Back-to-Back: Name Your Favorite Double Features

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    QBranch wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I didn't buy it because I need to quit buying movies that I don't recall if I loved them or not.
    I see what you did there. Totally.

:D

I was reading another forum where people were talking about movies on sale, and 'Heat' was one of them, and it got me thinking of what would be an amazing double feature by the same director (Michael Mann).

'Heat'/'Thief' would work wonderfully together. They're both essentially the same plot, only 'Heat' is more action-packed with a lot more characters, but seeing the blue, neon streets of 'Thief' with a wonderful soundtrack by Tangerine Dream as James Caan's character tries to make a life for himself, just to finish it and turn to 'Heat' where we can't help but root for the good and bad guys, would make for one exciting time. I'm going to have to try this now.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    2001 and 2010 is a given.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I don't think I experienced 2010. I must've been high all year.

@Creasy I remember there was a time when I thought, 'Wouldn't it be epic to see Pacino and De Niro in a film together?!'- and then I discovered Heat. Wow, what an awesome film. Granted, I only saw it once, maybe 10 years ago, so I must get to watching it again sometime soon. I haven't seen Thief, I'll add it to the list.
    @QBranch, please do, 'Heat' is a phenomenal thrill ride, containing the greatest bank robbery (and subsequent shootout) scene I've ever witnessed in a film. I saw bits and pieces of 'Thief,' decided to buy it on blu-ray, and it was worth every penny. It's also about a bank robber, but it mostly focuses on him and his team, while he tries to get out of the business to start a life with a woman he meets. Things go south quickly, as expected.

Speaking of Pacino and De Niro, you should keep their screen appearance together on 'Heat,' and please don't ever watch the steaming pile of feces that is 'Righteous Kill.'
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    QBranch wrote:
    I don't think I experienced 2010. I must've been high all year.

@Creasy I remember there was a time when I thought, 'Wouldn't it be epic to see Pacino and De Niro in a film together?!'- and then I discovered Heat. Wow, what an awesome film. Granted, I only saw it once, maybe 10 years ago, so I must get to watching it again sometime soon. I haven't seen Thief, I'll add it to the list.

Do not expect anything as brilliant as 2001(Peter Hyams was no Stanley Kubrick), but still an enjoyable film and Scheider is good in it.

When will we see 2061 on the screen?
    Always thought "The Two Towers" and "Return Of The King" from the LOTR trilogy complimented each other brilliantly!
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Always thought "The Two Towers" and "Return Of The King" from the LOTR trilogy complimented each other brilliantly!

Now that I have the Extended Trilogy, I'm going to pick a day this week, just so I can get up super early and watch all three in a row.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

Now that I have the Extended Trilogy, I'm going to pick a day this week, just so I can get up super early and watch all three in a row.

If you have managed a Bond marathon? That will be a piece of cake! ;)
    The Empire Strikes Back & Return of the Jedi.
    @RogueAgent, I've done many Bond marathons, but most certainly not in a row. ;-)

I continuously try to get up early enough to do this trilogy marathon, but my body won't let me. Now I'm thinking I'll either have to watch two in one day, or watch all three very late through the night.
    How could I forget Ghostbusters 1 / 2. I don't get how many people dismiss the second film. I thought it was nearly on par with the first.
    I love 'Ghostbusters,' but I haven't seen the second one in a long while. I'd say the original few 'Ghostbusters' films are the only ones to really hang on to, because I don't see this new film coming out anytime soon. They make progress on it, then someone bails, then it gets pushed back, then more progress is made, etc. I'll have to give the first two a back-to-back rewatch at some point, thanks to your suggestion, @QBranch.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @RogueAgent, I've done many Bond marathons, but most certainly not in a row. ;-)

I continuously try to get up early enough to do this trilogy marathon, but my body won't let me. Now I'm thinking I'll either have to watch two in one day, or watch all three very late through the night.

