Back-to-Back: Name Your Favorite Double Features

13»

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I love 'Sin City,' but I've only heard terrible things about 'The Spirit,' so I've never wanted to even bother watching it. The trailers looked horrible.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Some of the acting is questionable, and I guess, to some it would seem like a Sin City fan film- but I wouldn't say it's horrible, just fairly average. The visuals are definitely the highlight here.
    Ehh, I can do average. Like I said, I'm a sucker for proper double features, so if it's worth a go, then I'll give it a shot someday.
    To be honest, I didn't even read up on the plot/reviews when I bought the film. I was just keen to see another film with those visuals. It also features Samuel L. Jackson, Scarlett Johansson, Stana Katic (Corinne from QOS), and Sarah Paulson (American Horror Story).
  • SirHilaryBrayOBESirHilaryBrayOBE Chez Hilly, Portsmouth
    It's not always back to back but certainly close together but primarily The Poseidon Adventure & Towering Inferno. If I watch one, the other follows soon enough.

Then Star Trek II and III (with IV trotting along).

And sometimes but rarely, Annie Hall & Manhattan.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    QBranch wrote:
    The Spirit (2008) / Sin City (2005)

Despite being released after Sin City, I'd watch The Spirit first, as it is the lesser quality of the two films. Granted, it has some memorable scenes, such as the scene at the swampland, the Octopus/his lair, and the smashing Eva Mendes photocopying her butt. However, Sin City really is the film to end on. In fact, it's probably my favourite film of 2005. You could swap out Spirit and pair Sin City with 300 (2007), as the three films were considered by some as a trio of sorts, until the latter two received sequels.

Agree with everything about this post. You could maybe throw Watchmen into the mix as well.
    @Thunderfinger I haven't seen Watchmen yet. I'll get around to it one of these years.
    You need to see it. Have you read the comics?
    Nah, I used to read comics a bit back in the day though. Mainly Phantom, Archie, and even some old Boris Karloff comics.
    I read The Phantom as a kid. Well, not just as a kid, but mostly then. A Phantom movie is rumoured. Wonder how that pans out.
    I saw 'Watchmen' many years ago and loved it, but when I tried to watch the Director's Cut a few weeks ago, I wasn't feeling it and I turned it off. Great movie, but that's not the version I saw in the past, and I just felt like it had so many unnecessary scenes crammed into it. That, and I don't think I was really in the mood for a long film.
    edited July 2014 Posts: 13,879
    I read The Phantom as a kid. Well, not just as a kid, but mostly then. A Phantom movie is rumoured. Wonder how that pans out.
    Cool. I could really get into that. I still enjoy watching the 1996 film from time to time. It's a surprise it took so long to get that film, considering when Phantom was created.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I saw 'Watchmen' many years ago and loved it, but when I tried to watch the Director's Cut a few weeks ago, I wasn't feeling it and I turned it off. Great movie, but that's not the version I saw in the past, and I just felt like it had so many unnecessary scenes crammed into it. That, and I don't think I was really in the mood for a long film.
    So, you reckon I should go for the theatrical cut? I watched the trailer, and yes, the style is quite reminiscent of the Frank Miller films.
    @QBranch, I would say so, yes. Give that a shot, and if you love it, then watch the Director's Cut one day. It contains a bunch of backstory scenes (from what I saw) that help add more story to the characters and the past and whatnot. It was good from what I saw, I just wasn't in the mood to watch it.
    Jean-Claude Van Damme says: "Watch Double Impact & Bloodsport... OR ELSE!"

jean_claude_van_damme.jpg