Red Dead Redemption, and recently I moved on to the Uncharted series. I've always loved these games after being captivated by 1 and 2 in late 2009 when I first got my PS3, and 3 has had much the same effect.

These games are just on an entirely different level compared to all other games I have experienced. The gameplay truly feels like a super charged blockbuster movie you get to play and the kind of stuff the developers have you doing in these games is jaw-dropping. Have you ever wanted to fight baddies inside a collapsing building, shoot your way to safety on the top of a speeding train, or race to escape a burning chateau as flames encumber you at every turn? These are only a few of the amazing set pieces the Uncharted games allow you to experience. While most games would have these events play out in cutscene cinematics or button mashing quick time events Naughty Dog puts you in control of Drake when the you-know-what hits the fan, leaving you breathless and on the edge of your seat.

A breakdown of the series (SPOILERS BELOW FOR THOSE UNACQUAINTED WITH THE GAMES):

Uncharted 1 is over seven years old, yet still looks beautiful even as games enter a new generation of advanced gaming technology. Naughty Dog cemented themselves even further as talented creators with their new IP for the PS3 at the very beginning of it's life-cycle, and the game laid the foundations for the Uncharted formula we have today. We are introduced to a gang of characters that we will grow to love over the course of the next few games, namely Nate Drake the charming everyman, Elena Fisher the sharp and independent love interest, and Victor "Sully" Sullivan, the lovable rouge and surrogate father to our hero. While the blockbuster moments that we see so much of in the second and third games aren't as prevalent in this game, the potential for a great franchise is plain to see from the very start. Lush environments, thrilling journeys, shocking scares and detailed character models and vistas mark Uncharted 1, a game that was only the beginning of what I'd call the PS3's greatest game series.

Uncharted 2 is still my favorite of the series, and probably my favorite game of all time. As mentioned previously, the amount of amazing, jaw-dropping things you are put in the middle of in this game are beyond comprehension, and the kind of adrenaline it gives you has been unmatched for me during this entire console generation. In the game we get a return from familiar faces, some of which we don't fully expect, and are treated to a story that is just as much a drama and moving character study as it is a rip roaring adventure. This game is the go to Uncharted title for action and globe-trotting. The game truly feels like one massively satisfying journey and the mystery surrounding Marco Polo's voyage from China is probably the most well executed of the three titles.

Uncharted 3 and I have had a more than uneven relationship since its release. When it released a few years back I went into this game expecting more of Uncharted 2, which struck the balance so well between set pieces, characters, story and gameplay, but simply found myself disappointed for some reason. My main problems with the game were the obvious inclusion of set pieces for their own sake by Naughty Dog. There is a sizable section of the game that only exists because they wanted to show off water effects and other improved graphical additions instead of making it a worthwhile part of the game driven by the story. In Uncharted 1 and 2 you feel like all the set pieces are not only there because the writers thought they were brilliant ideas to let the player experience, but also because they made sense for the progression of the story they were trying to spin. In Uncharted 3 there are moments where this doesn't at times feel the case, though what happens in the story during these levels does validate their existence in hindsight.

The good news is that after replaying Uncharted 3 this past time all the things that used to bug me (like the above) didn't this time. I have never enjoyed the game this much before, in fact, which both surprised and pleased me. While I still find 2 to be the overall better game, 3 is definitely a worthy and brilliant edition to the series, and continues to innovate and push the boundaries of all that games can do. It focuses much more on villains who attack the mind, as well as Nate's own fears in life like his fear of abandonment, commitment while still uncovering why he still acts the way he does. The story is the most satisfying of the three on an emotional level for two reasons: we get to see through flashbacks how Sully and Nate came to be a team, and the story deals with Nate's struggles to commit to a relationship with another person and face a big lie he has told his entire life. We get to really dissect who our heroes are in this game, and for that I respect it. It's a blockbuster series with a lot of great gameplay, but at the heart of it there are great characters who hold the games together and make them so enjoyable to return to time and time again.

With the recent announcement of Uncharted 4, I'm extremely excited for what is to come. The teasers released for the game thus far speak of a much darker and personal journey for Nate, who appears to have been pulled back into the treasure hunting game after retiring to a more simple life. This appears to be the last game in the series, as evidenced by the title A Thief's End, which means all the bets are off and no characters are safe from the axe, even our hero. I very much look forward to experiencing the conclusion to one of the greatest gaming franchises and set of characters yet developed for us gamers come 2015 in a title that will no doubt continue to push the boundaries of next-gen gaming technology.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I enjoyed Uncharted 3, but it was just too much like 1 and 2, and so, sadly, I have little faith for Uncharted 4.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited July 2014 Posts: 28,694
    I enjoyed Uncharted 3, but it was just too much like 1 and 2, and so, sadly, I have little faith for Uncharted 4.