:-)) Well ? It's always the risk of constant interuptions during the day? At night maybe your best bet? But obviously do not have to be anywhere the following day? ;)
    I have nothing going on this summer, so pretty much anytime works for me, but I figure if I get up early enough, I can knock them out through the morning, day, evening, and night, because if it gets too late, I fear I'll end up passing out and missing out on it!
    Predator and Aliens the 2 most testosterone induced movies of all!!
    yogi1 wrote:
    Predator and Aliens the 2 most testosterone induced movies of all!!

I think you need to see 'Commando,' as well. ;-)
    Commando comes a close 3rd.Although Expendables 1&2 would also be good!!
    LALD & TMWTGG - aka The Sheriff Pepper Saga
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 12,506
    Guinness followed by a Jack Daniels chaser! :D ;)
    edited July 2014 Posts: 13,879
    Beverly Hills Cop I & II

QBranch wrote:
    Beverly Hills Cop I & II

Oh, I like that idea a lot! The first 'Beverly Hills Cop' is fantastic. I don't like the second as much, but the third holds a special place to me because I watched it so damn much when I was young.
    I've only watched the third one a couple of times, but I don't think it's a patch on the first two- which I find to be pretty much the same quality. Let's hope the fourth film does well. Although, I'm finding it a bit difficult to imagine that after all this time- not to mention the films Murphy has made since- that he could still tap into the same Axel Foley humour that made the franchise a success. Deep down, I feel the whole series should've stayed in the 80s.
    At least Murphy really hasn't aged. Granted, he hasn't done a proper action/comedy film in years, but he hasn't aged terribly and I'm sure he still has the acting chops to pull off Foley's personality. However, this 'Beverly Hills Cop IV' news first appeared when I was in the midst of high school, about six, seven years ago? It still hasn't made progress, aside from the TV pilot they shot and later dumped. Let's hope something happens with the movie relatively soon.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    The film has a release date sometime in March 2016. I can't remember when off the top of my head.

It's worth noting, for all the complaining about the amount of time between Indy films, the break here will be even longer.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    The film has a release date sometime in March 2016. I can't remember when off the top of my head.

It's worth noting, for all the complaining about the amount of time between Indy films, the break here will be even longer.

Is that just a placeholder? I thought the film was actually gearing up and making progress, but I haven't heard anything in a few months. Well, let us hope, then, that it isn't as big of a disappointment as 'Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull' was. ;-)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited July 2014 Posts: 13,350
    No, it's the actual release date. 25th March 2016 - just looked it up for you, by the writers of Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol. Directed by Brett Retner. With filmng a while away don't expect to hear anything yet.

I haven't heard anything about a new James Bond film in a while but that doesn't mean it isn't happening! :)

Also, I agree, get ready to be let down. Again.
    Oh, nice. Well I figure within six months we'll hear more news, or we'll just hear that it has been pushed back once more. Time will tell.

Well, Bond is a successful 50-year plus series, much different than a sequel to a couple of movies from roughly 20 years ago. :-) However, I won't complain when it gears up, would love to see more Foley, especially if Rosewood and Taggert return.
    I wonder if a period piece would work for the film. I mean, it wasn't just the characters that made those films a success, it was also the music, the drug baron/gun-runner themes so heavily played out in that decade etc. Like Back to the Future, the series was tailor-made for the 80s. Could they set it after the events of the second film, and disregard the fact that the actors have aged by nearly 30 years? Just wishful thinking, I guess.
    The greatest of double features for me would be:

Monty Python and The Holy Grail (My favourite Comedy of all time)

Followed By:

Monty Python's Life Of Brian (My second favourite Comedy of all time)
    The Spirit (2008) / Sin City (2005)

Despite being released after Sin City, I'd watch The Spirit first, as it is the lesser quality of the two films. Granted, it has some memorable scenes, such as the scene at the swampland, the Octopus/his lair, and the smashing Eva Mendes photocopying her butt. However, Sin City really is the film to end on. In fact, it's probably my favourite film of 2005. You could swap out Spirit and pair Sin City with 300 (2007), as the three films were considered by some as a trio of sorts, until the latter two received sequels.