Last album you listened to?

Comments

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    As a big fan of synthpop, I'm going to take your advice @Thunderfinger, and listen to Propaganda. Also, I'm a pretty big fan of Simple Minds and Frankie Goes to Hollywood, but I've not heard much outside their greatest hits. It'll be great to check out their albums in full.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited June 2014 Posts: 45,489
    QBranch wrote:
    As a big fan of synthpop, I'm going to take your advice @Thunderfinger, and listen to Propaganda. Also, I'm a pretty big fan of Simple Minds and Frankie Goes to Hollywood, but I've not heard much outside their greatest hits. It'll be great to check out their albums in full.

Simple Minds were the best in the early 80s. Check out Empires And Dance, Sons And Fascination, New Gold Dream and Sparkle In The Rain.

Listening to The Best of Nick Cave &The Bad Seeds now.
    Heaven & Earth Yes for a band that is now 45 years ol they sure are still taking a ton of risks I love the new album.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 2,782
    Electric - The Cult.

Dare you not to do air guitar to anyone of the tracks on this most superb album from the Goth godfathers.

Sign o the times - Prince and the revolution. Seminal music.

Beats & Bruises - Miss Li - just great catchy pop - they even play their own instruments.

Linda, Miss Li, is actually a friend of mine! :) We live in the same city.

I listened to TSWLM soundtrack on vinyl today..

Dude, you have to get me some sort of signed stuff for me - pm please. She's a brilliant singer song writer and single-handedly - sold millions of itouches, sofas, cars....her songs have been on some of the biggest tv ads the last few years.

She rocks. You've made my day.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited July 2014 Posts: 23,448
    Bonded: A Tribute To The Music Of James Bond
    Jaimee Paul

1363159799_jaimee-paul-bonded-a-tribute-to-the-music-of-james-bond-2013.jpg

I must admit I usually back away from remixes or artist X sings Bond type of stuff, but Jaimee Paul's salute to the music of James Bond was recommended to me by a good friend and following said friend's advice I gave this one a shot. Well, I hesitate to call this *just* a redo of the Bond songs; I actually think Jaimee Paul has improved on some of the songs we all love so much. Her version of TND, for example, impresses me a lot more than Crow's original. I also love what she's done with AVTAK. I feel like serving Wodka Martinis and putting on the tux when I hear this album. Very jazzy, relaxing and fresh. A recommended album for Bond fans.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    For the first time in a while I listened, in it's entirety, to my all time favorite album. ABC's Lexicon of Love.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The Greatest Video Game Music played by the London Philharmonic Orchestra.
    TheGreatestVideoGameMusic.jpg
    I'm not much of a gamer these days, I but I do enjoy listening to video game music. I love these orchestral adaptations of famous game music. From Mario to Metal Gear to Mass Effect and Call of Duty. My favorite song in this album has got to be the Orchestral cover of "The Soviet Connection." Which is the main theme to Grand Theft Auto IV. Great listen.
    Timmer, re Abbey Road: I especially love listening to the second side all the way through to the finish. Although Here Comes the Sun is on the first side and it is sublime. The whole thing is a masterpiece, truly.
    Abbey Road for sure is one of the great all-time albums. Most casual music fans would probably recognize at least half of it, with timeless Beatles hits such as Come Together, the two George Harrison standards, Here Comes The Sun and Something, and other songs that get a lot of play but whose titles may not be so instantly recognizable.

I like the way the album is fleshed out with so much solid but less heralded material such as, Oh Darling, She's So Heavy, You Never Give Me Your Money, Polythene Pam, She Came in Through the Bathroom Window. The Beatles are the ultimate supergroup. No wonder they broke up. The band was populated by three of the giants of pop music plus a real good drummer. Lennon, McCartney and Harrison were destined I think to lead their own bands and ultimately go their own way, but we sure were lucky that they worked together for as long as they did.
    I am a Stones fan first, ( love the Mick and Keith show) but I can't help but be in awe of the pure talent of the Beatles. They've influenced virtually all of pop/rock music, even the experimental bands like Floyd. There was no more experimental studio band than the fab four.

The Young Gods-Live Sky Tour

I watched them in 1992, and this is from that very tour so a must for me. Brilliant Swiss band.
    The God Machine-Scenes from the 2nd Storey

This English band only made two albums, but they were both instant classics. Saw them in 1993, one of the best concerts I have been to.
    Monty Python Sings (again) - a re-working of the original Monty Python Sings with different track order and and additional songs. Of the additional songs, the archival tracks are fine but could have done without the 3 modern day Eric Idle songs being added.
    Sonic Youth-Dirty
    "new" Pink Floyd album coming.