I can understand how you feel. Uncharted 3 does the same old
    find a lost city, destroy a lost city and its secrets and kill the baddies
    that 2 did before it, though I feel better. What makes Uncharted 3 really stand out in the series is its handling of
    Drake's early life and the lie he tells himself and others about being a descendent from Sir Francis, as well as his complex relationship with Elena that finally stabilizes at the end.

For Uncharted 4 I'd rather just have a treasure and no city that Drake uncovers, as it is becoming way too formulaic. It seems like the game will tie off the series by returning more to the feeling of 1, with lush jungles, pirate treasure and other dangers being prevalent over anything else. Plus, the darker storyline has me most enthused.
    You know how Uncharted has those alternate skins? If they made an Indiana Jones one I would literally never stop playing.

If they can make fat Drake, they can make Indy
    You know how Uncharted has those alternate skins? If they made an Indiana Jones one I would literally never stop playing.

If they can make fat Drake, they can make Indy
    Well, In Uncharted 3's multiplayer you can basically customize your original character to look like Indy, but not Drake himself.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

I can understand how you feel. Uncharted 3 does the same old
    find a lost city, destroy a lost city and its secrets and kill the baddies
    that 2 did before it, though I feel better. What makes Uncharted 3 really stand out in the series is its handling of
    Drake's early life and the lie he tells himself and others about being a descendent from Sir Francis, as well as his complex relationship with Elena that finally stabilizes at the end.

For Uncharted 4 I'd rather just have a treasure and no city that Drake uncovers, as it is becoming way too formulaic. It seems like the game will tie off the series by returning more to the feeling of 1, with lush jungles, pirate treasure and other dangers being prevalent over anything else. Plus, the darker storyline has me most enthused.

I'm fine with UC3's flashbacks, those weren't a problem. And the game started out great with the fight in the pub. I just hope that if UC4 is the end, it goes out better than the paint-by-numbers stuff we've seen so far. Even the PSVita prequel works much the same way.
  • still playing GTAV
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I finally bought and played Batman: Arkham Origins. While not as good as the other two and for the first time did not really add anything new to what had already been done, it was a fun rump for me and only makes me more excited for the next one to be released.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 6,396
    Lately, I've been refreshing myself on LEGO Star Wars: The Original Trilogy and LEGO Indiana Jones..

Even though these games are largely aimed at kids, the fact that they stick to the stories and have the use of John Williams' brilliant soundtracks, it makes the games really entertaining.

If only a LEGO James Bond game could be done in the same way.
    edited July 2014 Posts: 40,372
    @WillyGalore, I loved 'LEGO Indiana Jones.' I bought it just to unlock some easy achievements back when I had an Xbox 360, but I must say I thoroughly enjoyed myself with it. I think I also played 'LEGO Batman' then, as well, which was real fun.

The latest thing for me is BF4...that's it, unfortunately. I can't wait for the Fall to arrive when I have more money and more games are released, such as the new 'Alien' game, 'Evolve,' and 'Far Cry 4.'

I really want to pick up the Remastered version of 'The Last Of Us' next Tuesday to see what all the fuss is about, but I don't have the money for it.
    @Creasy47

There is something so cool to playing that game with the volume turned right up and the Indiana Jones theme being blasted out in glorious 5.1 :-)
    Samuel001 wrote: »
    I finally bought and played Batman: Arkham Origins. While not as good as the other two and for the first time did not really add anything new to what had already been done, it was a fun rump for me and only makes me more excited for the next one to be released.
    I really liked the cutscenes in Arkham Origins though- made me long for a movie with that style.

But true, the game itself wasn't as good as the others. The plus side is that now that you beat it, you can play as Adam West!

* You have to admit though, during the final fight with 'monster' Bane-- when Bane ran towards Batman, only to be stopped by the grappling hook inches away from his face was the most badass part of the game!

hqdefault.jpg
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    At that point I just wanted that fight to be over!
    @Creasy47

There is something so cool to playing that game with the volume turned right up and the Indiana Jones theme being blasted out in glorious 5.1 :-)

Absolutely! Running through all the scenes and locales from the films was so entertaining.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @Creasy47

Absolutely! Running through all the scenes and locales from the films was so entertaining.

I'm also keeping my fingers crossed for a LEGO Back To The Future Trilogy game. That would be great.