It's Carnival Time! - The WORLD CUP FINALS 2014.

Comments

• really don't want the argies to win it...don't like the dutch and that leaves....gulp...the germans....that's all sorts of wrong. but they deserve it now for a display like that.

win the cup for the Palestinians, please win it for them.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Couldn't really give a toss about the demise of Brazil and the samba football crap but look in your history books:- they now state that Klose is the greatest striker in World Cup history.

That's better than Puskas, Eusebio, Pele, Muller, Zico, Baggio, Romario, Stoichkov, Ronaldo (the proper one) and Heskey!

Depressing.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 6,432
    Couldn't really give a toss about the demise of Brazil and the samba football crap but look in your history books:- they now state that Klose is the greatest striker in World Cup history.

That's better than Puskas, Eusebio, Pele, Muller, Zico, Baggio, Romario, Stoichkov, Ronaldo (the proper one) and Heskey!

Depressing.

Says more about German efficiency in tournaments than the quality of the player.

@forgotmyusername yeah begrudgingly have to say Germany are a good side, and for this generation at the peak of there powers.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 1,661
    If God has a dark sense of humour, let's hope he conspires to make Germany lose the final by a similar margin!

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Oh, I just thought of you, @marketto007 ...

All I can say is: I feel your country's pain. :(
    The ESPN(USA) announcers used terms like "humiliation", "annihilation", "disgrace" and others that were even worse. At one point they said that the Brazilian defense seemed "bemused". Never heard that one before.

But God was smiling, possibly even chuckling. A thunderstorm and lightning strike took out the power for ESPN's lavish Rio studio just before the match. They had to do their pre/post from a broom closet sized alternative.
    Brasil was shown to be an overrated side and without Silva the defender and Neymar they had NO answer whatsoever on the football pitch. Very embarrassing and sad too, Colombia must be kicking themselves having seen what happened tonight.

Congrats Germany a world-class demonstration of effective and good looking football.
    I'm in so much shock right now. WHO SAW THAT COMING?
    It feels like a Twilight Zone episode. :-O
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I didn't watch, but I went out for a smoke, saw it was 6-0. I talked to Dad about it and he said it was 5-0 before he came out, we were both equally surprised. I went downstairs, checked this thread, and saw it was 7-0. Close game, eh?
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    HOLY YOU KNOW WHAT!

The Dutch and the Argentinians need to be scared you know what-less
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited July 2014 Posts: 2,629
    https://twitter.com/rickygervais/status/486608669816410113

@rickygervais: This won't be the first time that thousands of Germans will have to lie low in Brazil for a while for their own safety.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    I'm not sure if there's another brazilian here in this topic. Anyway, that's how I'm feeling now... :(

2Z1aHRk.gif
    We were starting to feel for them, but i doubt they want pity. Imo its Even worse to be this helpless, just because two players, Even Good ones are missing. I liked to see them all being friendly with each other afterwards. They showed the Fans, how to do it.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    There's alot of talk about how poor Brazil were, but on the day they came up against an inspired and superb team. Unlike Colombia, Germany were not over-awed by the crowd or the atmosphere. They just went about their business. It was breath-taking.
    The Germans are a good, efficient and solid side who played well and were clinical. But lets not imagine for one second that this was akin to the mighty Magyars at Wembley, Brazil 70 or Dutch total football of the 70s.

Brazil were an utter embarrassment and even England would have taken them apart to the tune of 4 or 5. I doth think Holland or the Argies will lose much sleep over that - they know they aren't going to play even 10% as badly as that and they have world class players going forward not hapless pub player Fred.

With typical German efficiency they ruthlessly exploited the ineptitude of their opponents but the cause of this result was far more down to pitiful defending rather than sensational attacking. Hansen nearly had a stroke at half time!
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Sorry, I just can't help it:

Brasilien-Sieg-So-reagiert-das-Netz_gallery_348.jpg

It will be Holland-Germany now, I can feel it.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 11,425
    Totally bonkers game. Bit of a shame really. All life went out if it half way through the first half!

As an England supporter, I long ago got used to this sort of thing. Brazil should have seen it coming! Germany should never be understimated. I expect Germany to win now and they probably deserve it. But it would be nice if Holland finally got their first World Cup. Three finals and never having won it is a bit harsh.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 7,653
    Lets hope Argentina will cry tonight.

And hope the Dutch will cause some grief in South America. :D

So far, the game is about as exciting as watching paint dry.
  • imagine the the argies and the germans in the final....must bring happy memories for the older german generation who settled in argie land after ww2.
    I'm not sure if there's another brazilian here in this topic. Anyway, that's how I'm feeling now... :(

2Z1aHRk.gif

Don't worry too much Marketto! England fans are like that during the qualifying period let alone an actual International tournament! ;))
  • RogueAgent wrote:

2Z1aHRk.gif

Don't worry too much Marketto! England fans are like that during the qualifying period let alone an actual International tournament! ;))

he looks like he loves it a lot....i mean a lot...ribbed for his pleasure?

I enjoyed this comment on BBC live text more than the match so far:

Netherlands 0-0 Argentina
    Posted at 86 mins
    Four minutes to go. Germany could score four in that time.
    Will we get one?

Yes, the Germans must be smiling into their beers now. :)
    Robben should have finished it there and then!
    Yes, that was close! But still waiting for the back of the net ... still rooting for the Netherlands ...
    That is the first mistake I have seen Robben make the entire tournament. He took an absurd touch, and he should have slotted that past Romero.
    Finishing off is not a problem I encounter.

Do you live alone then? ;) :D
  • RogueAgent wrote:
    Finishing off is not a problem I encounter.

Do you live alone then? ;) :D

I have a pet Donkey called Dong.
    Sammm04 wrote:
    That is the first mistake I have seen Robben make the entire tournament. He took an absurd touch, and he should have slotted that past Romero.

Robben always takes three touches when one will do. Lionel one touch and hit. Difference between legend and merely world class.

Turgid dross - not quite sure why Holland are so keen to play for pens given their record is only marginally better than ours. Is Krul some sort of penalty superman that they can hinge everything on?
    What are the chances of Krul repeating that excellent shootout performance? Not high, me thinks. He still may be the best choice if it comes down to penalty kicks, but he won't have the strong psychological advantage this time.

I just want this done in extra time now, I really do.
This discussion has been closed.