Pink Floyd's "final" album, The Division Bell, was released in 1994. The band's guitarist, singer and de facto leader, David Gilmour, apparently intends to commemorate the occasion with a deluxe reissue – and something a little more anticipated: the first new Pink Floyd album in two decades.

Gilmour's wife, author Polly Samson, leaked the news on Twitter Saturday, writing, "Pink floyd album out in October is called The Endless River. Based on 1994 sessions is Rick Wright's swansong and very beautiful."

http://www.people.com/article/new-pink-floyd-album-endless-river-october
    Dookie- Green Day (1994)

I'm a classic rocker by nature, rarely ever leaving the comfort of the '60s, '70s, and '80s classic rock groups, but every now and then, I enjoy a nice dip in the pool of '90s punk/grunge. I've had the opening track stuck in my head all day, but that's fine, because it's a rip-roaring song!
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited July 2014 Posts: 2,629
    timmer wrote:
    "new" Pink Floyd album coming.

Pink Floyd's "final" album, The Division Bell, was released in 1994. The band's guitarist, singer and de facto leader, David Gilmour, apparently intends to commemorate the occasion with a deluxe reissue – and something a little more anticipated: the first new Pink Floyd album in two decades.

Gilmour's wife, author Polly Samson, leaked the news on Twitter Saturday, writing, "Pink floyd album out in October is called The Endless River. Based on 1994 sessions is Rick Wright's swansong and very beautiful."

http://www.people.com/article/new-pink-floyd-album-endless-river-october

Thanks timmer, I hadn't heard of this until now. I am so looking forward to this.

I think The Endless River is a great title. It's the second to last line of High Hopes, which is the last song on The Division Bell.

Received my copy of Mutter on vinyl by Rammstein. I'm a huge fan. Great sounding album. Love or hate what they sing about, the music is amazing.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I've been mixing it up, but I've mostly been listening to some 'Rush' albums and the first two albums from 'Suburban Legends.'
    Paula Anka - Rock Swings

with such brilliant reworkings to swing music crooner style as

Black hole sun
    eye of the tiger
    Jump
    eyes without a face

Just sheer excellence
    The Sisters of Mercy-Vision Thing

Clearly the lesser of their three albums. Still damn good. The fourth has been in the making for 20 years, but I guess they are too stoned or whatever, since Andrew Eldritch moved to Hamburg.
    U2-THE JOSHUA TREE

The last absolutely brilliant album by this band, but they never turned bad.

Hold on what about Achtung Baby?
    edited July 2014 Posts: 45,489
    Achtung Baby was pretty brilliant, too. You got me there.

Now listening to

Siouxsie and the Banshees-Wonderland

This was the period when Robert Smith of The Cure was a member, and the mutual influence between the bands was obvious. (Mid 80s)
    Kerim wrote:
    I think The Endless River is a great title. It's the second to last line of High Hopes, which is the last song on The Division Bell.
    NIce catch! Taken from High Hopes.
    Yes, a fresh blast of Floyd would be most welcome. Looks like Gilmour and Mason have been working with this material that they did with Wright, and are now ready to publish.
    Mason says this side project to the Division Bell was originally called "The Big Spliff."

NEW ORDER-live in London 1st December 1983.

Yes, it is a bootleg. So arrest me.
    SaintMark wrote:
    Paula Anka - Rock Swings

with such brilliant reworkings to swing music crooner style as

Black hole sun
    eye of the tiger
    Jump
    eyes without a face

Just sheer excellence

And Smells Like Teen Spirit, my second favorite cover of the song after Patti Smith's.
    Paul and Paula Anka? Like the song?
    Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral

Along with The Wall, in terms of concept this is the single biggest influence on my own album that I'm writing. Start to finish this album is perfection, it's haunting, it's beautiful, it's angry, it's perverted, it's grotesque all in one 65 minute package. Best NIN album without any semblance of doubt, 100% in my all time top ten and probably my top five at that.
    GNR-Lies

Exactly, not my music at all. They had a couple of decent tracks, but not something I listen to voluntarily.
    Paul and Paula Anka? Like the song?

yes, Paul Anka. :D

This fternoon : Judy Collins's "Judith". Still as good as ever, with one of the best covers of "City of New Orleans".
    edited July 2014 Posts: 45,489
    Mazzy Star-So Tonight That I Might See

Perfect goodnight music, so on that note: Good night. I am an early riser.