Coolest thing you'll see all day thread.

Comments

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited July 2014 Posts: 13,879
    Thanks for posting, @forgotmyusername. I've seen one of these before, but just with bumblebee vs another Transformer racing each other. This one was much more elaborate. Very cool stuff.
    They should use that as teaser for the new Ghostbusters film!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

The internet is now complete. =D>
    2b768b8c1d61df341545b0a979ba62fe8492b9506ff9a8666cf1a146af242342.jpg
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Perhaps it isn't the coolest thing, but it sure is interesting:

Swedish artist Anders Weberg is creating an experimental film called 'Ambiance,' which will be the world's longest film, clocking in at 720 hours (no, that's not a typo) and slating for release in 2020. A 72-minute teaser (yes, a teaser) was just released and will be taken down on July 20th. He will release a few more trailers for it (which will range in how long they are. In 2018, a 72-hour long trailer will be released). Finally, in 2020, 'Ambiance' will be “shown in its full length on a single occasion synchronized in all the continents of the world and then destroyed.”

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/longest-film-ever-made-gets-a-72-minute-trailer-91168242282.html
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Perhaps it isn't the coolest thing, but it sure is interesting:

Swedish artist Anders Weberg is creating an experimental film called 'Ambiance,' which will be the world's longest film, clocking in at 720 hours (no, that's not a typo) and slating for release in 2020. A 72-minute teaser (yes, a teaser) was just released and will be taken down on July 20th. He will release a few more trailers for it (which will range in how long they are. In 2018, a 72-hour long trailer will be released). Finally, in 2020, 'Ambiance' will be “shown in its full length on a single occasion synchronized in all the continents of the world and then destroyed.”

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/longest-film-ever-made-gets-a-72-minute-trailer-91168242282.html

So this is basically modern dadaism, I surmise?
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I've shared this recently with several friends. I was unfamiliar with this website, sort of found it by accident.

This shows the winds around the world, done by supercomputers, and I have here the area showing the typhoon now approaching Japan's mainland.

You can click and grab the globe and move it all around the world to see different places , zoom in and out - I think it looks so cool! It will be updated every 3 hours.
    I just find it beautiful and relaxing to watch. And fun to look around the globe. Hope you enjoy it:

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-221.53,51.18,375
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, that's what I gather from it: anti-art art. Plus, the whole 'destroying it' decision at the end just seems to be a huge shoutout to the same kind of movement.

The longest English-language feature film is a little over four hours long, I believe. There's no way you could craft a story out of 720 hours. I mean, I guess you could, but it would take an unbelievable amount of time. Speaking of lengthy shooting schedules like this, there's a new film called 'Boyhood' that took 12 years to make. Ethan Hawke is in it, and while it's only a little under three hours long, it follows the life of a young man from age 5 to age 18. I hear it's really cool, and obviously it's incredibly unique as this sort of thing doesn't happen too often. They would just get together once a year to shoot for a while, pack up, and return the next year, so the aging and growth is legitimate and real.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited July 2014 Posts: 28,694
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, that's what I gather from it: anti-art art. Plus, the whole 'destroying it' decision at the end just seems to be a huge shoutout to the same kind of movement.

The longest English-language feature film is a little over four hours long, I believe. There's no way you could craft a story out of 720 hours. I mean, I guess you could, but it would take an unbelievable amount of time. Speaking of lengthy shooting schedules like this, there's a new film called 'Boyhood' that took 12 years to make. Ethan Hawke is in it, and while it's only a little under three hours long, it follows the life of a young man from age 5 to age 18. I hear it's really cool, and obviously it's incredibly unique as this sort of thing doesn't happen too often. They would just get together once a year to shoot for a while, pack up, and return the next year, so the aging and growth is legitimate and real.

See, that "Boyhood" film seems very cool and actually has purpose. This 720 hour "film," however is the kind of project I hate. "Look at me and how creative and deep I am. I'm gonna make this movie, and it's gonna be over 700 hours long, we're gonna show it to the world and then we're gonna burn it from existence because art isn't art until it is taken away and relived in the mind cerebrally forever. Yeah, man; yeah..." Dadaism is part of why I can't take a lot of art seriously, especially some poetry. It's very easy to pretend to be saying something deep when in all actuality you are hollow as a tree. Many lauded artists and writers of the past made careers out of seemingly feigning intellect and purpose.
    edited July 2014 Posts: 40,372
    Exactly. I think the prospect of a film being so long is a cool idea, because...well, that's a really long running time. But it's quality over quantity for most people, and I'd much rather have a 90-minute film I love than a six-hour film full of nothing...or 720 hours, in this case.

