Who Should Write the Next Bond Continuation Novel?

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I know, it's simply the odd use of two 1s and not the double I. Besides, I thought it was funny at the time.
    So the films can be current and make bond relevant but the novels can't..... I am kind of confused not going to lie plus Devil May Care and Solo made bond so relevant in those time periods.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 4,622
    Samuel001 wrote:
    To me, it appears he was the one who decided to leave:

http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/literature_benson_era_ends.php3
    Thanks for posting but that article actually I think reinforces the notion that he was allowed to bow out gracefully, rather than be fired.
    To wit, this little item.
    Reason b) The new Board of Directors of the Ian Fleming literary estate (formerly Glidrose, now Ian Fleming Publications Ltd.) want to concentrate on promoting the original Fleming books during the 50th anniversary year (hence the terrific Penguin reissues in both the UK and US).

It does not appear that the new Board was terrily interested in continuing with new contemporary Bond titles, and as we've seen they later plunged into Young Bond and MP Diaries, followed later by the Faulks experiment, the Deaver re-boot experiment and Boyd's recent attempt at reviving period Bond.
    Now its back to more Young Bond. Groan. At this stage if Benson can't be revived, I'd even settle for more Deaver continuing what he started with Carte Blanche. I like to read contemporary Bond.
    Once I get through the re-read of the set of 7 film adaptation novels (currently on #4 Goldeneye) I am going to commit to re-reading the entire 20 volume Gardner/Benson collection, seeing as nothing new is in the works.

@dragonpol regarding your post on Benson. Yes it does seem Benson might have had enough, but as you point out that might have had a lot to do with IFP's lack of enthusiasm for continuing, and their desire to move in a more Fleming focused vein.
    Personally, I think Benson could have been encouraged to continue, if there was appropriate energy and enthusiasm directed towards supporting his continued efforts, but it does not appear that there was.
    timmer wrote:
    [
    Once I get through the re-read of the set of 7 film adaptation novels (currently on #4 Goldeneye) I am going to commit to re-reading the entire 20 volume Gardner/Benson collection, seeing as nothing new is in the works.
    I admire your stamina but not your taste.
    Do yourself a favour and read 'I Am Pilgrim' - at least it will be time well spent!
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 4,622
    Villiers53 wrote:
    timmer wrote:
    [
    I admire your stamina but not your taste.
    Do yourself a favour and read 'I Am Pilgrim' - at least it will be time well spent!
    Actually that's a good idea. I Am Pilgrim is getting a lot of good "press" on this site. When I say re-reading the Gardner/Benson volumes, I am talking more at a casual pace, with the books inserted, between other reads - as a little Bond fix, in lieu of new titles.
    I did enjoy reading Gardner/Benson first time around simply because I like reading Bond.
    As I have never re-visited any of these titles, unlike the Flemings and post-Fleming Amis and Pearson books, I think it might be fun to re-visit the book Bond of the '80s to early '00s. It has been a while.

timmer wrote:
    [

Actually that's a good idea. I Am Pilgrim is getting a lot of good "press" on this site.

Take it from me, when you've read Hayes' masterpiece, you won't go near Benson's dross with a barge pole!
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 7
    Bring back Benson.
    Bring back no one.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Bring back no one.
    Regarding the current talent pool of thriller writers this sounds like a quite sensible solution. Come to think about it, a really talented guy wouldn't agree to write someone else's creation.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited August 2014 Posts: 17,728
    Matt_Helm wrote: »
    Bring back no one.
    Regarding the current talent pool of thriller writers this sounds like a quite sensible solution. Come to think about it, a really talented guy wouldn't agree to write someone else's creation.

Yes well that was the problem that thriller writer supremo had with the continuation Bond project - it wasn't his character, but he still did a very good job despite that.
  • Dragonpol wrote: »
    dragonsky wrote:
    What about Lee Child ? I think he can do a good job.

Well yes, again he has proven himself but he may not want the Bond association.

He's been asked twice already and turned it down both times.
    http://content.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1631477,00.html
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Bring back no one.

Yes well that was the problem that thriller writer supremo had with the continuation Bond project - it wasn't his character, but he still did a very good job despite that.

thriller writer supremo? You don't mean Deaver, do you?
    Bring back no one.

Like I said, Bond continuation novels are glorified fanfics. Continuation novels are, period.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I should write it. It will be pure poetry.
    Bring back no one.

I was in fact referring there to John Gardner.
    Bring back no one.

Your answer is soothing my soul! The idea, that someone could think of Deaver as a supreme thriller writer was really troubling me.
    edited August 2014 Posts: 17,728
    Bring back no one.

Your answer is soothing my soul! The idea, that someone could think of Deaver as a supreme thriller writer was really troubling me.

Well I am called Dragonpol in memory of the late great John Gardner.
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 2,594
    In terms of who I wouldn't want to write adult Bond, I definitely wouldn't want Faulks, Deaver or Benson!

Bring back John Pearson! The last book he wrote was in 2010. He's only 83. Plenty young enough providing he's in good health.
    Bring back Fleming or bring back nobody.
    Bring back Fleming or bring back nobody.

Oh, one of them. :)

Well, if they're going to cease having adult Bond books written, then they should stop making the movies too.

Why? Those are two different things, the latter being an adaptation from a source. A continuation is NOT an adaptation, it is a pastiche, or should be.
    Bounine wrote: »
    Bring back John Pearson! The last book he wrote was in 2010. He's only 83. Plenty young enough providing he's in good health.

Pearson is still around! Great. Yes please, another Pearson effort would be awesome, although he wrote in the Fleming timeline. I don't think we need a Bond in his late-80's book, but if he wanted to write Bond in the current context, ie pick up where Deaver left off with Carte Blanche, that would be great.

It's interesting that Anthony Horowitz has got a second Holmes book coming out.
    It's titled 'Moriarty' and will be published on October 23rd. His first, 'House Of Silk' was fabulous.
    Clearly the Conan Doyle estate recognise the benefit in commissioning a quality writer to commit to more than one novel. Oh how I wish IFP would take a leaf out of their book!
    Ironically, the late great John Gardner, wrote a couple of Moriarty stories but they didn't feature Baker Street's most famous sleuth.
    Maybe this is an omen and we could see Horowitz could transition into the role of Bond author?
    God knows we need him or Higson. Another misfire would be too much to take!
  • 007InVT007InVT Classified

Yes! He's hiding in plain sight!

His 'Authorized Biography of 007' is amazing. A continuation novel of sorts.

Villiers53 wrote: »
    It's interesting that Anthony Horowitz has got a second Holmes book coming out.
    It's titled 'Moriarty' and will be published on October 23rd. His first, 'House Of Silk' was fabulous.
    Clearly the Conan Doyle estate recognise the benefit in commissioning a quality writer to commit to more than one novel. Oh how I wish IFP would take a leaf out of their book!
    Ironically, the late great John Gardner, wrote a couple of Moriarty stories but they didn't feature Baker Street's most famous sleuth.
    Maybe this is an omen and we could see Horowitz could transition into the role of Bond author?
    God knows we need him or Higson. Another misfire would be too much to take!

Well you know my thoughts on Anthony Horowitz, @Villiers53. I concur and yes, interesting omen there perhaps regarding John Gardner, the last of his three 'Moriarty Journals' was of course entitled Moriarty (2008).
    timmer wrote: »

Pearson is still around! Great. Yes please, another Pearson effort would be awesome, although he wrote in the Fleming timeline. I don't think we need a Bond in his late-80's book, but if he wanted to write Bond in the current context, ie pick up where Deaver left off with Carte Blanche, that would be great.

Unfortunately it seems like IFP only want to go for authors who are very much in the public eye today. Much like Eon's philosophy when recruiting singers for the Bond themes. Bloody shame. A travesty.
    quote="timmer;365230"]
    Unfortunately it seems like IFP only want to go for authors who are very much in the public eye today. Much like Eon's philosophy when recruiting singers for the Bond themes. Bloody shame. A travesty.
    Notoriety does seem to be a pre-requisit and doubtless eliminates some useful talent from any IFP short list. Ironically, such is their incompetence, they can't even identify the correct famous.
    If the celebrity trilogy had been written by Furst, Cumming and Silva, we would probably now be singing IFP's praises from the roof tops and congratulating them on the wisdom of their strategy.
    As things stand, they are probably struggling to find anybody who will take up the mantle.
    I thought Faulks was a long shot and felt his intellectual snobbery would get in the way of him giving the project the attention it deserved. I always felt that the first sixty pages read well but the remainder was just dashed off.
    Deaver I just didn't understand at all and his offering turned out to be risible.
    Boyd surprised me. I was excited when he was chosen as I'd read and enjoyed two of his previous novels and felt there was something Flemingesque about his writing. My heightened expectation certainly added to my disappointment when the dour finished product arrived and I still feel that had IFP taken a stronger line, the result may have been different.
    All said, this self inflicted damage makes the franchise difficult and they will have to re-build reader trust. Regardless of the choice they should expect initial sales to be poor but if they get it right I remain optimistic that literary 007 has legs and the success of 'Young Bond' is a solid testimony to the potential.
    timmer wrote: »

If only that were true with Adele we got a great title song, the likes we did not have the last ten years or since Aha with TLD.

As for known writers I do not mind at least we keep the literary 007 alive. And while the books were not all that great they showed a variety of 007 that was entertaining. The only thing I really blame Boyd for is how he did not expanded on Bonds role in the imperialist tendencies after the decolonization of Africa. It would have made for a far more realistic version.
    SaintMark wrote: »

If only that were true with Adele we got a great title song, the likes we did not have the last ten years or since Aha with TLD.

As for known writers I do not mind at least we keep the literary 007 alive. And while the books were not all that great they showed a variety of 007 that was entertaining. The only thing I really blame Boyd for is how he did not expanded on Bonds role in the imperialist tendencies after the decolonization of Africa. It would have made for a far more realistic version.

I have to confess that with the exception of the original theme and Barry's fabulous background scores, I've found the title songs somewhat lacking albeit I wouldn't mind Caro Emerald giving it ago but maybe my motives are not just musical.
    Regarding SOLO, you make an excellent point about the decolonisation of Africa. That said, I think there were many more shortcomings. Not least of all the fact that he turned Bond into a badly dressed, voyeuristic, alcoholic that couldn't even choose a decent car!

• edited August 2014 Posts: 2,594
    @SaintMark

"If only that were true with Adele we got a great title song, the likes we did not have the last ten years or since Aha with TLD."

It's testament to the fact that hiring well knowns often doesn't work. They want to be too original and do their own thing. This goes for the singers and literary Bond authors. For me, Adele's tune was the first great Bond song since LTK, although I will say that Goldeneye is rather a good song but it doesn't stand the test of time as well as the excellent TLD and LTK does. As for the other pre Dalton era Bond tunes, I've always thought they were nice but not songs that stay in my head.

I originally thought that hiring well known authors would be a good idea but look at what has happened? I wish Deaver and Faulk's book had have never been written. There were some good bits in Boyd's novel but as others have said, having Bond drive that car and wearing certain items of apparel was disappointing. It's annoying when authors want to stamp their own mark on Bond. It seems lime it's more common with big names. Deaver had Bond wear a burgundy tie which was worse than what Boyd had him in. Deaver was wearing a burgundy tie at his book signing.