Plus...how are they going to run this? They're going to supply enough food, water, shelter, etc. for those who do end up seeing it? And who has well over a month (factoring in sleep, breaks, etc.) to sit there and watch something like this?
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Exactly. I think the prospect of a film being so long is a cool idea, because...well, that's a really long running time. But it's quality over quantity for most people, and I'd much rather have a 90-minute film I love than a six-hour film full of nothing...or 720 hours, in this case.

Plus...how are they going to run this? They're going to supply enough food, water, shelter, etc. for those who do end up seeing it? And who has well over a month (factoring in sleep, breaks, etc.) to sit there and watch something like this?

Nobody is going to watch this, trust me. Not because they don't want to, though most with sense wouldn't, it's just that it'd be physically impossible to see it all. Is the film going to have actual actors and a story? That'd be a lot better than some dada type films that are only a black screen for hours upon hours.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I just skipped through the trailer. There's no sound, and it's just short snippets of footage: traffic, a ballet dancer, people walking, zoomed in shots of what look like industrial wheels turning, etc. So I can only assume that's what is in store for those that sit down and watch it.
    I've shared this recently with several friends. I was unfamiliar with this website, sort of found it by accident.

This shows the winds around the world, done by supercomputers, and I have here the area showing the typhoon now approaching Japan's mainland.

You can click and grab the globe and move it all around the world to see different places , zoom in and out - I think it looks so cool! It will be updated every 3 hours.
    I just find it beautiful and relaxing to watch. And fun to look around the globe. Hope you enjoy it:

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-221.53,51.18,375

That's very cool! (Certainly more entertaining than a 720 hour movie.)
    How can so many people here come up with the idea that a 720h filmmaker intends for his audience to sit down and watch through a story??? Or that film necessarily means story???
    That film is going to be shown somewhere public, so that people of a certain area have an art installation for 720h. Like a statue or a painting that´s going to be put up somewhere for a certain period of time.
    edited July 2014 Posts: 40,372
    It takes one pompous, insane person to seriously believe that there will be enough interest to warrant spending ten or so years on a film that will be (what can be decided, based on the teaser trailer) 720 hours (30 days, or 1 month) of miscellaneous, artsy shots of people walking, wheels turning, etc.

...and then once it's done, it is destroyed, never to be seen again. You're right, it will more than likely be set up as an installation around the globe so people can come and go and watch it. Sounds like a whole lot of work to me, just to be thrown away. And honestly, who really wants to watch something like that? I'm all for new ideas or unique films, but a one month long film of nothingness? No story, no plot, no characters, no progressive movement, no character development, no twists, no dialogue (I'm assuming), no music (I'm assuming), just silence and random shots of generic things? For one whole month? I'd say it would take longer than one month to find someone who was interested in something like that.
    Then again, artists can have a lot of ideas common people don´t care to think about.

The local modern arts museum many times plays films as installations. I never have any idea how long those films are, let alone what they are about or why they were made. As I´m sure most visitors don´t have the slightest idea. So nobody´s going to notice it if such a film is 720h long, because noone´s really going to care that much.
    Terrible quality, but watch this cheetah of a man in a police uniform. All you need to see is the first 20-25 seconds and you'll know what I'm talking about:

I saw a really cool poster for 'The Thing,' which took me to this site that has five other awesome sci-fi film fan posters for sale. If I didn't spend so much this weekend, I would love to get the posters for both 'The Thing' and 'Blade Runner.' They're amazing.

http://candykiller.bigcartel.com/
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I thought it would be nice for us to share things that make you go wow. I'll try to do it on a daily basis if I can.

Here's my first effort to wow you:
    Check out my avatar.

Wow!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited July 2014 Posts: 12,459
    Good one.

And looking at your new avatar, @Thunderfinger: wow!
    But I don't know what it is .... but I found your reference to it on another thread. That was the cameraman, eh? Interesting. (Where did you find that photo?)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It is from 2001-A Space Odyssey, @4EverBonded. Check it out.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 5,767
    Wow. That made go wow.

Creasy47 wrote: »
    I saw a really cool poster for 'The Thing,' which took me to this site that has five other awesome sci-fi film fan posters for sale. If I didn't spend so much this weekend, I would love to get the posters for both 'The Thing' and 'Blade Runner.' They're amazing.

http://candykiller.bigcartel.com/
    Great site, thanks! Love the Total Recall poster :)) !
    You're welcome, @boldfinger. Same, the poster work on that site is fantastic. I really want to shell out and get one or two of them.